Why the Rams can't build an offense around Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
With as many talented RB's on the roster, I would like to see the Rams pull out the ol' Wishbone Offense every so often to really prove the author of this ridiculous statement wrong!
remember the zone read a few years ago? I'd like a lil of that...but they let Zac outta here who I wanted to run it...Maybe Benny or Pead can do it to Mason & Gurley...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think there are several ways to win a SB. You can run or pass. Myself I think it's easier to win as a good passing team. More room for error, better at coming from behind. But that's not Fisher's game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/26/todd-gurley-2015-nfl-draft-st-louis-rams/

http://www.hngn.com/articles/100653...n-be-centerpiece-of-jeff-fisher-s-offense.htm

http://www.fieldstforum.com/2015/06/06/rams-building-around-gurley/

Do we have quotes from Snead or Fisher saying that this offense is being built around Gurley? Or is it just all these Sport writers saying it?

Maybe one of our members can recall or find where Fisher or Snead stated what Aaron Schatz article claims that Rams can't build an offense around Gurley as if that what Snead & Fisher said they were doing.

Gurley is a unique talent for-sure but what of Foles/Britt/Cook/Austin/Quick/Mason/Kendricks/Robinson/Bailey/Saffold & other added offensive pieces added the last two yrs be.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/100653...n-be-centerpiece-of-jeff-fisher-s-offense.htm

Do we have quotes from Snead or Fisher saying that this offense is being built around Gurley? Or is it just all these Sport writers saying it?

Maybe one of our members can recall or find where Fisher or Snead stated what Aaron Schatz article says....
'We will rally around Todd Gurley and play good football!'

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I love when a writer says "The fact that he may not". Fact means there is no doubt. May not means there is a doubt. Which is it?
You should know by now that Sports Writers don't like to be taken Literally!:D

RamzFanz

Damnit

Maybe one of our members can recall or find where Fisher or Snead stated what Aaron Schatz article claims that Rams can't build an offense around Gurley as if that what Snead & Fisher said they were doing.

Gurley is a unique talent for-sure but what of Foles/Britt/Cook/Austin/Quick/Mason/Kendricks/Robinson/Bailey/Saffold & other added offensive pieces added the last two yrs be.

It's much easier to rail against a strawman argument:

For the record, the Rams can't build a team around a TE and are crazy for trying. I will now provide a 1,000 words of examples.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ESPN has been saying this for years now... "it's a pssing league"... "it's a QB driven league". They should make flags out of these sayings and fly them outside the offices in Bristol. :ROFLMAO:

Why? Because, as a general rule, the really good QBs end up in the Super Bowl.

Of course, that totally ignores the other myriad reasons why they got to that game (like defense... and running game.. and special teams).

Nope, have a top flight QB and you're good to go! (y) Don't need anything else because... well, "it's a QB driven league!!"

Really doesn't surprise me that they'd write this stuff. Doesn't annoy me either.

It's been proven time and time again that there are many ways to get to the Super Bowl. If there was just one way, everyone would would mimic it (yes, the NFL is GREAT at that) and there'd be a logjam at the top of every Division... they'd have to get to the 6th tie breaker to declare Division Champs every year.

But that's how ESPN has seen it for years... and, after all, they are experts in their field ("field" being ignorant, outrageous whatever-it-takes-to-get-clicks-or-ratings idiots). OK, so maybe I am a little annoyed :rolleyes:

Will Fisher's plan work? Well, we'll find out in a scant few months.

If it does? Well then, ESPN will herald Fisher as a genius and the NFL will become "a running league" and a "RB driven league". :LOL:

IF the Rams offense is to be effective, two things have to happen... only one of which invloves the QB:
* The Oline has to protect Foles and open up lanes for our RB
* Foles needs to have at least an average year

Those things happen... defense does what it should and Special Teams remain good and the Rams are as good a shot at winning the Super Bowl as anyone.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
The writer has his head in the 70's. Fisher is building an offense that can stay on the field, attacking with the run and the pass. It's not going to be New Orleans or Denver. And it won't be the 80's Rams with all Dickerson. This offense will be the sum of the parts and if Gurley is all THAT, they'll be dangerous.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Me, while reading this:

rocket3-1419776762.gif

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger

Good point Bonifay. The Rams had already built up a strong base of skill players for the offense even before they added a top talent to it like Todd Gurley. I am sure Gurley will be a workhorse at times but he is not the only weapon on the offense. I think the skill players (WR, TE, & RB) on the Rams across the board are underrated by the sport media, non-Ram fans, and even many within Ram fandom. I drink the Kool-Aid though and I really like that skill players that the Rams have assembled. With a healthy capable QB and healthy/stable competent O-line the Rams skill players will be able show off their abilities.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with him? Cause I kind of agree with that. Remember, he only said one of the best and not the best.
I guess my point here is that the article's author, Aaron Schatz, lives in Seattle and is a Seahag's fan. So, I wouldn't say that his article is objective at all. Hence, no need to discuss it on it's merits. It's merely someone trying to hide their underlying motivations.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think there are several ways to win a SB. You can run or pass. Myself I think it's easier to win as a good passing team. More room for error, better at coming from behind. But that's not Fisher's game.
A good rushing attack sets up the pass though. I mean no team strictly runs or passes anymore, and last year as has been stated we passed more than we ran.

