Watched 3 games of Greg Robinson: one interesting thing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The more I watch of Robinson's limited pass blocking, the less I'm concerned. Rarely do you see him lose control. His feet are very good and he's just a wall. Even when speed rushers get around the edge he recovers quickly and still has the strength to keep the QB clean. No power rusher is going to be able to power through him.

He's a monster.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dave Te said "He might not be a mauler in the Walter Jones mold, but he has good explosion and drive off the ball to control and sustain his block"

Dave is wrong, he is stronger and better run blocker than W Jones was in college and will be much better in the pros drive blocking that WJ was. Though JOnes was the best drive blocker I ever saw against 280 pound men, Greg is better, and against 320+ men.

So, is Dave right? Walter Jones is a better mauler.....I think not....let me know, I am interested.
Yes, Dave Te is awesome...but not perfect;)

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Dave Te said "He might not be a mauler in the Walter Jones mold, but he has good explosion and drive off the ball to control and sustain his block"

Dave is wrong, he is stronger and better run blocker than W Jones was in college and will be much better in the pros drive blocking that WJ was. Though JOnes was the best drive blocker I ever saw against 280 pound men, Greg is better, and against 320+ men.

So, is Dave right? Walter Jones is a better mauler.....I think not....let me know, I am interested.
Yes, Dave Te is awesome...but not perfect;)

I think you have pretty lofty expectations. ;) I do think Robinson is more aggressive than Jones.

I think Willie Roaf is a better comp for Greg Robinson personally. Add on another 20 pounds to that frame and you're looking at a grizzly bear.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don't see this either. He blows people off the LOS immediately and works into the second level better than any OT I can remember.

Keep in mind that some of these 'delays' are by design in Gus Malzahn's scheme.

Edit: Nevermind. It seems like you understand the schemed 'delays.'
I agree....it is scheme somehow. A "Greg-Scheme".

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I also laugh when people hear Robinson talk and assume he's an idiot. He may not be building nuclear reactors, but he had no problems learning what is arguably one of the most complicated blocking schemes in college football.

He should be a sponge with Boudreau.

We're going to have a heck of a player on our hands.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think you have pretty lofty expectations. ;) I do think Robinson is more aggressive than Jones.

I think Willie Roaf is a better comp for Greg Robinson personally. Add on another 20 pounds to that frame and you're looking at a grizzly bear.
Willie Roaf was not pushing 270 pound Wistrom off the ball very far in the 2000 playoff game....I just saw it....no, no, Greg is MUCH stronger...Roaf is HOF, but Greg is a beast with healthier knees and better bend.

I do know Wistrom is a great 'leverage' player, but that wouldn't work with Greg--this guy is much, much stronger.

Sorry, I have too much film on this guy. I haven't seen a guy like this since 1973, maybe except Munoz, maybe Gene Upshaw...but those guys weren't walking guys off the ball every snap. I know the pros is different, but he was crushing DT's, not just DE who weigh 260-275.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Willie Roaf was one of the most powerful drive blockers in NFL history. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm guessing you don't know who Dave-Te Thomas is.

How about a scout that provides scouting reports to teams for $50,000 a pop? Because that's Dave-Te Thomas, the writer of this particular scouting report. He also compiles the official draft guide that's distributed to every NFL team.

Some scouts fail. The best ones parlay their skills into a job that pays them much more than what they get paid to work for an individual team. Dave-Te Thomas is one of those guys. Dan Shonka is another one.

Why get paid by one team for your work when you can get paid by 32?

I have read some of his stuff and I don't agree with all of it. There aren't too many guys out there that I agree with all of the time.