Will Rams Set the Century's Standard in 2013? 101 ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

A season ago, the St. Louis Rams and Denver Broncos each posted 52 sacks to lead the NFL in the aforementioned category.

The Rams accomplished this feat in spite of the fact that they faced the challenge of implementing a new defense after abandoning the Steve Spagnuolo scheme in favor of the more consistent and balanced system long utilized by St. Louis head coach Jeff Fisher.

In 2012, the Rams elevated their sack total by 25 percent after posting 39 in the prior campaign. In fact, St. Louis’ 52 sacks were the most by any Rams team since 1999 – a year in which 57 were amassed.

Impressively, last season’s sack total was the league’s 11th-best since 2000. To put the 52 sacks into further perspective, the number would have led the NFL in seven of this century’s first 13 seasons.

What is most encouraging about last season’s mark is that these lofty numbers were not largely compiled by almost over-the-hill veterans or by defenders who departed in the offseason. No, they were posted by young players who will return hungry for more – much more. They were accomplished by players who were still ascending and/or just entering their prime (Chris Long, William Hayes, Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Eugene Sims), were just beginning to realize their potential (the then-22-year-old Robert Quinn), had made an offseason position switch (Kendall Langford) or were in their rookie year and battling through injury (Michael Brockers).

Take, for instance, the 23-year-old defensive end Quinn, who told me the following during camp last year.

(Hope each of you greatly enjoy the full read here):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/06/04/132858/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/06/04/132858/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the sound of setting this as a goal, Shane.

Both Long and Quinn have 15 sack potential. So its not an outrageous thought.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Hey Shane!

Good stuff as always. I wasn't sure you posted here and I'm very happy to learn you do. :yahoo:

This year, the defense is expected to use more press coverage and generally play tighter at corner, something that should diminish the frequency of the far-too-many easily completed short passes we witnessed last season.

One can only hope. That and actually being able to cover a TE would make my season. I'm hoping Ogletree/McDonald will help in that area. If McDonald is gonna be our SS then I guess he'll be responsible covering at least one of their TEs don't you think?

I'm hoping for much more from Langford and Brockers in the sack department. Especially Langford. He appeared to be coming on late in the season.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:
Hey Shane!

Good stuff as always. I wasn't sure you posted here and I'm very happy to learn you do. :yahoo:

This year, the defense is expected to use more press coverage and generally play tighter at corner, something that should diminish the frequency of the far-too-many easily completed short passes we witnessed last season.

One can only hope. That and actually being able to cover a TE would make my season. I'm hoping Ogletree/McDonald will help in that area. If McDonald is gonna be our SS then I guess he'll be responsible covering at least one of their TEs don't you think?

I'm hoping for much more from Langford and Brockers in the sack department. Especially Langford. He appeared to be coming on late in the season.

I've always been a fan of Cudjo..Maybe it's a Steven King thing.

Just think he's gonna be this season's Hayes.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
EastRam wrote:

I've always been a fan of Cudjo..Maybe it's a Steven King thing.

Just think he's gonna be this season's Hayes.

If he does, we'll have a D-line rotation second to none IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Looks like the Rams just need serious production from their DT's to challenge that record.
Here's the distribution...

84 Bears

DE - 29
DT - 22.5
SS/FS - 8.5
LB - 12

2012 Rams
(PFR, NFL.com, ESPN & Yahoo all have the Rams with 51 sacks)

DE - 32
DT - 7
LB - 7
S - 3
CB - 2

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X pointed out:
Looks like the Rams just need serious production from their DT's to challenge that record.

84 Bears

DE - 29
DT - 22.5
SS/FS - 8.5
LB - 12

2012 Rams

DE - 32
DT - 7
LB - 7
S - 3
CB - 2

I didn't realize how little our DBs contributed to the total.

Surely that's scheme?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Albe doing his Leslie Nielsen impersonation:
I didn't realize how little our DBs contributed to the total.

Surely that's scheme?
It is scheme.

And don't call me Shirley.

VCHrai0.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:

84 Bears

DE - 29
DT - 22.5
SS/FS - 8.5
LB - 12

2012 Rams

DE - 32
DT - 7
LB - 7
S - 3
CB - 2

Good call. Even with 15 from Long and Quinn (big jump) we need serious help elsewhere.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X answered:
It is scheme.

