What Bears fans are saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...n-white-sunday-storylines-20181206-story.html

The Kevin White-over-Todd Gurley pick, Mitch Trubisky’s beach-house roommate
Dan Wiederer

‘With the seventh pick in the 2015 NFL draft …’
On the night Ryan Pace made his first draft pick as an NFL general manager, he came bounding into the PNC Center at Halas Hall with a wide smile and uncontrollable excitement in his voice. The Bears had just selected West Virginia receiver Kevin White with the No. 7 pick, and Pace was confident he had hit a home run.

“I know I spoke about getting impact players in the draft, especially when you’re picking in the top 10, and that’s exactly what Kevin White is,” Pace said that night. “We couldn’t be more thrilled right now. This guy’s dynamic. He’s big, he’s strong, he’s ultracompetitive.”

The Bears were envisioning big things with a pairing of White and Alshon Jeffery at receiver.

Pace called White “a special athlete.” He praised his “fire and energy.” He called it “an easy pick.”

In the minutes after Pace picked White, the first round hummed onward. The Falcons grabbed edge rusher Vic Beasley at No. 8. The Giants used the ninth pick on offensive lineman Ereck Flowers. Then Rams general manager Les Snead scooped up running back Todd Gurley at No. 10, and that organization expressed its excitement in a different news conference in a different city.

“This is the running back of our future,” then-coach Jeff Fisher said on draft night.

That first night of the draft is always an explosion of hope, a hype-filled pinata rupturing across the NFL with teams and their fans believing in best-case scenarios. Who knew, at the time, how things would play out?

Forty-three months later, it’s clear the Bears swung and missed on White while the Rams got everything they wanted and more from Gurley.

When the Rams visit Soldier Field on Sunday, both top-10 picks from 2015 will be in attendance. White, though, might be a healthy scratch for the fifth time this year after injuries derailed his first three seasons. Gurley, meanwhile, remains the engine of a high-powered offense that has given the 11-1 Rams the league’s best record.

750x422

Paul Sancya / AP

White’s time in Chicago is drawing to an end, his rookie contract likely to expire in March. Gurley signed a four-year extension in July worth up to $57.5 million with $45 million guaranteed.

White has made 24 catches in his career. Gurley has 54 touchdowns and more than 6,000 yards from scrimmage and is in the conversation as a legitimate MVP candidate.

So why, you might ask, did the Bears not draft Gurley when they had the chance?

In retrospect, it was a miscalculation. At the time, the Bears believed White filled a bigger need and would become a highly productive NFL player. They also couldn’t predict the injury bug would keep biting the young receiver.

The notion that the Bears under Pace always use a “best player available” approach to drafting is technically correct. But it has to be pointed out that Pace and his staff don’t work off an itemized ranking list. Instead, they group players with similar draft grades in clouds, then match those clouds with team needs. That’s what happened in the White-over-Gurley decision in 2015 with both players grouped in the same cloud of candidates for the No. 7 pick.

The Bears believed they had bigger holes at receiver and, with Matt Forte still on the roster, less urgency to prioritize a running back.

Pace is also a loyal subscriber to the philosophy that teams can find a quality running back without requiring a high-end investment. After passing on Gurley, the Bears drafted Jeremy Langford in the fourth round that year. Pace took a running back on Day 3 in his next two drafts as well: Jordan Howard in the fifth in 2016 and Tarik Cohen in the fourth in 2017.

In fact, after four seasons on the job, running back is the only position group besides punter that Pace hasn’t addressed with either a first-round pick or a high-profile free-agent signing.

Still, what about Gurley’s medical concerns heading into the draft? Wasn’t that the biggest reason some draft experts expected him to last until the late teens or early 20s? How big of a deterrent were those issues in persuading the Bears to go in a different direction?

Not very big actually. Yes, Gurley was coming off a torn anterior cruciate ligament that ended his career at Georgia. But nothing in the Bears’ pre-draft research indicated he wouldn’t make a full recovery. It was simply a matter of when.

