Under McVay, '17 is now a "prove it" year for a lotta players...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think it's fair to say that McVay can be considered a strong O mind with an excellent reputation for developing players, right?

Here are some vets that could be considered to be on the bubble before the first OTA. At least imo. I mean on the bubble in the sense of taking a firm grasp of their respective starting positions, NOT in the sense of being cut in '18, mind you.

Jared Goff. Yeah, he needs to make a statement this year.

Todd Gurley. Need to see that #10 pick of '15 player rather than the '16 pouty imposter.

GRob. Little explanation needed. Heck, he's not even a total lock to make the roster, much less a starter.

Tavon Austin. Perhaps McVay can better utilize him. I fear that we've already seen close to Tavon's ceiling, however.

Lance Kendricks. McVay loves TE's in his O. Can Kendricks step up? I think he'd better.

J Brown, Wichmann, Barnes, Donald, even Havenstein. Can these guys be even average OL players in '17 with better coaching and game scheming? I'm hoping, but I dunno.

Now, for a few starter wannabe's...

Spruce. Can he produce in a real game, AND can he stay healthy? He'd better do both.

Thomas. He best show up with flypaper hands starting with OTA's. Maybe a personal coach might help?

Cooper. Needs to do more than the occasional flash if he wants to see significant snaps. I've got a feeling that he might be one to benefit most from superior coaching.

Higbee. Another that needs to take a giant step forward if he wants to be a big part of this new O. Another that could really benefit under superior coaching.

The D situation is much better and with Phillips as DC, far fewer question marks. But still...

Here are a few that could either take the "right" or the "wrong" fork in the road in '17.

Quinn. Can he ever be anywhere close to the dominant player he once was? If not, regretfully, McVay and Wade may need to make other plans for '18.

Forrest. Does he have a future as a starter?

Gaines. Is he 100%? And if so, can he return to his '14 form.

Jordan. Can he become a starter on this D? Or will he remain a backup?

FA and the draft will give us strong clues as to the player evaluations made by the new staff.

Can't wait to see how this all unfolds.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only person on offense I'm not worried about is Gurley. What I saw from him was growth. He caught the ball very good out of the back field and even with the terrible run blocking he still held on to the ball and his blitz pick up was good. I think he was just discouraged with how the line was blocking and he was just to focused on not losing yards. After watching the Dallas offensive line and Elliot not getting touched until he was up on the linebackers make what Gurley went through even more alarming. I don't think he had 1 run all year where he didnt have 2 or 3 guys right on top of him.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the defense we need to draft two corners and pick one up in FA. We also need to add pass rushers and a true center fielder safety like The kid from Ohio state.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Scirca why the different opinion please elaborate..

This hire of McVay is supposed to benefit Goff right but what if he have another season like this what if Mannion outplays him again in the preseason what other excuses are gonna be made for Goff. They are gonna give him every tool to succeed what if he just doesn't have what it takes what will you say then. I don't see how you can be bullish on Gurley but infatuated with Goff

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
OL coach, OL coach, OL coach. McSnead need to get a wizard that can get the OL to perform or none of their plans for offense will get off the ground.

I'm guessing since they haven't hired one yet, whoever they have in mind is on a team still in the SB hunt.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think Tavon is pretty safe. He can score anytime he gets the ball and plays multiple positions well. When we have a coach that is able to use him like the Chiefs use Tyreek Hill, he will be indispensable.

HellRam

Starter
@Scirca why the different opinion please elaborate..

This hire of McVay is supposed to benefit Goff right but what if he have another season like this what if Mannion outplays him again in the preseason what other excuses are gonna be made for Goff. They are gonna give him every tool to succeed what if he just doesn't have what it takes what will you say then. I don't see how you can be bullish on Gurley but infatuated with Goff

IMO the same reason/excuse you gave Gurley for having a down year, should be consistent with why Goff had such troubles in his rookie season. As you mentioned, the offensive line gave Gurley hardly anything to work with. Well that same line was also blocking for Goff as well. It's a fair debate if you think Goff will be a franchise QB or not...heck I'm a huge Goff fan and saw things from his rookie year that has me slightly worried. That said the Rams offense last season was so atrocious it's kinda hard right now to tell where Goff or Gulrey are at in this point of their careers.

Also I don't think Gurley showed any growth last season. The Rams did utilize him more in the passing game but IMO he's always had that skill set. I do think Gurely took more plays off this season however, compared to his rookie season.

As of right now both Goff and Gurley could improve their game drastically. Just my take

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO the same reason/excuse you gave Gurley for having a down year, should be consistent with why Goff had such troubles in his rookie season. As you mentioned, the offensive line gave Gurley hardly anything to work with. Well that same line was also blocking for Goff as well. It's a fair debate if you think Goff will be a franchise QB or not...heck I'm a huge Goff fan and saw things from his rookie year that has me slightly worried. That said the Rams offense last season was so atrocious it's kinda hard right now to tell where Goff or Gulrey are at in this point of their careers.

