Troy Reeder

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Adams is gonna get his there's no avoiding that. He's one the best in the league. But putting Reeder on him. Inexcusable. At least put Jones on him.
Simply pointing out that “simple” solutions never are in the NFL. Ramsey said as much last week.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Teams are feeding on us underneath. Omitting any pass rush and killing us with long, time killing drives.

Reeder isn't our big issue here.

We're wasting AD and Ramsey.

dang

Legend
Teams are feeding on us underneath. Omitting any pass rush and killing us with long, time killing drives.

And the biggest underneath void is Reeders inability to cover anyone or make an open field tackle. It’s almost as if he is a stationary lamppost that other teams merely have to avoid running into.

Ellard80

Legend
I will say this.. when they went to Ramsey vs Adams that i saw

They were 3/3 or 4/4 - Ramsey didn't cause one incompletion.

Tano

Legend
And the biggest underneath void is Reeders inability to cover anyone or make an open field tackle. It’s almost as if he is a stationary lamppost that other teams merely have to avoid running into.

Reeder could take out eagle fans.

Ellard80

Legend
Green bay was playing mostly zone also - but when they did it seemed at least sometimes their underneath defenders were in a better position to make a play.

RamWoodie

Legend
Let's face it. You can't rely on AD, Ramsey, Floyd, and Miller to make all the plays.

You know you have liabilities with Reeder and Rapp in pass coverage. Those two aren't terrible, but pass coverage just ain't their forte.

Like the Chiefs, the Rams have sacrificed strong defense for offense and it's bitting them in the rear!!!

Shuie3225

Starter

We play deep 2 high safety every snap, so the best way to attack us is running the ball or short throws. It also just so happens the worst players on our defense are our ILB and SS who cant cover or move in space. So teams can attack our biggest weakness, all while reducing the impact of our pass rush, and minimizing the effect of Ramsey. Why would teams do anything else?

Its just a complete failure by Morris and McVay to put our players in the best place to be successful. We will continue to get picked apart underneath in the areas that Reeder and Rapp cover. The absolute worst part is we went into the fucking bye and didn't change a thing. Just a complete total coaching failure which should discourage anyone from thinking this team will be successful this season. Wouldn't be surprised to see this snowball and we miss the playoffs. To me the AZ, SF, MIN, and BAL games are all easy losses. Hard to see us winning those games given how the OL is playing against good teams and now that Stafford is obviously hurt.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We play deep 2 high safety every snap, so the best way to attack us is running the ball or short throws. It also just so happens the worst players on our defense are our ILB and SS who cant cover or move in space. So teams can attack our biggest weakness, all while reducing the impact of our pass rush, and minimizing the effect of Ramsey. Why would teams do anything else?

Its just a complete failure by Morris and McVay to put our players in the best place to be successful. We will continue to get picked apart underneath in the areas that Reeder and Rapp cover. The absolute worst part is we went into the fucking bye and didn't change a thing. Just a complete total coaching failure which should discourage anyone from thinking this team will be successful this season. Wouldn't be surprised to see this snowball and we miss the playoffs. To me the AZ, SF, MIN, and BAL games are all easy losses. Hard to see us winning those games given how the OL is playing against good teams and now that Stafford is obviously hurt.

This is the conversation I'm looking for.
So.. you move Rapp closer to the line? That means you're fundamentally changing what you do to a one-high safety concept. Fuller's really good in his role, he's not a single high safety who can cover ground like Earl Thomas.
They also don't have the corners, outside of Ramsey to leave guys out on an island. Williams had that help over the top last year. That mattered.
What is Morris going to do? Replace Reeder with Howard?

I don't see there being quick fixes to Rapp and Reeder and think that trying to make teams earn it on long drives is actually the best way to stay in games. You move Rapp up and teams are going over the top on this D over and over.

Tano

Legend
This is the conversation I'm looking for.
So.. you move Rapp closer to the line? That means you're fundamentally changing what you do to a one-high safety concept. Fuller's really good in his role, he's not a single high safety who can cover ground like Earl Thomas.
They also don't have the corners, outside of Ramsey to leave guys out on an island. Williams had that help over the top last year. That mattered.
What is Morris going to do? Replace Reeder with Howard?

