Why Do the 49ers Own Us Right Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So the last 3 games are the most important ones because those were the only 3 games he threw an INT against? Well, they also had the lead in the 4th Q in 2 of the 3 games and the defense couldnt hold it. But it was Goff's "regression"??? Hmmm.....

No it's because it was the trend as his Ram career came to a close. He had at least one TO in almost every game. They ranked 22nd in scoring. Despite having a top 10 run game and the best D last year.

It's so odd to me how people are so quick to shit on Austin Blythe, a 6th round pick or now blaming the defense but if you even whisper about Jared's regression it's like the assemble scene in Avengers Endgame when someone else brings his limitations.

Go look at the drive summaries in any shitter game the past couple years. Spoiler alert: it's mostly punt, punt, punt, punt, INT, fumble.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
S
I don't know about that.

In 2017 and 2018, Goff was outstanding in his three games against the Niners (all Rams' victories). 9 TDs and zero interceptions, with a completion percentage around 70%. The Rams averaged 43 points in those three games.

Agree that Goff did not play as well against S.F. the past two seasons.
Shows what a good running game will do for a team.

I’ll give Goff credit for the first game in 2017. 22/28 for 297. Gurley had 28 rushes for 113

In 2018 18/24 for 202 Gurley and Brown combined for 28/128.

Next game Goff 15/26 199 CJ Anderson 23/132

Goff didn’t lose those games in 2018 but he didn’t have to carry the team either.

He will never be that guy.

Flint

Pro Bowler
The 9er running game is diverse and stretched the ram defense horizontally, the ram linebackers couldn’t stop it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No it's because it was the trend as his Ram career came to a close. He had at least one TO in almost every game. They ranked 22nd in scoring. Despite having a top 10 run game and the best D last year.

It's so odd to me how people are so quick to shit on Austin Blythe, a 6th round pick or now blaming the defense but if you even whisper about Jared's regression it's like the assemble scene in Avengers Endgame when someone else brings his limitations.

Go look at the drive summaries in any shitter game the past couple years. Spoiler alert: it's mostly punt, punt, punt, punt, INT, fumble.

Nobody cares when people say Goff regressed because blind Freddy could see he wasn't the same as 17/18. But when people put the blame solely on him for two games against the whiners when the d couldn't tackle for shit and let the back up qb stroll down the field twice in the 4th qtr to get them the win, then I'm gonna comment.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nobody cares when people say Goff regressed because blind Freddy could see he wasn't the same as 17/18. But when people put the blame solely on him for two games against the whiners when the d couldn't tackle for shit and let the back up qb stroll down the field twice in the 4th qtr to get them the win, then I'm gonna comment.

I’ll say this about as an example The Green Bay game.Goff was 18-20 with a broken thumb.The offensive line(Evans & Blythe) were playing extremely well.Aaron Donald took a selfish penalty which resulted in The Rams playing catch up.
Goff threw a pass that went through Josh Reynolds hands.Then the flood gates opened on 2nd & 3rd & long.Then the defense a certain player who know one talks about even made a play.This same player is a result of the 2nd loss to the Niners as well.
The Jets loss at home.Talk about getting owned.I don’t know if it was the Offensive Line or Goff.Just horrible to loss to a 0-13 team at SOFI. I erased that game so don’t even want to remember.The Rams lost some core players.
Shanahan also brings his whole squad of IR for The Rams game.It’s important.

Shuie3225

Starter
Seems like an extremely simple answer. The 49ers invest a ton in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and we dont. They manhandle us physically every time we play them which is why we lose. We can hardly ever run it on them and dont pass block well, and we can never stop their run. It's not rocket science.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Seems like an extremely simple answer. The 49ers invest a ton in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and we dont. They manhandle us physically every time we play them which is why we lose. We can hardly ever run it on them and dont pass block well, and we can never stop their run. It's not rocket science.
Here's the rushing #s from the past 4 games.

2019- WK 6
SF- 41att, 99yds, 2.4ypc
LA- 22att, 109yds, 5ypc

2019- WK 16
SF- 23att, 119yds, 5.2ypc
LA- 24att, 72yds, 3ypc

2020-WK 6
SF- 37att, 122yds, 3.3ypc
LA- 19att, 113yds, 5.9ypc

2020-WK 12
SF- 33att, 112yds, 3.4ypc
LA- 28att, 126yds, 4.5ypc

SF definitely commits to their running game more, but outside of 1 game our numbers are better. Although box scores don't tell the whole story it definitely shows that it's not as simple as what you're suggesting.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 9er running game is diverse and stretched the ram defense horizontally, the ram linebackers couldn’t stop it.

