William Hayes believes dinosaurs never existed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I just dreamed the moon exploded. How does this relate? I feel it is connected somehow to this thread.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I dreamed about Ray Charles last night, and he could see just fine.

</obscurereference>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just dreamed the moon exploded. How does this relate? I feel it is connected somehow to this thread.
I used to have that dream as a kid. Didn't bother me until high school when I did some research into what would happen if that actually did occur.
Couldn't sleep for a week after that.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Pretty sure Faulk had serious doubts about the moon landing. Probably would have been better off without him.:huh:

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
One of my favorite quotes of the season is from William Hayes: "Education makes people stupid."

Gotta love that guy. Glad he's on the team.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I used to have that dream as a kid. Didn't bother me until high school when I did some research into what would happen if that actually did occur.

Of the different ways space can kill us, the moon is probably one of the least scariest. Gamma ray bursts could, if pointed directly at us, wipe out most of our atmosphere, and due to the radiation cause mass exinction. One across the galaxy could easily do it, one across the universe could as well. We detect new bursts nearly every day as well.

Luckily the chances one is pointed directly at us is extremely low, and our galaxy doesn't seem to be a good place for a lot of them to occur (they occur from the collapse of supermassive stars, colliding black holes or colliding neutron stars generally of which those last two aren't a huge threat because they have short bursts of the gamma rays) but we never know for sure.

Or if a magnetar came between Earth and the moons orbit it could easily strip all magnetic strips, destroy all electronics and then kill all life on earth, in that order. Again, very unlikely to happen, but since we never focus our funding on space, one could potentially sneak up on us suddenly. They, like other neutron stars are typically about 10-15 miles across but have more mass than the sun. Luckily for us they tend to burn off their extreme magnetic fields quickly, at least in terms of the universe, lasting roughly 10,000 years.

The moon blowing up would probably give the survivors a nice ring and calm oceans to enjoy.:LOL:

rams2050

Starter
My friend (creationist Fundamentalist Christian) is actually attending some kind of Podunk Bible school and spending huge amounts of money on credit hours that will make him a so-called 'doctor of theology,' a doctorate, I might add, which will be good ONLY in fundamentalist Christian churches and, perhaps, one or two fundamentalist Christian colleges.

I believe in God, but if He is eternal, then why would he be so invested in creating the world in 7 days? Each of His days could last a billion years without affecting Him in the least.

Anyway, not to get off on a tangent, but my friend believes with all his heart that Satan planted all those fossils to lead the infidels (non-fundamentalist Christians and others) astray. He cannot get through his head that the Devil doesn't have to plant bones to lead folks astray; temptations galore abound. I find this entire line of thought sort of incomprehensible, especially the part where he will be spending probably $50,000 on a 'degree' that, essentially, will be worthless.

Unless, of course, he starts his own church and then, in that case, it might be worth a lot. (ha ha)

Alan

Legend
bluecoconuts auditioning for Mysteries of The Universe:
Of the different ways space can kill us, the moon is probably one of the least scariest. Gamma ray bursts could, if pointed directly at us, wipe out most of our atmosphere, and due to the radiation cause mass exinction. One across the galaxy could easily do it, one across the universe could as well. We detect new bursts nearly every day as well.

Luckily the chances one is pointed directly at us is extremely low, and our galaxy doesn't seem to be a good place for a lot of them to occur (they occur from the collapse of supermassive stars, colliding black holes or colliding neutron stars generally of which those last two aren't a huge threat because they have short bursts of the gamma rays) but we never know for sure.

Or if a magnetar came between Earth and the moons orbit it could easily strip all magnetic strips, destroy all electronics and then kill all life on earth, in that order. Again, very unlikely to happen, but since we never focus our funding on space, one could potentially sneak up on us suddenly. They, like other neutron stars are typically about 10-15 miles across but have more mass than the sun. Luckily for us they tend to burn off their extreme magnetic fields quickly, at least in terms of the universe, lasting roughly 10,000 years.

The moon blowing up would probably give the survivors a nice ring and calm oceans to enjoy.:LOL:
Good one Carl! (y) :LOL:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, this dream was so vivid that I got up and googled it. Seems we'd be pretty screwed if our moon disappeared. Earth's axis would more than likely develop a healthy bobble if not its orbit around the Sun could change. All ugly results I'm afraid. I did learn the moon is drifting away from the Earth at 3.8cm per year so earth is doomed in about a billion years anyways.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah, this dream was so vivid that I got up and googled it. Seems we'd be pretty screwed if our moon disappeared. Earth's axis would more than likely develop a healthy bobble if not its orbit around the Sun could change. All ugly results I'm afraid. I did learn the moon is drifting away from the Earth at 3.8cm per year so earth is doomed in about a billion years anyways.

The sun will die and destroy the earth long before the moon drifts away. The moon drifting away does lengthen our days though, so by the time it does get away days will probably be about 40 hours long. This will be roughly 40-50 billion years after the sun turns to a red giant though, so we won't experience it, in fact the earth will likely be engulfed when the sun expands anyway, about 4-5 billion years.

No worries though, in about a billion years the sun (which is heating up as it ages) will probably evaporate all water in earth, and within another billion years fry any remaining microbe that was able to survive. The only hope for the human race to survive into the very far future is to get the hell out of the solar system.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The sun will die and destroy the earth long before the moon drifts away. The moon drifting away does lengthen our days though, so by the time it does get away days will probably be about 40 hours long. This will be roughly 40-50 billion years after the sun turns to a red giant though, so we won't experience it, in fact the earth will likely be engulfed when the sun expands anyway, about 4-5 billion years.

No worries though, in about a billion years the sun (which is heating up as it ages) will probably evaporate all water in earth, and within another billion years fry any remaining microbe that was able to survive. The only hope for the human race to survive into the very far future is to get the hell out of the solar system.

I've wondered about how the species will survive long term and I don't think it'll be on this rock either. I wouldn't' want to be around when they decide who goes and who stays because I know I wouldn't be on the bus lol. I've occasionally wondered if that is the reason that long distance probes are sent out, to see if there is something viable.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
PS I think we all have a bit of an internal conspiracy theorist. Like @Elmgrovegnome grandpa, I'm not convinced there isn't something willfully amiss in the (JFK assassination) Warren Report. That said, I don't think that Oliver Stone got it right either.

PS #2, having spent what might have been one of the longest days of my life in Disney World Magic Kingdom on Wed (still in Orlando, going to Epcot today) I can vouch for the viewpoint that it is NOT the happiest place on earth, at least not close to the Christmas holidays. Babies were crying in four part harmony, a clear indication of a conspiracy! But I was saved by a Christmas miracle, the "It's a small world" ride broke down after waiting in line for only 20 mins (true story). I fell to my knees and wept soft "thank you"s to our Alien Overlord masters for their mercy (less true, but suffice it to say I wasn't entirely disappointed).

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I've wondered about how the species will survive long term and I don't think it'll be on this rock either. I wouldn't' want to be around when they decide who goes and who stays because I know I wouldn't be on the bus lol. I've occasionally wondered if that is the reason that long distance probes are sent out, to see if there is something viable.

I think the universe is littered with the remains of civilizations that either destroyed themselves too early, or made the decision to stay on their planet/neighborhood instead of venture out into the universe because of whatever reason (cost, energy, lack of desire, etc).... Unfortunately I think humans will use the cost as an excuse for staying here until its too late for us to do any real progress, and we'll be doomed. Millions or maybe billions of years from now another civilization will find the remains of humans on earth, or our probes in space (or rovers on some of the other planets/moons) and that will all be left of us. Nothing but a question of why did we stop when we were so close.

Probes we send out aren't really for viability, because it takes way too long for that, but we can get a good make up of different planets with the Kepler mission, so far we've found hundreds of potentially habitable planets. So if we decide to stay put it likely won't be due to a lack of planets.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I recall a skit on the Chapelle Show that had the president of the United States telling reporters that he had the cure for Aids, had the technology for Cloning Humans and had two hot White girls there tp prove it, and was friends with an Alien named Bibble, who gave us he technology to create such wonders as the XBox and Playstation II. Then he said the Earth was doomed due to a large meteor headed our way and he was leaving Earth with Bibble and taking the two White bitches with him. Then he said,"Hibble, dibble its all about Bibble. Siyonara bitches.". And they disappeared.

I wonder if there is a big secret plan that Government officials have decided on about who they would save in their underground facilities in case of catastrophe. And I agree that not spending money on the space program is a critical error, however they would need an enormous amount of ships to move a significant amount of people. So far they can carry what? A dozen? And who would get to go? Physicians, Scientists, some of Hitlers Master Race descendants? It would be interesting to see how they decided. Some countries could potentially have zero representatives but to keep the gene pool strong they would have to be diverse and the number would have to be huge. Wouldn't it?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Things we 21st Century carbon units have much need to worry about eh?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
PS I think we all have a bit of an internal conspiracy theorist. Like @Elmgrovegnome grandpa, I'm not convinced there isn't something willfully amiss in the (JFK assassination) Warren Report. That said, I don't think that Oliver Stone got it right either.

PS #2, having spent what might have been one of the longest days of my life in Disney World Magic Kingdom on Wed (still in Orlando, going to Epcot today) I can vouch for the viewpoint that it is NOT the happiest place on earth, at least not close to the Christmas holidays. Babies were crying in four part harmony, a clear indication of a conspiracy! But I was saved by a Christmas miracle, the "It's a small world" ride broke down after waiting in line for only 20 mins (true story). I fell to my knees and wept soft "thank you"s to our Alien Overlord masters for their mercy (less true, but suffice it to say I wasn't entirely disappointed).
Oh, thanks for reminding me of the torture my wife is putting me through come Wednesday when I too will get to enjoy Orlando for a few days. You are so lucky "it's a small world" broke down for you. You cannot get that song out of your head afterwards.

And the JFK thing, big secrets there but we will never know what went down.