Will Gregg Williams Attract Free Agents?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Seems like I have read that there have been numerous players that have stated that they really enjoyed playing for Gregg Williams. And, while I know the most important factor in a player choosing a team is probably money I am guessing respecting & liking to play for your coach is pretty important as well. So, I am wondering if you think there will be some Defensive Free Agents that might consider signing with the Rams that may not have if the Rams didn't hire Williams.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I think it creates an obvious link to Verner who happens to play a position of need for us. Hopefully the Williams/Fisher link draws him to STL. If we can leave FA with Saffold resigned and picking up Verner I think we win the off season.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I think it creates an obvious link to Verner who happens to play a position of need for us. Hopefully the Williams/Fisher link draws him to STL. If we can leave FA with Saffold resigned and picking up Verner I think we win the off season.
I agree.
Having those 2 from FA? I'd call it a win

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm not sure many players will go play somewhere for less money unless they are at the end of their career and are desperate for a title and have already made tons of money.

I think a player can be tilted in a direction by a particular coach but still will get paid the same. So in that way yes he can attract a guy or two but they won't sign at a discount.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure many players will go play somewhere for less money unless they are at the end of their career and are desperate for a title and have already made tons of money.

I think a player can be tilted in a direction by a particular coach but still will get paid the same. So in that way yes he can attract a guy or two but they won't sign at a discount.

You are probably right but it seems like in the past the Rams have had to offer more than other teams to get them to agree to terms. Maybe, with Fisher and now Gregg Williams that will change?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Didn't Hayes stay with us after being offered more mone? I thought that was due to his relationship with Fish. Same with Jake Long - Miami matched our offer (or beat it slightly if I remember correctly), Fish as part of the reason he came here. Cook and Finn both got stupid money, but both also wanted to play for Fish as well.
I think GW could have the same influence.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You are probably right but it seems like in the past the Rams have had to offer more than other teams to get them to agree to terms. Maybe, with Fisher and now Gregg Williams that will change?

In that regard yes I was kind of alluding to the fact that the Rams had to do what all crap teams did to get a guy. Pay 20% more lol.

Negotiations prolly went like this.....

Agent: we have an offer of 4 years at 35 million

Rams: we will offer 38 million

Agent: but you're the Rams

Rams: oh yeah forgot about that for a second, ok 42 million

:mad:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Hopefully we are only in the FA market for depth or complementary players. The core of most great teams is built through the draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hopefully we are only in the FA market for depth or complementary players. The core of most great teams is built through the draft.

Yep, and... Retaining your own.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yup. This is going to get tricky in the future as we are starting to get quite the collection of talent thanks to an improved FO and the Redskins.

We have a core developing. Brockers, SB, Quinn... Perhaps Jenkins, Ogletree, Austin and others that will need deals.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We have a core developing. Brockers, SB, Quinn... Perhaps Jenkins, Ogletree, Austin and others that will need deals.

Yup. Luckily we should be able to stagger the contracts. A lot is going to depend on how much we're paying QB1. Also, what kind of money is Austin going to get? Is he a #1 or a slot guy - in terms of $? As a general rule of thumb, it takes 6 super stars to win. I think we'll need to decide which are our six going forward and pay them accordingly. Long's and JL's contracts are front loaded so they're not an issue.

These are good problems to have. LOL!