What Seahawks Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I don't understand why they think we're cheap shot artists and they aren't. Same mentality on D, same aggressive tendencies. I know we get a little chippy at times, but so do they. At least I'm able to admit it and not cry like a bitch about it.

Because, rightfully or wrongfully, in the almost decades Fisher has been a HC, his teams have earned that reputation.

I think his teams play until the end of the whistle and are aggressive, but I wouldn't say they are cheap shot artists. Though, I guess you could say Haynesworth and Finnegan, among others, helped give him that reputation.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Because, rightfully or wrongfully, in the almost decades Fisher has been a HC, his teams have earned that reputation.

I think his teams play until the end of the whistle and are aggressive, but I wouldn't say they are cheap shot artists. Though, I guess you could say Haynesworth and Finnegan, among others, helped give him that reputation.

Oh I know there are good reasons we have that rep. My point was they play the same game but are too childish to admit it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't understand why they think we're cheap shot artists and they aren't. Same mentality on D, same aggressive tendencies. I know we get a little chippy at times, but so do they. At least I'm able to admit it and not cry like a bitch about it.
I guess they forgot about the fight they got in the Super Bowl because they're a bunch of offsides going baby back bitches.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/08/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-season-preview-nfl

A Complicated Conversation on Russell Wilson's Impact

He is a Super Bowl winner and compensated like one of the league's best players. But is the Seahawks quarterback simply a complementary cog on a well-balanced team? Everything depends on how you look at it

by Andy Benoit

List your rankings of NFL quarterbacks and you’re guaranteed to attract waves of complaints about where you place Russell Wilson. There’s not a more difficult player to categorize. Wilson presents a prism for many fascinating football discussions, if only we can first agree on the basis of the fourth-year pro’s strengths and weaknesses.

For those who can’t understand how some can classify Wilson as a complementary player, here’s how: the Seahawks last season ranked first in rushing, first in defense and had the fewest passing attempts in the league. The year before that they were second in rushing attempts, second to last in pass attempts and first in defense. What else would you call the quarterback of a team like this?

The other side of the argument, however, says we should ignore the overemphasized stats (all of them) and watch the film. It’s plain to see that Wilson is the crux of Seattle’s entire offense—including their running game. This, too, is correct. So both sides of the debate are right. Which means an intelligent discussion about Wilson really isn’t about pigeonholing and properly ranking the player; it’s about understanding how his strengths and weaknesses fit into the context of Seattle’s offense as a whole.

To begin this discussion, we must acknowledges that Wilson does indeed have limitations as a passer. His height can be a negative factor. Saying this doesn’t make you a “doubter” or a “hater”—it makes you a responsible observer of physics. A not-quite 5-11 man sometimes has trouble seeing over a 6-4 defensive lineman who’s reaching for the sky. This is why Wilson rarely climbs the pocket and why he has not developed other nuanced movement as a dropback passer.

This is where the radical Wilson cohorts argue that these physics are overrated and don’t seem to hurt Drew Brees, who is only 6-foot. Brees plays from the pocket and therefore Wilson must be more than capable of that, as well. (Some might even point to some of Wilson’s play-action deep balls from the pocket. But play-action passing is not playing from the pocket—at least not in the full scale sense that we’re talking about.)

Not having Wilson’s mobility, Brees—who is a little taller than Wilson—has had to perfect the subtleties of pocket movement. It’s remarkable that he has. Wilson, on the other hand, has always been able to run away from people. It reasons that he’d have never learned to stay in the pocket. If you can run out of it and suddenly see things clearly, why wouldn’t you?

Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has shrewdly grasped this and built an offense around Wilson’s diverse mobility. He rarely asks Wilson to make progression reads as a dropback passer. (This alone makes Wilson very hard to categorize.) Instead, Bevell employs moving pockets. He also puts his receivers in a lot of isolation routes, which is unusual given he has a very mediocre group here (that’s right, Doug Baldwin—mediocre).

