Will Wagner make Donald better?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
My one knock on Donald through the years has been that he sometimes penetrates and does not hold the gap.

Without strong ILB, sometimes meant big runs up the gut.

With Bobby Wag behind him, AD may be able to let loose knowing that BW is there to cleanup if needed.

Might allow AD more freedom to make splash plays without having to hold gap assignments.

Where AD makes edge rushers like Von better, it could be that BW makes AD better.

Thoughts?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I've thought about this too and completely agree. I think it's going to give him more confidence to penetrate the gap and make the splash play knowing Wagner and even E Jones will be there.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Containing Donald will always be he focusing point for opposing offenses. He is the best person on that side of the ball. It will always be Donald that makes others on the defense shine, because of the double teaming and scheming by the offense.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The idea that Donald does not play the run is overstated. Look up his TFL stats and his play against the Niners and Bengals in the playoffs.

I think Donald makes Wagner better if anything. Wagner will be free to fill up the holes that our previous ILBs missed. Previously, if the DL didn't stop the run, an RB was getting 4-5 yrds easily.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The idea that Donald does not play the run is overstated. Look up his TFL stats and his play against the Niners and Bengals in the playoffs.

I think Donald makes Wagner better if anything. Wagner will be free to fill up the holes that our previous ILBs missed. Previously, if the DL didn't stop the run, an RB was getting 4-5 yrds easily.
Not my point. AD is a beast.
He can penetrate and disrupt better than any DT in history (imo).
If he gets freedom to do this more, and does not have to be responsible for gap assignment because Rams are willing to risk a big hole that BWag can plug.
Then I think AD can be better, because he will not be asked as much to keep gap assignments

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
BTW.

Best strategies I've seen to run against AD, is to get him to overcommit.
He can't be run against when he is assigned to play the run

RamsOfCastamere

Not my point. AD is a beast.
He can penetrate and disrupt better than any DT in history (imo).
If he gets freedom to do this more, and does not have to be responsible for gap assignment because Rams are willing to risk a big hole that BWag can plug.
Then I think AD can be better, because he will not be asked as much to keep gap assignments
BWagz isn't stopping him from being double teamed. He'll help AD by stopping the run early, creating more 3 and long opportunities. But on early downs, I don't see AD letting lineman lose downfield on running plays just because he's there. I don't see how that helps.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
BWagz isn't stopping him from being double teamed. He'll help AD by stopping the run early, creating more 3 and long opportunities. But on early downs, I don't see AD letting lineman lose downfield on running plays just because he's there. I don't see how that helps.
Only times I've seen AD beat is when he shoots one gap and they run through another.
Sometimes unblocked.

Often in same situation, huge loss with AD killing the play.
Sometimes AD gets through but run is faster and gets through space where AD had been

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Past history has shown that AD makes his team mates better players.
I'd also like to think, despite being double and triple teamed, Donald has excelled being of his team mates from the likes of Fowler, Floyd, Robinson, Brockers, Gaines, Miller, etc.
But I think Donald brings out the best in players.
Wagner should be no different.

RamsOfCastamere

Only times I've seen AD beat is when he shoots one gap and they run through another.
Sometimes unblocked.

Often in same situation, huge loss with AD killing the play.
Sometimes AD gets through but run is faster and gets through space where AD had been
In those situations, I think it's more so of good offensive game planning instead of AD making a mistake. To counter AD, they run plays where the OG purposely does not block him and goes to the second level, and a pulling guard/TE uses his momentum against him to seal him out of the play. Its a good game plan - sometimes they get him and other times he recognizes it and blows it up. This is where Wagner comes in. He's great at diagnosing those plays and slipping past those lineman to make a play.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think anyone can make Aaron Donald better. He makes other players play better.

Turducken

Starter
I think it makes his stats look better (pressures, sacks, TFL's, etc). Wagner makes AD's longshot MVP odds more attractive.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Short answer: Yes.

Bonus answer: and vice versa, too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My one knock on Donald through the years has been that he sometimes penetrates and does not hold the gap.

Without strong ILB, sometimes meant big runs up the gut.

With Bobby Wag behind him, AD may be able to let loose knowing that BW is there to cleanup if needed.

Might allow AD more freedom to make splash plays without having to hold gap assignments.

Where AD makes edge rushers like Von better, it could be that BW makes AD better.

Thoughts?

I LOVE the addition of Wagner. I can’t wait to see him in our defense. When Seattle had that badass D… Wagner was part of that intimidation. I love that part of this addition.