UDFA Ramon Richards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Sounds like the Rams have recently signed UDFA DB Ramon Richards (Oklahoma State). From the few Video Clips I have seen this player looks pretty good! Will probably have a difficult time making the Rams roster but he does look pretty good.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kevin Peterson was a defensive back from Okie State, and he turned out well.

Good luck to Richards.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I don't get it. We knew about this two days after the draft, and there's still others they haven't announced yet. I wonder why this takes so long before it becomes official?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get it. We knew about this two days after the draft, and there's still others they haven't announced yet. I wonder why this takes so long before it becomes official?
They didn't sign enough UDFA to fully take the roster to the required 90 men. So they're holding try outs and have room to sign a few more people still. While it's not an official roster, spotrac.com has them as having 82 guys on the payroll.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Los Angeles Rams have signed another undrafted free agent: Oklahoma State Cowboys DB Ramon Richards.

Richards played three years at cornerback before moving back to safety in 2017. He spent two years in a strong cornerback rotation that also featured current Rams CB Kevin Peterson in 2014 and 2015 as well as CB Tre Flowers, a fifth-round pick for the Seattle Seahawks in the 2018 NFL Draft. An undersized defender with a nose for the ball, Richards had 10 interceptions in his collegiate career and was often tasked to cover shiftier wideouts in the Big XII like Texas Tech WR Keke Coutee (a Houston Texans’ fourth-round pick from last weekend) and Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard (the New York Giants’ second-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft).

Richards is the eighth confirmed UDFA signing for the Rams. He will wear #47.

He joins a crowded secondary that is set at the top while offering a pretty healthy competition in the depth positions.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...-ramon-richards-oklahoma-state-2018-nfl-draft

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There supposedly other safeties as well like Chuck Williams (Louisville), Steven Parker ( Oklahoma) and Afolabi Laguda (Colorado) hopefully some of them will be confirmed too as I like all of them much better than Richards IMHO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams current situation @ safety is good but the depth last season was highly disappointing when the season concluded. I was also thinking somewhat out of the box before the draft that Safety might be a surprise event...it not happen. Why?

Snead & Demoff were forced into the tagging of LJ. Paying a safety $11.3 million is serious money for a non pro bowl safety. LJ is also a normal safety either so don't get me wrong here. Since the Tagging of LJ Snead & Demoff have been very busy building our secondary up to all star unit. When you have two pro bowl corners & one ex pro bowl corner 3 DB's for the price of $13.7 million compared to the $11.3 for one safety you see my point.

Wade had 3 reserve safeties in 2017. Blake Countess/ Marqui Christian & isaiah Johnson. Both Countess & Christian have been here since they were WWC material from the Eagles & Cards in 2016 Isaiah Johnson has been well traveled. None of the 3 have done much to improve now entering their 3rd seasons. All 3 have big HOLE's in coverage skills along with tackling inconsistencies.

Snead & Wade have been busy as of late here @ safety. They added SIX safeties starting with drafting Trevin Howard who is a taking machine who was moved to rover LB'er position in college @ 6-1 211 lbs. They have added Chucky Williams 6-1 211lbs, Steven Parker 6-1 203lbs, Afolabi Laguda 6-1 201lbs, Ramon Richards 5-11 190 & Curtis Mikel 5-8 170.

I see some changes taking place here @ the future safety unit myself. A changing of the guard stuff. LJ, Countess & Isaiah Johnson are not under contract after this season. IF LJ demands big $$$ he will be cut & his $$$ directed towards Donald, Gurley, Cooks, Peters & so on.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They didn't sign enough UDFA to fully take the roster to the required 90 men. So they're holding try outs and have room to sign a few more people still. While it's not an official roster, spotrac.com has them as having 82 guys on the payroll.
Ourlads.com has the Rams Roster at "84" right now. But I have a list of 5 more UDFAQ's that we brought in that haven't been assigned numbers. So I guess they are still being evaluated. "IF" they all make it that would put the Roster at "89" by my count.

The five I have, still out there are:
* DL - Dalton Keene - Illinois State
* DB - Steven Parker - Oklahoma
* TE - Cody McElroy - Oklahoma State
* DB - Afolabi Laguda - Colorado
and
* FS - Chucky Williams - Louisville

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ourlads.com has the Rams Roster at "84" right now. But I have a list of 5 more UDFAQ's that we brought in that haven't been assigned numbers. So I guess they are still being evaluated. "IF" they all make it that would put the Roster at "89" by my count.

The five I have, still out there are:
* DL - Dalton Keene - Illinois State
* DB - Steven Parker - Oklahoma
* TE - Cody McElroy - Oklahoma State
* DB - Afolabi Laguda - Colorado
and
* FS - Chucky Williams - Louisville
Those guys aren't signed they were brought in for tryouts along with another 5 or 6 guys I saw listed. I can't find that article anymore though but from what I remember we had about 13 guys in for tryouts for the last 5 or 6 spots.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Snead & Demoff were forced into the tagging of LJ. Paying a safety $11.3 million is serious money for a non pro bowl safety. LJ is also a normal safety either so don't get me wrong here. Since the Tagging of LJ Snead & Demoff have been very busy building our secondary up to all star unit. When you have two pro bowl corners & one ex pro bowl corner 3 DB's for the price of $13.7 million compared to the $11.3 for one safety you see my point.

Wade had 3 reserve safeties in 2017. Blake Countess/ Marqui Christian & isaiah Johnson. Both Countess & Christian have been here since they were WWC material from the Eagles & Cards in 2016 Isaiah Johnson has been well traveled. None of the 3 have done much to improve now entering their 3rd seasons. All 3 have big HOLE's in coverage skills along with tackling inconsistencies.

This has been my mantra ever since Joyner was tagged. There are simply too many other players to be paid well in the near future for the Rams to be able to tag him again. That's why I had a safety in my mock who had starting potential.

I also agree that the holdover depth is pretty weak, or at least played that way LAST season. Cody Davis got the start over these guys in Joyner's absence and Davis won't be back.

This is the 2nd year of a new regime. Those that made it through the first round of change over won't all be safe in round 2. That's the way it works because you can only do so much in the first year. I think those inherited backup safeties were bodies. This year more focus can, and likely will be spent on upgrading the talent as well as protecting the team against Joyner walking.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This has been my mantra ever since Joyner was tagged. There are simply too many other players to be paid well in the near future for the Rams to be able to tag him again. That's why I had a safety in my mock who had starting potential.

I also agree that the holdover depth is pretty weak, or at least played that way LAST season. Cody Davis got the start over these guys in Joyner's absence and Davis won't be back.

This is the 2nd year of a new regime. Those that made it through the first round of change over won't all be safe in round 2. That's the way it works because you can only do so much in the first year. I think those inherited backup safeties were bodies. This year more focus can, and likely will be spent on upgrading the talent as well as protecting the team against Joyner walking.
Excellent comments as usual!

Another thought here on this safety post's future planing for 2019.....is Aqib Talib who in will be 33 yr old might be under consideration to start @ safety. If young CB's like NR-C, Troy Hill or Peterson step up, or Sam Shields proves himself healthy they could start with Peters then Talib with his wealth of knowledge:sneaky: & ball hawking skills could be turned loose on the opponents QB's air balls.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams current situation @ safety is good but the depth last season was highly disappointing when the season concluded. I was also thinking somewhat out of the box before the draft that Safety might be a surprise event...it not happen. Why?

Snead & Wade have been busy as of late here @ safety. They added SIX safeties starting with drafting Trevin Howard who is a taking machine who was moved to rover LB'er position in college @ 6-1 211 lbs. They have added Chucky Williams 6-1 211lbs, Steven Parker 6-1 203lbs, Afolabi Laguda 6-1 201lbs, Ramon Richards 5-11 190 & Curtis Mikel 5-8 170.

I see some changes taking place here @ the future safety unit myself. A changing of the guard stuff. LJ, Countess & Isaiah Johnson are not under contract after this season. IF LJ demands big $$$ he will be cut & his $$$ directed towards Donald, Gurley, Cooks, Peters & so on.
hopefully one of them sticks.