It’s also unusual when considering that a passer with Wilson’s field-reading limitations typically finds comfort in defined reads. But again, there’s nothing usual about Wilson. By spreading the field and putting individual receivers in space, the Seahawks almost tacitly encourage their quarterback to let plays break down and go out of structure.

There isn’t a better all-around, “out of structure” player in the league. When things break down, most quarterbacks play randomized football and go into “survival mode.” With Wilson, there’s a coherency to his out-of-structure movement. He seems to see the field better, he’s great at making all varieties of throws on the move (especially touch throws outside the pocket) and, of course, he’s a dangerous scrambler. Last season, 500 of his 849 yards rushing came on scrambles.

Add those scrambling yards to Seattle’s passing numbers—where, really, scrambling yards should go, since they come out of passing sets, often on passing downs and against pass defenses—and Seattle’s passing game would have ranked 17th instead of 27th. Obviously, though, the Seahawks would still classify as a “run-based” team—leaving open the argument that Wilson is a complementary player.

mmqb-wilson-russ.jpg

Russell Wilson (Peter G. Aiken/Getty Images)

But that compels us to examine how Wilson’s complementary status extends to Seattle’s powerhouse ground game. It’s not just the yards he accumulates, it’s also the threat he poses. A significant portion of Marshawn Lynch’s rushing yards have come out of read-option looks, where opposing defenses must invest some of their energy into containing Wilson. If it’s zone coverage, defenders are hesitant to initially attack Lynch when he takes the handoff.

If it’s man coverage, one of the box’s defenders will be dedicated almost entirely to Wilson. When they’re not, Wilson makes them pay. And unlike with other mobile quarterbacks, there’s a stability to Wilson’s rushing. He doesn’t have Michael Vick’s or Robert Griffin’s fragility because he knows how to protect himself, particularly in the open field. Sliding is a big part of that, but so is simply having a sense for how to go down when tackled. Wilson doesn’t let his body get slammed into the ground.

It’s impossible to quantify the actual value that Wilson brings to Seattle’s ground game. And you can’t label his passing game because so much of what he does almost directly contradicts the way the quarterback position has always been played. All we know is that Wilson has unique traits that allow him to not just get away with playing unconventionally, but to flourish in doing so. Almost any comparison between him and another NFL QB will not be apples to apples.

Also complicating the Wilson conversation is the lore of his late-game achievements. Though Seattle is just 11-8 in one-score contests in his three years, Wilson has 10 fourth-quarter comebacks and 15 game-winning drives. So does he rise up under pressure? You could argue that, by quarterbacking standards, he actually shies away from it. About 20 percent of Wilson’s rushing yards last season came in the fourth quarter of a one-score game. When the contest is tight, Wilson is less likely to throw and more likely to run. Judge that how you may.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider were confronted with this entire Wilson discussion over the offseason. That’s why his contract negotiations seemed to border on contentious. Laudably, the quarterback and organization reached a happy-medium: Wilson signed for less money than he wanted ($31.7 fully guaranteed, an average salary of around $22 million, making him the league’s second-highest paid QB ... for now), but he also signed for only four years, giving himself a chance at another mega deal when he’s 30. Basically, the two-time NFC champion QB bet on himself.

There’s no chance this deal could have gotten done if the Seahawks and Wilson’s camp weren’t both willing to examine the player not in the context of general NFL quarterbacking, but in the context of quarterbacking a uniquely constructed Seahawks team. So instead of all arguing about Wilson until we’re “College Navy Hex”-blue in the face, let’s follow this lead and examine, through an intellectual lens, this quarterback’s status on his club.

Seahawks Nickel Package
1. The crew for ESPN’s NFL Matchup Show broke down all of Marshawn Lynch’s zone carries last season and found that on about 80 percent of them, the tenacious 215-pound back ultimately ran the ball to the back side of the zone. That means Lynch took the handoff, ran behind his sliding O-line, but cut it upfield before even crossing over his center. The Patriots figured this out prior to Super Bowl 49 and had an excellent plan for containing Lynch’s backside runs.

