Who's gonna be the backup QB .... and why.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

2013 backup QB will be...

• Kellen Clemens

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Austin Davis

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Bring in someone else

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
Might as well be Davis, if Sam goes down we are deep Shyte anyway.

I picked Davis for the same reason most others said. If Sam goes down, you've got someone whom you might be able to groom a bit and has a little upside. With Clemens, you know what he is. He's not going to give you any more than that.

I've said the last few years that at some point, once the cupboard isn't so bare (and we're at that point, in my opinion), it would be nice for the Rams to take a QB in the middle rounds of the draft (like a Mallet or Barkley) that you can groom but not have to throw in right away. Until that time, Davis is an intriguing option.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
TheRyanExpress said:
I picked Davis for the same reason most others said. If Sam goes down, you've got someone whom you might be able to groom a bit and has a little upside. With Clemens, you know what he is. He's not going to give you any more than that.

I've said the last few years that at some point, once the cupboard isn't so bare (and we're at that point, in my opinion), it would be nice for the Rams to take a QB in the middle rounds of the draft (like a Mallet or Barkley) that you can groom but not have to throw in right away. Until that time, Davis is an intriguing option.

Yes, I agree. I think you see the Rams pick a QB in next year's draft if one is there they like in the later rounds. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought as many as 3 in as FAs or UDFAs because something tells me this might be Clemons last go this year.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Who's it gonna be? Clemens.

His experience in the league as a starter and familiarity with the offense will trump any physical advantage Davis may or may not have.

I'm not really sure why there's the love affair with Davis that there is. I haven't seen the potential that others have and just consider him JAG. With Bradford's contract structured the way that it is right now, the Rams pretty much have to deal with being very thin at QB2. Maybe they restructure him next year and then the team can bring in a quality backup.

I'm not big on a developmental guy because that ultimately just leads to conflict if the guy shows anything at all. I'd rather have a solid backup who knows his role that could start a few games if need be. Shaun Hill, Kyle Orton, that sort of guy.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sgt. Ram said:

Maybe but what if Sam goes down and the game is tied 20-20 vs. say the 49ers on the road? I'd want Kellen Clemons in there...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Angry Ram said:
Sgt. Ram said:

Maybe but what if Sam goes down and the game is tied 20-20 vs. say the 49ers on the road? I'd want Kellen Clemons in there...

Ayup, if Sam goes down for an extended time ,were gonna STRUGGLE, but if we gotta get a FG to win a game late, Clemons has "a game", Davis man I'm SORRY to say,isn't IMO by any means an NFL QB.

Clemons just sucks less.

And the "bring in" c'mon ,if these coaches were disposed to do that ,it would be happening , that 4th string kid got no reps in practice yesterday but he can't be worse than Davis.

jjab360

Legend
Angry Ram said:
Sgt. Ram said:

Agreed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
Sgt. Ram said:

Yeah, my point. Long term, no.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ima permaban the next person who puts Sam and "down" in the same sentence again.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Ima permaban the next person who puts Sam and "down" in the same sentence again.

Well there wouldn't be much to post about anyway so it MIGHT be a humane thing to do.

New code name for Sam OOH ( Our Only Hope)
In the event of some disaster just say OOH NO!

I wanted to be able to vote for Austin Davis ,but I went to practice the other day and NOW I'm an expert, he misses rec. by huge amounts, and not just to avoid ints.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Back from vacation and I need to see some more games, however, IMO Coach O is right on point about Austin Davis he does not look like the same QB last year. IMO that is why the Rams did not draft a QB.

If it continues to play out this way then Clemens (why do some have trouble spelling his name? It's like Grant Wistrom when everyone would type Winstrom) will get the edge based on experience alone.

