Will Mark Barron live up to his new deal?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/7...s-rams-roster-preview-depth-chart-mark-barron

In life sometimes you need a new opportunity. Just ask Mark Barron.

The Rams traded for the former first-round safety from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the middle of the 2014 season. After the Rams found a role for him, an injury forced Barron into a full-time starting role as a starting hybrid linebacker/safety. Having settled into that role well in 2015, Barron landed a five-year, $45 million deal this offseason.

Now with the comfort of his long-term security locked up, how will he perform in the new Rams defense without DE Chris Long, MLB James Laurinaitis, CB Janoris Jenkins and S Rodney McLeod?

Roster Battle
Barron doesn't really have any pure competition for his role. Akeem Ayers who could end up seeing an increase of time on the field as the primary pure OLB. After those two, there really is not much on the roster as it relates to depth at this position.

Although there is nothing for Barron to worry about, it would be difficult for the Rams to replace him if he is hurt.

Expectations
Barron should be expected to perform as well as he did when he stepped up as the primary option to replace Alec Ogletree last season. He finished with 116 tackles and 5 pass deflections, clearly an impact player for the Rams - hence the long-term deal the team signed him to.

Chances of Making Final Roster (10/10)
He could party with Johnny Manziel during training camp and still make the team.

…..

Legend
I saw Barron listed as WS on the defensive depth chart. Weak side? Walking Safety? wtf is ws?

Barrons success will depend on Williams and the calls he makes and Williams is too proud to not insure success on one of his outside the box schemes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I saw Barron listed as WS on the defensive depth chart. Weak side? Walking Safety? wtf is ws?

With the 4-2-5 scheme Barron becomes the Weak Safety, he usually rolls back in plays deep or blitzes which can stop the run and put pressure if the offense passes.
425defense.png

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Barron is going to be excellent im more concerned about Ogletree

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not only will he "Live with it" He'll live quite well!!:rolllaugh:" I think he was/is a Great addition to the Team!!"

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With the 4-2-5 scheme Barron becomes the Weak Safety, he usually rolls back in plays deep or blitzes which can stop the run and put pressure if the offense passes.
425defense.png
Where does Joyner line up ? In place of Akers ??

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Barrons success will depend on Williams and the calls he makes and Williams is too proud to not insure success on one of his outside the box schemes.

I think the Rams made up a name for his position.
Weak Safety.

…..

Legend
They coulda just coined it "BA" for bad ass cause that's kinda what Williams is turning Barron into.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Love what he brings to the defense and his versatility but, if we're talking living up to his deal I think he will. He's making 2nd tier LB money, which seems honestly like a pretty good value to me.
Guys like Matthews, Kuechly, Wagner are looking at 13+ million in the next couple years.
Bowman, Thomas Davis - a couple of very damn good LBs, are looking at about 8-9 million a year.

Barron's younger, more athletic and can fill a couple of different positions if the need arises. My knee jerk reaction when he signed was that we overpaid, but looking at the landscape and weighing out age, potential and health; Rams got a damn good deal.

A55VA6

Legend
Barron was a 1st round pick for a reason, and we're using him to fit what he does best. He's going to have a great year.