In fact, Seattle’s ground game did not get going until the second half, when, on the second carry of the third quarter, Lynch took the ball to the front side of the zone and gained 15 yards. (Oh the wonders of adjustments that can be made during a 30-minute halftime.) Expect Lynch to remain a backside zone runner. From there, he benefits most from how Wilson’s threat as a runner freezes part of the defense, plus it means he doesn’t have to rely as much on an offensive line that, particularly now without center Max Unger, really isn’t very good.

2. We all know the Seahawks defense is great, but we don’t seem to quite realize howgreat. One could argue it’s the best defense since the ’85 Bears. The statistics (again, overrated, especially when comparing teams across multiple decades) don’t disagree, and just look at the staggering amount of talent across the board. Six Seattle defenders are one of the three best in the league at their respective positions: free safety Earl Thomas (the best, hands down); cornerback Richard Sherman; strong safety Kam Chancellor (possibly the best, once he returns from his holdout, of course); middle linebacker Bobby Wagner; outside linebacker K.J. Wright (if we’re talking strictly 4-3 outside ‘backers); and Michael Bennett as a nickel defensive tackle.

(Bennett is very good as a base 4-3 end, as well, though not quite top-three.) This grouping doesn’t even include nose-shade Brandon Mebane or weakside defensive end Cliff Avril, two other excellent players. The Seahawks run a simple, execution-based scheme because no matter who they face, they’ll always have the superior personnel.

3. We laud Seattle’s hybrid Cover 3 matchup zone system, but last season, and particularly down the stretch, this group played increasingly more man coverage. We even saw the cornerbacks travel with certain receivers at times. (This usually came when injuries left that position group thin.) Will we see more of this in 2015?

4. It was surprising that Schneider signed cornerback Cary Williams. Perhaps Pete Carroll and new defensive coordinator Kris Richard (formerly the DB coach) believe they can teach the lanky 6-1, 190-pounder the “kick-step” press-technique that has helped Sherman, Brandon Browner and Byron Maxwell become high-level starters. But the Seahawks already had a younger, bigger corner on the roster in Tharold Simon.

He was up and down when cast into a starting role last season, but he also costs just 13 percent of what Williams costs. Williams, remember, was cut by the Eagles due in part to his inconsistency, particularly in downfield matchup-zone concepts. For a team that’s now hurting for cap space after long-term deals with Wilson and Wagner (among others), why spend extra for a middling veteran corner when you’ve had so much success developing your own low-drafted young guys?

5. We’d be remiss to preview the 2015 Seahawks and not mention new tight end Jimmy Graham. A lot of emphasis has been placed on Graham’s blocking, which needs to improve. But Graham’s real value will be late in the down, when Wilson goes out of structure. That’s where Graham’s ability to post-up defenders becomes a plus.

A55VA6

Legend

Eugene Sims has been delivering some cheap shots recently lol

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I don't think it is that far fetched for fans of their team to pick theirs to win over the other. Most Rams fans are picking the Rams to win. If we had been to two straight Super Bowls we would be expecting the Rams to win every game no matter where they were playing.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I don't think it is that far fetched for fans of their team to pick theirs to win over the other. Most Rams fans are picking the Rams to win. If we had been to two straight Super Bowls we would be expecting the Rams to win every game no matter where they were playing.

I guess I will be the one Rams fan who says I don't think there's any way the Rams win.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Wussell is damn good at recognizing certain packages and looks at the line, then you have his pocket awareness and scrambling to extend a play. That's the only damn credit I'll give him as an arm chair GM.

However, GW and Co.are going to fucking bring a swarm on Sunday and it will be such beautiful sights to see.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I guess I will be the one Rams fan who says I don't think there's any way the Rams win.

I have picked the Hawks to win a close game. Until I see this team under Fisher not come out slow to start a season, I just have a hard time picking them in such a big game. The Vikings game last year is a good example. And the Hawks are better than the Vikings.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I have picked the Hawks to win a close game. Until I see this team under Fisher not come out slow to start a season, I just have a hard time picking them in such a big game. The Vikings game last year is a good example. And the Hawks are better than the Vikings.

