Wagoner Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

**First let me say how stupid most of the people who ASK the questions are. I'm talking dumber than snake shit.

Wagoner Highlights
—I think they like what Barksdale did in 2013 but still view that as a position that could be upgraded then you’d have Barksdale as a really strong swing tackle. If indeed he hangs on to the job in 2014, it would be a big year for him in determining whether he’s a starter long term or not. Regardless, he did a solid job in 2013 and Paul Boudreau should be commended for his work with him and the rest of the line.

—Well, I think Jenkins and Johnson are actually better suited to playing more press man than zone but I also don’t think that necessarily means the secondary is equipped to do it. As you reference, a team like Seattle can do so much of it because it has a safety in Earl Thomas who can cover up any miscues on the back end. The Rams don’t have that. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the Rams use some early picks on another top corner and/or a rangy safety. My early read is that the draft offers more corners worthy of going early than safeties but we’ll see how it all plays out.

—Players on injured reserve still count against the salary cap so at any given time, you can have more than 53 counting against the cap if you have players on injured reserve. Now, more often than not, the player replacing the injured guy is going to cost league minimum but it still means you have to have some flexibility as you go through the year.

—Starter at Center in ’14? I believe the Rams would like it to be Barrett Jones but there’s a lot that must take place between now and then for that to happen.

—Any chance the Rams cut ties with Bradford and look at a QB at 2? No

—Trade Chris Long? Trading Long would be silly for a number of reasons. I realize his sack numbers were down a little this year but he was still one of the most disruptive pass rushers in the league, just like he has been for the past four years or so. That doesn’t even factor in the fact that trading him would be of no help financially.

—Kevin Demoff does a great job managing the cap for the Rams and he is always planning multiple years in advance. I believe he’s got the team well positioned to handle the cap in the coming years.

—Finnegan is due $6 million in base salary, $3 million in roster bonus and $1 million in signing bonus (from the $5 million signing bonus spread out over his contract) next year. That brings his cap number to $10 million for 2014. If the Rams chose to release Finnegan outright, they’d only be on the hook for the remainder of the signing bonus in terms of accelerated cap space, so they’d realize a net savings of $7 million next year so long as any move was made before the roster bonus is due.

—The Rams seem to believe they can do what they need to do without touching Bradford’s contract. It’s highly unlikely that anything changes with Bradford this offseason aside from him rehabbing his knee in anticipation of returning as the starter in 2014.

—I’m not sure there’s a safety worth that 13th pick in this draft. Some good players but none that really really jump off the page to me. I really enjoy watching Florida State CB/S LaMarcus Joyner and thing he’d be a great fit in a Honey Badger type of role as a safety and slot corner but as far as rangy free safety types, I think you can find a guy later than 13th in the draft. That’s just my initial impression. I’ll have more after the combine.

—Pead? Many of his issues have been self-inflicted. Remember, he was suspended for a game for violation of the league’s policy on substance abuse. A lot of succeeding in the NFL is about being a professional every day.

—I do think a top OT would and should be a priority for the Rams. Whether they draft one and he plays RT or guard or wherever in year one, setting themselves up for the future makes a lot of sense. For what it’s worth, I like Robinson’s upside more than any OL in the draft and think if he had to play guard in year one, he’d be absolutely lights out at that spot.

—By no means was I saying the Rams should ignore free agency. There’s nothing wrong with finding a starter or two there and paying mid level type of money. Guys like Kendall Langford are worthwhile moves. The point was that they should be out of the business of handing over huge contracts to free agents as they get closer to the time where they have to re-sign their own guys. There aren’t many teams that have handed out huge contracts that have worked out for the long term. Finding mid level and young guys with upside to supplement the roster is the way to go. Nothing wrong with the Rams doing what they did the past two years, they needed to do that to be competitive but if they believe in the young guys they have as much as they say they do, there’s no need to hand out large chunks of guaranteed money to more free agents who may or may not work out.

—Add A Vet WR? I strongly doubt it. The Rams aren’t going to take reps away from any of their young wideouts unless it’s a guy they believe can be a top receiver. A vet minimum guy doesn’t bring that.

—If Saffold leaves, I think it would be pretty wise for the Rams to invest at guard. Again, not breaking the bank but a solid mid level contract similar to the one Harvey Dahl got a few years ago would make sense for a veteran, especially on the interior of the line. If they let Wells and Dahl go, they’ll be awfully young between the tackles.

—I think ultimately Saffold will get a better offer to go elsewhere and likely will. The Rams likely will make a push to keep him and should but as I mentioned earlier, the free agent market is going to thin out with extensions and tags and Saffold’s value is only going to rise.

—Is there a scenario that makes sense in which the Rams would draft Johnny Football and cut Bradford to save money for other defensive studs who will be coming off their rookie contracts soon? Nope

—I think the Rams will add another corner one way or another. I think there’s a chance Finnegan stays but almost none that he stays under the same cap number for next year.

—Dunbar? Don’t think he’s too expensive. He did have a down year after coming back from the suspension. I think he still has something to offer and bringing him back would make sense, especially with Williams in place. But I’m a bit skeptical that it happens.

—I think the Rams like McGee’s potential. He has speed that can’t be taught. But it was tough sledding for him the time he got on the field for defense. He’s a bit raw but potential is there. I don’t think Rams would be comfortable with him as the nickel entering the season, at least not without competition first. I wouldn’t be.

Read All Chat Highlights

Ramequin

UDFA
Name
Anthony
I didn't see a lot of bad questions in there. Which ones are you referring to?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
—Any chance the Rams cut ties with Bradford and look at a QB at 2? No
How many times do people need to have this answered? No!