Everyone wants to exploit the forward pass, that's a given, so to me creating those openings just depends on different philosophies on how you get those receivers open.

In my opinion, we have talent at receiver, especially if you include our tight ends, and we also have a starting quarterback that has a decent chance to start. We've finally upgraded our offensive line through the draft, so the only thing left to argue about is the actual blocking scheme and whether or not Gurley was the best pick at 10.

Hey, it's true, I didn't want the Gurley or Austin picks either. I'll admit, I wanted another lineman with the first round pick. Heck, I wanted a lineman instead of Donald last year ... boy was I ever wrong. At least I can envision how each of them will work out for the team even if they don't live up to other people's expectations based on their draft position, which is one of the lamest reasons to hate on a player in my opinion.

The draft is done, it's over, and to be honest Fisher had the ballz to draft a young offensive line that will (run and pass) block his way, attacking the defense with his offensive line. He needs to be commended for that at least.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Building around the running game hasnt worked to well for the shecocks, they only went to 2 SBs in the last 2 years. They would have gone to many more if they threw the ball. Or would they have gone to less? This guy has me all confused, I think I got dumber as I read on.

Alan

Legend
Stranger making assumptions:
I guess my point here is that the article's author, Aaron Schatz, lives in Seattle and is a Seahag's fan.

Hence, no need to discuss it on it's merits.
I live in the New England area so does that mean I'm a Cheatriot fan? IMO there's always a need to discuss the merits no matter what your or their bias might be. That's just me though.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I live in the New England area so does that mean I'm a Cheatriot fan? IMO there's always a need to discuss the merits no matter what your or their bias might be. That's just me though.
I read other material from this same author, and not only does he live in Seattle, but ALL of his material is extremely favorable to the Seahags. I think there's enough proof to convince most Rams fans that this author is a closet Seahags fans trying to pass himself off as an objective journalist who wraps-up his points in statistics (even though h admits, in the video I posted, that he isn't very good at statistics).

I don't know... looks to me like I've exposed this clown for what he is. Perhaps we should change the title of this thread to:

"Closet Seahag Journalist Tries to Beatup on Rams with Canned & Unsupportable Claims"

Alan

Legend
Stranger adding this:
I read other material from this same author, and not only does he live in Seattle, but ALL of his material is extremely favorable to the Seahags.

I think there's enough proof to convince most Rams fans that this author is a closet Seahags fans trying to pass himself off as an objective journalist
I have a few thoughts on these two statements.

I don't know whether I've read anything by this guy before because I rarely look at who the author is so I'll bow to your greater knowledge of his proclivity to talk favorably about the Shehags. I have a question for you though. Are you really surprised that an NFL pundit wouldn't almost always publish material that is extremely favorable to the Seahags? Are you shocked that a team who has been in the last two SBs and should have won them both would have good things said about them?

Everyone on this board are Rams fans and by your logic wouldn't that mean none of us are able to write an objective article about another team? When I say really good things about the ROD am I being a homer or am I telling it like it is? I read a bunch of RODites doing some really good analyses of every other NFL team in our mock draft. Would you not agree?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I don't know whether I've read anything by this guy before because I rarely look at who the author is so I'll bow to your greater knowledge of his proclivity to talk favorably about the Shehags.
Well, I never heard of the guy either until I saw the O.P. article. But the article P'd me off enough to go out and do some research on the guy, which is how I found what I found.

I have a question for you though. Are you really surprised that an NFL pundit wouldn't almost always publish material that is extremely favorable to the Seahags? Are you shocked that a team who has been in the last two SBs and should have won them both would have good things said about them?
No, I'm not shocked. On the other hand, his articles seem to be almost looking for a path to support the Seahags.

It's one thing to review the data and then try to analyze it objectively, it's quite another to search out data that presupposes a given conclusion - kinda like the hockey stick graph used by the global warming fanatics. Just seems to me that he's searching for ways to romote the Seahags, at least that was my conclusion after looking at a wide range of his material.

Everyone on this board are Rams fans and by your logic wouldn't that mean none of us are able to write an objective article about another team? When I say really good things about the ROD am I being a homer or am I telling it like it is? I read a bunch of RODites doing some really good analyses of every other NFL team in our mock draft. Would you not agree?
No, none of us are actually objective. But, I think most here would not hide the fact that they are Rams fans when writing an article. The problem I have with this guy is that he is trying to wrap his opinions in "science" and passing this off as an objective analysis. When in fact, he's just a Seahags fan who is deceptively keeping this fact from his audience. And he's not even that good at it.

The guy went to Brown, which is kind of a low-end school for rich kids not smart enough to make it into the better rich kid schools. I'm not impressed, and I'm certainly not going to let his charade go unnoticed when he starts taking pop shots at our Rams and our top draft pick.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Saying its a quarterback driven league is taking the easy way out for a journalist, IMO. Its a quarterback driven league for teams with elite quarterbacks. For the others, its a league driven by what works with what you have.

For 3 years two of the top teams relied on defense and running. That style of play put them both in a superbowl. To say its a mistake to build a team around a running back is short sighted. You look at what you can acquire and you build with that.

The Rams are not going to acquire an elite quarterback. Rogers, Brady, Manning and Brees are not going to the Rams. Their teams are going to build around them because they can.

The Rams are trying to build a power run team and elite defense. If they succeed with that they will win. Simple as that. That formula does work. And they can have a decent passing team if certain things come together.