The only way the Rams bring in someone else is if there is a total collapse of both and if someone gets released who they really like and IMO that won't happen. In the end I could see one more year of Clemens/Davis and next year the Rams signing someone or drafting a number 2 and although I never been a huge fan of Kellen Clemens, he has shown me some things I like since he's been a Ram and he's sure is a hell of an upgrade over Kyle Boller of a few years back.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
den-the-coach said:
Back from vacation and I need to see some more games, however, IMO Coach O is right on point about Austin Davis he does not look like the same QB last year. IMO that is why the Rams did not draft a QB.

If it continues to play out this way then Clemens (why do some have trouble spelling his name? It's like Grant Wistrom when everyone would type Winstrom) will get the edge based on experience alone.

The only way the Rams bring in someone else is if there is a total collapse of both and if someone gets released who they really like and IMO that won't happen. In the end I could see one more year of Clemens/Davis and next year the Rams signing someone or drafting a number 2 and although I never been a huge fan of Kellen Clemens, he has shown me some things I like since he's been a Ram and he's sure is a hell of an upgrade over Kyle Boller of a few years back.

Sorry koach , Eye'l trie to due beter :p

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
den-the-coach said:
You can blame Clarence.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Just watched the entire Cleveland game and Clemens made some nice throws with the scrubs. I don't think anyone's too high on him as a starter but the more I think about it, he's exactly what a team needs in a backup. Starting experience, some ability, knows the offense and knows his role.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
moklerman said:
he's exactly what a team needs in a backup. Starting experience, some ability, knows the offense and knows his role.

You also need to have the ability to manage the game and win it while I concur with some of your points, Clemens also has the propensity to turn the ball over. Now IMO the Rams were really counting on the growth of Davis that is why they almost did not bring Clemens back and why they went with just a camp arm in Tim Jenkins, but I would like a Thad Lewis sighting in the Gateway City or three solid outings by Austin Davis.

moklerman

Warner-phile
den-the-coach said:
moklerman said:
he's exactly what a team needs in a backup. Starting experience, some ability, knows the offense and knows his role.

You also need to have the ability to manage the game and win it while I concur with some of your points, Clemens also has the propensity to turn the ball over. Now IMO the Rams were really counting on the growth of Davis that is why they almost did not bring Clemens back and why they went with just a camp arm in Tim Jenkins, but I would like a Thad Lewis sighting in the Gateway City or three solid outings by Austin Davis.
Jeez, two things stand out to me when looking back at Clemens' career stats.

As far as turning the ball over, it's a bit tough to really draw any conclusions based on the numbers. His time with the Jets was with a run-first team not really built to succeed in the passing game, not to mention how inexperienced he was when he got the bulk of his starts. With the Rams, he's actually shown some play making ability. At least as much as Davis has.

But to be fair, I thought he had more starting experience under his belt. Dude's only started 12 games in his career. Which pretty much sinks my whole line of reasoning for him to be the backup. He's only 30 so I don't think he's particularly old in QB years and he doesn't have a lot of mileage so to me, it's up to each of them to prove who's better. I'd have to imagine that Clemens has got the advantage in knowledge of the offense but that only goes so far.

I wonder if Clemens will get any time with the 2's and an opportunity to show what he can do or if Davis will get all those snaps again this week?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
moklerman said:
I wonder if Clemens will get any time with the 2's and an opportunity to show what he can do or if Davis will get all those snaps again this week?

IMO he'll work with the two's this week then they continue to flip flop and then make their decision at the end of pre-season. When the Rams claimed Clemens I felt they made a huge mistake because he was just awful with the Jets IMO. However, given the fact that he had one practice in 2011, he played much better than I thought he would.

Clemens does have the ability to move in the pocket, but I was hoping Davis really stepped up his game this year and the Rams were hoping too, however, to this point, he has not. We'll see how he does tonight and how Davis does with the third string.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I'm 50/50 on this.

Davis has the upside. He has the physical traits to potentially be a viable starting QB. However, if Bradford goes down, in a close game, I would favor Clemons. He knows the offense and is less likely to make a losing mistake. He's not likely to make a winning play either.

All that said, I voted Davis. Clemons costs more. If moving forward with Davis and Hekker meant we could bring in additional depth at another position I'd be a supporter of that