The Rams, you’ll recall, brought Gurley along slowly in his rookie season. He sat out the first two games, then took just six carries in his NFL debut in Week 3.

The bigger question for Pace and his staff at draft time was determining whether a full-strength Gurley would become the type of rare game-changing back who was worth a top-10 pick.

In that discussion, there was no clear-cut consensus in league circles heading into the draft. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock had Melvin Gordon as the No. 1 back in the class and Gurley at No. 2.

“Todd Gurley is a home-run hitter,” Mayock said then. “He’s a difference maker. That’s why there’s so much intrigue. When you talk about height, weight, speed, I mean this guy was on the U.S. under-19 hurdle team that went to France when he was 18 years old.

So at 222 pounds, you know he’s a world-class sprinter. And when you look at the big plays he made in the SEC and the high level he played at, it’s easy to see how teams would say, hey, that’s a difference maker for us.”

This was ESPN’s Todd McShay’s assessment of Gurley: “He’s just an absolute freight train as a runner. One cut and go. Lowers his shoulder and he’s like Marshawn Lynch. He just breaks through so many one-on-one tackles.

“And then what separates him from a lot of other big backs is his top-end speed. It’s an elite combination of size and speed. And then the second quality is his pass-catching ability, which no one seems to talk about.

But I was blown away by how comfortable and natural he is catching the football, adjusting to the ball, transitioning from catching the ball and getting up the field quickly. And if you give him some daylight, it’s over. It’s lights out. Once his momentum gets going, he has just rare top-end speed for his size.”

To be fair, similar praise was being heaped on White at that time. Most considered Amari Cooper to be the best receiver in the class, but White’s upside was intriguing. In some circles, he compared favorably to DeAndre Hopkins. His time of 4.35 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine was eye-popping. His size, speed and strength were undeniable.

Ultimately, the Bears felt confident White could make a big impact in their offense while filling a significant need. Alas, that didn’t happen.

Forty-three months later, they’ll get an up-close look at arguably the best player they passed on that night.

To be fair, Pace’s subsequent draft success — most notably with Eddie Goldman, Eddie Jackson and Cohen — has helped. But what if Gurley was also part of the equation? If you took Gurley away from the Rams and put him on the Bears, could an argument be made that the Bears would be the better team?

Connections
During his hiatus from Halas Hall last winter, Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky made his way to Newport Beach, Calif., for a beach-house getaway. Training with former NFL quarterback Ryan Lindley. Roommate: Rams quarterback Jared Goff.

Trubisky and Goff are represented by the same agency, Rep 1 Sports. Their connection was by design. In fact, leading up to the 2017 draft, Goff spent time tutoring Trubisky even as he came off his own rocky rookie season.

Last winter’s reunion gave the two quarterbacks a chance to spend much more extensive time together. For Trubisky, the relationship he built with Goff was beneficial.

“He’s an awesome dude,” Trubisky said. “We pushed each other.”

According to Trubisky, they watched film together, talked about offensive philosophies, shared the routes each likes to throw.

As a young quarterback going through the inevitable growing pains, Trubisky appreciated Goff’s perspective.

As a rookie in 2016, Goff threw more interceptions (seven) than touchdown passes (five) and had an unsettling 63.6 passer rating. The harshest critics were lobbing the “bust” label at the former No. 1 pick.

But then the Rams brought in coach Sean McVay and Goff took off. In 27 starts the last two seasons, he has completed 64.1 percent of his passes for 7,558 yards with 55 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

Trubisky listened to Goff detail what happened for him once he paired with a young, energetic offensive mind and was given better weapons to work with.

“Obviously you get more and more experienced,” Trubisky said. “You get more and more comfortable. You get different pieces around you. You start to own the offense really.

“At first you’re learning it and then you own it and hopefully you get to the point where you master it.”

Trubisky came to admire Goff’s approach, something he has tried to emulate.

“What I appreciate about Jared is that he has never really been shaken,” Trubisky said. “A lot of people wrote him off after that first year. But watching him and how he handled himself, he’s very composed. Never really rattled. He believed in himself and has had really two amazing years since then. So I know you just have to have confidence in yourself so your teammates will believe in you as well.”

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Chicago Bears: How Cooper Kupp injury has affected Rams offense
by Parker Hurley

The Chicago Bears face a tough matchup in the Los Angelas Rams on Sunday. However, the offense has been a bit easier to defend since the loss of Cooper Kupp.The Los Angelas Rams offense has seemingly been unstoppable. However, they are not currently running on full cylinders with the injury of Cooper Kupp.................

Want more go here:
https://beargoggleson.com/2018/12/06/cooper-kupp-injury-affected-rams-offense/

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The 6-3, 252-pound defender has been a quarterback’s worst nightmare, recording a team-high nine sacks. Mack added another sack last week against the Giants and recorded two quarterback hits.
Yeah.... no. That moniker would go to AD.
The number that jumps out the most from Goff, though, is his four game-winning drives, tied for the most in the league.
WHAT? No way. Goff couldn’t possibly lead game winning drives. I think he meant that McVay’s system allowed place holder Goff to be on the field for four game winning drives.

was this it?

7_skiing.jpg

Way too much fabric and chest hair.

RamWoodie

Legend
I was born and raised in Chicago. My oldest son has been talking much smack about this game.

He thinks the Bear defense can stop the Ram offense. I don't think so...and I have much family in Chicago, so I want bragging rights.

You old school Ram fans remember the many battles against the Vikes in really cold weather in Minnesota, which favored the Vikes. I dont see the weather causing the Rams any problems even though it's probably gonna be below freezing at game time. The high is 32 in Chicago Sunday, with a low of 23.

The cold weather gear today is much improved over the old days. I dont see a close game. I see the Rams by 10.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I dont see a close game. I see the Rams by 10.

Anything less than a Rams win by 21 points is considered a close game by many. I'm guessing some get upset when the Rams don't cover the spread. Then there's the fantasy types who foam at the mouth when Gurley doesn't score a TD when it's right in front of him.

Rams@Bears will be "put up or shut up" night for both teams and their fans.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/week-14-preview-analysis-rams-bears-eagles-cowboys-ravens-chiefs

Andy Benoit

RAMS AT BEARS | 8:20 PM, NBC

If these teams play like they did last week, Chicago will win—especially on the “Rams O vs. Bears D” side of the matchup (which, by the way, might be the NFL’s best offense against the NFL’s best defense). Yes, the Rams won at Detroit last week, but it was a choppy performance, with many of their designer downfield shot plays coming up short.

The Bears lost at the Giants … and were probably sick watching the film and seeing how dominant they were at times in that game. Chicago’s defensive foundation is two-deep matchup zone coverage, which happens to be what the Lions employed when stymieing so many of L.A.’s deep shots. Rams blockers also had some uneven snaps against Detroit’s underwhelming defensive line. “Uneven” snaps against Chicago’s D-line will result in disaster.

jjab360

Legend
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/week-14-preview-analysis-rams-bears-eagles-cowboys-ravens-chiefs

Andy Benoit

RAMS AT BEARS | 8:20 PM, NBC

If these teams play like they did last week, Chicago will win—especially on the “Rams O vs. Bears D” side of the matchup (which, by the way, might be the NFL’s best offense against the NFL’s best defense). Yes, the Rams won at Detroit last week, but it was a choppy performance, with many of their designer downfield shot plays coming up short.

The Bears lost at the Giants … and were probably sick watching the film and seeing how dominant they were at times in that game. Chicago’s defensive foundation is two-deep matchup zone coverage, which happens to be what the Lions employed when stymieing so many of L.A.’s deep shots. Rams blockers also had some uneven snaps against Detroit’s underwhelming defensive line. “Uneven” snaps against Chicago’s D-line will result in disaster.
So... if the Rams play like they did last week when they won by two scores... and the Bears play like they did last week when they lost to one of the worst teams in the league... then the Bears will win? Huh?

Fact is the Bears haven't won this season when allowing 23 or more points. The Rams haven't scored less than 23 points all season long. A Rams loss would be nothing less than a massive unlikely upset. Sorry Bears fans...

dang

Legend
IF the Rams offense lays their biggest egg of the season and IF Trubisky has a really good game and the Bears offense scores more than 24 points, THEN the Bears could very well win this game. But IF/IF/IF isn't a very strong position. Lets play the game and see IF...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So... if the Rams play like they did last week when they won by two scores... and the Bears play like they did last week when they lost to one of the worst teams in the league... then the Bears will win? Huh?

Fact is the Bears haven't won this season when allowing 23 or more points. The Rams haven't scored less than 23 points all season long. A Rams loss would be nothing less than a massive unlikely upset. Sorry Bears fans...

Fucking dopey analysts.

The rams put up 30 points, the bears gave up 30 points to the giants. But the bears d was soooooo dominant and the rams offense was so poor.

Fucking clown.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Trubisky is off the injury report so the rams are gonna get the bears best shot this week.

I hope they're ready to play.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Trubisky isn't 100%. At some point in the game, Mitch is going to try and use his legs and is going to get hammered, bringing in Chase. AD is going to get his 2 1/2 sacks late in the game.

Grimson

UDFA
I'm a Rams fan living out here in Chicago and its nearly unbearable (no pun intended). You guys ever see the SNL skit "The Super Fans"? That's exactly how the mouthbreathing Bears fan meatballs are out here.

I've seen some posts here referring to ChiCitySports.com (CCS) and it's just comical. I've been a member there for 8 years and the stupidity of the average poster still astounds me today. It got so bad that I completely quit posting in the Bears forum.

There was a poster with the username Exhibit_A that said he wished Robbie Gould was in front of him so he could shoot him in the face after a missed FG. JimJohnson is notorious for supporting domestic violence. Multiple posters have been stalked IRL from other members. Overall, a general cesspool of the mentally challenged.

I am hoping this place is much better! Go Rams!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW's Papa Bear George Halas when he watched highlights put together by NFL Films by Ed and Steve Sabol and it showed Bear fans, Halas went nuts and told them not to show Chicago fans, he told him, they did not look good....This is a true story anytime NFL Films showed highlights in the 60's & 70's of Bear games, they used fans in New York, Los Angeles and Washington, true story, Halas did not want their fans in the highlights and remember back then you could do that because team paraphernalia was not available.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1071188858912604161

I'm calling 2 picks for EJ lezzzgggo BEAR DOWN CHITOWN
----------
https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Board/103053/Contents/Rams-vs-Bears-Week-14-IGT-125951365/

Rams vs. Bears Week 14 IGT

View: https://twitter.com/DustinFox37/status/1070455127323086848/video/1

-------------

View: https://twitter.com/JesseWeiler/status/1070349900293070849/video/1

-------------
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ocking-aaron-donald-biggs-20181205-story.html

How will the Bears protect Mitch Trubisky from QB menace Aaron Donald of the Rams?
Brad Biggs

James Daniels was sitting at his locker Wednesday afternoon before practice intently studying video of the Rams on his tablet when the questions began: How is he going to protect Mitch Trubisky from menacing Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald?

The Bears rookie left guard figures to get most of the work blocking Donald on Sunday night when the Rams come to Soldier Field with an NFL-best 11-1 record. With Trubisky set to return after missing the last two games with a right shoulder injury, the offensive line needs to keep the quarterback upright.

Donald has been on such a tear, not only is he the leading candidate to win NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors for the second straight season, something accomplished only twice previously by J.J. Watt (2014-15) and Lawrence Taylor (1981-82), he could be a legitimate MVP candidate if Drew Brees and Patrick Mahomes split votes for a quarterback. No defensive player has won MVP honors since Taylor in 1986.

Donald leads the NFL with 16½ sacks, four more than the next defender, and has 12½ in the last six games. He spent most of last Sunday’s game at Ford Field in the Lions backfield, abusing rookie left guard Frank Ragnow, a first-round draft pick. Donald had two sacks, a third wiped out by a penalty, two additional tackles for a loss and a forced fumble that led to the decisive touchdown in a close game that turned into a blowout.

“He’s a player that when you turn on the tape, and you go through with your guys each week who the game-changers are, you put like three circles around him,” coach Matt Nagy said. “Because he’s a game-changer times three.”

750x422

Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP

It’s sometimes difficult to double-team Donald because he often attacks the outside shoulder of the guard. Even when he is double-teamed, he still creates train wrecks in the backfield. He whipped Lions right guard Kenny Wiggins and then center Graham Glasgow on his way to sacking and stripping Matthew Stafford on one play last week.

“I’m getting sleep, yeah,” Daniels said. “Trust your technique and you will be fine.”

According to STATS, Daniels, a second-round pick from Iowa, who has started six games and rotated in another three, has not allowed a sack this season. Right guard Bryan Witzmann, who has started the last four games, has allowed two sacks.

While edge rushers can be chipped by running backs and tight ends, you can’t get such help on interior pass rushers. If Donald starts at the outside shoulder of Daniels or Witzmann, it’s hard for center Cody Whitehair to help, and he’ll likely look to the other side where familiar Bears foe Ndamukong Suh will be.

Donald and Suh will twist and stunt from time to time, so the interior linemen will have to be ready for that because Donald is tremendously powerful and can put a lineman on his heels and quickly throw him to the ground. Against the 49ers, Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips even lined Donald up at defensive end. He defeated an offensive tackle and tight end on one play, a 280-pound game-plan wrecker coming off the edge.

Donald is a monster because he’s the quickest player off the ball in a league in which there are fantastic pass rushers 40 pounds lighter, and he can beat offensive linemen with his hands. He has developed as a technician at the point of attack where he can knock a lineman’s hands down and bull-rush him back into the quarterback or swim over the lineman.

Even when a lineman gets a good chuck on Donald to start a play, he can finish with his arms wrapped around the quarterback because he counters better than anyone on the interior.

Quarterbacks can step up into the pocket to buy the split-second needed to release a pass when sensing edge pressure, but there’s no stepping up against Donald, which means we might see a lot of the agile Trubisky fleeing the pocket.

Witzmann struggled against the Giants and he has been uneven since replacing Kyle Long, who started the only previous time the Bears faced Donald — in 2015, a 37-13 victory for the Bears on a day when Donald had 1½ sacks. Witzmann will be put in positions to block Donald too.

Right tackle Bobby Massie said Phillips tries to create situations where his linemen are getting one-on-one blocks across the board by at least occupying the attention of each lineman. Whitehair can help if he’s uncovered, but the Rams will also get in five-man fronts, which ensures solo blocks across the board.

“It’s not the first time we have played a good defense,” Massie said. “Everybody is going to have to be on their stuff. You just have to get your hands on Donald. I’m not taking nothing away from him, but he’s not God. He’s been blocked before. He can be blocked. He’s a damn good player. He’s an animal, and from the three-technique? He’s a dog. You’ve just got to get your hands on him and block him. At the end of the day, that’s what needs to happen.”

Nagy was asked if he could provide help to Witzmann (and presumably Daniels) to keep Donald out of Trubisky’s lap.

“Well … I’m going to just keep that to me,” Nagy said, chuckling. “It’s a good question, though.”
--------------
I thought Donald was too small to transition to the NFL. Boy was I wrong about that.
------------

View: https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1071063182733656064/video/1

----------
This is going to be a tough football game for the Bears. It's a bad matchup for them. But Sunday night at home feeling like they cough up another game they shouldn't have in New York will hopefully have them fire up and pull off a upset.
-----------
My prediction:

Bears - 31
Rams - 20
----------
ON first take there saying to not bring Mitch back to fast and then there is one guest louis riddick saying they will bring him back and if they do the bears will win this game.
---------
Louis Riddick has been big on the Bears all season long. Has praised Mitch and the team a lot more than most national guys.
---------
Hard to predict this one. We have a great defense (Bears) vs a great offense (Rams), and an average defense (Rams) vs an average offense (Bears). Some people are seeing the weather as a factor but 30 degrees with no precip isn't that bad, especially if you're running around. Will Mitch be rusty after not playing for a couple games? I think his judgment will be fine but he may have some accuracy problems.

If forced to pick I go with the Rams. I see the big mismatch as the Rams DL against the Bears OL. The Bears DL is great with Hicks and Mack, but the Rams OL is very solid.

It's a cliche but whoever wins the turnover battle probably wins.
-----------
When an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object, one or the other will give way. I predict that one of two things happens. Either:

1. The Bears defense shocks the world by stopping the NFL's top offense.

2. They can't stop the Rams offense, and it's a long painful game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
WHAT? No way. Goff couldn’t possibly lead game winning drives. I think he meant that McVay’s system allowed place holder Goff to be on the field for four game winning drives.

I get a kick out of those who complain Goff hasn't had enough game winning drives. For one, it seems like he actually has come through in the clutch. For another, he's been pretty good where he's had to protect leads rather than come from behind.

If a team had to come from behind the final minutes of every game I doubt anyone would be better than 8-8. Most times a quarterback has been good enough to build a lead and hold onto it. Relying on come from behind wins with two minutes makes for good drama. But I'd rather he be good for 58 minutes that he's handing off at that time.

I'm a Rams fan living out here in Chicago and its nearly unbearable (no pun intended). You guys ever see the SNL skit "The Super Fans"? That's exactly how the mouthbreathing Bears fan meatballs are out here.

I've seen some posts here referring to ChiCitySports.com (CCS) and it's just comical. I've been a member there for 8 years and the stupidity of the average poster still astounds me today. It got so bad that I completely quit posting in the Bears forum.

There was a poster with the username Exhibit_A that said he wished Robbie Gould was in front of him so he could shoot him in the face after a missed FG. JimJohnson is notorious for supporting domestic violence. Multiple posters have been stalked IRL from other members. Overall, a general cesspool of the mentally challenged.

I am hoping this place is much better! Go Rams!
I have been reading some of that ChiChity board this week and man those fans are something else! It's like the meatball capital of the world.

-Fish N Chips

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

2. They can't stop the Rams offense, and it's a long painful game.

The Ram defense forces two turnovers that leads to 14 points...After this game, everybody will be talking about how the Ram defense is different with Talib coming back.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
When an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object, one or the other will give way. I predict that one of two things happens. Either:

2. They can't stop the Rams offense, and it's a long painful gam
e.

I predict one of 2 things will happen...The Rams will win, but if they don't, the bears will win...
Geez, go out on a limb much ???..

I actually found this thread because I wanted to see what Rams fans were thinking about this game.

I'm a Bears fan, and I'm a huge fan of what the Rams have done and I actually picked the Rams to go 19-0 this season.

Personally, I think the Bears and Rams are close until halftime (maybe a score lead either way), but I think the Rams come out in the second half and put it away and win by at least 14.

Bears are probably making the playoffs, but when/if they're bounced I'm rooting for the Rams.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I actually found this thread because I wanted to see what Rams fans were thinking about this game.

I'm a Bears fan, and I'm a huge fan of what the Rams have done and I actually picked the Rams to go 19-0 this season.

Personally, I think the Bears and Rams are close until halftime (maybe a score lead either way), but I think the Rams come out in the second half and put it away and win by at least 14.

Bears are probably making the playoffs, but when/if they're bounced I'm rooting for the Rams.

Thanks for joining us. Interested in reading some more comments about your team.