Whiners Historically Bad Draft Choice: Rogers vs. Smith

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I came across this video, and thought it was very interesting, in anticipation of the draft. Some things of note:
  • The Whiners, of course, making a choice that still haunts them. :)
  • Jaws, displaying his usual bad judgment.
  • Fisher, displaying his usual bad judgement, picking Pacman Jones, rather than Antrelle Rolle.
  • Douche Mel Kiper spewing his usual overrated BS.

View: https://youtu.be/byr00d5QrLI

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the funny thing is the whiners had rodgers ahead the whole way until they met the week before. alex smith brought his mum along and opened the car door for her. this one act convinced the whiners he was the man for the job as they viewed rodgers as cocky.

or something like that.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

the funny thing is the whiners had rodgers ahead the whole way until they met the week before. alex smith brought his mum along and opened the car door for her. this one act convinced the whiners he was the man for the job as they viewed rodgers as cocky.

or something like that.

That's high quality stupidity right there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Whiners would have probably ruined Rodgers. Don't underestimate the difference being able to sit in Green Bay did for Aaron. He overhauled his mechanics, and the Packers were able to bring him along slowly. He actually looked quite bad in the preseason early in his career. The Whiners did Rodgers the biggest favor ever. It's kind of like how I look back on the Fisher era for us and offensive players who thrived elsewhere. Fisher probably would have ruined a good number of those guys. Hell, he almost ruined Gurley and Goff.

P.S. Taking Jones over Rolle actually was totally understandable. Jones has been a very good CB when healthy and out of trouble. Rolle was a very good safety, but a mediocre CB. He took a risk on character, and it didn't pan out, but Jones did become the better CB than Rolle.

Last edited:

SierraRam

Recreational User
Wow - memories. I was living in Utah at the time. Smith led the Utes to an undefeated season, #5 ranking, and a dominant Bowl win over Pitt. He was a total stud college QB - Smart, good arm and mobile. Oh yeah... and just about every other team in the NFL passed on Rodgers too.

And as @jrry32 pointed out - with very few exceptions, every college QB can benefit from sitting and learning..

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Ugh, never knew Fisher picked Pacman Jones. Why, oh why, did I ever give ‘stache a chance...

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
giphy.gif

My initial reaction to the thread title

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Tho I wish you were right, I’m pretty sure Armstead, Buckner and Thomas are not remotely close to bust material

This guy Garnett just might be pretty good also

As for the rest, I agree

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

or something like that.

Fucking guy opening the car door for his Mother. Jerkstore!!!!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Eric Reid is considered a bust?! He's been an all-pro and a prow bowler.

As for smith, I think he got a bad rap in sf. That team was garbage when he got there. That's why they were picking first! The coaching during his tenure there was horrible. There was a lotta talent just sitting there waiting for a coach like harblah.

Smith went on a winning run that was obscene, only to be traded. The Chiefs made the playoffs nearly every year with smith under center. Sure, at that point you want post season success, but meanwhile the Rams weren't even sniffing the playoffs.

Do I think rogers is better? Yes I do, but he was FORTUNATE not to be picked by the 9ers.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I came across this video, and thought it was very interesting, in anticipation of the draft. Some things of note:
  • The Whiners, of course, making a choice that still haunts them. :)
  • Jaws, displaying his usual bad judgment.
  • Fisher, displaying his usual bad judgement, picking Pacman Jones, rather than Antrelle Rolle.
  • Douche Mel Kiper spewing his usual overrated BS.

View: https://youtu.be/byr00d5QrLI

This video and Time has proven "Jaws" doesn't know his A$$ from a hole in the ground!:rolllaugh:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

More like a bunch of meh. AJ Jenkins was the worst, obviously.

What's funnier to me is that their best 3 picks out of the bunch are no longer on the team due to off-field idiocy.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
More like a bunch of meh. AJ Jenkins was the worst, obviously.

What's funnier to me is that their best 3 picks out of the bunch are no longer on the team due to off-field idiocy.
That’s my take too. Smith, Reid and Foster could all be good core guys on a good defense. But nah.