Under pressure

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do you believe Case Keenum is under an extreme amount of defensive pressure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Take a look at Case's numbers while under pressure. And yep, I snuck another Goff vs. Keenum post in here...You see my ROD$$$$ numbers

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-how-is-it-that-the-rams-still-arent-starting-jared-goff-at-qb/

HOW IS IT THAT THE RAMS STILL AREN’T STARTING JARED GOFF AT QB?
Rams starting QB Case Keenum has been awful versus pressure this season. How can the No. 1 overall pick Goff not yet be ready to replace him?

BY :SAM MONSON

It’s time we started asking a different question about the Los Angeles Rams’ quarterback situation: Namely, how bad could Jared Goff be?

Three wins in a row after an ugly beatdown on opening weekend bought Rams head coach Jeff Fisher and the team some breathing room and an acceptance of the party line that Case Keenum was the best option for the team under center, given that Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2016 draft, needed more time to be ready. But those wins have now been exceeded by four losses in a row, three of which have come at home.

The team has only avoided a turnover once this season on offense, and has had five in the past two games — a run during which Keenum has been near-disastrous.

On HBO’s “Hard Knocks” series this preseason, Fisher made a point of not wanting to be a 7-9 team, and the Rams right now are not on course to be — they’re going to fall short. At the halfway point of their season they are on track for a 6-10 record, and the No.1 overall pick of the draft has still yet to step foot on the field.

Over the past two weeks, Keenum has had PFF grades of 40.7 and 41.1 — which are terrible marks. The obvious counter would be that a rookie would be even worse, but looking at every game played by a rookie QB this season, there have only been two games graded below 40. Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz and Dallas’ Dak Prescott have each had poor performances in recent weeks when they went up against an elite defensive front that put them under all kinds of pressure.

The Rams don’t have a good offensive line, but 16 QBs have been pressured on a greater percentage of their dropbacks this season than Keenum, including Atlanta’s Matt Ryan, who leads the league in passing yards, touchdown passes and is second in passer rating and PFF grade.

Against the Giants, Keenum’s passer rating under pressure was 10. This week it was 27.6. For the season, his passer rating when kept clean is actually 95.8. If the Rams could guarantee him a perfect pocket to throw from each week they would be fine with him at the helm, but the wheels fall off when the heat is applied like few other QBs in the league. Over the entire season he has a passer rating of 31.2 when pressured and has completed under 40 percent of his passes on those throws, tossing five interceptions compared with just one touchdown pass.

Keenum’s drop in passer rating from a clean pocket to being under pressure is the third-steepest in the league in 2016, trailing only Miami’s Ryan Tannehill and Jacksonville’s Blake Bortles, both of whom are having poor seasons.

Every rookie with meaningful snaps has a better relative drop in passer rating than Keenum this season. Cleveland’s Cody Kessler – a third-round pick – drops just 14.8 points when pressured and still has a passer rating of 87.2 when the heat is applied, which is very close to the league average on all throws overall.

So again, the question must be asked: Just how not ready can Jared Goff be?

Over his final two college seasons Goff was under pressure plenty — 29.7 percent of dropbacks in 2015 and 31.6 percent the year before that — and while playing college defenses certainly help with this, his passer rating those two seasons on those plays was 87.1 and 90.6.

Goff showed the ability to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball under pressure and with rushers in his face, and while he undoubtedly needed time to learn an NFL playbook and looked anything but ready to go during the preseason, we are now halfway through the year, and he has had another two months to absorb the playbook.

In the preseason, Goff’s performance was ugly, but so was Kessler’s, and Kessler has stepped up in a significant way once the lights came on in the regular season, and done so with a comparably weak supporting cast.

At this point the Rams season is likely over from any practical standpoint. This team isn’t good enough to challenge for the playoffs, even with some standout performances on defense, so there isn’t any great need to play Goff. If he sits on the bench for the entirety of his rookie season, they will be no worse off in 2017 if he is finally ready to take the field and is the player they believed him to be when they drafted him.

But at this point with the success of so many rookie QBs that were deemed worse pro prospects than Goff just months ago, and a QB ahead of him who is playing his way desperately to the bench, each week the Rams dig their heels in and keep Goff on the bench only makes them look worse.

Keenum has been poor over the past two games, and average at best this season despite a situation surrounding him that is not prohibitively poor. Unless putting Goff out there would irreparably harm his future development, it’s time for Goff to take the field. And if throwing him out there would do that harm to his future career, you have to raise serious questions about just what kind of QB he can ever become at this level.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I dont think Keenum has been under extreme pressure at all. The oline could definately improve but the bigger issue IMO is Keenums pocket manipulation. He takes way to long to reset when he has to move. He drops the ball low when he moves instead of keeping the ball cocked. Even when he buys time for himself he struggles to make good throws and/or takes to long to deliver the ball.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Great point in this article about Kessler also. That fact he has thrown 1 INT in 6 games and Keenum has throw at least 1 in every game but 2 makes you wonder what Fisher is affraid of here.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Fisher is usually about 3 games behind when he makes a change to something that isn't working.

Clearly, CK was working for this team after 4 games. Game 6, being that Fisher said Goff was ready and would start when ready, would have been the sweet spot. That means game 9, this week.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Since I'm not posting in Goff threads, I voted Booty all day!

Big Game

Living The Dream
Nope Case has had time to throw in the pocket a lot this year. The one good thing the O Line has done is protect. As far as creating holes for Gurley to run thru mmmm not so much.

Psycho_X

Legend
There's one basic thing that separates the elite, legendary QBs from the rest and that's ability under pressure. That is the sole reason Goff was drafted over all of the others. He showed the ability to keep calm, eyes down field, and the arm strength to deliver a ball under the worst circumstances. It's not going to be that simple in the NFL obviously and Goff has a lot to learn but that is why the draft capital was spent on Goff because he showed that kind of ability.

