Wades 3-4 probably not a huge adjustment....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Let's hope this is accurate! Up until now, I've yet to hear anyone say.. "Holy Crap!!..this is gonna be a bitch!" If all indicators are correct, it could be very mild growing pains at worst.

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...4-scheme-may-not-be-a-big-adjustment-for-rams

Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme might not be a big adjustment for Rams
4:00 AM PT
  • i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- Wade Phillips wore his Super Bowl ring as he made the rounds in Houston last week. As he did interviews, Phillips explained that the Denver Broncos, his former team, were defending champions right up until the end of Super Bowl LI. And though their one-year reign ended with the Patriots, who beat the Falcons by orchestrating the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history, Phillips is bringing a championship pedigree with him to the West Coast, as the Los Angeles Rams' new defensive coordinator.

Phillips, 69, was the first hire made by 31-year-old rookie head coach Sean McVay. Phillips has nine seasons as a full-time head coach and was a defensive coordinator for 25 other seasons. Since joining the NFL in 1976, Phillips has been part of 20 top-10 defenses and coached 30 Pro Bowlers, five of whom are in the Hall of Fame. And in each of his last six stops as a defensive coordinator, Phillips has overseen drastic improvement. When he took over the Broncos the first time, they went from 27th to fourth in DVOA in one season. The Bills went 19th to 10th; the Falcons: 26th to 12th; Chargers, 30th to 13th; and Texans: 31st to sixth.

In his second stint with the Broncos, they went from fourth to first.

Phillips' Broncos were the NFL's best defense each of the last two seasons, one of which ended in that Super Bowl 50 title. Though perhaps not as dynamic and deep, Phillips inherits another solid defense with the Rams, led by arguably the game's best interior lineman in Aaron Donald. Phillips will convert the unit from a 4-3 to a 3-4, but it might not be all that different.

We'll isolate three key traits from Phillips' defense in Denver in 2015 to '16. You can find the same for McVay's offense with the Washington Redskins in this post.

A 3-4 that acts like a 4-3

A lot has been made about the Rams going from four down linemen to three under Phillips, but Phillips himself has stressed that "those who can rush are going to rush."

Under Phillips these last two years, the Broncos used three pass-rushers on only 41 offensive snaps, lower than all but four teams during that time. ESPN Stats & Info has the Broncos ranking fourth in the amount of times they utilized five pass-rushers during that stretch, slightly more than Gregg Williams' defense with the Rams. But ESPN Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold, who charts every defensive play, will tell you that Phillips used four pass-rushers the vast majority of the time, continually varying which linebacker he used to get to the quarterback.

For the Rams, it seems like that extra rusher will mainly be Robert Quinn, a two-time Pro Bowler who will probably transition from defensive end to outside linebacker. In all likelihood, Quinn will still spend most of his time trying to get around the edge to get to the quarterback. And nothing will change for Donald; he will remain a three-technique, which means he will continue to line up on the outside shoulder of the opposing guard.

Below are a couple of looks at how Phillips lined his defense up early in Week 4 against the Buccaneers this past season. The first is a first-down situation early in the game, where you'll notice a three-technique down lineman and two outside linebackers at the line of scrimmage ready to rush (or, because it eventually became a run to the outside, contain the outside).

Michael Brockers and William Hayes, respectively. On the very next play, 2nd-and-9, Bucs quarterback Jameis Winston lined up in the shotgun and Phillips used one of his linebackers in coverage. He still had a rushing linebacker, a three-technique and two other down linemen, essentially serving the purpose of a 4-3.

Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr. on the outside -- he did.

The Broncos were one of only three teams -- along with the Texans and Vikings -- to allow just one regular-season game of 300 or more passing yards over the last two seasons. They ranked first in DVOA against the pass in each of those seasons. The Rams, who mainly used five defensive backs, slipped to 20th in 2016. Their top three cornerbacks outside of Trumaine Johnson, a pending free agent, are no taller than 5-foot-10.

Phillips might have to play a lot more zone in L.A.

Adjusting to the opponent

The Broncos won it all last year largely because of the way Phillips adjusted. It's evident in the way he navigated the last two games, the AFC Championship against the Patriots and the Super Bowl against the Panthers.

The Broncos couldn't have faced two more different offenses.

