What if we sign Richie and Saffold?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Here are some fact's that I would look at.

The Rams OL looks very weak in the interior.
The left side of the Miami Dolphins was outstanding when Jake & Cog were teamed together.
Cog & Jake go together like peanut butter & jelly.
In 2012 Cog made the pro bowl team playing next to Jake.
Cog if signed would be an instant starter @ OLG next to Jake
Cog would be the best OG on this Ram team if he signed.
Jake kept Cog out of trouble & that's when Cog has done his best work.
Name me the starting OLG in this Ram OL unit?
The Cog would finally block & manhandle the Seahawks RDT Brandon Mebane something no other Ram OG has never done.

I would not even give the thought of signing the 3O yr old Cog if it were not for Jake Long being here. I would have no issues taking a chance on the Cog for a one yr contract with some serious exclusives pertaining to the Cog behavior on & off the field. I am thinking that Fisher would be able to place very clear lines in front of Cog. Fisher is the type of HC that Cog would respect and behave if not ....bye again.

All very good points. I certainly hope the Rams consider it. If the Rams took the money freed up by Oline moves (Saffold $1.4, Williams $900k, Dahl $4M, Wells $4.5M, $10.8M) to address FA issues and can get a guy like Incognito for, say, 2 years $6-7M that is a steal to me. Even paying him what Dahl is making is a steal in that it is an upgrade for the same money. Conditions could be put on the deal for interactions with the press and more importantly social media. Resigning Barnes (fairly minimal increase) and this move would settle quite a bit on the line. Going into the draft with Long/Incognito/Barnes/..../Barksdale takes a lot of the pressue off, although I would still be drafting a T with that first pick.
Being able to match up physcially inside vs. out NFC West rivals is very important and one of the reasons I am not thrilled with the idea of going into the season with multiple rookies playing on the line. I am all for this move. Problem is, there are other teams with more money who have interior line issues. Put the conditions on the contract and make it 100% guarenteed and go after immediatly in FA, may be be the only chance.
Do it!!

iced

Hell - NO to incognito....

Maddeningly inconsistent - he'll make 1 good play then have like 4 bad ones

moklerman

Warner-phile
Hell - NO to incognito....

Maddeningly inconsistent - he'll make 1 good play then have like 4 bad ones
Consistency is a good point but I only really remember what he did as a Ram(on a very bad team with Spagnuolo and Co.). What's he been doing on the field since then? Seems like he was playing better in Miami.

iced

Consistency is a good point but I only really remember what he did as a Ram(on a very bad team with Spagnuolo and Co.). What's he been doing on the field since then? Seems like he was playing better in Miami.

And I remember him being the biggest liability on the line when he was here (And I'm talking about his Blocking, not his penalties).

I've seen enough from cognito

Sum1

Hall of Fame
At the time Vick was signed? He was out of football shape to be sure and nothing close to "elite". Not that anyone is saying that Incognito is elite either but he is pro-bowl caliber and not over the hill by any means.

But that isn't really the point. Saying the Rams shouldn't sign Incognito because of the media backlash it would cause is a false premise. Incognito didn't do what he was vilified for. If Vick, who DID do all those things could get an NFL job, then there's no reason that media perception should factor into signing Incognito. He is FAR less poisonous than Vick was at the time so I don't see how it would be an issue for the Rams or any other team.
I don't care about the Jonathon Martin crap at all. I am vilifying Incognito for his entire body of classlessness.

laramsorignial...those same things were said when Incognito was waived by the Rams 4 years ago. He still hasn't matured. In 2012 he essentially sexually assaulted a woman on a golf course. An employee of mine is friends with some ex-Rams and has told me stories about being out with Incognito in which he starts fights and mistreats people.

Rams need o-line help...not sure why Incognito is the only means in some eyes. So many other options that can be had. Believe it or not there has ALWAYS been better guards in the NFL during Incognitos career.

laramsoriginal

Starter
And I remember him being the biggest liability on the line when he was here (And I'm talking about his Blocking, not his penalties).

