Vent thread: Rams @ Vikings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Back Up Bubba . You were missing two starting rookie defenders in your Gator DT and your UCLA LB PERIOD. We were missing both VETERAN #1 Pick DE's that lead the PRESSURE on this "D" with our two penetrating #1 drafted DT's coming up the middle. We also were missing our Top Tackling LB in Alec Ogletree and our Pro Bowl level SS in Tim McDonald who would have been a major Missle early and often against AP . You saw two guy's who saw their very first NFL action EVER at UDFA Longacre from Division two and was on Practice squad all season till this week and a #4 pick in Mo Alexander who played 6 plays in last weeks game and was scored on today. He took himself out of the play. Something a vet like McDonald would never do.

Your future schedule will show you for who your team really is.Those refs don't travel with ya'll. You got their sympathy flags today after TB hit. So freakin sad . Ya'll were going after Gurleys legs all day. We saw it. You well know you don't have what it takes. We have the 32ND offense and it took the refs and a coin flip to beat us and barely beating the bears.

Gotta correct you, Gabe. Sharrif Floyd isn't a rookie. He's a very good veteran DT.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Frustrated that we had to play them so short-handed on our defense. Granted, I don't think the product the D put on the field today was that bad, but not having guys like Quinn, Long, McDonald, and Tree is the difference between having a good defense and an elite defense. Had we at least had Quinn and Donald, we would have had a much better chance of coming up with a game changing defensive play or two.

The pass offense is just maddening, the frustration is palpable. I'm not going to put as much of that on the OL today, as there were plenty of plays were Foles dropped back and sufficient time to throw and just flat out missed. I'm not sure if our WR's weren't where they were supposed to be, or if he's just not getting the ball to where it's supposed to be ... or a combination of the two. But either way, Foles and the WR's are badly out of sync right now. The best I can say for Foles is he's not turning the ball over, but beyond that, it's hard to come up with much good in regard to his play.

Not at all thrilled with the offensive playcalling, and that has to change. A prime example was a bubble screen late to ... Brian Quick?!? Look, I'd like to see Quick get involved in the O as much as anybody, but that's far from the best way to do it. That's a play to you run to Tavon or somebody of that ilk, not to Quick. As others have mentioned, they need to get Quick and Britt into positions where they can use their physicality to their advantage. For all the credit I give Cigs for figuring out how to use Tavon Austin better, he's losing just as much for failing to get the other WR's involved. The next 8 games are going to be long if he doesn't figure that out soon.

As for the two-point thing? Meh. I don't agree with Fisher's decision to go for two there, but I don't think it had nearly as much impact as some of the other posters do. It occurred very early in the game, not at a critical juncture. The Rams had three quarters plus worth of chances to win the game after the failed two pointer and didn't get it done. And even with the missed two pointer and an atrocious offense, they still managed to send the game into overtime. So I really don't put much weight on that play.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Your defense is not bad. You had a couple of starters out as did we. Joyner? Don't think he is a dirty player, just a late hit. It happens. Lot's of penalties called and not called on both sides. Well more called on the Rams. Couple of those 5 yards offside penalties killed you though.
No disrespect intended, but missing Robert Quinn, Chris Long, and TJ McDonald is WAY, WAY more than missing just a couple of players on defense. As decent as they played, you would've seen a much different defense today had those 3 been active.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Just thinking out loud, but anyone else interested in throwing GB a 4th for Hundley. You could have a deadly rushing attack between Gurley, Austin and Hundley. If you had a creative OC, you could develop a decent passing game off of the running game. Hundley marinating behind Rodgers and being coached by McCarthy can't be terrible.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
"I'm not into making statements," coach Jeff Fisher said afterwards. "I'm just into winning games."

LOL at this guy. Acts like he's Belichick or something. He's a .500 coach. Playing for the tie on the road? The Rams didn't deserve to win with that loser mentality. Get this clown the eff outta here already. Puffing out his chest and acting all grandiose when he hasn't done shit. Look at his ex-Titans castoffs... they're all career losers/underachievers too. That shitty mentality trickles down to the players.. not good.