—The Rams seem to believe they can do what they need to do without touching Bradford’s contract. It’s highly unlikely that anything changes with Bradford this offseason aside from him rehabbing his knee in anticipation of returning as the starter in 2014.
Asked and answered many times by Snisher

—Is there a scenario that makes sense in which the Rams would draft Johnny Football and cut Bradford to save money for other defensive studs who will be coming off their rookie contracts soon? Nope
Asked and answered many times by Snisher

Ramequin

UDFA
Name
Anthony
Joshua (Houston)
If Sam Bradford gets injured in the first half of next season like he did last season, do you think the Rams should seriously consider moving on from him?

Nick Wagoner (2:33 PM)
Yes.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I didn't see a lot of bad questions in there. Which ones are you referring to?
I can't see the questions at all, but I will say this the stupidest question is the one not asked.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Joshua (Houston)
If Sam Bradford gets injured in the first half of next season like he did last season, do you think the Rams should seriously consider moving on from him?

Nick Wagoner (2:33 PM)
Yes.

Obviously at some point you need your #1 to be on the field and sometimes a guy is just hexed that way. But Sam is a stud. That is no different than what would happen if Quinn started missing a large amount of games over 3 seasons...its life actually.

I'm telling you ALL this right now though, there has been a ton of this nonsense talk about 50 different ways for the Rams to get rid of Sam in the old "what if this happened" stitch but when he starts and finishes a great season next year I don't want to hear one F'n fan ANYWHERE say he should give this team a home town discount because the % of TRUE fans who has had this guys back through thick and thin would fit on a postage stamp!

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
If Jake Long gets hurt in the first half of next season. If Finny gets hurt. If Saffold gets hurt (if he's even a Ram) if Wells gets hurt, if Dahl (if they are Rams) should Rams "seriously consider moving on from them".

Seriously consider? Should the 49ers do the same for Staley or Iuapatu? of whatever his name is? If Peyton Manning gets injured in the first half of next season (call it a neck injury) should the Broncos seriously consider it's close to the end? If RG3 injures his knee in the first half of next season should the Redskins seriously conisder moving on? If Tony Romo hurts his back in the first half of next season should Dallas seriously consider moving on from him? If Kurt Warner continues to get hurt (we are in time machine to 2002) should Rams seriously consider Marc Bulger who was 6-1 as a starter?

Ramequin

UDFA
Name
Anthony
I concur, with this caveat. If any player gets injured "repeatedly" they'll consider moving on from him. I'm sure that's what you meant though. That said, I haven't heard any chatter about the Rams moving on from Saffold, who hasn't played a full season since his rookie year. His career runs parallel to Bradford's obviously, but there's not that same sense of urgency by the Rams for Saffold to prove his durability. That's because a QB's durability is intrinsic to the team's success. You can work around a guy like Saffold, even though he's about the most versatile lineman the Rams have ever had. If Bradford gets another one of these fluke injuries, the Rams are screwed -- unless they put a higher priority on a contingency plan this year. What are the odds the Rams will again have the luxury of a free #2 overall? IMHO, they should treat it like found money and blow it on candy. Candy being a luxury pick like a top QB prospect. What's the harm really?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If Jake Long gets hurt in the first half of next season. If Finny gets hurt. If Saffold gets hurt (if he's even a Ram) if Wells gets hurt, if Dahl (if they are Rams) should Rams "seriously consider moving on from them".

Seriously consider? Should the 49ers do the same for Staley or Iuapatu? of whatever his name is? If Peyton Manning gets injured in the first half of next season (call it a neck injury) should the Broncos seriously consider it's close to the end? If RG3 injures his knee in the first half of next season should the Redskins seriously conisder moving on? If Tony Romo hurts his back in the first half of next season should Dallas seriously consider moving on from him? If Kurt Warner continues to get hurt (we are in time machine to 2002) should Rams seriously consider Marc Bulger who was 6-1 as a starter?

Yes,all counts,why do you ask ?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
At first I was like

y4LghyG.jpg

But then I was like

tumblr_m8v8p0FeRl1r2gme7o1_500.png

Ramequin

UDFA
Name
Anthony
Let's not worry about RBs in the candy analogy. While they do have the ability to take over a game, the Rams aren't necessarily hurting there because of the current depth, so yes it would be a waste. I understand there's some concern about the Rams losing Saffold, but that's the point. Despite his injury history, there's no perception by the media that the Rams could move on from him because of it, and he's been hurt 3 straight years, not one on, one off, one on, one off. I think we're on the same page there.

Here's where my thinking is. The Rams could use a top pick on a QB and still trade down to do it, but the laws of diminishing return begin to increase the further they go away from the top prospects - three of which could conceivably go in the top 5-7 picks. There's always the chance that they could land a great one in the 2nd or 3rd round, but why decrease your odds when you're dealing with what is essentially a free pick. You could "pretend" that the Redskins still owned that pick, but called the Rams on draft day and said, "Here, take our pick - we don't want it" if it clarifies my thought process. Using that bonus pick on a top prospect like Bridgewater or Manziel, for instance, would give the Rams premium depth at the most important position on the field, and it would be a value relative to the cap. If Bradford never got hurt again, the laws of diminishing return don't apply to Bridgewater or Bridgewater. They could sit for 3 years and play in strictly mop-up duty and it would only serve to benefit the Rams down the road, because there's always a team who's hungry for a QB. Get your #1 overall back - like an investment. Conversely, if they're needed in an emergency due to injury to Bradford, then you're not reduced to watching a journeyman trying to resurrect his already lost career at the expense of your team's success. Win-win.