TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Broncos Head Coach John Fox and LB Von Miller (11-12-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Broncos Head Coach John Fox and LB Von Miller (11-12-14)

Broncos Head Coach John Fox – Conference Call – November 12, 2014

(On what still amazes him about Broncos QB Peyton Manning)
“I just think the way he prepares himself, whether it’s physically, whether it’s mentally. He has a ‘raise all boats’ type of approach. It’s been huge for our offense. I think what he’s accomplished kind of speaks for itself. Coming off a year of not playing football, stepping into a new organization after being with one team for so long and the same teammates for so long. His ability to adjust and change and do it in a new place is pretty remarkable in my estimation.”

(On the biggest challenges that the Rams present)
“First of all I think I’ve competed against (Head Coach) Jeff Fisher for a long time. I know what a tremendous coach he is and motivator he is. A lot of times people on the outside look at records and all that kind of stuff. When you’ve done this as long as either one of us have, we look at the tape. I see a very athletic defense that’s improved and done really well over the last four games. I think they’re leading the league in negative plays from scrimmage. I know they did a great job in the kicking game. I know Coach (John) Fassel is the special teams coach, but I just know Jeff’s background, in that area so the problems they create, whether it’s onside kicks, fakes, whatever. Yes, it’ll be a huge test on the road, like they all are.”

(On how much the Rams’ quarterback change to Shaun Hill affects them on Sunday)
“We kind of heard grumblings and what not, but their offense doesn’t change. You go back, you watch the first half of that opener against Minnesota, their design and what they’re doing is different. They’re just trying to change it up. Shaun’s been a guy, his history has been to make good decisions, not force throws. I’m not saying anything negative about (Rams QB Austin) Davis. I just know Shaun’s ‘M.O.’ We’ve got guys on the staff that actually coached him, so there’s familiarity there.”

(On his overall thoughts on the Rams defense)
“Earlier I made mention of...you look at the athleticism and the ability to penetrate and that’s with one of their first rounders out. You look at inside and outside with (DE Robert) Quinn and (LB Alec) Ogletree. They’ve stockpiled some really good young players. They got their corner back. So, we’re expecting a very athletic, aggressive style. I’ve known (Defensive Coordinator) Gregg Williams for many years. I competed against him when I was in Carolina and he was in New Orleans. They’re an aggressive style of defense and they’re doing it with very athletic players.”

(On Denver’s defense)
“It will be a huge test. I think St. Louis’ scheme in the run game’s very good, some of the different style of runs, the boots off of those and how we fit. It’ll be as good a test as we’ve had over the last month or so. That should be a pretty good matchup.”

(On if his new defense has surprised him at all with the changes he’s made)
“We’re a work in progress just like everybody. We just passed half way a week ago. I still think we’ve got room to improve. Pretty satisfied with where we are, just with the mindset of getting better as we move forward.”

(On Broncos LB Von Miller and how he’s bounced back from last season’s knee injury)
“Anytime a player comes off an ACL, it’s a tribute to their work ethic and their toughness just because that’s not an easy injury to come off of. Von was no different in that he worked very hard in this offseason, even throughout the training camp as well as the preseason games, the early season. He’s done very well with it.”

(On if he expected to be 7-2 record at this point)
“You go into every game and if you play nine, you want to be 9-0. The reality is it’s only been done once in the history of the league, to go undefeated. Again, the most important one’s the next one and that’d be the St. Louis Rams.”

(On if RB Montee Ball is going to play in front of his hometown fans)
“He’s on the 53-man roster, so there’s always that possibility.”

(On if Ball is getting closer to returning to play)
“Yeah. He practiced last week. We thought it might have been a little too early a week ago. We’ll evaluate that and announce that an hour and a half before kickoff.”

Broncos LB Von Miller - Conference Call - November, 12 2014

(On the Broncos defense)
“I feel like we still haven’t got to playing the type of football that we know we’re capable of playing. We had a three-game stretch, I feel like we’re getting better and better every week. Our run defense is probably our identity right now. A good first- and second-down defense makes a good third-down defense. I think we’re just starting to get better, preparing for this stretch that we’ve got coming up.”

(On if it affects the team at all that the Rams changed quarterbacks with the way they game plan)
“No. Not to me. It really doesn’t matter who the quarterback is. Try to go in the game... I can’t speak for the DB’s or all those guys, but for myself, I just try play with a fanatic effort, just get to the ball. Try to play the game without any mental errors, play at a good fast pace, just take advantage of my opportunities.”

