Tru or JJ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who would you resign in 2016?

• Trumaine Johnson

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • Janoris Jenkins

Votes: 22 34.9%

• Total voters

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru for his length. JJ has not developed to the expected level and still seems to be making the same dumb plays. Tru seems to get better each year. I think they have the money to keep both, but, I think they will move on from JJ and add another young corner to the mix. Tru and EJ as starters on the edge would be a good combo.
What same dumb plays. It's only two touchdowns that he really gave up this year the others was blown coverage and not by jenks. When he plays man to man he locks down. He allows catches because that's the scheme complete short passes but he always makes the tackle. Not to mention Jenks is a Fisher guy through and through he has stayed out of trouble and has been very good. People are in love with Patrick Peterson but to me that's the Same player JJ is.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tru is better at executing the scheme. I love Jenks but until he starts showing some discipline his talent doesn't matter.

It's no mistake that this defense started really coming on as soon as Tru came back...
I really think that's a coincidence. The defense is just on another level the front 7 with is allowing the corners to make more plays like fish said in his press conference if the game was starting tomorrow it would be jenks and Gaines

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I think that you try to keep both by resigning them to long term contract extensions before they become free agents there by alternating who has the bigger cap hit each year.......but I have to believe there is plan in place by Snead to keep as much young talent as possible.
I also believe that good to great cornerbacks are hard to find so if at all possible you keep both.
Go Rams................ ;)

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
What same dumb plays. It's only two touchdowns that he really gave up this year the others was blown coverage and not by jenks.
The big example is biting on a double move and allowing a guy to get behind him to score with 27 seconds left in the half. Yes blame goes to the defensive coordinator/safety for not providing the deep help but it was pretty silly to jump the fake in that situation. Mental mistakes were JJ's big weakness coming into this season and that play just seemed to confirm his stunted development -- that he didn't put in the time in the offseason to fix that, or that he doesn't watch film, or that he lacks the football IQ to understand to change his coverage approach to down/distance/time on the clock. That's a lot to heap into one play but it wasn't in a vacuum, it was after watching that weakness not get fixed his first couple years. Maybe that play was his personal rock bottom as he's certainly appeared to play much better since.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
We still have 18 months including at least 20 regular season games before we need to think about this. Neither of them will command a mid-season contract (e.g. like Robert Quinn). We also need to see how the others grow (Gaines, Joyner, McGee, Roberson, McLeod who could become a nickle corner) before we throw big money at those guys.

That said, I want them both back.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The big example is biting on a double move and allowing a guy to get behind him to score with 27 seconds left in the half. Yes blame goes to the defensive coordinator/safety for not providing the deep help but it was pretty silly to jump the fake in that situation. Mental mistakes were JJ's big weakness coming into this season and that play just seemed to confirm his stunted development -- that he didn't put in the time in the offseason to fix that, or that he doesn't watch film, or that he lacks the football IQ to understand to change his coverage approach to down/distance/time on the clock. That's a lot to heap into one play but it wasn't in a vacuum, it was after watching that weakness not get fixed his first couple years. Maybe that play was his personal rock bottom as he's certainly appeared to play much better since.
Yeah and that's one of the two touchdowns I'm talking about. But people seem to forget that it was his tackling on the outside 5 hat contained ap in the Vikings game. He has been money tackling. He completely shut down James Jones sunday and he gave the Rams a chance to win at San Diego with his touchdown and force fumble. He gives up plays but he certainly isn't the reason why we loose games. Brandon LLOYD is an excellent route runner sometimes you have to say good move instead of JJ being a bad corner or lacking mental awareness or smarts for the game. He has played better than Patrick Peterson and I would have him rated as the 2nd best corner in the NFL west

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It just makes sense to keep both. They were able to sign JL and CL to contract extension at the same time and I think they do that to both of them. To have 2 corners still young and familiar with the defensive scheme is very important if we want to build a dynasty. You keep them both.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/152408/rams-still-sorting-through-cornerbacks

In this article from ESPN they discuss the CB situation. They discuss the shake up due to injury and Gaines being a pleasant surprise. At the end of the article Fisher states that JJ and Gaines has asserted themselves for established roles moving forward. And if he were going to play tomorrow that he would start Gaines and JJ.

Not a complete surprise at this point, Gaines has started over Tru in the past 2-3 games. But a huge surprise considering where we got him and how no one expected this of him. I expect that we keep both, our cap space should increase by then.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd work at keeping both, but have gone with JJ purely because he's a game changer, but like I said work at keeping them both, they both are good and I'd rather them be on our roster than on another teams'....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It will be very hard to sign either of them after looking over the below list. Where you will find some serious key Rams enter free agency in 2016.

Sam Bradford
Michael Brockers
Brian Quick
J. Jenkins
T.Johnson

Kendal Langford
Mark Barron
William Hayes
Scott Wells
Eugene Sims
Chris Givens
JoLunn Dunbar
Benny Cunningham
Daren Bates
Cody Davis

