What's Everyone's Opinion On Lt If...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
...we DON'T draft an OT.

1. Do we resign Roger Saffold to start at RG & backup LT/RT?
2. Do we sign an OT in FA at or near league minimum?
3. Or do we do both?

Because as it stands right now, when the new league year starts we have two legitimate tackles on our roster. And one of those tackles JUST had ACL surgery. You need an insurance plan for Long because there is no guarantee he'll be ready for week 1 or be healthy all season.

fearsomefour

Legend
I spend two draft picks on OT this year, whether Roger is resigned or not. A first (after a trade down ideally) and third rounder more than likely.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I spend two draft picks on OT this year, whether Roger is resigned or not. A first (after a trade down ideally) and third rounder more than likely.
I'm on board with this thinking as well.
I do however have a feeling that Saffold will be re-signed to play OG.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We know what we have in Saffold but the price tag is a question mark. I'd say if he wants more than 5 million base salary then let him walk. We gotta resign Quinn and Bradford very soon.

A55VA6

Legend
It's really up to resigning Saffold. I do believe in either FA or draft we have to look at the offensive line, but that doesn't mean we need to panic and draft Mathews or Robinson with the 1st pick.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd draft an OT in the middle rounds like UVA's Moses or UT's James

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I like Saffold at guard if he is reasonable but I also think its a smart idea to take an OT in the draft early regardless. A dominate OL is crucial in our division.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not sure I'm in the vet minimum market, but I'm looking for a vet or young guy like Barksdale.

As much as I love Saffold, his injury history is more than bad luck. I'd be very surprised if he stays, unless the market sees the injury concern and his contract offers are aligned accordingly.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm not sure I'm in the vet minimum market, but I'm looking for a vet or young guy like Barksdale.

As much as I love Saffold, his injury history is more than bad luck. I'd be very surprised if he stays, unless the market sees the injury concern and his contract offers are aligned accordingly.

The hard part is finding a guy like Barksdale. He has the size you want in a T, just not height and weight, but arm length ect. He was a relatively high pick that didnt pan out in Oakland due to various things (coaching matters). So, to get a guy off another team with just the physcial traits you want is hard enough, being lucky enough to get one with the right mentality and abilty to learn like Barksdale is tough. I agree the team should keep scouring for guys.
I agree about Saffold. Love his ability and the passion he showed this year, but, at some point it is beyond bad luck.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm on board with this thinking as well.
I do however have a feeling that Saffold will be re-signed to play OG.
I hope your right. If so, Barksdale is a FA after this year, so, I am still draft two Ts. I would prefer to not have to worry about the position for a while.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Rams have spent a lot of money on Long and chances are that he comes back to play pretty well. Regardless if the rams sign Saffold, number one priority should be OG. Good thing Guards are not really taken early so finding a starting OG in the late first and second round is feasible.

Im going to keep posting this - team needs are as follows:

OG
CB
S
OT
WR
DT
LB

We know what we have in Saffold but the price tag is a question mark. I'd say if he wants more than 5 million base salary then let him walk. We gotta resign Quinn and Bradford very soon.

The upside of the pre rookie wage rules is that you're already paying your pick (in this case Bradford) a lot, so if you want to re-sign him you haven't got to find a lot of money somewhere like the Seahawks will need to do with Wilson

As for the original question if we don't draft an OT in the first Long best be ready for game 1, or
suicidal-smiley-emoticon.gif

ausmurp

Starter
I've been wondering, if Saffold is asking more than the franchise tag for a RT or RG (which ever is cheaper I'd think we could use as he played both positions about evenly), why don't we just franchise tag him? Does anyone know the franchise tag price for RG and RT for 2014?

I've been wondering, if Saffold is asking more than the franchise tag for a RT or RG (which ever is cheaper I'd think we could use as he played both positions about evenly), why don't we just franchise tag him? Does anyone know the franchise tag price for RG and RT for 2014?

Franchise tag is the same across the O line.