Who's down with JPP?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He's likely to sign an incentive-laden deal no matter where he goes (or stays), because there’s so much uncertainty about his future production, so why not throw our hat into the ring if the Giants choose not to re-sign him?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you're on the fence then? lol.

27 years old, double digit sacks (pre-injury), and the possibility that his reconstructed hand won't be a hindrance.
Why not?

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Getting a naughty by nature vibe from the title.

There's a possibility he and Mario Williams hit the market, which would be crazy to believe a few years ago.

Honestly, unless the Giants are completely fed up with him, I think JPP stays in New York. They need all the defensive talent they can get and it would be seemingly easier to keep their own.

If he does slip through the Giants, I wouldn't mind another 1 year rental like Nick Fairley. The dude still had some good moments after coming back from his fireworks injury. Could be a real interesting addition to the line.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
No thanks, the knock on him was there questions about him on the mental side of things. Him blowing his hand to bits playing with fireworks confirms he isn't the best decision maker. He's a guy who is successful based on his freakish athleticism. As soon as that slips he will fall off the cliff IMO. I want no part of him. Bring back Hayes and if he wants too much, bring back Sims and Draft a DE in the 2-4 round range. Jrry turned me on to Bullard from Florida who has that DE and DT versatility. I could see him being a great fit to take over the Hayes role and hopefully learn from the man himself for a couple of years. If they can hit on another strong LDE that will really help control the line of scrimmage.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Absolutely not, IMO, it's imperative to have full capability of your hands to shed blockers and rush the passer as well, being in Upstate, NY I watched many Giant games and JPP was a non factor and struggled now I hope he can overcome his setback, but let him do that someplace else.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Getting a naughty by nature vibe from the title.

There's a possibility he and Mario Williams hit the market, which would be crazy to believe a few years ago.

Honestly, unless the Giants are completely fed up with him, I think JPP stays in New York. They need all the defensive talent they can get and it would be seemingly easier to keep their own.

If he does slip through the Giants, I wouldn't mind another 1 year rental like Nick Fairley. The dude still had some good moments after coming back from his fireworks injury. Could be a real interesting addition to the line.
Personally, I'd rather take a shot w/Mario Williams. JPP scares me because of the injury! JMO

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So you're on the fence then? lol.

27 years old, double digit sacks (pre-injury), and the possibility that his reconstructed hand won't be a hindrance.
Why not?

First would be the cap hit on our cap funds the next dew yrs that would not help the resigning of present day Rams. 2017 UFA's NT Brockers, LB'er Alex Ogletree, WR/RB Tavon Austin, SS TJ McDonald, OG Garrett Reynolds & WR Kenny Britt.

I don't think I need to go one from there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cap hit probably wouldn't be much. Nobody knows if he's recovered from his hand injury enough to be productive again. Nobody. So a prove it deal is likely in his future.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only if we're able to sign our important free agents, and by that I mean the three in the secondary and Hayes. Have addressed the QB position either in the draft or free agency. I'm all for adding vets on the DLine with something to prove but we have bigger priorities imo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I only saw a couple of Giants games, but he was disruptive in them.

No doubt the hand is going to impact things, but he still looked good to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
For some reason i'm not too concerned finding pass rushers with Fisher in charge. He could probably find one at the local swap meet.

fearsomefour

Legend
What will he cost?
More than Sims? I would take him over Sims as a rotational DE. But, no willing to spend a bunch of money on him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I really don't want to entertain ANY outside FAs until we wrap up both JJ and Trujo. After we wrap up those cats and get Barron, McLeod AND BROCKERS done... then I say lets look outside.

Btw, I know most folks are ignoring Fairley or just assuming he'll leave, but don't count on it. I think he'd be worth another contract in that same range. He REALLY started to come on at the end and we can't have AD playing 80% of the snaps as a DL or we'll burn him out. Fairley coming on down the stretch was part of why the D came on. He may leave for greener pastures, but if he's willing to stay, I'd be willing to have him.

But before we look outside, I really want to lock up our core first. I'm just really worried about that Raiders warchest...

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I really don't want to entertain ANY outside FAs until we wrap up both JJ and Trujo. After we wrap up those cats and get Barron, McLeod AND BROCKERS done... then I say lets look outside.

Btw, I know most folks are ignoring Fairley or just assuming he'll leave, but don't count on it. I think he'd be worth another contract in that same range. He REALLY started to come on at the end and we can't have AD playing 80% of the snaps as a DL or we'll burn him out. Fairley coming on down the stretch was part of why the D came on. He may leave for greener pastures, but if he's willing to stay, I'd be willing to have him.

But before we look outside, I really want to lock up our core first. I'm just really worried about that Raiders warchest...

I would just imaging that Fairley would want to go somewhere with more opportunities for playing time along with a longer contract so he can have some stability.

I don't imagine him coming back unless he really likes playing for Fisher.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well he saw what it was like in Detroit and now he's seen what it's like to be part of a good D in St. Louis now LA. And LA looks to be a rising team (HOPEFULLY!!!). It's every FA's question. Money or playoffs/ring? Is that even a consideration? Some don't have that question because only a few teams want them and their questions revolve around fit and playing time.

I honestly don't know what will be the factors that will determine if Fairley will stay. I do think that Fisher and our D will make it harder for him to go than he thought when he signed a year ago. Honestly, I think players WANT to play on this D and that's not a small thing. We're hard on our team and our players and coaches, but this D is a place players want to be and that's a really good thing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would you not think that a 28 yr old Nick Fairley wants to make starting $$$ & a starting position? Fairley will not get that here over Brockers & Donald. Fact is Fairley plays the Aaron Donald position much better than the NT Brockers position so I just do not see where the Rams can match the starting bids he is sure to get by boatloads after his 2015 perfromance.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I don't disagree Bonifay. I just don't know what he wants. Does he want $5M and a chance at a Ring playing on a D that he really likes in a rotation with a potentially all time great DL? Does he want starter time and money on a potentially bad team in a situation that may not even be as good as Detroit was?

I dunno. Like I said, I don't know what will be his motivations or what the weights will be. If he's offered a 6 year $60M contract from someone, I'm pretty sure he's going to go and the Rams will look EVEN BETTER to other D vets to come on one year "prove it" deals because we have a D that will make them look good (looking at you, Mario Williams).

I dunno what's gonna happen. I just know that I wouldn't just assume he's off to green pastures. He may be offered a bunch right away. Or... he may be offered some henky deal with weird incentives and he may decide he'd rather work with our FO on something and wait until after the core is signed and see if there's room for him.

We'll see how it all shakes out. I know that first week of FA will be nerve-wracking for us all. I think much of our success will be determined in the off-season.