I don't see there being quick fixes to Rapp and Reeder and think that trying to make teams earn it on long drives is actually the best way to stay in games. You move Rapp up and teams are going over the top on this D over and over.
I would move Rapp up and insert another safety into Rapp's second safety role. Maybe Nick Scott or Burgess (I just don't know what is up with Burgess).

Just go with your primary strengths.

Ramsey and Williams as man to man
Two Deep Safety Zone with Fuller and Scott/Burgess
Rapp playing hybrid safety/linebacker
4 or 5 down linemen (including Floyd/Miller)
1 or 2 linebackers (Reeder only allowed in on 1st down or 2nd and long) - Keep Jones in there on all downs (let's see what he can do - we know what Reeder can do).

That's your base and then mix it up

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So.. you move Rapp closer to the line?
Yes. And insert Terrell Burgess. He was a 3rd round pick... he has to have some talent. He was playing as a rookie until he got hurt last year. I'm not even sure if this is the right move or not, but they have to do something.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree with everything Tano said up there. But I also believe the problems lie with special teams and the OFFENSE!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have read a lot, and there are a lot of great posters in here with more knowledge than me. But I also have an opinion, and I believe it is simply the turnovers that are killing the Rams. Take away the turnovers, and all 3 losses are much closer. And please put Sony Michel in there. Use Henderson solely as a change-of-pace back.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I would move Rapp up and insert another safety into Rapp's second safety role. Maybe Nick Scott or Burgess (I just don't know what is up with Burgess).

Just go with your primary strengths.

Ramsey and Williams as man to man
Two Deep Safety Zone with Fuller and Scott/Burgess
Rapp playing hybrid safety/linebacker
4 or 5 down linemen (including Floyd/Miller)
1 or 2 linebackers (Reeder only allowed in on 1st down or 2nd and long) - Keep Jones in there on all downs (let's see what he can do - we know what Reeder can do).

That's your base and then mix it up

And we've seen how limited Scott is... and Burgess can't even get on the field. While some people are looking at coaching as the issue there, I'd have to ask what information are they basing that on? I mean.. Fuller's taken a full step from last year, so the coaches are doing something right?

So.. your already light LB unit just got lighter and invites more running.
They're already basically running 4 linemen constantly on passing downs.. and didn't get much from it. Heck didn't seem to get much when they rushed 5.

I appreciate the effort.. but nothing on this looks to be a solution to me. Rapp's not good deep.. but relying on more Scott looks like every bit as much of a problem.

Oh.. and teams scheme off the man thing all the time. You can try to match up, but it doesn't always work. Look at how GB got Adams open on the goal line against Ramsey in the playoffs last year... because Scott didn't know his assignment (or at least that's what Ramsey's reaction would suggest).

Williams isn't showing me anything to believe putting him on an island is a good idea this year. This goes to my point... last year... teams knew JJ was coming over the top.. so Williams had help there and could play the shorter stuff better. Now? You want to count on Scott deep? Isn't that what happened with the long ball to Adams yesterday?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Playing the corners ten yards off is wasting the investment we have in the DL.

They need to press and at least make opposing teams think about holding the ball longer to allow our guys a chance to get hits on QB and sacks.

They can’t continue to play this weak soft coverage, it isn’t stopping anyone.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I have read a lot, and there are a lot of great posters in here with more knowledge than me. But I also have an opinion, and I believe it is simply the turnovers that are killing the Rams. Take away the turnovers, and all 3 losses are much closer. And please put Sony Michel in there. Use Henderson solely as a change-of-pace back.
Man after my own heart.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yes. And insert Terrell Burgess. He was a 3rd round pick... he has to have some talent. He was playing as a rookie until he got hurt last year. I'm not even sure if this is the right move or not, but they have to do something.
That's the thing.. is "doing something" going to make it better... or worse?

I don't think for a second that Morris is the only guy making the call on something like that. Burgess ain't showing anything, otherwise he'd be playing. They dumped Long because he wasn't playing well, so I don't think it's that they don't recognize problems.