Venturi on Bradford and team as a whole

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
[101]https://soundcloud.com/101sports/zach-and-rammer-10-2-13-10-am[/101]

I know some of you don't like Venturi but I find him to be very pragmatic and blunt. He doesn't sugarcoat things. I agree with pretty much everything he says, especially Bradford. I'll just leave it at that.

Anyways, I thought some would at least like to hear what Venturi had to say about Sam and some other aspects of the team.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As much as I don't want to agree with his assessment of Bradford... I can't help but agree.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Coach Venturi is very sharp. I cant disagree with him as much as it kills me.

What I think he's talking about is that Sam to me seems "overcoached" if that's possible. He's had ball security drilled into him. He's had schemes drilled into him and he just seems to have lost any instinctiveness about him - and confidence in his own game.

What I do think though is that those are things he can get back. He's got great tools - in his size, his arm, his natural passing ability and his character and work ethics etc. In short, I still think hes got enough to be a franchise QB for this team. It just needs to all come together for him, and that's not going to happen at the moment with the pieces hes got around him. Sad to see.

V3

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RaminExile said:
Coach Venturi is very sharp. I cant disagree with him as much as it kills me.

What I think he's talking about is that Sam to me seems "overcoached" if that's possible. He's had ball security drilled into him. He's had schemes drilled into him and he just seems to have lost any instinctiveness about him - and confidence in his own game.

What I do think though is that those are things he can get back. He's got great tools - in his size, his arm, his natural passing ability and his character and work ethics etc. In short, I still think hes got enough to be a franchise QB for this team. It just needs to all come together for him, and that's not going to happen at the moment with the pieces hes got around him. Sad to see.

Regardless of how I feel about Sam now, I definitely feel that the Rams could write the book on what NOT to do to develop a QB. Just about everything they've done to him throughout his career has been wrong. No weapons, no line, bad coaching, little running game, different schemes every year,...the list goes on and on.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
If Vermeil says he would surely not give up on Bradford, that's good enough for me.

Everything Venturi or anyone else says about Sam I take with a grain of salt. Heck, I just heard DV yesterday say Sam has had too many coaches. Venturi must have heard him.

IMHO, relatively speaking...

Venturi knows this much
Vermeil knows this much

As you can tell I really miss the greatest HC the Rams have ever had.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
That's fair. I obviously recognize Vermeil as a more knowledgeable guy but it doesn't make what Venturi said not true. He never said he'd give up on him - but the truth of the matter is Sam does look "overcoached" and hasn't been allowed as much as anything to develop into an instinctive quarterback.

I don't want to give up on him - it means the last 4 years have been a complete waste and condemns us to rebuilding for another 4 years probably. I just hope we really do give the guy a chance to grow and succeed. It hasn't happened up to this point and we've only got ourselves to blame if Sam fails.

V3

Hall of Fame
max said:
If Vermeil says he would surely not give up on Bradford, that's good enough for me.

Everything Venturi or anyone else says about Sam I take with a grain of salt. Heck, I just heard DV yesterday say Sam has had too many coaches. Venturi must have heard him.

IMHO, relatively speaking...

Venturi knows this much
Vermeil knows this much

As you can tell I really miss the greatest HC the Rams have ever had.

No offense to Vermeil but I take everything he ever says with a grain of salt. He's such a nice guy, he'd never say a bad thing about anyone. I remember interviews of him praising Spags and Linehan when they were coaches. Remember, it took upper management to FORCE him to change QB's and offensive coordinators the year we finally won. Vermeil is loyal to a fault.

V3

Hall of Fame
RaminExile said:
That's fair. I obviously recognize Vermeil as a more knowledgeable guy but it doesn't make what Venturi said not true. He never said he'd give up on him - but the truth of the matter is Sam does look "overcoached" and hasn't been allowed as much as anything to develop into an instinctive quarterback.

I don't want to give up on him - it means the last 4 years have been a complete waste and condemns us to rebuilding for another 4 years probably. I just hope we really do give the guy a chance to grow and succeed. It hasn't happened up to this point and we've only got ourselves to blame if Sam fails.

If Sam doesn't improve this year, we'll be at a crossroads again. If Fisher thinks Bradford will work and decides he wants to stick with him, they'll sign him to a new deal. That's probably another 4 years of him. If he works out, great, but if they're wrong, you're looking at least another few years before we can even draft a new QB and start the rebuild.

If they decide they don't want to stick with him, they could cut him after he finishes out his current deal and they could draft a new QB this year or next and the rebuild would be over with MUCH sooner.

Fisher and Snead better be right if they re-sign him because if he doesn't pan out, I honestly don't think the Rams fans will put up with them if they're wrong.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Absolutely. But if they sign him to a new deal they're hitching their wagon to his star or whatever the saying is - but if you think about it they've kind of already done that with the RGIII trade.

Snead and Fisher will live or die by Bradford's performance because of that deal - even if they don't sign him to a new contract - because if he doesn't get it together by the end of this year - they'll have been proved wrong on that deal.