That is exactly what I saw.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's the rushing #s from the past 4 games.

2019- WK 6
SF- 41att, 99yds, 2.4ypc
LA- 22att, 109yds, 5ypc

2019- WK 16
SF- 23att, 119yds, 5.2ypc
LA- 24att, 72yds, 3ypc

2020-WK 6
SF- 37att, 122yds, 3.3ypc
LA- 19att, 113yds, 5.9ypc

2020-WK 12
SF- 33att, 112yds, 3.4ypc
LA- 28att, 126yds, 4.5ypc

SF definitely commits to their running game more, but outside of 1 game our numbers are better. Although box scores don't tell the whole story it definitely shows that it's not as simple as what you're suggesting.

how many yards did the wrs run for after catching passes behind the line of scrimmage? 300? per game?

Flint

Pro Bowler
That is exactly what I saw.
We all know the rams don’t value linebackers and the 9ers make it tough on ours, but I think this matchup should be more even than it is, I remember the 2 3rd and 15 conversions that enabled them to win the game a couple years ago.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The deciding factor in our recent match-ups has been the same...

The bone-headed play of our whiner loving previous QB. The one who will be proudly sporting joe montana's old jersey # up in beautiful Detroit this year.

THAT is the answer. 100%.
Goff left his heart in San Francisco. Just look at his stats which are truly in the gutter playing against SF. I think there is a lot to be said about that. WHICH, as a whiner fan, means the team he hated most growing up as a kid was likely the Rams.

Tano

Legend
I agree. Goff was never effective against the niners. They were in his head every game and that showed his biggest weakness he is not mentally tough under pressure. He was so bad th he first game last year he should have been benched.

Goff usually has one game a year where he couldn't complete a pass to save himself. And that game was the first game against SF.

After Goff missed a wide open Kupp on the second play of the game by 10 yards, I turned to my wife and said Oh Shit - Goff doesn't have it today. We are in for a long game.

That was the only time I said that to my wife last year.

Tano

Legend

The second game in 2019 - the Rams scored 31 points. So you are wrong on that game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The subject is "Do the 49ers own the Rams", and you're going off the deep end over Goff, the obsession is real. In 2 of the last 3 games against, they couldnt close the deal despite having lead in 4th Q. Putting the blame solely on the QB is not the answer, they had the lead with him, and lost.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The second game in 2019 - the Rams scored 31 points. So you are wrong on that game.
In the last 3 seasons the Rams have scored just under 27 points per game against the 49ers, but that doesnt fit the narrative....

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Goff usually has one game a year where he couldn't complete a pass to save himself. And that game was the first game against SF.

After Goff missed a wide open Kupp on the second play of the game by 10 yards, I turned to my wife and said Oh Shit - Goff doesn't have it today. We are in for a long game.

That was the only time I said that to my wife last year.
Miami and NYJ come to mind

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
how many yards did the wrs run for after catching passes behind the line of scrimmage? 300? per game?

In those 4 games SF has never had a 300yd passing game. That was a Deebo in 2020 problem, 98yac in wk 6 and 136yac in week 12. Our secondary and LBs have trouble with physical runners.

Tano

Legend
Miami and NYJ come to mind
Miami - he actually had a good game IF (and this is a big IF) you take the turnovers away.

But again, I blame McVay on that game. They had a WR screen all game long against that defense and they didn't do it until the 4th qtr.

Once they started doing the WR screen in the 4th qtr - Goff started to shred their defense but it was too late to make that comeback especially with the drop by Everett.

The Jets game - well that one the entire team shit the bed.

The one time Goff had an open receiver deep down field he got hit by Blythe's guy right when he threw the ball.

Goff didn't have a good game but neither did the rest of the team - shit happens.

The first SF game - Goff just couldn't throw the ball accurately.

He was accurate against the Jets but the rest of the team sucked badly and took Goff down with them.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Simple.... They are physical on both sides of the ball. Power run game and physical fronts.

We are finesse football, but still with some flaws...i.e no deep threat on offense and weak C position that the Niners take advantage of.

If we were a great finesse team with speed everywhere it might be diff.

Thus we have the 21' draft... speed and athleticism for the offense.

....And more physicallity for the defense in Jones & Brown.

Last edited: