Turmoil in Washington

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...b55ee4-5cfe-11e3-be07-006c776266ed_story.html

You don’t have to be an astute NFL observer to realize Washington Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan could be on the verge of losing his job. The Redskins’ embarrassing collapse and Shanahan’s poor overall record in Washington (there’s no sugarcoating 24-36) have stirred speculation that team owner Daniel Snyder may fire Shanahan after the season.

Coaches with uncertain job security often dump coordinators in an effort to placate owners demanding change. And if Shanahan returns for the final year of his contract in 2014, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett likely will not. But don’t expect Shanahan to oust the team’s offensive coordinator because no father wants to fire his son.

There are many reasons to bench Robert Griffin III for the Redskins remaining four games, so the Post Sports Live crew debates whether protecting the quarterback from injury and any other arguments have merit.

The friction between the team’s top assistant on offense and its most important player — and the fact that the head coach is stuck in the middle — is proof that hiring your children can be risky. Assuming the Shanahans remain with the Redskins, Kyle must reconnect with Griffin, who isn’t going anywhere. It won’t be easy.

Since late last season, it has been known within the organization that Griffin isn’t happy working with Kyle. Their differences over play-calling resulted in Griffin losing trust in him, Redskins people with knowledge of the situation say, and that can’t help but affect the quarterback’s relationship with the guy who runs the football operation.

Whenever Griffin disagrees with Kyle about the direction of the offense — it has happened often — he isn’t merely at odds with a high-ranking assistant coach. He is challenging the person whose father ultimately determines how the Redskins play. From Griffin’s perspective, it’s always two against one. Former Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb knows the feeling.

During McNabb’s season with the Redskins in 2010, he clashed with Kyle about everything from play-calling to the tone he used when criticizing the six-time Pro Bowler’s performance in front of the team, a person close to McNabb once told me. McNabb never believed he had the support of the head coach in his disputes with the offensive coordinator, which isn’t surprising.

Kyle left a good position running the Houston Texans’ offense to help his father rebuild the Redskins. The last thing Mike Shanahan wants to do is undermine his son, whom he’s grooming to be a head coach. In appearing to unconditionally support Kyle, though, Mike contributed to alienating McNabb and now Griffin.

That’s the sort of problem that can occur for teams led by powerful father-son coaching tandems. It’s exactly what Snyder doesn’t want.

When Marty Schottenheimer coached the Redskins in 2001, Schottenheimer’s son, Brian, was the quarterbacks coach. Snyder was uncomfortable with the whole father-son dynamic on his coaching staff.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I happen to "enjoy" the soap opera in Washington. Never a fan of Shanahan. I love the trade and the draft picks - THANK YOU!

But... the part I bolded in that article kind of irks me. What does a rookie QB (RGme) know about running an NFL offense? Why in the world would there be friction?

It just further cements my opinion of Sam. He rolled through many bad scenarios and OC's... but did HIS JOB! He never tried to do do the job of the OC or the HC.

Shut up RGme! Just run the offense you're paid to run! Keep acting like a baby and your team will always stink!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I happen to "enjoy" the soap opera in Washington. Never a fan of Shanahan. I love the trade and the draft picks - THANK YOU!

But... the part I bolded in that article kind of irks me. What does a rookie QB (RGme) know about running an NFL offense? Why in the world would there be friction?

It just further cements my opinion of Sam. He rolled through many bad scenarios and OC's... but did HIS JOB! He never tried to do do the job of the OC or the HC.

Shut up RGme! Just run the offense you're paid to run! Keep acting like a baby and your team will always stink!
Two Qbs heard from in that article that I view as self pitying .

I am a Shanahan believer, but unless you own the company ,hiring your kid doubles you down side without an equal upside ,it just brings out the chance people won't look at real problems and focus on the imagined ones.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I would like to recommend a solution to this mess....

Mike and Kyle should bring in McNad to serve as intermediary between Bob-G-ME and the father/son coaching combo for at least the rest of the year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would like to recommend a solution to this mess....

Mike and Kyle should bring in McNad to serve as intermediary between Bob-G-ME and the father/son coaching combo for at least the rest of the year.

Or maybe RGme's Dad?

Here's another article from the Washington Post where even RG senior feels the need to chime in with an opinion. I won't post the whole story, but here is an excerpt. What a clown scene;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...6d75bc-5ba6-11e3-a66d-156b463c78aa_story.html

Robert Griffin Jr. appreciated the coach’s gesture. But he also felt Shanahan needed to worry strictly about coaching his football team rather than building a stronger bond with his son, that what’s done is done and that both parties needed to move forward and concentrate on ensuring Griffin’s health wasn’t put in jeopardy again by anyone or anything — ego, play-calling or the quarterback’s own stubborn pride.

A point of clarification here: The source of the Griffins’ discontent over the whole episode wasn’t that a gimpy Robert was allowed to continue playing, especially because he did everything but beg to be on the field; no, it was the play-calling of Kyle Shanahan, the team’s offensive coordinator and Mike’s son, after Griffin was first hurt that they felt put him at further risk.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Loving every minute of it. Meltdown 2013!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Or maybe RGme's Dad?

Here's another article from the Washington Post where even RG senior feels the need to chime in with an opinion. I won't post the whole story, but here is an excerpt. What a clown scene;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...6d75bc-5ba6-11e3-a66d-156b463c78aa_story.html

Robert Griffin Jr. appreciated the coach’s gesture. But he also felt Shanahan needed to worry strictly about coaching his football team rather than building a stronger bond with his son, that what’s done is done and that both parties needed to move forward and concentrate on ensuring Griffin’s health wasn’t put in jeopardy again by anyone or anything — ego, play-calling or the quarterback’s own stubborn pride.

A point of clarification here: The source of the Griffins’ discontent over the whole episode wasn’t that a gimpy Robert was allowed to continue playing, especially because he did everything but beg to be on the field; no, it was the play-calling of Kyle Shanahan, the team’s offensive coordinator and Mike’s son, after Griffin was first hurt that they felt put him at further risk.

I definitely overlooked that... Yes, yes, yes. Bring in both McNad and Bob-gDad-Too. Having his Dad in the locker room with him before and after games will do wonders for the team. McNad can then focus all of his efforts on telling Mike and Kyle how stupid their game planning/play calling is.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I definitely overlooked that... Yes, yes, yes. Bring in both McNad and Bob-gDad-Too. Having his Dad in the locker room with him before and after games will do wonders for the team. McNad can then focus all of his efforts on telling Mike and Kyle how stupid their game planning/play calling is.

:lol:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I wonder what Steven Jackson's sister has to say about this.
RGII is a dummy and his son needs to tell dad to STFU and quit making junior look like a daddy's boy while anyone still wants to coach him

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The 1st 2 drives against New York seemed like they banked their season on them. It was like them trying to say a big "FU" to all the critics.

Then they realized...they aren't that good. Terrible OL and an even worse defense.

They really need to upgrade those 2 areas...take Jake Matthews w/ their 1st round pi- oh wait.

A55VA6

Legend
Shanahan was about to quit last year. This is hilarious.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...as-ready-quit-washington-redskins-2012-season

As speculation mounts about Mike Shanahan's future in Washington, details have emerged about the coach's dissatisfaction with the relationship between owner Dan Snyder and quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Disillusioned with the way Snyder was running the organization, Shanahan cleaned out his office in advance of January's wild-card playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks and expected to leave the team whenever the season ended, according to a source who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Mike Shanahan grew disillusioned at the special treatment Robert Griffin III received from owner Dan Snyder and had planned to resign after last season before the quarterback hurt his knee in the playoffs, a source said.

The source said Shanahan had grown tired of the way Snyder empowered Griffin and openly esteemed him above all other players. Shanahan didn't blame Griffin but did blame Snyder for creating an atmosphere that Shanahan did not believe was conducive to winning. Shanahan privately told people close to him that he felt Snyder's behavior with regard to Griffin was a "complete farce."

In spite of that, Shanahan believed he would be leaving the team on a very positive note, as the Redskins had won the NFC East in his third year as their coach and were preparing for a playoff run. He believed the team had come together and shown strong character during the seven-game winning streak on which it ended the regular season.

But when Griffin injured his knee in that playoff loss, a source said, Shanahan changed his plans. He believed leaving at that point was no longer an option. He didn't want the general public, or possibly even his players, to think he left because of Griffin's injury.

Contacted this weekend about this information, Shanahan declined to comment.

Through team spokesman Tony Wyllie, the Redskins said, "That story is ridiculous."

A team source said Shanahan had grown weary by January of the way Snyder treated Griffin, empowering his quarterback and helping make him feel bigger than the team. The issue apparently carried over into the offseason and into this season.

Snyder regularly sent his security team to accompany Griffin when he went out in Washington. Snyder's personal driver was spotted picking up Griffin's then-fiancee (now wife) at road games.

But it wasn't just Snyder's relationship with Griffin that irked Shanahan. It was also the way in which he dealt with employees who had less star power than his star quarterback, sources said. After Kirk Cousins relieved an injured Griffin last December in Cleveland and led Washington to a 38-21 victory over the Browns, players and coaches spotted Snyder standing at the quarterbacks' lockers, talking only to Griffin while, one source said, Snyder "didn't acknowledge" Cousins.

The strain in the Shanahan-Snyder relationship is one of several negative backdrops to a season gone wrong in Washington, and the question now is what happens with Shanahan at season's end.

Those who know him believe that, if he was willing to walk away last season, he might be willing to do the same this offseason. Snyder also could decide to fire him.

Either way, it appears a breakup is inevitable. Shanahan has one year left on his contract, and the Redskins are struggling through a disappointing season at 3-9. As a result of the 2012 trade that allowed the Redskins to draft Griffin, the team doesn't even have a first-round draft pick in 2014. The Rams hold that pick, which, if the season ended Sunday, would be the No. 2 pick overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh my... that's hilarious! Thanks for posting, A55VA6!

That situation is going down in flames.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just do not see this Washington Redskins team winning anymore this season. The only game that would be a possibility would be the Falcons but its a Home game for the Falcons. The NYG could be close but its a game in NY very late in December just seems like the G-men will win easy to me. KC & Dallas will be savage (NPC) losses.

The top five 2013 loosing teams:
Houston 3-13
Washington 3-13
Minn 3-12-1
Atlanta 4-12
Tampa bay 4-12

Maybe Snead & Fisher will contact the Redskins & see if they are interested in their Redskins 2013 first round pick (either #1 overall or #2nd overall). If they are interested this this pick maybe Snead could trade it back to the Skins for three skins first round picks in 2015, 2016 & 2017?????:nau: What would be the chances?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
lol oh Danny boy.

I really want to watch them lose but I'd rather watch the more competitive games...

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ya know Arthur Blank treated Vick pretty special as well,maybe RG has dog fighting in his future:jerkoff:

BTW who can blame Shanny? 14 years 7 coaches and Dan Snyder's NOT THE PROBLEM ??????????????

tonyl711

Starter
you have one of the dumber owners in the NFL catering to a dive overrated QB, putting that QB above anyone else on the team and not even trying to hide the fact that he feels his diva is the only player who matters. you have a HC who hires his son as OC who apparently are finally seeing what a waste of 3 first round draft picks DIVA3 was. can you imagine what the rest of the team is thinking? whats funny is that IMO if they start Cousins in every game this season they win at least 2 or 3 more games.