(On if the defense gets overlooked because of offensive production)
“We have a great team attitude here. It doesn’t matter about whose getting the attention or not. We’re winning games and that is what’s the most important thing.”

(On his injury last year)
“Last year was tough. I think adversity definitely reveals character. I think I handled all the adversity I had last year to the best of my ability. It just helped me get my priorities straight. Helped me really understand my why, ‘Why am I playing football?’ And it’s because I have the opportunity to be one of the best to ever do it. That’s where my mind is at. It feels good just to be able to focus on football and nothing else. That’s where my mind is at right now.”

(On how hard it was to sit and watch the Super Bowl last year)
“I had time to prepare. I had surgery. I had torn my ACL back in December, so I had a little bit of time to kind of get ready for it. Not being out there with my team, it’s always hard. I didn’t go out to New York until Thursday. I was already away from my team and I just made a vow to myself that I was going to come back. I was going to do everything in my power to help us get back there so I could play in it.”

(On how much the offseason moves for the defense improved the unit)
“I think the names speak for themselves. We got (CB) Aqib Talib, (S) T.J. Ward and (DE) DeMarcus Ware. All those guys are contributing. They help put us in a great position. Our defense, the numbers speak for themselves.”

(On if he and Ware have a friendly sack competition going on)
“I wouldn’t say… the media’s blown it out of proportion. We’ve got a healthy work-minded relationship. Every day he pushes me. I go out there and push him. It’s all healthy and it’s helping our team. I enjoy DeMarcus. I love coming to work every single day, being around him and watching the way he prepares and I think it’s helped me with my game as well.”

(On if there was ever doubt with him that he’d make it back from the ACL injury in time for the start of the season)
“With a torn ACL, it’s a lot of doubt. A lot of doubt around your whole career. It’s just what ACL surgery is. I stayed true to my faith. I really believed in myself. I worked hard to have myself in the type of situation I am in now. I just trust God. I just kept praying and just took it one day at a time.”

(On him helping 49ers LB Aldon Smith get though his suspension while he’s waiting to get back on the field)
“I think the hard part for Aldon is over and down with. I think the suspension part is…the hardest part is just the games. Not being around your guys. But after that it’s like a huge lift just off your shoulders. He doesn’t have to worry about anything else, but playing football and that really helps you get everything in perspective. Like I had said before, ‘What really means the most to you?’ I know Aldon feels the same way - it’s all about football. I think when he comes back, his play is going to speak for itself. For how many games that he’s missed, he played in 43 games and he has 42 sacks. His play has spoken for itself and I feel like when he comes back with this huge weight being lifted off his shoulders, his play will get even better.”

(On if there was anybody there for him when he was in that situation a year ago)
“My whole team was there for me. My whole team and my coaches and everybody. Their confidence just, it just helped me come back and want to help those guys.”

(On what he sees in the Rams and what they have to do to shut them down)
“We’ve got to play our game. If you look at their last four games they’re 2-2. They’ve played some really good teams and fought those teams really hard. They have a talented team. It’s the National Football League. (WR) Chris Givens, (WR) Kenny Britt, (TE Jared) Cook. They have a solid offensive line, quarterback. I haven’t seen the quarterback play, but I’m sure he’s going to be ready to go in the type of scheme that they play. (Head Coach Jeff) Coach Fisher he always has a competitive team and we’re going in this week just to go out there and play our game.”

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
(On what he sees in the Rams and what they have to do to shut them down)
“We’ve got to play our game. If you look at their last four games they’re 2-2. They’ve played some really good teams and fought those teams really hard. They have a talented team. It’s the National Football League. (WR) Chris Givens, (WR) Kenny Britt, (TE Jared) Cook. They have a solid offensive line, quarterback. I haven’t seen the quarterback play, but I’m sure he’s going to be ready to go in the type of scheme that they play. (Head Coach Jeff) Coach Fisher he always has a competitive team and we’re going in this week just to go out there and play our game.”

He says we have a talented team and the first guy he mentions is Chris Givens?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Truth is they're not even remotely concerned with the Rams offense. Only thing they have to do is stop the run and make the Rams offense drive the entire field, waiting for them to self-destruct. Easy.

Defensively is a different story, as the Rams are very threatening. They're playing great defense right now and actually getting better week by week. Manning is like any QB, hit him and sack him you can scramble him up and slow their offense. Rams have the talent and scheme to do that.

Still, the Broncos are the most balanced team the Rams have faced yet. Even if they play their best defensively I'd give them maybe a 5% chance to win this game. They're gonna get at least a few TDs, so it's gonna take a full team effort from the Rams to knock them off, all three phases working together.