How many times was the offense playing with their backs against the wall on 3rd down this game? Shitty 2 or 3 yard gains on the first 2 downs put them in 3rd and long situations almost every single possession. Can't have that. This is the NFL. Not to mention the 4 plays we ran over and over and over all game. Christ almighty.

Run up the middle for 2 yards.
Run off tackle for 2 yards.
End around for -2 yards.
Fake handoff/end around for a deep ball, close your eyes and hope to get a catch.
Oh, and the telegraphed screen pass that gets blown up for - 4 yards.

Did I miss anything?

:poop:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Gotta correct you, Gabe. Sharrif Floyd isn't a rookie. He's a very good veteran DT.

Was he last years #1 pick for Vikes? Thought he was this years . Was it a USC DT that with his Bushy head went early this year and went out for season. Gotcha Jerry. I stand corrected again. Won't be my last time either thanks. I still think they had played a few games without him. We had to adjust to how many missing guys this week? Missing One DE we can manage. Missing both puts Hayes and 60 plays and 3 penalties and no pressure as he was fried. Floyd is a top talent, I agree. Saw him play every college play here in FL.
Shoot me Jerry This ones gonna hurt even tho we are not goin NOWHERE with this coaching. We need a Haley as our OC.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
Rams offense in a nutshell:

1st and 10 on the 20. False start.
1st and 15 on the 15. Dive to the 2 or 3 holes. Stopped for a yard.
2nd and 14 on the 16. Misdirection fake to 11. Dive Gurley into where ever there seems to be a hole. 3 yard gain.
3rd and 11 on the 19. Short pass to: A: Receiver running a short out, incomplete. B: Checkdown to Gurley, stopped for a five yard gain.

PUNT

Rinse, Repeat.

Really, this is what the Rams offense is, especially deep in their own territory.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
After this game it is clear the offence has to be revamped in the off-season. Last year it was the o-line. This year it is the passing game that needs to be focused on (although obviously the o-line is a big part of that, too).

We need to have to know what we actually have at WR going into this summer. As it is now they are not getting enough targets to evaluate.

I'm not saying we have to become pass crazy. But we must be the only team in the league that refuses to use the middle of the field. Somehow, the Rams and their league ranked WORST offence think they know better than everyone else....

Whether it be the WRs, QB, or playbook something as to change.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
@jrry32
@DR RAM

Had to miss the game. Saw highlights.
I trust you guys not to blow smoke up my arse. Game recap? Who didn't play etc?
An OT loss on the road is disappointing but not the End all Be all.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was he last years #1 pick for Vikes? Thought he was this years . Was it a USC DT that with his Bushy head went early this year and went out for season. Gotcha Jerry. I stand corrected again. Won't be my last time either thanks. I still think they had played a few games without him. We had to adjust to how many missing guys this week? Missing One DE we can manage. Missing both puts Hayes and 60 plays and 3 penalties and no pressure as he was fried. Floyd is a top talent, I agree. Saw him play every college play here in FL.
Shoot me Jerry This ones gonna hurt even tho we are not goin NOWHERE with this coaching. We need a Haley as our OC.

You live in FL?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Another vent: I think this team wins 10+ games. And I doubt that's enough for the playoffs....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32
@DR RAM

Had to miss the game. Saw highlights.
I trust you guys not to blow smoke up my arse. Game recap? Who didn't play etc?
An OT loss on the road is disappointing but not the End all Be all.

Didn't Play (aside from the guys obviously already out)
C. Long
Quinn
McDonald
Havenstein

Recap? We came out the way we normally do...U-G-L-Y. First drive, Foles has Britt running uncovered on a play-action end-around. Doesn't throw the ball to Britt. Foles misses his first 4 throws and we put up two 3-and-outs. Minnesota scores 10 points on their first 2 drives. We all get angry. Rams comeback with 15 unanswered to go up 15-10 at half. Our first TD came on a Gurley run after a Foles bomb to Britt. Fisher goes for two and we get stuffed.(the wind was causing problems with kicking) Next quarter, we get the wind behind us and dominate Minnesota in the 2nd quarter. Zuerlein hits a 61 yard FG along with 2 other shorter kicks. As I said, we go into the half with a 15-10 lead.

