Which player is our "weakest link" on D?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which player is our "weakest link" on D?

• Janoris Jenkins

Votes: 37 26.6%
  • Rodney McLeod

Votes: 67 48.2%
  • James Laurenaitus

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Tru Johnson

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Michael Brockers

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm pretty sure if GW assigned TruJo or EJ to shadow the opposing teams number 1 game in and game out some here would be in for an unpleasant surprise...considering his job responsibility - to me it's mind boggling 29 out of 105 votes have him casted as the "weakest link"
Agree 100%

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
That depends upon the coverage called. I can recall instances where there were big plays made and McLeod got blamed only to hear later from the coaching staff that Jenkins was the culprit. Hopefully when they simplify things, stuff like that goes away.
it does depend on the play call but McLeod has blown plenty of plays without JJ's involvement. McLeods not very disciplined and many times so is Jenkins but at least he has the ability for that gamble to usually turn into a huge play normally for 6. McLeod needs to make more of a jump this year more than JJ IMO. I see McLeod watching the QB or the play action more than the man that is about to run by him.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
Over 100 votes with 0 for Brockers - shows how smart this forum is. People appreciate how good he is and don't get fooled by a lack of eye popping stats.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I'm not playing along with the "weakest list" game. This D is solid enough from top to bottom, player by player. Even the popular targets for fan criticism - Jenkins and McLeod - have more pluses than minuses.

From where I sit, the Rams "weakest link" is only something to consider when they run up against truly remarkable players where they have a matchup problem. For instance, the Rams do really well against scrambling style QBs (e.g Kaep, Wilson...) because of the athletic DL. But the patient dink and dunk QBs with big WRs, that gives them problems (San Diego). Uber athletic WR and quick release QB, that's a problem (OBJ and Manning). Patient offenses with special RBs (APeterson) given them probems.

But then again, these guys give everyone problems, so it stands to reason the Rams wouldn't just totally dominate all the time, right?

The Rams D is in a place now where if you have an average or even above average offense or a particular set of above average players, the Rams D will shut you down, regardless of who you want to pick on. You need to have something very special to beat the Rams D consistently now. Or... you need to have a few big lucky plays where you catch the D sleeping on you.

Or you need to bribe the refs with hotties and drugs in the team party bus.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm just ready for this defense which has been overrated by the media and some fans to finally live up to it's press clippings.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm tripping on the fact that 27% say Jenkins is the weakest link...how is that?

Jenkins and McDonald are the best tacklers in the secondary. I freely admit sometimes Jenkins bites on the fake...but name a more opportunistic guy than Jenkins.

When that guy makes a pick he makes the best of it...and NO one on the D has scored on tunrovers more than Jenkins.

The minute he stops being susceptible to the pump fake...HE's ALL THE WAY THERE!!!

Having said that...this secondary has the potential to challenge the Seahawks as the best.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm tripping on the fact that 27% say Jenkins is the weakest link...how is that?

Jenkins and McDonald are the best tacklers in the secondary. I freely admit sometimes Jenkins bites on the fake...but name a more opportunistic guy than Jenkins.

When that guy makes a pick he makes the best of it...and NO one on the D has scored on tunrovers more than Jenkins.

The minute he stops being susceptible to the pump fake...HE's ALL THE WAY THERE!!!

Having said that...this secondary has the potential to challenge the Seahawks as the best.

Well, for starters, check these stats out, Woodie.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14974/janoris-jenkins

Note the whopping 5 passes defensed last year? Do these look like stats for a world beater CB to you?

And in another thread on this board it was pointed out that Jenkins (along with McLeod and McDonald) were among the league's worst in missed tackles.

I'm too lazy to look up pass completed against rate, but if memory serves, it was well above 68%.

And don't get me started on his still being a sucker for double moves and coverage "miscommunications" with his teammates that result in cheap touchdowns against.

It never ceases to amaze me how Jenkins is still living off his rookie year reputation.

Hell, I think he's now the most overrated starter on our entire team. I'll take Gaines over Jenkins every single Sunday.

Next time, I'm not gonna hold back. Lol.

tempests

Hall of Fame

He's surrendered 12 TD passes the last two years and too many are of the back breaking variety.

We blew that huge lead against Dallas last year, Dez sparked that comeback by juking JJ right out of his shoes. Those 65+ yard TD scores have to stop.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'll take Gaines over Jenkins every single Sunday.

Careful what you ask for, you honestly believe EJ would fare better than JJ vs the oppo's number 1:shades:

Now maybe if we re word the OP to ask which "Position" is the weak link I could go with "defending the other teams best WR" or something like that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm pretty sure if GW assigned TruJo or EJ to shadow the opposing teams number 1 game in and game out some here would be in for an unpleasant surprise...considering his job responsibility - to me it's mind boggling 29 out of 105 votes have him casted as the "weakest link"
To me, " Weakest Link " in this scenario, doesn't necessarily mean the Player is a 'Weak' player, just the weakest of the group given to pick from!!:shades::D

jjab360

Legend

Note the whopping 5 passes defensed last year? Do these look like stats for a world beater CB to you?

And in another thread on this board it was pointed out that Jenkins (along with McLeod and McDonald) were among the league's worst in missed tackles.

I'm too lazy to look up pass completed against rate, but if memory serves, it was well above 68%.

And don't get me started on his still being a sucker for double moves and coverage "miscommunications" with his teammates that result in cheap touchdowns against.

It never ceases to amaze me how Jenkins is still living off his rookie year reputation.

Hell, I think he's now the most overrated starter on our entire team. I'll take Gaines over Jenkins every single Sunday.

Actually, Mcdonald was one of the league's best in missed tackles, only missing 3 tackles and making 92 solo. Janoris and Mcleod missed 13 and 14 while making 54 and 64, respectively.

Here's the original thread:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/broken-tackles-2014-defenses-very-long.37573/

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RamWoodie

Legend

Let me say this to you:

Some folks allow stats to make their case...but the one things stats don't do is show the true picture!

You can call Jenkins overrated all you want...but you have to get a true picture besides stats.

Stats have their place in the discussion...but so does game situations...and the eyeball test.

2015 is on the horizon...let's see what "overrated Jenkins" does.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
not making excuses for JJ but thats the point of the safety especially a more designated free safety . if someone fucks up or gets beat then its the safeties job to keep everything underneath. McLeod doesn't understand that concept yet it seems
Fisher pretty much cleared the air on this when he said that McLeod has been playing better despite misreading some deep balls.. He basically said McLeod was responsible for having deep coverage that's why Jenkins play underneath and McLeod was supposed to play deep.. So we can all stop blaming Jenkins on those touchdowns

Memphis Ram

Legend
Fisher pretty much cleared the air on this when he said that McLeod has been playing better despite misreading some deep balls.. He basically said McLeod was responsible for having deep coverage that's why Jenkins play underneath and McLeod was supposed to play deep.. So we can all stop blaming Jenkins on those touchdowns
Depends on the scores being discussed as I recall the coaching staff blaming Jenkins on some plays, too.

ram007

Starter
Both outside corners are a concern, plus slot corner is not good, for this team and will keep this team from becoming no.1 defense overall in 2015

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
i heard that. i always believed it was usually McLeods fault anyways