What is a "true #1 WR"??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

A number 1 receiver is a WR that demands double coverage from a defense. Do the Rams have someone like this?
nope. and when i think of "threats on offense" , outside of tavon, I can't think of any. We don't have a receiver where a defensive coordinator goes "we have to stop him!"

Ram_of_Old

nope. and when i think of "threats on offense" , outside of tavon, I can't think of any. We don't have a receiver where a defensive coordinator goes "we have to stop him!"

It would be nice to have one though....huh?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Problem is you don't have to spend a top 5 pick on a tackle and convert them to a Guard to fix the o-line - there are plenty of talented Guard prospects that will more than likely be available in the first 2 rounds.

I'd be in the draft a Tackle camp if we didn't have a LT - but we do. And last I checked, Jake Long signed a 4 year deal one year ago, and I don't see him being cut any time soon...Oh and unlike our Wide Receiver position, Jake Long played at a high level - top 5 even. And according to some health experts, The Rams expectation of Jake Long being back week 1 is not far fetched or unrealistic.

That's just short term thinking. The later selected guard would also have to also be able to play an effective OT in the future to be comparable. The 2014 draft is not just about the 2014 season. Besides, why are so many banking on a top five selected OT playing guard. He might. Or the guy could also play OT with Barksdale being the swing guy or moving to guard himself.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The big thing we seem to be going round and round on though is that it seems, at times, that some of the people in the draft a tackle camp are creating a false dilemma: #1 WR or fix the OL. No one's saying don't fix the OL. What we're saying is that it's possible to do BOTH. Sure, you won't get your elite tackle (unless you want Lewan, which makes me very uneasy) or we do some fancy tradeups (or someone takes one HELL of a tumble). But it's not a choice of draft a tackle to play guard for who knows how long or OL is still broken.

And honestly, if we are going to draft a tackle, I want Matthews over Robinson... Robinson seems a real boom or bust type guy.

Seems to me that the actual dilemma is whether or not it makes sense to pass on a potential franchise OLineman (or other position), who again may or may not play guard as rookies, vs. using such a high draft choice at what many consider one of, if not, the DEEEEEPEST positions in the 2014 NFL Draft. And with a roster already filled with young WRs still developing (which can't be said at OLine, btw) on a Jeff Fisher coached team (Not Martz, but Fisher). And how some seem to know what others believe is impossible to know yet regarding those young WRs already on the roster amazes me.

On top of that the player being touted is a kid that caught 70% of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. It's mind boggling to me.

Last edited:

iced

That's just short term thinking. The later selected guard would also have to also be able to play an effective OT in the future to be comparable. The 2014 draft is not just about the 2014 season. Besides, why are so many banking on a top five selected OT playing guard. He might. Or the guy could also play OT with Barksdale being the swing guy or moving to guard himself.

This is my problem with spending a top 5 pick on a tackle - it is short term thinking. Unless we're cutting jake long soon (which would be stupid), where is he going to play? If Barskdale played Guard as well as he does tackle, I would imagine he'd already be there. That's the big issue I have - we already have 2 tackles. Spend a top 5 pick on a guard/swing tackle? Yea, that'd be a waste.

Unless Long or Barksdale have career threatening injuries between now and the draft,i don't see the point in taking a tackle and making him play guard for atleast 3 years. I'm not saying ignore the o/l - but I'd rather get a guard in the 2nd and get another guard or swing tackle in the 3rd and/or 4th.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is my problem with spending a top 5 pick on a tackle - it is short term thinking. Unless we're cutting jake long soon (which would be stupid), where is he going to play? If Barskdale played Guard as well as he does tackle, I would imagine he'd already be there. That's the big issue I have - we already have 2 tackles. Spend a top 5 pick on a guard/swing tackle? Yea, that'd be a waste.

Unless Long or Barksdale have career threatening injuries between now and the draft,i don't see the point in taking a tackle and making him play guard for atleast 3 years. I'm not saying ignore the o/l - but I'd rather get a guard in the 2nd and get another guard or swing tackle in the 3rd and/or 4th.

So knowing that Barksdale is a FA after 2014 and not picking a OT to groom for his replacement is not shortsighted? :confused:

iced

So knowing that Barksdale is a FA after 2014 and not picking a OT to groom for his replacement is not shortsighted? :confused:

So are we assuming we don't want him or we're not going to even try to resign him?

I think I know a question for Joe's next chat :D

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So are we assuming we don't want him or we're not going to even try to resign him?

I think I know a question for Joe's next chat :D
Not at all however if Saffold can get $8M a year what do you think Barksdale will be worth after another productive year if he stays healthy?

Matthews and maybe Robinson could play one or the OT with Long presuming they keep Long after 2014. His guaranteed money will be gone and he could be a cap casualty too. And of the two only Robinson could be considered a G or swing T, Matthews could start at LT in 2014 and be above average.

iced

Not at all however if Saffold can get $8M a year what do you think Barksdale will be worth after another productive year if he stays healthy?

