Why the Eagles need to sign Sam Bradford/Signs two-year contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/stor...ephia-eagles-need-re-sign-qb-sam-bradford-nfl

The recent upheaval in the Philadelphia Eagles' front office and on the coaching staff means it's time for the organization to decide whom they want to keep and whom they want to let go. The toughest of these decisions for Howie Roseman & Co. will be on quarterback Sam Bradford.

Given the Eagles' reported interest in reacquiring Nick Foles, it seems that the pendulum is swinging away from retaining Bradford.

That is somewhat understandable given Bradford's salary demands, but there is a strong case to be made that the Eagles should go all-out to keep Bradford, even at a high price.

Bradford is an elite vertical passer
Cam Newton and Russell Wilson both made strong MVP cases during the second half of the 2015 season, but they could not keep up with Bradford in terms of yards per attempt (YPA) on vertical passes (throws of 11 or more yards downfield). In fact, no one in the league matched Bradford's 15.1 vertical YPA pace from Weeks 9 through 17.

That Bradford did this with a less-than-stellar pass-catching corps is notable, but it isn't an anomaly. In the 2013 season, Bradford ranked sixth in the league in vertical YPA (12.5) despite throwing to a mediocre receiving corps consisting of Tavon Austin, Austin Pettis, Chris Givens, Brian Quick, Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks. He is one of a small handful of quarterbacks capable of getting excellent downfield production out of subpar receiving.

He has superb decision-making skills
Bradford has almost always fared well in my bad decision rate (BDR) metric that gauges how often a quarterback makes a mental error that leads to a turnover opportunity for the opposing team.

The league average in BDR is usually about 1.5 percent. The best decision-makers will post a BDR of less than 1.0 percent, while the worst decision-makers will have a 2.0 percent or higher rate.

Bradford posted a 0.8 percent BDR in 2015, a mark that followed his 0.7 percent BDR in the 2013 season (the last one he played before joining the Eagles). This shows his risk-management skills are on par with just about any passer in the league.

The durability concerns are overblown
Outside of the dollar value of his contract, the biggest concern in signing Bradford has to be durability.

These fears stem from Bradford suffering ACL injuries that caused him to miss the second half of the 2013 season and all of 2014, but let's take a look at this from another prism.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, last season Bradford played in 935 offensive snaps. He also played in 3,115 offensive snaps from the 2010 to 2013 seasons. Add them together, and it means that Bradford played in 4,050 snaps in those five seasons.

From the 2010 to 2013 seasons, Aaron Rodgers played in 3,299 offensive snaps. In the 2015 season, Rodgers was on the field for 1,044 snaps. Put those totals together, and it equals 4,343 snaps. Divide the 293-snap difference between Rodgers and Bradford by five (the number of seasons), and it equates to a 58.6 snap-per-season variance between these two.

Missing a full 16-game schedule, as Bradford did in 2014, is not something that should be overlooked, but take that season out of the equation, and Bradford has been on the field for nearly as many snaps as Rodgers since 2010.

bring back Foles is that Foles displayed superb decision-making skills during his stellar 2013 season.

Foles posted a league best 0.3 percent BDR that season with the Eagles, and it was a major reason he had only two interceptions in his 13 games under center. But Foles followed it up by posting a 2.4 percent BDR in 2014, which tied for the fourth-worst in the league.

Things didn't get any better for Foles in 2015, now playing for the Rams, as he ranked last in the league in Total QBR (30.0) while throwing to many of the same receivers Bradford played with back in 2013, when he posted top-notch vertical YPA numbers with the Rams.

Foles is talented enough for a team to take a chance on helping him get these inconsistencies corrected, but this type of up-and-down track record indicates he is far too risky for a team to rely on him as its No. 1 quarterback.

Bottom line
Famed NFL general manager Ernie Accorsi once said that there is no price too high to pay for a franchise quarterback.

There is no guarantee that Bradford will develop into one, but combine the above facts with his Heisman Trophy, status as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft and offensive rookie of the year award, and it means Bradford most certainly has a franchise-quarterback ceiling. Barring a move that leads to Philadelphia getting another QB prospect of this caliber, the Eagles should do whatever it takes to keep Bradford on their roster.

tempests

Hall of Fame
ESPN Insider said:
Missing a full 16-game schedule, as Bradford did in 2014, is not something that should be overlooked, but take that season out of the equation, and Bradford has been on the field for nearly as many snaps as Rodgers since 2010.

We can't take it out, and even if we could, give a good reason why we should.

I don't know what BDR is but another ESPN stat that only they know how to calculate.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
If they do resign him, that would be one less team that will be drafting a QB infront of the rams in the upcoming draft.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Outside of the dollar value of his contract, the biggest concern in signing Bradford has to be durability.

These fears stem from Bradford suffering ACL injuries that caused him to miss the second half of the 2013 season and all of 2014, but let's take a look at this from another prism.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, last season Bradford played in 935 offensive snaps. He also played in 3,115 offensive snaps from the 2010 to 2013 seasons. Add them together, and it means that Bradford played in 4,050 snaps in those five seasons.

From the 2010 to 2013 seasons, Aaron Rodgers played in 3,299 offensive snaps. In the 2015 season, Rodgers was on the field for 1,044 snaps. Put those totals together, and it equals 4,343 snaps. Divide the 293-snap difference between Rodgers and Bradford by five (the number of seasons), and it equates to a 58.6 snap-per-season variance between these two.

So take away his two biggest injuries as a pro, and ignore the injuries in college, and ignore that his offense last season had a lot of hurry up aspects to it increasing his snaps significantly, and Bradford's injury pattern is equivalent to an aging QB who missed much of a season a couple of years ago?

Okay.

I think the Eagles should give him an enormous amount of guaranteed money, then.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So take his two biggest injuries as a pro, and ignore the injuries in college, and ignore that his offense last season had a lot of hurry up aspects to it increasing his snaps significantly, and Bradford's injury pattern is equivalent to an aging QB who missed much of a season a couple of years ago?

Okay.

I think the Eagles should give him an enormous amount of guaranteed money, then.
Me TOOOOO!
Fact is every pass rusher who faces Sam Bradford on Sunday starts foaming at the mouth weeks before the game in anticipation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/stor...ephia-eagles-need-re-sign-qb-sam-bradford-nfl

The recent upheaval in the Philadelphia Eagles' front office and on the coaching staff means it's time for the organization to decide whom they want to keep and whom they want to let go. The toughest of these decisions for Howie Roseman & Co. will be on quarterback Sam Bradford.

Given the Eagles' reported interest in reacquiring Nick Foles, it seems that the pendulum is swinging away from retaining Bradford.

That is somewhat understandable given Bradford's salary demands, but there is a strong case to be made that the Eagles should go all-out to keep Bradford, even at a high price.

Bradford is an elite vertical passer
Cam Newton and Russell Wilson both made strong MVP cases during the second half of the 2015 season, but they could not keep up with Bradford in terms of yards per attempt (YPA) on vertical passes (throws of 11 or more yards downfield). In fact, no one in the league matched Bradford's 15.1 vertical YPA pace from Weeks 9 through 17.

That Bradford did this with a less-than-stellar pass-catching corps is notable, but it isn't an anomaly. In the 2013 season, Bradford ranked sixth in the league in vertical YPA (12.5) despite throwing to a mediocre receiving corps consisting of Tavon Austin, Austin Pettis, Chris Givens, Brian Quick, Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks. He is one of a small handful of quarterbacks capable of getting excellent downfield production out of subpar receiving.

He has superb decision-making skills
Bradford has almost always fared well in my bad decision rate (BDR) metric that gauges how often a quarterback makes a mental error that leads to a turnover opportunity for the opposing team.

The league average in BDR is usually about 1.5 percent. The best decision-makers will post a BDR of less than 1.0 percent, while the worst decision-makers will have a 2.0 percent or higher rate.

Bradford posted a 0.8 percent BDR in 2015, a mark that followed his 0.7 percent BDR in the 2013 season (the last one he played before joining the Eagles). This shows his risk-management skills are on par with just about any passer in the league.

The durability concerns are overblown

bring back Foles is that Foles displayed superb decision-making skills during his stellar 2013 season.

Foles posted a league best 0.3 percent BDR that season with the Eagles, and it was a major reason he had only two interceptions in his 13 games under center. But Foles followed it up by posting a 2.4 percent BDR in 2014, which tied for the fourth-worst in the league.

Things didn't get any better for Foles in 2015, now playing for the Rams, as he ranked last in the league in Total QBR (30.0) while throwing to many of the same receivers Bradford played with back in 2013, when he posted top-notch vertical YPA numbers with the Rams.