I've seen enough from cognito

You do realize he made the pro bowl in 2012? Richie is a better player now than he was with the rams. Besides, if the rams can fill the LG spot for cheap with Richie. ..I am all for it

Sum1

Hall of Fame
moklerman...I disagree that Vick was any more or less "poisonous". Both of these stories have gotten about the same coverage and Incognito has a reputation around the league, regardless of what the media view is.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I don't care about the Jonathon Martin crap at all. I am vilifying Incognito for his entire body of classlessness.

laramsorignial...those same things were said when Incognito was waived by the Rams 4 years ago. He still hasn't matured. In 2012 he essentially sexually assaulted a woman on a golf course. An employee of mine is friends with some ex-Rams and has told me stories about being out with Incognito in which he starts fights and mistreats people.

Rams need o-line help...not sure why Incognito is the only means in some eyes. So many other options that can be had. Believe it or not there has ALWAYS been better guards in the NFL during Incognitos career.

Because the rams don't have the cap space to sign anyone to fill the massive holes in the interior of the OL. If the rams can get a good OG for cheap money, lets do it

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Does nobody else remember him as a Ram? I don't remember him killing it as a G as much as drawing consistent, drive-killing penalties with his anger issues and getting benched in games...

iced

You do realize he made the pro bowl in 2012? Richie is a better player now than he was with the rams. Besides, if the rams can fill the LG spot for cheap with Richie. ..I am all for it

Does nothing for me... He's mostly been bad but had one good year...he's like Derek Anderson..He made the pro bowl in 2007 but no one's beating down his door now are they?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Because the rams don't have the cap space to sign anyone to fill the massive holes in the interior of the OL. If the rams can get a good OG for cheap money, lets do it
According to Kevin Demoff they have plenty of cap space. And there is also the draft, which teams tend to get their best long term talent from anyway.

moklerman

Warner-phile
moklerman...I disagree that Vick was any more or less "poisonous". Both of these stories have gotten about the same coverage and Incognito has a reputation around the league, regardless of what the media view is.
With what we know right now? I hope you're not serious.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Does nothing for me... He's mostly been bad but had one good year...he's like Derek Anderson..He made the pro bowl in 2007 but no one's beating down his door now are they?
I'll grant you that it might be a fluke but I don't know that that's the case. If he's progressively improving to get to the point where he's at a pro-bowl level then I think he'd be worth looking at. Derek Anderson's career is pretty much the reverse. He had a fluke year his first year starting and has subsequently earned the reputation he now has by playing pretty poorly for 6+ years.

iced

I'll grant you that it might be a fluke but I don't know that that's the case. If he's progressively improving to get to the point where he's at a pro-bowl level then I think he'd be worth looking at. Derek Anderson's career is pretty much the reverse. He had a fluke year his first year starting and has subsequently earned the reputation he now has by playing pretty poorly for 6+ years.

I think Manti Te'o's girlfriend is more realistic than incognito as a pro bowler

Sum1

Hall of Fame
With what we know right now? I hope you're not serious.

Let's go over Mr. Incognito's rap-sheet, shall we?

-In 2007 Incognito played and started at right guard for four games after being inactive for the first four weeks of the season. In early November, Incognito suffered a knee injury that forced him to miss the remainder of season. However, while rehabilitating, it was later revealed that he had been partying nightly.

-Incognito started all nine games in which he played for the Rams in 2009. On December 13, during the first half of a 47-7 loss to the Titans, Incognito drew two 15-yard penalties for headbutting Titans players. Head coach Steve Spanoulo benched him for the second half, and the two got into a heated confrontation on the sidelines. It was the second time Incognito had been benched for losing his composure; he'd been pulled from the season opener against Seattle for two personal fouls. However, the Titans incident was the last straw; the Rams waived him two days after the game. In 2013, former Rams general manager Billy Devaney told ESPN that Spagnuolo had given Incognito numerous chances to clean up his act, and had put him on notice that the Rams would cut ties with him if he couldn't control his anger.

