Trent to the colts for 1st round pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
max said:
Why didn't other teams offer a 1st round pick?

We were told that Fisher loved TR and wanted him at the top of the draft last year. Yet, we didn't offer a 1st rounder for him since the Browns would have preferred ours to Indys.

What I'm hearing is that the 2014 draft is loaded and not many teams are willing to part with picks.

Exactly. 2014 is one of the strongest classes to come out in recent memory, and it'll be even stronger if certain players decide to declare.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
<a class="postlink" href="http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26763&st=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index. ... 26763&st=0</a> what browns fans have to say

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 2

V3

Hall of Fame
Wow. Just wow.

I wonder what this means for his fantasy production? He's on my team. :?!:

Lesson

Oh, really?
I like what Indy's doing, and I think the Browns are stupid for giving up on him so quickly.

Sadly, Trent may very well become just another RB due to Indy's OL.

V3

Hall of Fame
Lesson said:
I like what Indy's doing, and I think the Browns are stupid for giving up on him so quickly.

I think they're smart. They should have never taken a RB that early in the draft. He's good but he wasn't worth the third pick in the draft. They now get to use their pick on a more valuable position.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Rabid Ram said:
max said:
Why didn't other teams offer a 1st round pick?

We were told that Fisher loved TR and wanted him at the top of the draft last year. Yet, we didn't offer a 1st rounder for him since the Browns would have preferred ours to Indys.

What I'm hearing is that the 2014 draft is loaded and not many teams are willing to part with picks.
Might have been the browns dealing directly with indy figuring they would get the best deal with their starting rb went down

Nah. Browns would want the best deal by floating TR out there to see who offered the best deal. These guys all talk to each other. The phones are always working.

The Browns know that Indy's first round pick is likely to be a low one. They would have preferred a first rounder from at least 20 other teams. My guess is that most other teams only offered a 2nd rounder.

Lesson

Oh, really?
V3 said:
Lesson said:

I think they're smart. They should have never taken a RB that early in the draft. He's good but he wasn't worth the third pick in the draft. They now get to use their pick on a more valuable position.

They're bailing on a RB that isn't even in his 2nd year. That team has talent. It wouldn't have shocked me if they made the POs within 2 or 3 seasons. But it seems that they are bailing on the current roster, including Weeden, with this move.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Wow that press conference was like pulling teeth the way they were not really answering any questions not sure why the even held one

WvuIN02

Starter
V3 said:
Lesson said:

Agreed.

If you spend a freaking top 5 pick on a RB, he better be AP 2.0 and TR was not that.

It was a dumb pick to begin with when you look at how many insanely productive backs in the NFL were drafted in much later rounds. The Colts OL is atrocious and Irsay looks like an idiot yet again. Luck and TR are going to get murdered behind that OL.

It doesnt make up for the terrible pick for TR in the first place, but its a smart move from Cleveland imo.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I thought you guys were just yanking chains for some lulz, to see that it's actually serious.

Dear lord, I thought they got new ownership to take care of their laughable situation. Not make it worse.

God it must be eternal suffering being a Cleveland fan.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
bluecoconuts said:
Browns got hosed, what a weird trade, why even do it?

Not really and they may come out of this smelling like a rose. He is an injury waiting to happen and wasn't performing much better than the backups. He wasn't worth the pick used on him and probably won't be worth the pick the Colts traded for him.

Being from CLE I want the Browns to do well second only of course to the Rams. This won't likely be a bad deal for them.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
bluecoconuts said:

Not really and they may come out of this smelling like a rose. He is an injury waiting to happen and wasn't performing much better than the backups. He wasn't worth the pick used on him and probably won't be worth the pick the Colts traded for him.

Being from CLE I want the Browns to do well second only of course to the Rams. This won't likely be a bad deal for them.
My first reaction when I heard it was that he was probably grossly underachieving , ya gotta hand Indy this they are not a franchise afraid to deal .