Foles is talented enough for a team to take a chance on helping him get these inconsistencies corrected, but this type of up-and-down track record indicates he is far too risky for a team to rely on him as its No. 1 quarterback.

Bottom line
Famed NFL general manager Ernie Accorsi once said that there is no price too high to pay for a franchise quarterback.

There is no guarantee that Bradford will develop into one, but combine the above facts with his Heisman Trophy, status as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft and offensive rookie of the year award, and it means Bradford most certainly has a franchise-quarterback ceiling. Barring a move that leads to Philadelphia getting another QB prospect of this caliber, the Eagles should do whatever it takes to keep Bradford on their roster.
Considering the fact that I'm Philly's GM, for this years Draft, at ROD. My Plan is to build a Line to protect Sam, and get him some Play-Maker's!!:D

jap

Legend
It really is a crying shame this guy is so fragile. Great arm, superb accuracy, good-great decision making, very good vision all encased in a china glass body. One could so easily break down and cry. :cry::wtf::palm:

Ram65

Legend
It really is a crying shame this guy is so fragile. Great arm, superb accuracy, good-great decision making, very good vision all encased in a china glass body. One could so easily break down and cry. :cry::wtf::palm:

I don't see Sam being made of glass. The back to back knee injuries were somewhat of flukes to me. He has taken more than his fair share of hits. We will see what happens with the rest of his career. I do see his injury past as a reason to be a little cautious with big a guaranteed contract. It really is puzzling that his agent is asking for 25 Mil.

Here in Phila they don't seem to have many other choices. The Rams have a few more but to me Sam looks as good as the others for 2016. He is just being priced too high for my liking. The Eagles only have Sanchez as an option. That's not really an option as a starter, if they want to win. I find the current Bradford situation interesting. There just aren't enough good NFL QBs for 32 teams.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't see Sam being made of glass. The back to back knee injuries were somewhat of flukes to me. He has taken more than his fair share of hits. We will see what happens with the rest of his career. I do see his injury past as a reason to be a little cautious with big a guaranteed contract. It really is puzzling that his agent is asking for 25 Mil.

Here in Phila they don't seem to have many other choices. The Rams have a few more but to me Sam looks as good as the others for 2016. He is just being priced too high for my liking. The Eagles only have Sanchez as an option. That's not really an option as a starter, if they want to win. I find the current Bradford situation interesting. There just aren't enough good NFL QBs for 32 teams.

The shoulder injury, and high ankle sprains were definitely flukes too. This guy is a tank.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The Eagles need to trade for Nick Foles. Stat. Their 2016 season will go into the toilet if they don't. And they must have a coupon for a free Arby's Beef and Cheddar laying around to provide compensation.

Pull the trigger, Philly. You know you want to. You know you need to.

jap

Legend

Fluke injuries or not, he has been overwhelmingly a training room tease for our Horns for too much of his stay here. I always liked how he would bounce back stronger than before injury . . . only to get injured yet again. Injuries aside, I genuinely though he was our ticket to the Super Bowl if we could build a decent enough team around him. I mean, can we even imagine a consistently healthy Sam with an ascending TGII and Tavon in the backfield together?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bradford is the 'grass is greener' QB. Teams that need a QB look at him and see him as the answer. Then when they get him they think, "we need to find a QB"

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Ha, the elusive Bradford celling.

We have seen that record spin and spin to no avail.

Hopefully Philly gives him another spin because at some point it's got to hit the jackpot, right?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford can't stay healthy. That'll always be issue #1 with him. Issue #2 is that he's not been able to put things together for a full season yet during his career. You get stretches of good play but he can never pull it off over an entire year. I like the kid. I still think he has ability. If I'm a team like Denver, I jump on him over Osweiler. But Bradford is always going to be a risky proposition with his injury history.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I'm going to enjoy watching that dumpster fire next season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to enjoy watching that dumpster fire next season.

They got rid of Kelly. Won't be surprised if they do better than expected. Pederson is a wildcard.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They got rid of Kelly. Won't be surprised if they do better than expected. Pederson is a wildcard.

Yeah but unfortunately for the Eagles they didn't do that until after Kelly got rid of much of the talent that was helping the Eagles win.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but unfortunately for the Eagles they didn't do that until after Kelly got rid of much of the talent that was helping the Eagles win.

Fortunately for the team with their 2nd round pick. ;)