Looks to me that I would center in on addressing well known Ram players like Brockers, Bradfrod, Jenkins & Johnson much earlier if possible. In March of 2015 when free agency starts I would try to plan to get a couple of NON Ram FA OL'ers & stop. Work & plan those current 2015 Ram FA's contracts so you are enabled to be in position the Rams to be in great cap space room for 2016. Meaning some upcoming big hard decisions must be smartly made. You just can't throw big chunks of future cap $$$ for average ORT & TE. 2015 UFA's Hekker, Hill & Barksdale in that order would be my priorities.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yeah and that's one of the two touchdowns I'm talking about. But people seem to forget that it was his tackling on the outside 5 hat contained ap in the Vikings game. He has been money tackling. He completely shut down James Jones sunday and he gave the Rams a chance to win at San Diego with his touchdown and force fumble. He gives up plays but he certainly isn't the reason why we loose games. Brandon LLOYD is an excellent route runner sometimes you have to say good move instead of JJ being a bad corner or lacking mental awareness or smarts for the game. He has played better than Patrick Peterson and I would have him rated as the 2nd best corner in the NFL west
Good points and I would love to be on board with this, I'm just not there yet. You are selling all his good points but the problem is so far in his career those great attributes have only been true part of the time. He's been boom or bust at a position where consistency is very highly valued. And not just in coverage but the tackling you mention as well. He's had bad missed tackle streaks, probably a big reason why he's not a good fit in the slot. And I'm sorry but Brandon Lloyd pretty much sucks ballz, there's no excuse there. With 27 seconds left in the half you simply don't let anyone behind you, be it Lloyd, Megatron, whoever..

Anyway I think we're both focusing too much on one game performances -- you the SD game (his only forced fumble this season), me the SF game (as you point out just one of a couple TDs to hold against him). But you are correct he isn't the reason why we lost games. If he finishes out the season like he's been playing lately then I will be sold.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with everyone who want to keep both, but as bonifay stated above they aren't the only 2 players we need to resign in 2016. As great as JJ's numbers are, Tru's aren't bad either. Tru is the first stat sheet.

Untitled 180.jpg
Untitled 181.jpg

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good points and I would love to be on board with this, I'm just not there yet. You are selling all his good points but the problem is so far in his career those great attributes have only been true part of the time. He's been boom or bust at a position where consistency is very highly valued. And not just in coverage but the tackling you mention as well. He's had bad missed tackle streaks, probably a big reason why he's not a good fit in the slot. And I'm sorry but Brandon Lloyd pretty much sucks ballz, there's no excuse there. With 27 seconds left in the half you simply don't let anyone behind you, be it Lloyd, Megatron, whoever..

Anyway I think we're both focusing too much on one game performances -- you the SD game (his only forced fumble this season), me the SF game (as you point out just one of a couple TDs to hold against him). But you are correct he isn't the reason why we lost games. If he finishes out the season like he's been playing lately then I will be sold.
Yeah that's fair enough.. I don't have a problem with either and my money is that both come back

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am A JJ guy because I think his shortcomings are cured with experience and maturity.

Big Willie

Starter
What same dumb plays. It's only two touchdowns that he really gave up this year the others was blown coverage and not by jenks. When he plays man to man he locks down. He allows catches because that's the scheme complete short passes but he always makes the tackle. Not to mention Jenks is a Fisher guy through and through he has stayed out of trouble and has been very good. People are in love with Patrick Peterson but to me that's the Same player JJ is.

Examples in the following links. He makes big plays, no doubt. I prefer a steady guy who is always where he is supposed to be rather than a guy who makes what I think are mental errors. Also, if you look at his tackles, they have gone down for the last two years. Is that effort? I don't know but it does make me questions some things. Last...I trust Tru to be where he is supposed to be...and I don't trust Jenks. You don't have to agree...but I respect your opinion and I hope you respect mine.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/141444/dez-bryant-gets-payback-vs-janoris-jenkins

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/11/24/7275479/rams-chargers-recap-janoris-jenkins
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14974/janoris-jenkins

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't think it comes down to an either or. I'm betting that they re-sign both of them.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I am A JJ guy because I think his shortcomings are cured with experience and maturity.

While I agree JJ's tendency to gamble can become less likely to lead to a huge pass, I don't think there's anything that can really be changed about his tackling in the future.

Tru is a good coverage corner in his own right, and he can tackle. He might lack the instinct to go for the ball like a guy like JJ, but he is still overall solid(aside from the 2 DPI penalties at SF this season on SF's last series, both of which helped move the ball inside the red zone and 10).

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Examples in the following links. He makes big plays, no doubt. I prefer a steady guy who is always where he is supposed to be rather than a guy who makes what I think are mental errors. Also, if you look at his tackles, they have gone down for the last two years. Is that effort? I don't know but it does make me questions some things. Last...I trust Tru to be where he is supposed to be...and I don't trust Jenks. You don't have to agree...but I respect your opinion and I hope you respect mine.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/141444/dez-bryant-gets-payback-vs-janoris-jenkins

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/11/24/7275479/rams-chargers-recap-janoris-jenkins
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14974/janoris-jenkins
I do respect your opinion. That's The Beauty of this forum to discuss the Rams without personal attacks. Jenkins normally goes against the teams best receivers more than Tru. He has more pass breakups more tackles more defensive touchdowns and 1 less interception than Tru. Last year was a bad year overall with our corner backs and jenkins definitely had a sophomore slump. But this year he has been very steady. Honestly I think Jenkins can become more steady but what he offers now can't be taught

Big Willie

Starter
I do respect your opinion. That's The Beauty of this forum to discuss the Rams without personal attacks. Jenkins normally goes against the teams best receivers more than Tru. He has more pass breakups more tackles more defensive touchdowns and 1 less interception than Tru. Last year was a bad year overall with our corner backs and jenkins definitely had a sophomore slump. But this year he has been very steady. Honestly I think Jenkins can become more steady but what he offers now can't be taught

Do you have a site that shows pass breakups? I was looking for one earlier.