VCHrai0.jpg

So if that was scheme then what was the reason for it? Lack of quality players at the LB and Safety positions? Or does he just not like to use his DBs that way?

BTW, my whole body is still twitching from not answering that the way I wanted too. :balling:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
(Hope each of you greatly enjoy the full read here):

Of course we will.

I also wouldn't be surprised if TJ registers more than the 3 sacks provided by Mikell. Hard to say because he's a rook of course but I have my suspicions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X answered:
It is scheme.

VCHrai0.jpg

So if that was scheme then what was the reason for it? Lack of quality players at the LB and Safety positions? Or does he just not like to use his DBs that way?
Well, yes.

Laurinaitis was never really a sack master, and they had a couple of underachievers at the SAM position. He also played all of DBs off the LOS on purpose most of the year (everybody complained about that). The only aggressive guy in the secondary was Mikell, but that's because he's a really good box safety by nature and not ideally suited for deep coverage. They did scheme the DBs to rush the passer on occasion, but it's not something they could take a chance with very often since Jenkins and Johnson were rooks, and Dahl just flat out sucked.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X explained:
Well, yes.

Laurinaitis was never really a sack master, and they had a couple of underachievers at the SAM position. He also played all of DBs off the LOS on purpose most of the year (everybody complained about that). The only aggressive guy in the secondary was Mikell, but that's because he's a really good box safety by nature and not ideally suited for deep coverage. They did scheme the DBs to rush the passer on occasion, but it's not something they could take a chance with very often since Jenkins and Johnson were rooks, and Dahl just flat out sucked.

Thanks. That's mostly what I thought but I wanted a sanity check. It's really easy for me to miss something.

Getting rid of Dahl was huge IMO. I'm really happy that the Whiners picked him up. Their gain is our gain too. :2funny:

nighttrain

Legend
X said:

84 Bears

DE - 29
DT - 22.5
SS/FS - 8.5
LB - 12

2012 Rams

DE - 32
DT - 7
LB - 7
S - 3
CB - 2
And a certain Mr. Brockers & Mr. Langford along with Messer's. Hayes and Cudjo are ready to step up and help claim that prize.
train

wolfman84

Rookie
Another aspect of this is the effect of an improved offense and having a lead at the end of games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wolfman84 said:
Another aspect of this is the effect of an improved offense and having a lead at the end of games.
Yessir. That'd make this D downright scary.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
wolfman84 wrote:

Only if they're aggressive with the lead. Last year we totally went prevent with extra help in the secondary. With better safety and LB play maybe when can do a little more blitzing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
wolfman84 wrote:

Only if they're aggressive with the lead. Last year we totally went prevent with extra help in the secondary. With better safety and LB play maybe when can do a little more blitzing.

Yeah - I'm just not sure about that. I could have easily missed it with the euphoria of us actually HAVING a lead in some of those games but I don't recall us going total prevent. I always hate the prevent - especially when you are beating up a team with your defense. I would think I would have keyed in on that. I also get the feeling that Fish isn't really a prevent kinda guy.

I think it was generally more of a case of our offense not being able to score the dagger. We'd get up three points or a TD, stop the other team and then our offense would run three, maybe five plays and back on the field came our defense. You can't sustain a pin your ears back defense late in the game when the other team only needs to get within field goal range.

I'm actually hoping that our pass defense (aside from sacks and turn overs) is kind of middle of the pack this year in yards allowed. That generally means we are playing with the lead - and yes, playing SOME prevent.

When we get an early lead, I certainly want to see us let our D-line pin their ears back and even shoot a few blitzers in on occasion. But getting constant pressure with a four man front is where it's at. I think we HAVE improved our secondary this season in a few areas. Two of our rookie CBs and our manimal Brockers will be a year more seasoned and I really do believe that TJ is an instant upgrade over both Mikell and Dahl - overall. Darien is going to come in and lay some wood and I'm thinking he will actually be our starter in the box.

And enter the wild card - Tree.

This defense WILL be aggressive and attacking. If the offense is able to be as well? WATCH THE EFF OUT!!!!