So many new pieces on offense, and this teams tendency to not be prepared no matter what is a recipe for disaster. We'll see. That's why you play the game after all. Just need the O to keep the D off the field long enough. Hopefully they're in game ready condition, cause they will be tested chasing RW all over week 1.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
We're going to need A+ play from our secondary and LBs this game and the whole season. Teams are gonna be throwing quick routes all day on us so we have to defend it or our d-line will be useless. Same issue last few years but I'm hoping this year starts off different. Although it all comes into the bend but don't break mentality I believe.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I haven't been all that optimistic about our chances. With the way they looked during the preseason and the problems we're expecting on the line, its hard to imagine how they can beat a top tier team.

But I will say this, if they can find a way to get the ball in the endzone a couple times I think they stand a good chance to win. I expect the defense to give their offense fits. I think 17-20 points would be enough for a win. Of course, thats assuming the defense doesn't start like last season.

Lesson

Oh, really?
The team's twice played a competitive 1st game of the season. 2012 and 2013. I can't remember why they lost vs DET except that it was something within the final minutes and in 2013 they won vs AZ.

1st game last year was just an a snowball turned into an avalanche of bleh vs MIN.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
She's a freaking bitch who hates everything St. Louis and bashes us whenever she can. You know that she's banned over here, right?

She calls us a hick town, tries to divide the fanbases further, and is negative as crap. You wonder why I have a grudge against her? You wonder why she's been banned at damn near every Rams forum she's gone to and has to talk her crap over on a Seahags forum? I'll just post some of her quotes:

I really, really want to tear her apart verbally. Woman to woman.

Lol reading her quotes I would feel the same way about LA if the Rams moved there. And honestly it's sad but true that if you walk around town and ask people about the rams you will be hard pressed to find a fan but every one is a cardinals (baseball) fan. Hell I hate baseball but imma cards fan

ram007

Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/08/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-season-preview-nfl

A Complicated Conversation on Russell Wilson's Impact

He is a Super Bowl winner and compensated like one of the league's best players. But is the Seahawks quarterback simply a complementary cog on a well-balanced team? Everything depends on how you look at it

by Andy Benoit

List your rankings of NFL quarterbacks and you’re guaranteed to attract waves of complaints about where you place Russell Wilson. There’s not a more difficult player to categorize. Wilson presents a prism for many fascinating football discussions, if only we can first agree on the basis of the fourth-year pro’s strengths and weaknesses.

For those who can’t understand how some can classify Wilson as a complementary player, here’s how: the Seahawks last season ranked first in rushing, first in defense and had the fewest passing attempts in the league. The year before that they were second in rushing attempts, second to last in pass attempts and first in defense. What else would you call the quarterback of a team like this?

The other side of the argument, however, says we should ignore the overemphasized stats (all of them) and watch the film. It’s plain to see that Wilson is the crux of Seattle’s entire offense—including their running game. This, too, is correct. So both sides of the debate are right. Which means an intelligent discussion about Wilson really isn’t about pigeonholing and properly ranking the player; it’s about understanding how his strengths and weaknesses fit into the context of Seattle’s offense as a whole.

To begin this discussion, we must acknowledges that Wilson does indeed have limitations as a passer. His height can be a negative factor. Saying this doesn’t make you a “doubter” or a “hater”—it makes you a responsible observer of physics. A not-quite 5-11 man sometimes has trouble seeing over a 6-4 defensive lineman who’s reaching for the sky. This is why Wilson rarely climbs the pocket and why he has not developed other nuanced movement as a dropback passer.

This is where the radical Wilson cohorts argue that these physics are overrated and don’t seem to hurt Drew Brees, who is only 6-foot. Brees plays from the pocket and therefore Wilson must be more than capable of that, as well. (Some might even point to some of Wilson’s play-action deep balls from the pocket. But play-action passing is not playing from the pocket—at least not in the full scale sense that we’re talking about.)

Not having Wilson’s mobility, Brees—who is a little taller than Wilson—has had to perfect the subtleties of pocket movement. It’s remarkable that he has. Wilson, on the other hand, has always been able to run away from people. It reasons that he’d have never learned to stay in the pocket. If you can run out of it and suddenly see things clearly, why wouldn’t you?

Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has shrewdly grasped this and built an offense around Wilson’s diverse mobility. He rarely asks Wilson to make progression reads as a dropback passer. (This alone makes Wilson very hard to categorize.) Instead, Bevell employs moving pockets. He also puts his receivers in a lot of isolation routes, which is unusual given he has a very mediocre group here (that’s right, Doug Baldwin—mediocre).

It’s also unusual when considering that a passer with Wilson’s field-reading limitations typically finds comfort in defined reads. But again, there’s nothing usual about Wilson. By spreading the field and putting individual receivers in space, the Seahawks almost tacitly encourage their quarterback to let plays break down and go out of structure.

There isn’t a better all-around, “out of structure” player in the league. When things break down, most quarterbacks play randomized football and go into “survival mode.” With Wilson, there’s a coherency to his out-of-structure movement. He seems to see the field better, he’s great at making all varieties of throws on the move (especially touch throws outside the pocket) and, of course, he’s a dangerous scrambler. Last season, 500 of his 849 yards rushing came on scrambles.

Add those scrambling yards to Seattle’s passing numbers—where, really, scrambling yards should go, since they come out of passing sets, often on passing downs and against pass defenses—and Seattle’s passing game would have ranked 17th instead of 27th. Obviously, though, the Seahawks would still classify as a “run-based” team—leaving open the argument that Wilson is a complementary player.

mmqb-wilson-russ.jpg

Russell Wilson (Peter G. Aiken/Getty Images)

But that compels us to examine how Wilson’s complementary status extends to Seattle’s powerhouse ground game. It’s not just the yards he accumulates, it’s also the threat he poses. A significant portion of Marshawn Lynch’s rushing yards have come out of read-option looks, where opposing defenses must invest some of their energy into containing Wilson. If it’s zone coverage, defenders are hesitant to initially attack Lynch when he takes the handoff.

If it’s man coverage, one of the box’s defenders will be dedicated almost entirely to Wilson. When they’re not, Wilson makes them pay. And unlike with other mobile quarterbacks, there’s a stability to Wilson’s rushing. He doesn’t have Michael Vick’s or Robert Griffin’s fragility because he knows how to protect himself, particularly in the open field. Sliding is a big part of that, but so is simply having a sense for how to go down when tackled. Wilson doesn’t let his body get slammed into the ground.

It’s impossible to quantify the actual value that Wilson brings to Seattle’s ground game. And you can’t label his passing game because so much of what he does almost directly contradicts the way the quarterback position has always been played. All we know is that Wilson has unique traits that allow him to not just get away with playing unconventionally, but to flourish in doing so. Almost any comparison between him and another NFL QB will not be apples to apples.

Also complicating the Wilson conversation is the lore of his late-game achievements. Though Seattle is just 11-8 in one-score contests in his three years, Wilson has 10 fourth-quarter comebacks and 15 game-winning drives. So does he rise up under pressure? You could argue that, by quarterbacking standards, he actually shies away from it. About 20 percent of Wilson’s rushing yards last season came in the fourth quarter of a one-score game. When the contest is tight, Wilson is less likely to throw and more likely to run. Judge that how you may.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider were confronted with this entire Wilson discussion over the offseason. That’s why his contract negotiations seemed to border on contentious. Laudably, the quarterback and organization reached a happy-medium: Wilson signed for less money than he wanted ($31.7 fully guaranteed, an average salary of around $22 million, making him the league’s second-highest paid QB ... for now), but he also signed for only four years, giving himself a chance at another mega deal when he’s 30. Basically, the two-time NFC champion QB bet on himself.

There’s no chance this deal could have gotten done if the Seahawks and Wilson’s camp weren’t both willing to examine the player not in the context of general NFL quarterbacking, but in the context of quarterbacking a uniquely constructed Seahawks team. So instead of all arguing about Wilson until we’re “College Navy Hex”-blue in the face, let’s follow this lead and examine, through an intellectual lens, this quarterback’s status on his club.

