Why is Stedman Bailey Getting No Playing Time?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Why is Tavon Austin lining up as a WR and Bailey sitting on the bench? Everyone here talks about Austin being a slot receiver and then using him as WR and RB which makes a lot of sense. Bailey averages over 14 Y/R, catches 66% of the balls thrown to him, and makes clutch plays yet he is getting no playing time. Tavon averages averages 8.9 Y/R and catches 63% of the balls thrown to him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you going off snaps played or targets?

FRO

Legend
Bailey is our best receiver and I don't think it's close. Runs great routes and catches everything. I would feature him and use him a ton.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
It's alarming but we only like to focus on springing the RB, not WR's getting open. So it's sad we can't run the ball because defenses know that's what we wanna do. I expect changes, but not really.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
On a team without a lot of strength at the WR position he is not playing. There is a reason and it has been discussed. If he were an upgrade he would be on the field.
I am not a Bailey basher and would like to see him make some plays but right now our staff believes that SB is a situational contributor not a guy to get a lot of snaps.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
wasted talent. like every other offensive talent we've had over the past 10 years they get pulled down by the shitty players and coaches around them

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bailey is our best receiver and I don't think it's close. Runs great routes and catches everything. I would feature him and use him a ton.
I'm just curious, because I see this said alot. How is it determined that runs great routes? I keep hearing it and when I do see him play, I dont see any seperation or anything special.
Made the great catch which helped beat Seattle, but havent seen anything since. Thought he was targeted a bit in the Washington game, but thats completely off memory

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I haven't watched closely enough. I know Bailey is not a fast receiver. I know he's got good hands. I believe he's a good route runner. But he's not getting the ball thrown his way much. is it because he can't separate? Or is it because Foles can't see down the field enough to find him? Or is he just not part of the designed play very often? I don't know. I just know I thought he could be a better version of Austin Pettis but it happening yet.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The Rams aren't sustaining drives. The fewer plays the offense has, the fewer chances to get everyone involved. I think it's that simple for right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Quick/Austin outside with Britt rotating in. Bailey owning the MFing slot. Cook on the bench.

That would be how it is if I were OC.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Quick/Austin outside with Britt rotating in. Bailey owning the MFing slot. Cook on the bench.

That would be how it is if I were OC.

I like how in your scenario, the only consistent producer(Britt) is a rotating piece. And guys that have done virtually nothing in their careers(Austin/Bailey) are focal points. And our top receiver(Cook) not even playing. Please never be an offensive coordinator unless you want the first overall pick.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd assume that it has something to do with practice during the week. If Bailey is the fourth best receiver in practice then by Sunday he's got an uphill battle

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
wasted talent. like every other offensive talent we've had over the past 10 years they get pulled down by the crappy players and coaches around them
Ty for adding absolutely nothing to this thread but venom.

That being said I'd like to see Bailey atleast on 3rd down passion style reciever he has a tendency to come through when needed

CoachO

Hall of Fame
That being said I'd like to see Bailey atleast on 3rd down passion style reciever he has a tendency to come through when needed
Bailey is that guy. He is on the field a whole more than people seem to think he is. But he hasn't been targeted much. I'll leave you to come up with your own theories as to why.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Bailey's starting to remind me of the Bulger QB carousal. Where our backups would flash a little something and that'd get everyone convinced they were something special and we were screaming constantly to sit Bulger so they'd come in and 'blow it away' or 'give us a change.'

iced

through 3 weeks, this is how the offensive snaps go:

Britt - 130 (80% of offensive snaps)
Austin - 129 (79.6%)
Bailey - 79 (48.8%)
Givens - 49 (30.2%)

rest - 0

i'd say he's gotten some opportunities, just they're not doing anything with it...whether its the line, foles, or bailey himself

V3

Hall of Fame
The Rams aren't sustaining drives. The fewer plays the offense has, the fewer chances to get everyone involved. I think it's that simple for right now.
I think that's a part of it but not all of it. Even when we had decent drives last year, Bailey wasn't getting much time when he looked better than most of the other WRs we had. It was a different OC but we're seeing about the same usage.

The offense for the Rams, no matter who's at QB, WR, or OC, feels like it's being held back. Considering his history, I get the feeling Fisher is the one holding the reigns. Maybe I'm wrong but something is off with this offense. Many of our offensive players IMO should be performing better than they are.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I forget the stats, but we have to be at the or neat the bottom of the league in terms of the time our offense spends on the field per game. How many snaps do people think there are to go around? And with the Rams trying to be a run-first team that simultaneously has to find Austin his touches, it's going to be a battle for any WRs to get consistent targets until we can start sustaining some drives.

I hope I am wrong but it is for this reason I don't see Quick making any immediate impact.

EDIT - Pretty much what was said above...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because we're not using a slot WR. If we were smart, we'd put Stedman in the slot instead of Cook. Tavon needs to be on the field.