I still think Sam'll make it big time here. I honestly do.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Haven't seen any FIRE from Bradford. I was hoping to see him smash that clipboard down next to Schitty. Needs to unleash the beast and retire the Charlie brown act.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think DV would have expressed some uncertainy about Sam if he didn't think Sam had what it takes.

I was happy that DV didn't say Sam was battered beyond repair.

It is a reasonable explanation that Sam's head is swimming after being told the "right" way to do things by different OC's, HC's, and QB coaches. Combine that with getting hit so much and no running game, and DV's point holds up.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Stopped listening. I should have not started that audio in the first place.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Stranger said:
I already know Venturi's schtick now. And that's why I didn't start it at all.
There are ways to analyze, and then there are ways to be a condescending douche.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Coach V flip flop much?
While I agree with some of what he says because he is knowledgeable about the game. And much of his suggestions could have been gleaned from ROD posts. I kinda zoned out after he talked about McDaniels and his 7 step drops and pocket awareness for Bradford. Some of his critique was spot on when it comes to Bradford, some was off base.
I think he's wrong on Bradford not being able to improvise. The beloved no huddle that so many fans want, that's just basically Bradford adapting to the play in front of him. Same with his rollouts and scrambles.
So which is it coach V?

If he wanted to stun us with his acramin then he should have explained why in the last 3 years, no matter how many we bring in, no WR can get " separation". Answer that, but I guess Bradford had been under the bus long enough.
To the people that thought that we were drafting the next Peyton Manning should have put down that crack pipe.
We drafted Phillip Rivers. And that's just fine. You can win a lot of games that way, Enough to win a SB with a good defense and a good running game maybe.

He was also 100% wrong on Cook. The slot is why he never stood out in Tenn. and isn't here. He needs to line up outside the hashmarks to stay away from the LB's and bigger safeties. He has the speed, so let him use his size against the smaller CB's. Not like were going to miss his blocking. And if they still want to jam him with a LB then the running game got a whole lot better.

Anybody that knows how I post knows that I support all the players 100% ....Till a better one comes along. Pieces of meat basically.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
For my money Warner had the best viewpoint on Bradford and has an advantage of Venturi or Vermiels observations.

By he way I don't think that Fisher and Snead have hitched their wagon to Bradford because of the trade, in fact it could be viewed as a kick ass contingency plan.

Especially since both picks look to be top 12 right now. :neh:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yamahopper said:
Coach V flip flop much?

We drafted Phillip Rivers. And that's just fine. You can win a lot of games that way, Enough to win a SB with a good defense and a good running game maybe.

He was also 100% wrong on Cook. The slot is why he never stood out in Tenn. and isn't here. He needs to line up outside the hashmarks to stay away from the LB's and bigger safeties. He has the speed, so let him use his size against the smaller CB's. Not like were going to miss his blocking. And if they still want to jam him with a LB then the running game got a whole lot better.

quote]

I agree with this 100 per cent. He just has to learn how to run block better. I don't even mean he has to become a grade A run blocker - but he has to at least try.

V3

Hall of Fame
X said:
Stranger said:
There are ways to analyze, and then there are ways to be a condescending douche.

I don't get that from him at all. He's just saying what he believes and I don't see how anyone could say he's way off base with what he's said. In the end, he may end up wrong about Bradford but what he's saying isn't just out of nowhere and completely baseless. If it were, then I would agree that he's being a D-bag.

V3

Hall of Fame
LesBaker said:
For my money Warner had the best viewpoint on Bradford and has an advantage of Venturi or Vermiels observations.

By he way I don't think that Fisher and Snead have hitched their wagon to Bradford because of the trade, in fact it could be viewed as a kick ass contingency plan.

Especially since both picks look to be top 12 right now. :neh:

I would be STUNNED if they used any pick on a QB in next year's draft or in 2015. I hope I'm wrong, though. If Bradford hasn't shown drastic improvement by the end of this season, I'll be screaming for a new QB come draft day.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
V3 said:
X said:
Stranger said:

I don't get that from him at all. He's just saying what he believes and I don't see how anyone could say he's way off base with what he's said. In the end, he may end up wrong about Bradford but what he's saying isn't just out of nowhere and completely baseless. If it were, then I would agree that he's being a D-bag.
I think Venturi is being honest and has integrity, which is why it makes it even harder to listen.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
RaminExile said:
Yamahopper said:
Coach V flip flop much?

quote]

I agree with this 100 per cent. He just has to learn how to run block better. I don't even mean he has to become a grade A run blocker - but he has to at least try.

Cook could be in the league a 100 years and he will never be a decent blocker. That's not him.
What he can be is a little slower, less agile megatron along the sideline. Fades, outs and jump balls he would dominate. he's a half foot taller and has 50 pounds on a lot of CB's.
The Rams need to use his size.
Otherwise he'll be one of those guys that we wonder what went wrong.