What's the deal with Givens?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
HometownBoy said:
OnceARam said:
All I know is that if Givens played for the Colts or the Chiefs he'd be putting up TY Hilton type numbers...
Shitttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. I wish we were as complete a team as the Colts or Chiefs, we'd look pretty damn good with their O-lines and run games, any team that could survive having a bland, boring GM like Smith at the helm is a pretty complete team.

But alas we don't have anything like that, we really need to establish the running game and after that we need somebody to differentiate himself as a number one. I like Givens, but he's a really strong number 2 if we're being honest, he's not going to beat double coverage most times.

We need a guy who differentiates himself as a weapon so much so that they stick to him like a lightning rod and open up opportunities for our other guys.

Yeah, he's probably being asked to do too much. It's sad to admit that though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OnceARam said:
All I know is that if Givens played for the Colts or the Chiefs he'd be putting up TY Hilton type numbers...

I doubt it. Alex Smith makes Sam look like Kurt Warner when it comes to taking risks down the field.

On the Colts...maybe. But T.Y. is a damn good player in his own right.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Chris Givens to me, is a one trick pony. He struggles to get off press coverage, and does NOT like contact. Someone mentioned he has "limped" off the field after a few of his catches in recent games. It tends to happen whenever he takes any kind of hit.

He has alligator arms on slants, will NOT go across the middle, and does not come back to the ball, closing the gap and sealing off defenders breaking on the ball in the air.

His route tree is limited to basically 4 routes. He obviously runs the "9" (go), he runs the hitch, (8 - 10 yard range). He will run the intermediate "out" (although he doesn't run it well), and he does attempt to run the slant. But unless he has space, and doesn't anticipate any contact (especially from the inside), he just wont stick his nose in there and make a play on the ball.

I think a lot of people looked at his "big play" ability and saw his stats (total yards), and just projected him to be the #1 WR on this otherwise grossly inexperienced unit. He is NOT a #1 by any stretch of the imagination.

Will he develop into a more complete WR?..... no reason to think he won't. But to expect him to be that guy already, well, it's not by accident that Austin Pettis is the most consistent guy on this roster at the present time.

Look at the TD pass to Pettis (31 yard in the 4th qtr.). He and Givens ran the exact same route on either side of the field. Bradford initially looked to Givens, but he had yet another issue getting off the LOS (while being covered by the lesser of the two CB's) and had zero separation running his route.

Bradford made the decision to go to Pettis, and made the throw. This says as much about the "lack of trust" in Givens as it does about the amount of trust in Pettis at this point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CoachO said:
Chris Givens to me, is a one trick pony. He struggles to get off press coverage, and does NOT like contact. Someone mentioned he has "limped" off the field after a few of his catches in recent games. It tends to happen whenever he takes any kind of hit.

He has alligator arms on slants, will NOT go across the middle, and does not come back to the ball, closing the gap and sealing off defenders breaking on the ball in the air.

His route tree is limited to basically 4 routes. He obviously runs the "9" (go), he runs the hitch, (8 - 10 yard range). He will run the intermediate "out" (although he doesn't run it well), and he does attempt to run the slant. But unless he has space, and doesn't anticipate any contact (especially from the inside), he just wont stick his nose in there and make a play on the ball.

I think a lot of people looked at his "big play" ability and saw his stats (total yards), and just projected him to be the #1 WR on this otherwise grossly inexperienced unit. He is NOT a #1 by any stretch of the imagination.

Will he develop into a more complete WR?..... no reason to think he won't. But to expect him to be that guy already, well, it's not by accident that Austin Pettis is the most consistent guy on this roster at the present time.

Look at the TD pass to Pettis (31 yard in the 4th qtr.). He and Givens ran the exact same route on either side of the field. Bradford initially looked to Givens, but he had yet another issue getting off the LOS (while being covered by the lesser of the two CB's) and had zero separation running his route.

Bradford made the decision to go to Pettis, and made the throw. This says as much about the "lack of trust" in Givens as it does about the amount of trust in Pettis at this point.

Yep. And despite Bradford underthrowing him on the deep ball, Givens easily could have made the play had he came back to the QB but he elected to instead wait for the ball to come to him and allowed the defender to break it up.