The Patriots focused mostly on Tom Brady getting rid of the football quickly, using an assortment of short to intermediate routes that gained chunk yardage. The Panthers featured a dynamic running game -- with running back Jonathan Stewart and quarterback Cam Newton -- and also liked to throw the ball downfield, often using max protection to give Newton enough time in the pocket.

Against the Patriots, Phillips disguised pass rushes without being so aggressive that his defensive backs were too often in space. On Cover-2 looks, his safeties were aggressive attacking short throws, which allowed them to sustain the Patriots' assortment of pick plays, as pointed out by Cian Fahey in this Football Outsiders post. Below is an example of a second-down stop on a short route that eventually led to a punt, with the safety's pursuit highlighted ...

as noted by Andy Benoit of MMQB.com. His biggest decision was what to do with his extra defender, who would be on either a tight end or a fullback who would be used frequently to help an inadequate offensive line. Phillips decided to blitz that extra defender, putting constant pressure on Newton and allowing some of his best pass rushers -- Von Miller, for example -- to go up against man-to-man coverage.

The Broncos hit Newton 13 times in that game, and below is a look at just how many pass-rushers they used at times ...

Psycho_X

Legend
There was no one I would have been more excited to see come here than Wade Phillips. I thought Greg Williams did a good job and just had no help on the other side of the ball and was the only part I didn't like about the exiting of the old regime. But Wade absolutely destroys Williams in coaching. This defense will take a step up and it'll be glorious to watch. Just need to score some points.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah, we didn't take a step back with that hire. Probably even upgraded. The best possible scenario there. But we need to keep the defensive talent intact. Unless there are capable replacements in free agency, they really need to keep Tru J and T Mac. Do that and I think we have a quality defense to keep us in games while the offense learns to get up to speed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It will take some getting use to, a 3-4 D, But I have no choice! I still prefer a 4-3! But it did work OK When the Rams did it with Kevin Greene on the Team!(y);):D

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
It will take some getting use to, a 3-4 D, But I have no choice! I still prefer a 4-3! But it did work OK When the Rams did it with Kevin Greene on the Team!(y);):D
The Eagle! By any chance do you remember who we have to blame for deciding to quit using Greene as a 3-4 pass rusher?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Because of Wade, I am positive we will be drafting some speedy corners....And some LB's too.

This was a huge step up for the defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Because of Wade, I am positive we will be drafting some speedy corners....And some LB's too.

This was a huge step up for the defense.

Tru is the first order of business.The Rams have 3 DB coaches in tacked right now. Not sure if all 3 will hold that position , but shows how important the coaching staff thinks of the position .

-- My biggest question how The Rams will use J. Joyner ?? He is a smallish CB & gets picked on all the time. I wonder if he could be a FS were he can see everything in front of him , & time his jump or contact point ? He is real good at blitzing as well.

-- TJ is a FA ?? maybe he brings compensation ? Cody Davis & Alexander. I actually like them both , if for nothing else depth & special teams.Cody has excellent hands & Mo can lay the wood.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It will be interesting to see how The Rams look at CB . I believe EJ Gaines was playing hurt & will see a big improvement thus coming up season.
I also like the young LB's because one of them got Ram rookie of 2016 over Goff & the rest of the draft picks.
He had a late start & was a UDFA

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Because of Wade, I am positive we will be drafting some speedy corners....And some LB's too.This was a huge step up for the defense.
I will agree with you here. I would have gone into detail if I had offered up this post...:D with the corners ( most all Nickle type) like the under 5-8 Joyner, the under 5-9 Countess & the under 5-10 Gaines & Hill none of which will ever have outside Speed or the length to be effective on the outside, Yes we will be adding some CB's in the draft. One would also conclude that any LB'ers added by McVay & Phillips will be those outside tweener types only.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Eagle! By any chance do you remember who we have to blame for deciding to quit using Greene as a 3-4 pass rusher?
John Robinson had installed the 3-4 in 1983 and then Changed it back after the 1990 Season, then, when Chuck Knox took over in 1992 he keep the 4-3.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tru is the first order of business.The Rams have 3 DB coaches in tacked right now. Not sure if all 3 will hold that position , but shows how important the coaching staff thinks of the position .