Matthews and maybe Robinson could play one or the OT with Long presuming they keep Long after 2014. His guaranteed money will be gone and he could be a cap casualty too. And of the two only Robinson could be considered a G or swing T, Matthews could start at LT in 2014 and be above average.

If Long plays at the same high level he was last season (and there's no reason to think he won't), then there's no way he's a cap casualty.

We have no idea where Saffold is playing - but given we're hearing oakland's interest and arizona is gunning hard after Veldheer now, I'm guessing saffold is going to oakland to play LT at $8 million a year. Right Tackles, like barksdale, don't get paid anything like that.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If Long plays at the same high level he was last season (and there's no reason to think he won't), Except for the fact that he is having his knee reconstructed then there's no way he's a cap casualty.

We have no idea where Saffold is playing - but given we're hearing oakland's interest and arizona is gunning hard after Veldheer now, I'm guessing saffold is going to oakland to play LT at $8 million a year. Right Tackles, like barksdale, don't get paid anything like that. I have not seen any signings yet for comparison

iced

1)Except for the fact that he is having his knee reconstructed
2)I have not seen any signings yet for comparison
1)So one ACL Tear ruins a career? Especially young, at age 28? Uhh no, it doesn't. And it's especially different for offensive lineman vs a skill position like corner or running back. Can't believe we're discussing getting replacing a guy in the short immediate future that is young and was a Top 5 LT last season. Just like not every team has a #1 WR, not every team has a Top tier LT like Jake Long.

2)Well no one has signed, and I don't think anyone has EVER signed a RT to anything above 6 million per year.. RT's just don't make the big bucks. LT has been mainly the premiere position the OL, followed by Guards.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
To answer the question posed in the OP, a number one receiver is someone who requires at least double coverage.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
1)So one ACL Tear ruins a career? Especially young, at age 28? Uhh no, it doesn't. And it's especially different for offensive lineman vs a skill position like corner or running back. Can't believe we're discussing getting replacing a guy in the short immediate future that is young and was a Top 5 LT last season. Just like not every team has a #1 WR, not every team has a Top tier LT like Jake Long. The Rams have been so bad for so long we have not had the luxury of talking about these kinds of things. The Rams need to be thinking of plan B and the fact that Boudreau was the one working out both Matthews and Robinson says they know the O line is a problem.

2)Well no one has signed, and I don't think anyone has EVER signed a RT to anything above 6 million per year.. RT's just don't make the big bucks. LT has been mainly the premiere position the OL, followed by Guards. Good to know they can have a good player at that position and not have to break the bank

iced

The Rams have been so bad for so long we have not had the luxury of talking about these kinds of things. The Rams need to be thinking of plan B and the fact that Boudreau was the one working out both Matthews and Robinson says they know the O line is a problem
More like calling it doing their due diligence... A position coach working out a prospect is not a shock or an indicator of who they're gonna draft.. That's like saying because Ray Sherman works out Sammy Watkins means that they know WR is a problem, mike wauffle working out clowney, chuck cecil and clinton-dix, etc.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
after this season B. Quick will be the definition of true #1 WR

Memphis Ram

Legend

Yeah. Long term thinking acknowledges that Jake Long has suffered 3 serious injuries for 3 seasons in a row and the now 28 year old will be 30 prior to the 2015 season. His injury history is the reason the team structured his contract they way the did and why he didn't have the market some might have expected. Quality LTs don't just become available when teams need one. And the team has an opportunity to select a player that can be one this year. That might not be the case next year or the year after.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't know what a true #1 wr is, I just know we don't have one.

iced

Yeah. Long term thinking acknowledges that Jake Long has suffered 3 serious injuries for 3 seasons in a row and the now 28 year old will be 30 prior to the 2015 season. His injury history is the reason the team structured his contract they way the did and why he didn't have the market some might have expected. Quality LTs don't just become available when teams need one. And the team has an opportunity to select a player that can be one this year. That might not be the case next year or the year after.

Again - it's not like he was constantly nicked up or missing games here and there. Hell i don't remember him even being questionable for games.. He's not a Rogger Saffold, Donnie Avery, or Danario Alexander. He started 15 games, 1 short of a full season. Fisher knows how to handle his vets.

At this point I'm not concerned about Long's longevity - and considering the exhaustive physical the Rams put him through, I doubt they're concerned now.

We have an LT for atleast 3 more years as of now - and there are much bigger areas that need to be addressed..

We have a talented starter at LT, right now - there are other positions on this team that we can't say the same thing for, let alone playing at an extremely high level

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
More like calling it doing their due diligence... A position coach working out a prospect is not a shock or an indicator of who they're gonna draft.. That's like saying because Ray Sherman works out Sammy Watkins means that they know WR is a problem, mike wauffle working out clowney, chuck cecil and clinton-dix, etc.
OK let's just agree that neither of us is going to change our position on this and we'll just have to wait and see what happens