Keenum is an average QB... some times he is good some times he is not. He obviously doesn't have the athletic ability or arm strength to throw against pressure most of the time.... his height doesn't help him either. What Goff has to be able to do is call a play in the huddle and take a snap from center without fumbling a couple times a game. How that hasn't been fixed yet (if it hasn't) is beyond me. Yes, he needs to be able to read defenses but honestly rookies usually can't do that. Look at Peyton Manning's rookie year... interceptions galore. But I don't think that is learned on the sideline. Eventually you have to bite the bullet and let them learn on the fly. You can look at video all day long but until you're behind the center and getting a birds eye view of players and movements I don't think it translates fully.

Just my thoughts on it....

tldr: play Goff. It's not going to equal wins this year but last half of a season is perfect time to get the really bad learning out of the way.

RamzFanz

Damnit
tldr: play Goff. It's not going to equal wins this year but last half of a season is perfect time to get the really bad learning out of the way.

And the Jets' d-line likely isn't going to kill him like the Panthers could have.

RamzFanz

Damnit
As far as creating holes for Gurley to run thru mmmm not so much.

I agree, they haven't.

Why he's stopped bouncing outside when there is nothing there is beyond me. I will also say I noted he wasn't following his lead tackle when there was one.

I will also observe that both TA and BC are being successful behind the same line, so? (n)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The way your question is posed, i'd have to say no. While Keenum has been capable of escaping potential sacks, he is still hurried a good deal. Keenum may feel pressure more than say, Goff would, time will tell, but Goff does have a background suggesting he may get the ball off quicker and more accurately. Then again, Keenum shouldn't have the same expectations as his pedigree is not the same as Goff's. O-Line grading alone, the Rams are a better pass pro team than in supporting the rush, which is rather unexpected since Fisher suggested our O-line was to be about giving Gurley the necessary tools to succeed. Our pass pro grades are average to below average, where our rush support ranks as bad.
I'd have to say if anyone is under the most pressure behind the lines, it's Gurley on run plays. Keenum is a reserve QB who happens to be starting, so I don't measure his talent & expectations quite the same as I would an established starting QB. jmo.

Interesting that the Rams OL are playing up to their pre-season rankings of 31'st best, and that the Dallas OL is playing near its # 1 rankings. Sometimes even the press critics get it right.

Last edited:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Case has a few things against him. One his arm just isn't that strong and his deep ball accuracy has missed way to many TD chances already this year. But his height is an issue. How many batted balls at the line have we seen that we likely wouldn't see out of Goff?

I mean Fisher is the only person in the universe that keeps saying we didn't lose because of QB play.
Case has had his moments and I think we all love his grit and heart; but how many QB's can have 9 TD's and 11 INT's in 8 games and aren't the issue? Or at least a large part of it. Plus, I think 3 of those 11 int's have been pick 6's.
In no way shape or form can I fathom how Goff can possibly do any worse. At the very least it gives him experience and brings some excitement to the team to watch. We already know what Case brings and it ain't much.
Statistically, outside of his completion percentage, which even that is 23rd in the league, he one of the worst in the entire league. Not that I'm bashing him, but that's just the reality of the situation.

Again, how Fisher is so blind to this is beyond any of us. There is no way Goff could do worse then 30 other QB's in the league. Just not going to happen.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Is it being under pressure too much, or maybe he's having a harder time seeing the field because he is short? I think it's the latter. Goff is 6'4" vs. Keenum at 6'1" (wearing 2" heels.) With Goff being a bit taller he would have a better vision of the entire field. Our O-Line average height is 6'5". So right off the bat, Case has to throw over the O-Line causing him to put more air under his passes causing them to "float" somewhat. Unless the O-Line can create "throwing lanes" with the pass pro, which is really hard for an experienced O-Line, let alone our current O-Line, he can't put any zip on the ball when he's throwing behind the line. Now when we roll the pocket and he has no one in his face, then he can put some zip behind his throws. Problem with always rolling him out is it cuts the field in half and limits the passing game to half of the field.

Comparing him to Brees I see a couple differences. First, if you watch the Saints, Drew is at least 8 yards behind the O-Line when he throws. Being this deep allows him better vision over their O-Line so he can make throws over the middle. Second, even though he too has to put a bit more air under his throws from behind the line, I think he has a much stronger arm than Case so his ball gets to the receiver faster. My two cents.
twocents.gif

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't think he's been under an excessive amount of pressure by any means. The pass blocking, while there is room for improvement, isn't terrible. It sure isn't any kind of Loney-esque disaster when that namesake was OL coach. For that matter, it's nothing near what it was at the end of the Bulger era, when Marc was getting pulverized time and time again before he could ever set his feet. It's been good enough. I would add that Keenum has contributed to some of his sacks either by running into them or simply holding onto the ball for too long.

Also, given the title of this thread, you have forced me to do this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01QQZyl-_I

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without the Detroit game, Keenum is at 6td - 10int and a passer rating of 70
Good grief, start the kid already

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And the Jets' d-line likely isn't going to kill him like the Panthers could have.
Mo Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, and that cat from Mizzou would disagree.
Case has to throw over the O-Line
Hmmm, maybe to see/look over the line, but all QB's, yes even the 6'5 variety, look & THROW through the lanes created while the line blocks...

And I totally agree with Wyche @tavian ...as the crowd/mob grows impatient, the forces that be will pressure Fisher to play him. Sad as that is...our #1 pick is only gonna play the more we lose....oh brother!:confused::oops:o_O