-- My biggest question how The Rams will use J. Joyner ?? He is a smallish CB & gets picked on all the time. I wonder if he could be a FS were he can see everything in front of him , & time his jump or contact point ? He is real good at blitzing as well.

-- TJ is a FA ?? maybe he brings compensation ? Cody Davis & Alexander. I actually like them both , if for nothing else depth & special teams.Cody has excellent hands & Mo can lay the wood.
Tru's as good as gone. JMO. If we didn't keep JJ....we shouldn't keep Tru Johnson.
Joyner....geez...how many years does he have left on his contract? FS....at that range? That speed? He doesn't SEEM like a heady safety to me...but we'll see. Strong safety class in this years draft. Free safeties too. (y) Blitzing? Blitzing?!? All I remember is Joyner hanging on QB's legs...like a lil kid against an adult.
TJ MacDonald....my biggest pain is losing this type of impact player. Cody & Mo....They'll have one year to impress the son-of-bum...I like Mo Alexander too...Cody does seem to find the ball. His next big hit will be his first tho.:thinking:

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
John Robinson had installed the 3-4 in 1983 and then Changed it back after the 1990 Season, then, when Chick Knox took over in 1992 he keep the 4-3.
Yep, in 1991 the defense was changed to a 4-3 to accommodate Jeff Fisher as the new DC. Greene immediately went from a dominating pass rushing OLB to a pedestrian DE. I guess you can blame Robinson too though. He made the call.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yep, in 1991 the defense was changed to a 4-3 to accommodate Jeff Fisher as the new DC. Greene immediately went from a dominating pass rushing OLB to a pedestrian DE. I guess you can blame Robinson too though. He made the call.
I didn't remember this^^ about Fisher, thanks for the input!!(y)

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't remember this^^ about Fisher, thanks for the input!!(y)

I NEVER forgot! I remember being pissed off at how well he was doing with the Titans after SUCKING with the Rams as our DC.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I NEVER forgot! I remember being ticked off at how well he was doing with the Titans after SUCKING with the Rams as our DC.

he was just practicing for the time he came back to suck as the rams hc.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Tru's as good as gone. JMO. If we didn't keep JJ....we shouldn't keep Tru Johnson.
Joyner....geez...how many years does he have left on his contract? FS....at that range? That speed? He doesn't SEEM like a heady safety to me...but we'll see. Strong safety class in this years draft. Free safeties too. (y) Blitzing? Blitzing?!? All I remember is Joyner hanging on QB's legs...like a lil kid against an adult.
TJ MacDonald....my biggest pain is losing this type of impact player. Cody & Mo....They'll have one year to impress the son-of-bum...I like Mo Alexander too...Cody does seem to find the ball. His next big hit will be his first tho.:thinking:

Hopefully McVay/Phillips see some guys they feel they can get more production out of in their systems, but i'm not opposed to cleaning house either if they find it necessary. Building around Goff, Gurley & Donald shouldn't be a problem. The Rams have some tradable pieces and they also have holes, coming from a good CAP situation and a potential for 9 draftees to go along with some young talent who are not entering free agency, i'm not afraid of our new coaching staff making the important decisions. I just want our culture of losing completely swept from our team, including all players who aren't in this thing with every inch of effort.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
To me, the only thing that may look really different is Quinn playing up on the edge rather than having his hand it the dirt. That is if he can get back to form. The nice thing we saw this year was Donald able to rush from a DE position and having success. I see Wade moving the D-Line around, in passing situations, giving them the best advantage to get to the QB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just do not see opponents OC's letting Quinn do what he does best... rush the passer & crashing fast on inside runs. Its not going to be a pretty sight with Robert Quinn having to deal with all those coverage assignments. OC's will attack Quinn's weakness & insure that the weak side standup OSLB'er will find himself more often than not with assignments forcing him to run parallel away from or in reverse in coverage or facing speedy outside perimeter runs.

Quinn has NOT been effective in controlling outside perimeter runs or QB scramble containment since 2014 ended. Now most everyone around is convinced Quinn will be the is the answer. He will be tested like never before this time he will not have an outside LB'ers positioned as close to his rear outside like Mark Barron (2016) & Alex Ogletree (2014 & 2015) did for him in the past :notsure:. Well we will see.

Last edited: