Which Training Camp Battles Will Have Biggest Impact on 2014 NFL Season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Which Training Camp Battles Will Have Biggest Impact on 2014 NFL Season?
By Andrew Garda, Featured Columnist Jul 7, 2014

Not all training camp battles are created equal.

An awful lot of them are intriguing, but some simply have a wider area of impact than others.

The following eight battles all have some potentially far-reaching ramifications not just for the team involved but the division, conference and league around them.

There will certainly be some training camp battles that are on this list which don't really do much and some which didn't make the list which we'll look back at and say "holy crap how did we miss that?"

Some of these teams are on the list because of how good they normally are, and how any issue could make them vulnerable. Some are on the list because the right choice at a position could make things interesting in their division and maybe even produce a playoff run.

All of them are worth watching.

St. Louis Rams Running Back Battle: Zac Stacy vs. Tre Mason

hi-res-2671e9e19be38eb3a8b047a85e5cb959_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Roberson/Associated Press

When quarterback Sam Bradford tore his ACL last season and ended up on injured reserve, it looked like the season would be a disaster.

Don’t get me wrong, 7-9 is a bad record. But it could have been much worse if fifth-round rookie Zac Stacy hadn’t totaled 973 yards on the ground, 141 receiving yards and a total of eight touchdowns.

And that was after having all of one carry for the first four weeks of the season.

Not wanting to put all their eggs in one basket, the St. Louis Rams selected Tre Mason with their third-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

The two backs are similar in many ways—both are so-so catching the ball, and both are just 5’8”, though Stacy has about 17 pounds on Mason. Mason has some ball-protection issues and needs to improve his pass-protection skills.

We’re not totally sure what to make of the Rams offense this year. Bradford is in a “prove it or lose it” year for his job, but there aren’t a lot of tremendous pass-catching weapons on the field. We think Chris Givens, Austin Pettis and Tavon Austin should be a dynamic trio, but we’ll have to wait and see. We think Jared Cook can regain the production he flashed in Tennessee, but we’ll have to wait and see.

The one thing we do know is how good Stacy was last season and how good Mason looked at Auburn.

The Rams could be a dark-horse team in the NFC West this year. They have a solid defense, and the offense could be productive.

They may need to rely on the backfield, though, and so, who they choose to lead the way through the tackles will affect the ability of the offense to win games.

If the Rams can put it together, they’ll make some waves in the NFC and could change how the playoffs shake out.

Read the rest of the article and slide show by clicking the link.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I could totally live with this being a three headed monster and no back getting a significantly larger amount of snaps than the other two (including Cunningham, who gets no love here but IMO showed enough in the Chicago game to get some run). Backs with different abilities and styles and rest levels coming in at different times could be a big time asset.

That said, I would suspect that if they're all healthy, the Zac Attack is going to be playing predominately.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
the Rams don't want to run Zac into the ground that's why they drafted Mason. He got dinged a lot last season taking the bulk of the carries.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Besides Tavon Austin, which other two receivers get the most snaps.

I have no idea. But if I were to guess, at this point between the 20's, in two WR sets the guys who get the most reps will be Tavon at Z and Britt at X, and then Austin will move inside to the slot in three WR formations and Givens will supplant him at Z. They could do some different things depending on down and distance, but to succinctly take a stab at your scenario I would guess Britt and Givens.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
Britt and Givens. I hoping its Britt and Quick. Time for Quick to step up. Britt and Quick will help the power run game with their blocking

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The D-line vs the O-line and the WRs vs the Secondary. I'm not sure I see a lot of positional battles that interest me all that much. I am pulling for every player in horns and the best will have to beat the best once we start playing real games. I just hope the defense and offense really tune each other up for the regular season and a playoff run.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Hoping it is Jones/Wells. Means that Jones has taken the next step.

Wells is stop-gap. Line will dominate if all healthy and Jones beats out Wells on merit.

Wishful thing I fear

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I could totally live with this being a three headed monster and no back getting a significantly larger amount of snaps than the other two (including Cunningham, who gets no love here but IMO showed enough in the Chicago game to get some run). Backs with different abilities and styles and rest levels coming in at different times could be a big time asset.

That said, I would suspect that if they're all healthy, the Zac Attack is going to be playing predominately.
Maybe Like the 1972 Dolphins, when they had, Larry Csonka-Jim Kiick and Mercurey Morris, and we go un-defeated and Win the SB too!(y)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Hoping it is Jones/Wells. Means that Jones has taken the next step.

Wells is stop-gap. Line will dominate if all healthy and Jones beats out Wells on merit.

Wishful thing I fear

With Robinson being counted on at LG, I think they prefer, as do I, to have the veteran presence of Wells lining up next to him. And with Saffold on the other side, there just won't be the same need for Wells to get beat up like he did having to cover for Williams more often than not last year.

Wells biggest strength, is his ability to get to the second level. And having TWO big physical Guards lined up on either side of him, will benefit HIS play as much as having Robinson between Wells and Long.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
With Robinson being counted on at LG, I think they prefer, as do I, to have the veteran presence of Wells lining up next to him. And with Saffold on the other side, there just won't be the same need for Wells to get beat up like he did having to cover for Williams more often than not last year.

Wells biggest strength, is his ability to get to the second level. And having TWO big physical Guards lined up on either side of him, will benefit HIS play as much as having Robinson between Wells and Long.
Can't wait. I love watching the slobs getting into the second level.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Stacy and Mason will be a good one.
Britt vs. the DB's. Even if Britt doesn't turn out to be a world beater, he will get the Rams DB's ready to play against the big physical WR's they will face.
The one I want to see in camp is Brockers vs. Robinson. they gonna push so hard on each other atoms will be split.
Last but not least ...Hooey vs. Van Dyke. The one battle we have all been waiting for.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Besides Tavon Austin, which other two receivers get the most snaps.

This, and the defensive backfield. Imo there's no question about Stacy being the starter at RB, and there shouldn't be. Will be some competition at that #2 spot though.

tbux

Rookie
To me it is the WRs- I mean NONE of us with any certainty can say who will have the most catches, or yards or tds. Will Bailey come back week 4 and supplant one of the guys? who knows- we hve no idea what we have with Britt yet- has Quick had the light come on? Will Givens return to his rookie form? Will we use Tavon more creatively? Will Pettis get his PT? who knows?? I tend to agree with Prom that starting out it will be Tavon and Britt- and Tavon, Givens and Britt in 3 wr sets.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cunningham vs Mason for #2
Britt vs Givens vs Quick vs Moe vs Bailey vs Pettis vs Tavon(same ol same ol...waiting for a few WR's to clearly separate themselves from the pack)
McGee, Gaines, Joyner, Reid for nickel corner spot
Final DE spot

Irish

Starter
The real battle is Barrett Jones and Greg Robinson. Jones is your prototypical interior lineman, and he has the smarts to play many positions. If Robinson is outclassed by Jones and his ability to soak up the playbook (which is not an easy playbook to learn, especially at your not native position), Robinson could be exposed early in camp as not being ready to play starting NFL guard, which is not a knock on him. Robinson could be an absolute monster as a third tackle/declared tight end on goal line plays and short yardage, and it is no knock on him if he takes a year, like Jones, to study under Boudreau, learn to play the right way, show up next season ready to set the world on fire.