-In four years with the Rams from 2006 to 2009, Incognito drew 38 penalties, including seven unnecessary roughness calls, more than any other player during that span.

-In 2009 Incognito was voted as the NFL's dirtiest player. Players claim Richie had gouged eyes, punched and kicked players, and made illegal tackles frequently.

-During the Dolphins' annual celebrity golf tournament a drunken Incognito harassed a female volunteer at the club. He rubbed her private parts with a golf club, pressed his private parts against her buttocks and dumped water in her face. The matter was referred to Dolphins security. Although former Dolphins wide receiver Nat Moore apologized to her, the volunteer filed a police report after Incognito didn't personally apologize; the matter was later settled after she signed a confidentiality agreement. This incident didn't come to public light until November 2013. (this is the older more mature Incognito evidently).

-On November 4, 2013, the Dolphins suspended Incognito indefinitely for alleged misconduct related to the treatment of teammate Jonathan Martin, who left the team a week earlier to receive help for emotional issues. Incognito's conduct was said to be detrimental to the team. (Granted, the texts do paint a picture of a friendship, I must say that nothing in any of Incognito's text painted a picture of a classy individual...but I guess you'd have to ask the hookers their thoughts)

-How about the fight he had before training camp? (again, this is the older more mature Incognito)
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...-miami-dolphins-was-altercation-training-camp

Let's not forget how he mocked RAMS FANS while he was playing for THE RAMS....

Or his tirade in a bar in which he frequently drops the N-bomb... http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_pfevh31r/

iced

Let's go over Mr. Incognito's rap-sheet, shall we?

-In 2007 Incognito played and started at right guard for four games after being inactive for the first four weeks of the season. In early November, Incognito suffered a knee injury that forced him to miss the remainder of season. However, while rehabilitating, it was later revealed that he had been partying nightly.

-Incognito started all nine games in which he played for the Rams in 2009. On December 13, during the first half of a 47-7 loss to the Titans, Incognito drew two 15-yard penalties for headbutting Titans players. Head coach Steve Spanoulo benched him for the second half, and the two got into a heated confrontation on the sidelines. It was the second time Incognito had been benched for losing his composure; he'd been pulled from the season opener against Seattle for two personal fouls. However, the Titans incident was the last straw; the Rams waived him two days after the game. In 2013, former Rams general manager Billy Devaney told ESPN that Spagnuolo had given Incognito numerous chances to clean up his act, and had put him on notice that the Rams would cut ties with him if he couldn't control his anger.

-In four years with the Rams from 2006 to 2009, Incognito drew 38 penalties, including seven unnecessary roughness calls, more than any other player during that span.

-In 2009 Incognito was voted as the NFL's dirtiest player. Players claim Richie had gouged eyes, punched and kicked players, and made illegal tackles frequently.

-During the Dolphins' annual celebrity golf tournament a drunken Incognito harassed a female volunteer at the club. He rubbed her private parts with a golf club, pressed his private parts against her buttocks and dumped water in her face. The matter was referred to Dolphins security. Although former Dolphins wide receiver Nat Moore apologized to her, the volunteer filed a police report after Incognito didn't personally apologize; the matter was later settled after she signed a confidentiality agreement. This incident didn't come to public light until November 2013. (this is the older more mature Incognito evidently).

-On November 4, 2013, the Dolphins suspended Incognito indefinitely for alleged misconduct related to the treatment of teammate Jonathan Martin, who left the team a week earlier to receive help for emotional issues. Incognito's conduct was said to be detrimental to the team. (Granted, the texts do paint a picture of a friendship, I must say that nothing in any of Incognito's text painted a picture of a classy individual...but I guess you'd have to ask the hookers their thoughts)

-How about the fight he had before training camp? (again, this is the older more mature Incognito)
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...-miami-dolphins-was-altercation-training-camp

Let's not forget how he mocked RAMS FANS while he was playing for THE RAMS....

Or his tirade in a bar in which he frequently drops the N-bomb... http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_pfevh31r/

Yet, Riley cooper gets more crap for saying the N word once..