Seahawks Nickel Package
1. The crew for ESPN’s NFL Matchup Show broke down all of Marshawn Lynch’s zone carries last season and found that on about 80 percent of them, the tenacious 215-pound back ultimately ran the ball to the back side of the zone. That means Lynch took the handoff, ran behind his sliding O-line, but cut it upfield before even crossing over his center. The Patriots figured this out prior to Super Bowl 49 and had an excellent plan for containing Lynch’s backside runs.

In fact, Seattle’s ground game did not get going until the second half, when, on the second carry of the third quarter, Lynch took the ball to the front side of the zone and gained 15 yards. (Oh the wonders of adjustments that can be made during a 30-minute halftime.) Expect Lynch to remain a backside zone runner. From there, he benefits most from how Wilson’s threat as a runner freezes part of the defense, plus it means he doesn’t have to rely as much on an offensive line that, particularly now without center Max Unger, really isn’t very good.

2. We all know the Seahawks defense is great, but we don’t seem to quite realize howgreat. One could argue it’s the best defense since the ’85 Bears. The statistics (again, overrated, especially when comparing teams across multiple decades) don’t disagree, and just look at the staggering amount of talent across the board. Six Seattle defenders are one of the three best in the league at their respective positions: free safety Earl Thomas (the best, hands down); cornerback Richard Sherman; strong safety Kam Chancellor (possibly the best, once he returns from his holdout, of course); middle linebacker Bobby Wagner; outside linebacker K.J. Wright (if we’re talking strictly 4-3 outside ‘backers); and Michael Bennett as a nickel defensive tackle.

(Bennett is very good as a base 4-3 end, as well, though not quite top-three.) This grouping doesn’t even include nose-shade Brandon Mebane or weakside defensive end Cliff Avril, two other excellent players. The Seahawks run a simple, execution-based scheme because no matter who they face, they’ll always have the superior personnel.

3. We laud Seattle’s hybrid Cover 3 matchup zone system, but last season, and particularly down the stretch, this group played increasingly more man coverage. We even saw the cornerbacks travel with certain receivers at times. (This usually came when injuries left that position group thin.) Will we see more of this in 2015?

4. It was surprising that Schneider signed cornerback Cary Williams. Perhaps Pete Carroll and new defensive coordinator Kris Richard (formerly the DB coach) believe they can teach the lanky 6-1, 190-pounder the “kick-step” press-technique that has helped Sherman, Brandon Browner and Byron Maxwell become high-level starters. But the Seahawks already had a younger, bigger corner on the roster in Tharold Simon.

He was up and down when cast into a starting role last season, but he also costs just 13 percent of what Williams costs. Williams, remember, was cut by the Eagles due in part to his inconsistency, particularly in downfield matchup-zone concepts. For a team that’s now hurting for cap space after long-term deals with Wilson and Wagner (among others), why spend extra for a middling veteran corner when you’ve had so much success developing your own low-drafted young guys?

5. We’d be remiss to preview the 2015 Seahawks and not mention new tight end Jimmy Graham. A lot of emphasis has been placed on Graham’s blocking, which needs to improve. But Graham’s real value will be late in the down, when Wilson goes out of structure. That’s where Graham’s ability to post-up defenders becomes a plus.

This is one of the best overall analysis I have seen by an author in years. Qudos

RamzFanz

Damnit
With the way they looked during the preseason and the problems we're expecting on the line, its hard to imagine how they can beat a top tier team.

Well, the Rams have crushed the Seahawks in preseason stats. So, either the stats don't matter or you shouldn't worry.

By the way, the Seahawks have a horrible offensive line. Just terrible. I can't predict games, but I can sure as heck imagine our D line teeing up on the Seahawks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I love how they call the special teams trickery "b.s."

They're just bitter that they got done over so badly by it twice in one game.
It's only bs when it works, apparently.
And specials teams (again, apparently) are only for kicking footballs or making fair catches.
Not a real important aspect of any football team's arsenal.

Sheesh. These people.