With Barksdale gone, rookie Havenstein takes over at RT/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Or they might be fine.

In 2013, the Chicago Bears scored 445 points (2nd in NFL) learning a new offense and with only one returning OLineman (Roberto Garza). The other starters were a raw rookie in Kyle Long & rookie 4th Rounder Jordan Mills (at RG & RT respectively) along with vet free agent pickups Jermon Bushrod & Matt Slausen (hardly world beaters).

Perhaps, not the same situation, but who knows?

If the run blocking is strong, I believe that the Rams should be fine minus a lot of injuries again. Strong run blocking just sets up the play action game and helps the OLine. Besides, RBs can still chip oncoming pass rushers and TEs can still stay in and block at times.
Chicago doesn't play against a defensive powerhouse NFC West. I'm not being pessimistic I'm just being realistic. D'Marco Farr ranked them a 4 out of 5 on how extremely worried he is about them going into this year. for a little hind sight, most thought the line looked good last offseason but i was pretty worried and i guess rightly so. all you need is one starting injury and the chain links fall apart. they needed that one veteran but didn't get it. guess we'll see.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I disagree with all the talk about this Oline will have a rough start. Every years teams draft and plug in young linemen all the time.

What people have to realize is that Robinson came from a school where they ran the ball almost 90 percent of the time so he had to adjust to the pass protection part of NFL football.

The guys we drafted this year basically played 3 or 4 years of college football in pro style offenses. Some blocked for the best backs in football and all came from good programs.

I think they will be fine, maybe a couple bumps along the way, but after watching the vets we had last year get beat like a drum.

I don't see that happening with these big young strong linemen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't be surprised if we only start one rookie. Something tells me Reynolds' time has come and will get to start in the beginning. Heck, Jones may start too and we may not start any rookies. It's a complete crap shoot from the get go so hang on for the ride. It could be ugly or it could be special. Fingers still crossed.

I agree with you here Husker as close to usual. Garrett Reynolds & Boudreau has a bit of history together as well as Les Snead. Both RamOrg'ers were involved in the selection of this Right OT in the 5th rd of the 2009 draft by the Falcons. Most all of his college starts were @ ORT. During his rookie & 2nd season his was Boudreau's versatile right side OL'er. In Paul Boudreau's & Les Snead's last season with the Falcons (GR's 3rd season 2011) the just under 6-8 310 pounder started 7 games @ ORT. So point is the Ram Org knows what they purchased in GR.

After Snead's & Boudreau's departure in 2012 GR was moved inside to ORG after they drafted ORT Lamar Holmes in the 2nd rd. Things went south for the starting ORG and his next two seasons ended on the IR & demotion from the ORG post. GR dismal performance @ ORG lead to not being resigned by the Falcons & he was signed by the Lions. In 2014 Gr started 4 games @ Right OT & finished many other games as the starter @ Right OT. GR did finish the 2014 season as the starting OG in the Lions wild card game with Dallas.

Its just my guess but when the Ram Org. finalized the post 2014 season player reviews.....that they had a OL'er with the skills very close to Garrett Reynolds listed as a upper priority. Did the Rams have RIGHT side OL'er who had NFL starting experience who could start @ ORT & start @ either OG post in an emergency?

Over the last 4 seasons GR has started 27 games & 48 NFL games played/dressed as the right side versatile top reserve. GR's best two season came in 2011 (with Boudreau) & 2013 when he finished 15 games as the starting Right OT not ORG! It hard (not impossible) for a OL'er who is close to 6-8 high cut & extra long arms to play Right OG. The abilities that Barksdale does not have is what GR brings are ....is he is very alert in pass protection & he is good @ recognizing the blitz and he can react appropriately to diminish it. Then add in that GR can play ORT/OLG & ORG.....Hey Barksdale can you do any of this? NO!

In Conclusion: I believe that GR will open in TC as the first team starting ORT. Good chance he can retain it until one of the new rookie OL'ers beat him out. Once that plan unfolds then GR will perform the duties & responsibilities GR was signed to do, be the top game day right side reserve .Once the Rams signed GR to a contract that has 2 mil worth of incentives on top of the base 2 year, $2,200,000. Barksdale was HISTORY!

P.S. Boudreau has the two top contending ORT's to start are both just under 6-8 tall?

Last edited:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
One reason might be that although these OL "rookies" have been described as "road graders", "refrigerators with legs", etc., they lack pass pro experience and as a result, (could) get the QB killed...sound familiar?

yes it does sound familiar but tell me could they be any worse than wells and joseph I mean really those guys were just horrible. I don't think they Cant pass block they just aren't as good at it as run blocking. im impressed with Frankenstein he is in great shape doesn't even look like the same guy as in his film. im looking forward to the new blood on the line.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yes it does sound familiar but tell me could they be any worse than wells and joseph I mean really those guys were just horrible. I don't think they Cant pass block they just aren't as good at it as run blocking. im impressed with Frankenstein he is in great shape doesn't even look like the same guy as in his film. im looking forward to the new blood on the line.

That should be one big help for expectations for the new linemen. At least two of the starters they're replacing had such poor play that they should do at least as well, and improve as the season goes along. JB was better than many give him credit for, but even then he had a down year in some ways.

I still would like a veteran guard for the team so that the team can have a vet next to each inexperienced linemen, but I'm less panicked by it than I was initially.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Hope the competition is based on one thing. Being ready with 5 MEN ready to DOMINATE against the seahags from day one game one and every minute of everyday dedicated to strength,speed,smarts, working as a unit and if subbed during a game then only come back better and stronger. The plan was set early on and it has been followed as close to it could be with a below average but very large group of draftable and undrafted OL.

Too late for what ifs and who we missed. Everyone get in the wheelbarrow. "GOTTA GO TO WORK". We may bring ole' Dicky V. to run practices if you don't wanna work hard. We will carry a very large group as I see it now till we start to see some real seperation from the players and the pretenders. I'd hold nothing back. Don't bring em' along slow. We drafted for smarts and endurance so grab a rope and hang on. Some might even lose some weight as hard as this big group should fight in training. Show and give no quarter. I hope we get penalties for biting fingers off.
Yes! Yes! Yes!
maxresdefault.jpg

Memphis Ram

Legend
Chicago doesn't play against a defensive powerhouse NFC West. I'm not being pessimistic I'm just being realistic. D'Marco Farr ranked them a 4 out of 5 on how extremely worried he is about them going into this year. for a little hind sight, most thought the line looked good last offseason but i was pretty worried and i guess rightly so. all you need is one starting injury and the chain links fall apart. they needed that one veteran but didn't get it. guess we'll see.

Yeah, but the forgotten Reynolds is a veteran.

I don't know. I watched the Rams almost beat Seattle with a starting OLine of LT Wayne Hunter, LG Quinn Ojinnaka, C Robert Turner, RG Harvey Dahl, RT Barry Richardson. And if Greg the Leg did his job, they would have won that game.

Surely, the Oline couldn't get worse than that can it?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

It's okay man. In my Madden connected franchise, the rams signed Blalock to a 1 year deal. And I'm just playing as the QB. They actually signed him on their own. I take this as a sign from above. Blalock will be wearing horns.(y)