Come out of half and Minnesota moves the ball effectively on us, they go up 18-15 after a TD and 2 point conversion. Peterson was running well in the 2nd half and our defense could not pressure Bridgewater at all with Longacre/Sims and Hayes/Westbrooks playing most of the snaps at DE.(although Westbrooks looked good to me) There were some bad calls in the 2nd half but I don't want to blame this on the refs. We blew it. Austin was playing great...until he got open deep, Foles hit him in the hands, and Austin dropped a TD.(wasn't an easy catch as he had to jump for it but it was a routine enough catch) In the 4th quarter, Bridgewater scrambled and Joyner KO'd him when he slid (literally KO'd). Many people felt it was a dirty hit. I think it's borderline. Anyways, Rams got the ball back and drove with about 5 minutes left down 18-15. We get into Minnesota's territory and Fisher decides to run the ball on 3rd and 10 to set the FG up with about 2 minutes left rather than going for the TD (ticked me off). Zuerlein missed the ~48 yard FG to tie. Minnesota got the ball back but Shaun Hill was at QB so they went nowhere. We got the ball back with about a minute remaining and no timeouts at our ~40. We drove into FG range and Zuerlein hit the game typing FG from ~53 yards.

Go into OT, we get the ball first and go 3-and-out.(bad play-calling and a bad decision by Gurley) Minnesota takes the punt return back to near mid-field after a great kick by Hekker (got away with two blocks in the back to spring the PR and our guys stopped when they thought he went out of bounds to avoid a personal foul which allowed him to pick up another 15 yards). Minnesota drove in FG range and hit the game winner.

The basics of this game:
Foles - Great 2nd quarter...terrible the rest of the game.
Austin - Great for most of the game but dropped a ball that likely wins the game in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter
OL - Stunk. Donnal played LG for Reynolds and Reynolds played RT for Havenstein. They gave Gurley no running room the majority of the game but did a serviceable job protecting Foles.
Gurley - Stats don't look great but he was typical Gurley. He was an ankle tackle by Rhodes away from breaking a long run on one of the few plays where he got good blocking. Also had a play that went for 9 yards where he broke 3 or 4 tackles. Was Beast Mode like.
Cook - Typical Cook
Britt - Good game from him
Defense - No pressure up-front and the DL struggled without Quinn and Long. Donald had good moments and bad moments. Gave up a big run or two when he was too quick to penetrate. Our DEs barely pressured Minnesota's QBs.(Westbrooks was the only guy getting after the QB) Hayes jumped off-sides at least 3 times. Maybe 4 times.
Barron - Good and bad...made some great plays but also had a couple plays where he was out of position.
Alexander - Uneven day as well...allowed Bridgewater to stroll in for a TD when he got himself out of position and failed to recover a Peterson fumble that bounced right to him that would have changed the game.
Jenkins/Johnson - Awesome day. Johnson took a ball away from Diggs in the end-zone for a pick. Jenkins was Jenkins. Barely gave up anything threw the air but missed a couple tackles.
Joyner - People bitching because of his Bridgewater hit. Got flagged a couple of times in coverage as well but did well today overall.
McLeod - Really strong game...made some big tackles when Peterson got to the second level. Saved at least one TD.
Hekker - First punt was bad but did well after that
Zuerlein - Missed the 48 yard game tying FG but hit a 61 yard FG, hit two shorters ones, and hit the game tying 53 yard FG when he got a second chance.(hit it twice because Minnesota iced him) There was a lot of wind as well so not an easy day for kicking.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Didn't Play (aside from the guys obviously already out)
C. Long
Quinn
McDonald
Havenstein

Recap? We came out the way we normally do...U-G-L-Y. First drive, Foles has Britt running uncovered on a play-action end-around. Doesn't throw the ball to Britt. Foles misses his first 4 throws and we put up two 3-and-outs. Minnesota scores 10 points on their first 2 drives. We all get angry. Rams comeback with 15 unanswered to go up 15-10 at half. Our first TD came on a Gurley run after a Foles bomb to Britt. Fisher goes for two and we get stuffed.(the wind was causing problems with kicking) Next quarter, we get the wind behind us and dominate Minnesota in the 2nd quarter. Zuerlein hits a 61 yard FG along with 2 other shorter kicks. As I said, we go into the half with a 15-10 lead.

Come out of half and Minnesota moves the ball effectively on us, they go up 18-15 after a TD and 2 point conversion. Peterson was running well in the 2nd half and our defense could not pressure Bridgewater at all with Longacre/Sims and Hayes/Westbrooks playing most of the snaps at DE.(although Westbrooks looked good to me) There were some bad calls in the 2nd half but I don't want to blame this on the refs. We blew it. Austin was playing great...until he got open deep, Foles hit him in the hands, and Austin dropped a TD.(wasn't an easy catch as he had to jump for it but it was a routine enough catch) In the 4th quarter, Bridgewater scrambled and Joyner KO'd him when he slid (literally KO'd). Many people felt it was a dirty hit. I think it's borderline. Anyways, Rams got the ball back and drove with about 5 minutes left down 18-15. We get into Minnesota's territory and Fisher decides to run the ball on 3rd and 10 to set the FG up with about 2 minutes left rather than going for the TD (ticked me off). Zuerlein missed the ~48 yard FG to tie. Minnesota got the ball back but Shaun Hill was at QB so they went nowhere. We got the ball back with about a minute remaining and no timeouts at our ~40. We drove into FG range and Zuerlein hit the game typing FG from ~53 yards.

Go into OT, we get the ball first and go 3-and-out.(bad play-calling and a bad decision by Gurley) Minnesota takes the punt return back to near mid-field after a great kick by Hekker (got away with two blocks in the back to spring the PR and our guys stopped when they thought he went out of bounds to avoid a personal foul which allowed him to pick up another 15 yards). Minnesota drove in FG range and hit the game winner.

The basics of this game:
Foles - Great 2nd quarter...terrible the rest of the game.
Austin - Great for most of the game but dropped a ball that likely wins the game in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter
OL - Stunk. Donnal played LG for Reynolds and Reynolds played RT for Havenstein. They gave Gurley no running room the majority of the game but did a serviceable job protecting Foles.
Gurley - Stats don't look great but he was typical Gurley. He was an ankle tackle by Rhodes away from breaking a long run on one of the few plays where he got good blocking. Also had a play that went for 9 yards where he broke 3 or 4 tackles. Was Beast Mode like.
Cook - Typical Cook
Britt - Good game from him
Defense - No pressure up-front and the DL struggled without Quinn and Long. Donald had good moments and bad moments. Gave up a big run or two when he was too quick to penetrate. Our DEs barely pressured Minnesota's QBs.(Westbrooks was the only guy getting after the QB) Hayes jumped off-sides at least 3 times. Maybe 4 times.
Barron - Good and bad...made some great plays but also had a couple plays where he was out of position.
Alexander - Uneven day as well...allowed Bridgewater to stroll in for a TD when he got himself out of position and failed to recover a Peterson fumble that bounced right to him that would have changed the game.
Jenkins/Johnson - Awesome day. Johnson took a ball away from Diggs in the end-zone for a pick. Jenkins was Jenkins. Barely gave up anything threw the air but missed a couple tackles.
Joyner - People bitching because of his Bridgewater hit. Got flagged a couple of times in coverage as well but did well today overall.
McLeod - Really strong game...made some big tackles when Peterson got to the second level. Saved at least one TD.
Hekker - First punt was bad but did well after that
Zuerlein - Missed the 48 yard game tying FG but hit a 61 yard FG, hit two shorters ones, and hit the game tying 53 yard FG when he got a second chance.(hit it twice because Minnesota iced him) There was a lot of wind as well so not an easy day for kicking.
Thanks Jrry. Appreciate it. Sounds like a hard fought disappointing loss with some missed opportunities on offense and defense. Does Minnesota look like a playoff team?