Also I don't think Gurley showed any growth last season. The Rams did utilize him more in the passing game but IMO he's always had that skill set. I do think Gurely took more plays off this season however, compared to his rookie season.

As of right now both Goff and Gurley could improve their game drastically. Just my take

Not saying that he or Goff couldn't improve. I'm not one of the ones that blame everything on everyone else but Goff then turn around and start saying "sit Gurley". The difference between the running back and QB isn't all that different they both rely on other people for most of their success. So I don't get how people can love Goff while blaming his teammates and at the same time think Gurley isn't a star because of those same teammates seems a little hypocritical to me

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Positions or units where I suspect we will witness some change in personnel :

OL) 2 - Could see up to 4 starting players either re-positioned, demoted or replaced.

WR) 1 - McVay will definitely seek to help Goff find a more consistent # 1 receiving partner.

RB) 0 - Whether Bennie returns or not, Green would more than likely be an in-house replacement.

TE) 0 - I'm no longer as convinced on believing Kendricks is in serious trouble here, he'll get 2017 as a 'show me' trial.

DL) 2 - 1 NT/DT, primarily a rotational player behind Brockers, but could start if Brockers is moved outside. 1 DE, whether to eventually replace an aging Hayes or as quality back-up/starter in a 3/4 hybrid.

LB) 2 - 1 OLB opposite Quinn if we go 3/4 Base D, 1 ILB to add size and strength to the middle.

CB) 1 or 2, depending on Tru Johnson re-signing, and the pre-season health of Gaines.

FS) 1 - need a true fast, rangy coverage guy allowing Alexander to focus at SS.

I'm guessing as many as 8 - 10 adjustments or new faces starting for the Rams out of the current (2016) 22 starters on O & D. The Rams have near $44.mil in CAP before any CAP cutting takes place, and I anticipate 8 draft picks including the Comp's.

jmo.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Not saying that he or Goff couldn't improve. I'm not one of the ones that blame everything on everyone else but Goff then turn around and start saying "sit Gurley". The difference between the running back and QB isn't all that different they both rely on other people for most of their success. So I don't get how people can love Goff while blaming his teammates and at the same time think Gurley isn't a star because of those same teammates seems a little hypocritical to me
Steven Jackson kept on churning 1000 yard seasons despite playing on very bad teams and O-lines. That, to me, is a star player. Players that have special abilities and produce despite poor performances around him.

This year Gurley was no star player. He looked pedestrian. He got tackled a lot more easily and his vision was not the same, missing many holes. What Gurley needs to do is refocus this offseason and maybe add that weight he lost this past year to get him stronger. He definitely needs to prove that 2016 wasn't what he is all about.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm excited to see what becomes of Tavon. It wouldn't surprise me if he earns his salary. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed exactly the same either.

Anyway. I'm far less concerned about plugging the holes on D than I am about the offense. This needs to be a very offensive heavy offseason. Yes, we need a corner, but I have a ton of faith in Wade. If our offense puts drives together and scores 26 points a game, that dline is going to stay rested, which is going to make the DBs look better. Get us a corner (or resign Tru) fix the line and sign a #1.

If we go into this season without at least two new starters on the line, we're doomed.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Steven Jackson kept on churning 1000 yard seasons despite playing on very bad teams and O-lines. That, to me, is a star player. Players that have special abilities and produce despite poor performances around him.

This year Gurley was no star player. He looked pedestrian. He got tackled a lot more easily and his vision was not the same, missing many holes. What Gurley needs to do is refocus this offseason and maybe add that weight he lost this past year to get him stronger. He definitely needs to prove that 2016 wasn't what he is all about.
So say the same about Goff then. I love Steven Jackson at the same time he wasn't a 2nd yr player either. All I'm saying if we can give Goff latitude because of who was around him then I think someone that has actually accomplished something in the NFL deserve that same latitude even more so

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Positions or units where I suspect we will witness some change in personnel :

OL) 2 - Could see up to 4 starting players either re-positioned, demoted or replaced.

WR) 1 - McVay will definitely seek to help Goff find a more consistent # 1 receiving partner.

RB) 0 - Whether Bennie returns or not, Green would more than likely be an in-house replacement.

TE) 0 - I'm no longer as convinced on believing Kendricks is in serious trouble here, he'll get 2017 as a 'show me' trial.

DL) 2 - 1 NT/DT, primarily a rotational player behind Brockers, but could start if Brockers is moved outside. 1 DE, whether to eventually replace an aging Hayes or as quality back-up/starter in a 3/4 hybrid.

LB) 2 - 1 OLB opposite Quinn if we go 3/4 Base D, 1 ILB to add size and strength to the middle.