WvuIN02

Starter
The problem was that with no passing threat in Cleveland, he wasnt going to do much there. With a mobile QB I guess thinking on it more I could see it being good, esp since he has good hands.

How this plays out will depend on what Cleveland does with the pick. If they use it as ammo to get a guy like Teddy Bridgewater who ends up as a great NFL QB, then it will have been worth it. The Browns have been a comedy of errors, but this seems like a way to mitigate the bad pick in the first place.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Thordaddy said:
LesBaker said:
bluecoconuts said:

My first reaction when I heard it was that he was probably grossly underachieving , ya gotta hand Indy this they are not a franchise afraid to deal .

Trent Richardson will thrive on the Colts imo.

There's a difference between having Weeden and having Luck. Everybody stacks the box in Cleveland and Weeden still can't get anything accomplished, so they just stack the box more. Probably why Richardson hasn't had much success as he should. Hard to run when there's 5 guys waiting to crack you immediately.

The high vaunted pass offense of the Colts should open up some field for Richardson to run all over. I really think he's gonna explode and that the Browns have again hobbled themselves for the future.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/18/browns-lose-13-8-million-save-6-6-million-on-richardson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ichardson/</a>
Browns lose $13.8 million, save $6.6 million on Richardson trade
We’ve looked at the stunning Trent Richardson trade from the Browns’ perspective, we’ll soon look at it from the Colts’ perspective.

For now, let’s look at it from the money perspective.

Per a source with knowledge of Richardson’s contract, the Browns avoid $6.6 million in future payments by trading Richardson. All of the money is fully guaranteed, with no offset language. Which means the cash will be getting paid in full.

The Browns already have paid Richardson $13.8 million, via his signing bonus ($13.3 million), his 2012 base salary ($390,000), and two game checks under his 2013 base salary ($1.327 million).

Richardson counts for roughly $3.5 million against the Browns’ cap in 2013. Come next year, the Browns will absorb a cap charge of $6.67 million.

It’s a lot of money to pay for 17 games, but it’s a lot less than they would have paid under the pre-2011 rookie compensation system, which would have made the trade impossible, given the cap hit.

I wonder if the owner of the Browns needs money because of his legal troubles.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
There's a lesson here. More than one, actually.

You don't draft a RB #3 overall.

I remember all the talk about the Browns taking Tannehill but he wasn't a good value at #3 overall. Guess that was wrong. Now the Browns are still looking for a QB in what seems like forever. If you like a QB, you take him and you don't worry about whether he is good value at #3 or #7.

There was talk that Fisher wanted TR, but he would never last until #6. Well, I'm glad he didn't.

You don't draft a RB at #6 overall either.

And oh yeah, that idiot Holmgrem actually trade up a spot to make sure he got TR. I think he actually gave up a 3rd round pick to do it. What a moron.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just in time for him to have a 100+ yard game against the hated ones. :twisted:

V3

Hall of Fame
WvuIN02 said:
The problem was that with no passing threat in Cleveland, he wasnt going to do much there. With a mobile QB I guess thinking on it more I could see it being good, esp since he has good hands.

How this plays out will depend on what Cleveland does with the pick. If they use it as ammo to get a guy like Teddy Bridgewater who ends up as a great NFL QB, then it will have been worth it. The Browns have been a comedy of errors, but this seems like a way to mitigate the bad pick in the first place.

Unless Cleveland gets the first pick, they aren't getting Bridgewater. Whoever gets that pick is taking him and they aren't going to trade it away.

My guess right now would be that Jacksonville will be picking #1 and they aren't going to trade it away. That franchise is desperate for a franchise player even more than Cleveland.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In a perfect world, the Skins season falls apart. RGIII can't stay healthy so they shelve him for the year. Cousins struggles getting healthy and then just plays poorly. So they are then left with Grossman and thus Shanahan's and the Skins season goes south resulting in a 2 win season and the #1 pick.

Now Cleveland offers both #1s again, but the Rams take 3 #1's from the Jags instead leaving the Browns holding the bag once again as the factory of sadness lives up to its billing. Now that would be awsome.