What Did You Do Before the Internet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been feeling a little lost and old.

When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I was very aware of 60's culture and customs, but not because I really participated in it being a young child. I was interested about a lot of events and colloquialisms of the 60's and early 70's because it was fun for me to know. I get to talk to several talented medical technicians who "hook me" into the dialysis machines. I talk with them about their young lives and experiences.
I was talking to a couple of them and asked them if something was considered "bougie" to them, and then made sure that I was using the slang correctly.
I said, "so it's something like "yuppie."
"What's that mean?" they asked.
" You know, it's like calling an SUV being a yuppie station wagon or a yuppie shopping cart back when SUV's were something only the upper middle class could afford?" I replied. They thought I was messing with them. I then asked them about Valley Girl lingo.
"Gag me with a spoon; TOTALLY; Grody to the MAX!; I'm so SURE; Gag a maggot, grody to the max!; Gag me with a spoon;" Frank and Moon Unit Zappa performed "Valley Girl" to mock this lingo from the San Fernando Valley and I did the same in my life.

They never heard of it. If it's slang before the early 2000's, they don't know of it. If simple fun slang and knowledge is being lost, if only to mock, then what else is being lost? I better go get me a Gran Torino.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
1717106999948.png

I had one back in the day.
How appropriate is that?:laugh4:

Sold it to buy this in 1979.
1717107310598.png

As far as the OT, I turned 50 in '98 when the internet hit, so my life really didn't (hasn't) changed.
The architect's office I was at didn't even have computers. Amazing when you think about it.

As I'm still working, I am pretty dead in the water when it goes out during the day. Kinda scary actually.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 65748

I had one back in the day.
How appropriate is that?:laugh4:

Sold it to buy this in 1979.View attachment 65749

As far as the OT, I turned 50 in '98 when the internet hit, so my life really didn't (hasn't) changed.
The architect's office I was at didn't even have computers. Amazing when you think about it.

As I'm still working, I am pretty dead in the water when it goes out during the day. Kinda scary actually.
lol at the second car!
Did you start using a Radio Shack TRS-80 microprocessor for architectural drawings? Also, do you miss the polyester leisure suits? ha!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I have been feeling a little lost and old.

When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I was very aware of 60's culture and customs, but not because I really participated in it being a young child. I was interested about a lot of events and colloquialisms of the 60's and early 70's because it was fun for me to know. I get to talk to several talented medical technicians who "hook me" into the dialysis machines. I talk with them about their young lives and experiences.
I was talking to a couple of them and asked them if something was considered "bougie" to them, and then made sure that I was using the slang correctly.
I said, "so it's something like "yuppie."
"What's that mean?" they asked.
" You know, it's like calling an SUV being a yuppie station wagon or a yuppie shopping cart back when SUV's were something only the upper middle class could afford?" I replied. They thought I was messing with them. I then asked them about Valley Girl lingo.
"Gag me with a spoon; TOTALLY; Grody to the MAX!; I'm so SURE; Gag a maggot, grody to the max!; Gag me with a spoon;" Frank and Moon Unit Zappa performed "Valley Girl" to mock this lingo from the San Fernando Valley and I did the same in my life.

They never heard of it. If it's slang before the early 2000's, they don't know of it. If simple fun slang and knowledge is being lost, if only to mock, then what else is being lost? I better go get me a Gran Torino.

I believe that every new generation creates their own slang... and they do it for several reasons. The biggest reason is to create a kind of language that only they can truly understand. That way they can talk shit about us old guys and we wouldn't even know it. Slangs of the past get translated and become uncool and not as useful.

I'm trying to block the image from my mind of you using the phrase "gag me with a spoon". LOL. Please tell me that you never used that one in real life yourself!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe that every new generation creates their own slang... and they do it for several reasons. The biggest reason is to create a kind of language that only they can truly understand. That way they can talk shit about us old guys and we wouldn't even know it. Slangs of the past get translated and become uncool and not as useful.

I'm trying to block the image from my mind of you using the phrase "gag me with a spoon". LOL. Please tell me that you never used that one in real life yourself!
TOTALLY. I'm so sure!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've always loved Supras. They have always been ahead of their time when each new edition comes out. Very cool for sure.
Yeah. I have to admit that when my cousin got one many years ago, I was pretty fucking jealous. I really wanted one. And the new models are pretty rad (to pull some vernacular from my era) too.
1717170135169.png

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah. I have to admit that when my cousin got one many years ago, I was pretty fucking jealous. I really wanted one. And the new models are pretty rad (to pull some vernacular from my era) too.
View attachment 65752

Rad for sure Brudda! I speak that too lol.

My Grandfather got a brand new black duel turbo charged one when I was in HS (84 or 85). That thing was like a spaceship inside and it was faster than fuck. He let me drive it several times alone. Talk about a real treat... I felt like I was doing something illegal being able to drive that machine by myself.