CB) 1 or 2, depending on Tru Johnson re-signing, and the pre-season health of Gaines.

FS) 1 - need a true fast, rangy coverage guy allowing Alexander to focus at SS.

I'm guessing as many as 8 - 10 adjustments or new faces starting for the Rams out of the current (2016) 22 starters on O & D. The Rams have near $44.mil in CAP before any CAP cutting takes place, and I anticipate 8 draft picks including the Comp's.

jmo.

I agree. But counting on Gaines put us behind the 8ball last year I think we need 3 corners draft 2 bring in another

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay will jettison guys who don't run crisp routes, first off. Tavon included, so he'd better be ready to work his butt off on his routes. His stamp on the team will be that exact precision in route running from day one in OTAs, and guys who can't get that are not gonna be around long.

OL is really the biggest piece, the biggest question for me. McVay is going to have the passing game covered, he's gonna coach/teach the skills guys into shape quickly. They need more talent, but guys are going to improve under him. Defense is covered under Wade, dude is gonna have that side of the fence workin.

The OL, that's the thing. Who is his hire going to be there. Everything is going to revolve around that IMO.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
So say the same about Goff then. I love Steven Jackson at the same time he wasn't a 2nd yr player either. All I'm saying if we can give Goff latitude because of who was around him then I think someone that has actually accomplished something in the NFL deserve that same latitude even more so

Goff was a rookie who started 7 games. I did not expect him to light it up. He also plays the hardest position in ALL of sports. So I will give Goff latitude. Gurley on the the other hand was coming off a rookie of the year campaign with 1100+ in only 13 games. I think we all expect him to become our next star running back. He did not show it this past year. He still has a lot to prove.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

May be a bit early to compare Jackson to Gurley. Jackson's very best season by rush average was as a rookie, at 5 yards per carry. Jackson gained his most yards in a season during his 3'rd year out of the 12, with a bit over 1500 rushing yards in 2006. He also had Orlando Pace, Adam Timmerman, Richie Incognito, Todd Steussie, Alex Barron and the oft injured Mark Setterstrom, etc. I loved Jackson for his capabilities, and even with Pace & Timmerman reaching their waning years, this line was light years ahead of our 2016 Rams. Both Bulger & Jackson had their best years for yards gained in 2006, and that team only managed an 8 - 8 record, a year where Bulger was sacked a record 49 times and Jackson had over 800 additional receiving yards. Of course, we also had a pretty poor defense at this time. The aging Bruce & Holt duo were also on that 2006 team.
Gurley was getting hit behind the L.O.S. about as consistently as possible, not to say he is faultless every play, but comparing the two teams, well ... you can't. The 2006 Rams offense was a far better rush blocking team than in pass pro during this period, but Bulger was also far more dangerous at this time than either Keenum or a rookie Goff. Our current OL is about as confused as any i've seen, whether it takes coaching or personnel or both to make it at least average, I guess we'll find out soon enough. McVay will give us a pass attack, and Gurley can only improve once this team's offense becomes multi-dimensional. When it comes to worrying about our team, it's the OL that keeps me up at night, not Gurley. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I agree. But counting on Gaines put us behind the 8ball last year I think we need 3 corners draft 2 bring in another

That's true, but I also like this years rookie Mike Jordan going forward. We didn't see a lot of him, but I thought he looked like he may have a future the few times he did get in. jmo.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff was a rookie who started 7 games. I did not expect him to light it up. He also plays the hardest position in ALL of sports. So I will give Goff latitude. Gurley on the the other hand was coming off a rookie of the year campaign with 1100+ in only 13 games. I think we all expect him to become our next star running back. He did not show it this past year. He still has a lot to prove.

Thats what happens though when there us absolutely no threat from the qb position every team every coach every opposing team fan said stop Gurley because Gurley have Proven that he can take over a game. When you have every team geared to stop one person and the oline cant run block thats what you get

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's true, but I also like this years rookie Mike Jordan going forward. We didn't see a lot of him, but I thought he looked like he may have a future the few times he did get in. jmo.
I like Jordan too and Countess. I want as much competition in the corner room as possible though

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think Tavon is pretty safe. He can score anytime he gets the ball and plays multiple positions well. When we have a coach that is able to use him like the Chiefs use Tyreek Hill, he will be indispensable.

Yes, when he has been used properly he benefits Gurley and keeps defenses WAY more honest.

McVay will jettison guys who don't run crisp routes, first off. Tavon included, so he'd better be ready to work his butt off on his routes. His stamp on the team will be that exact precision in route running from day one in OTAs, and guys who can't get that are not gonna be around long.

I think you are partially correct, I think his stamp on the team will be QB then WR. Or he will copy this tattoo that @RamFan503 got on his last visit to see the Rams play the 49ers.

I predict this post will be edited in 10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. ...................

Last edited by a moderator: