Training Camp (TUE Aug-15)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter

What in the world? The defense dominated the practice other than a two-minute drive by Goff, and about 50 yds. gained by the second-team offense. There were too many interceptions, Goff muffed a snap, there was a false start by Sammy Watkins, and just way too many miscues by the offense for my taste. The offense seemed to take a step back from several days ago when Goff was hitting everything.

A55VA6

Legend
This one's against Troy Hill, so it doesn't really count. He's really the Jason Sehorn-Travis Fisher-Tye Hill-Justin King-Coty Sensabaugh-Craig Dahl of this team.
Yeah, but Watkins made it look way too easy.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
So strange. We get all these tweets about how good the offense is good, then our live watch members come in and say the opposite. And then same thing for the defense haha. I guess you have to take tweets with a grain of salt.
@JackDRams , what I'm seeing from the tweets is the good stuff. There was some good stuff, don't get me wrong but we (@theduke) saw this a lot especially during the two minute drill.

Just our observations and like we always say, we are not pro coordinators or scouts. It's something that is concerning us. Let's keep an eye on it Saturday and see if it changes.

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter
I agree, it's just plenty of others QBs that could never overcome that rookie season too

This is a good point. Many, many rookie quarterbacks have had terrible first years. We can't point to the one guy who bucked the trend as evidence of why Goff is like Peyton Manning. I really hope he does become one of the best ever.

But as @VeteranRamFan said at practice, "At this point, I just hope he turns into Alex Smith."

Ram65

Legend
I never expected him to be polished up at this stage of camp where he's looking hard to the left and visualizing the entire route tree in his head before he looks quickly to the middle of the field and then to his right before he fires a strike.

I'm trying to figure out how many QBs do that on a regular basis. It takes time with everyone on the same page. Well, it is hard to ignore our local posters reports. I hope you are right here.

I do expect the polished part of his game to come along much more in the final 8 or 9 days of practice when the real preparation for the opener begins.

When McVay game plans for the Colts and #16 gets the majority of all the reps and then gets in the man cave (film room) with McVay, the fine tuning that happens then, is something that fans won't get to witness like the practices that have been open to the public.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
This is a good point. Many, many rookie quarterbacks have had terrible first years. We can't point to the one guy who bucked the trend as evidence of why Goff is like Peyton Manning. I really hope he does become one of the best ever.

But as @VeteranRamFan said at practice, "At this point, I just hope he turns into Alex Smith."

Just Alex Smith? I don't think an Alex Smith type of QB is worth what we gave up to select Goff then. I was so pumped for this offense. It will suck if Goff holds them back.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Let's

As you very well know, he's still sharing many of the reps at this stage of camp while working on fundamentals. He's also still building chemistry with the different allotment of pass catchers vs live defenses.

There is no doubt he's been hot and cold processing the playbook language and route trees in McVay's offense as some have expressed what they've witnessed in practice.

I never expected him to be polished up at this stage of camp where he's looking hard to the left and visualizing the entire route tree in his head before he looks quickly to the middle of the field and then to his right before he fires a strike.

We may even see some blunders at Oakland this Saturday but that will be the first real test and body of work that McVay & LeFleur will have to go on as they get him up to speed with each new offensive series leading up to Week 1.

I do expect the polished part of his game to come along much more in the final 8 or 9 days of practice when the real preparation for the opener begins.

When McVay game plans for the Colts and #16 gets the majority of all the reps and then gets in the man cave (film room) with McVay, the fine tuning that happens then, is something that fans won't get to witness like the practices that have been open to the public.

I could be wrong about this and he's just too far behind schedule from where he should be...

Until I see with my own eyes what some are concerned about when he's under center during the first few games of the regular season, I'm holding steadfast with my theory.

Jared-Goff-LA-Rams-vs-Cowboys.jpg
@Florida_Ram , very good assessment. This all sounds logical as does what another poster stated that the D should be picking up on his tendencies by now.

I"m not trying to preach doom and gloom and I truly want Goff and the Rams to succeed.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
@Florida_Ram , very good assessment. This all sounds logical as does what another poster stated that the D should be picking up on his tendencies by now.

I"m not trying to preach doom and gloom and I truly want Goff and the Rams to succeed.

I already feel doom and gloom after yesterday and today's camp report :death:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF

This. Goff is going up against a very good D, top 10 good without Donald. Hopefully the coaches are able to be MINDFUL of his tendencies and see what the D sees.

As far as him pumping, I saw that on the Watkins fade. It was actually necessary to freeze the CB and allow SW to stutter step and create separation from man defense.

However, I'm fairly concerned if he's doing this against zone or double coverage where a "tip" will give a decided advantage to the defense. Especially when there's an extra defender in the vicinity.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Goff's problems weren't going to go away after one offseason. He may still be fine but he's gonna have a rocky year. My only question is if it's a rocky year on the way to bigger things or if it's a sign of things to come.

Thinking the kid is gonna pass for 4000 yards and 20 odd touchdowns with single digit interceptions is just asking too much of him in his second year after what he showed last year.
Your on @WestCoastRam

Goff throws 4,100 yds. 22tds (not going there with single digit picks. I say he throws 12). You on? :rant:

Last edited:

Rambo

UDFA
It may take a while for the O to gel with Wadkins being a new receiver. That could have been the problem today. It changes the whole depth chart so it sort of throws things out of whack for a awhile until everybody gets use to it.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

Good point. Also, there is a big difference between Goff's intro to the NFL and Manning's: Manning was heralded as one of the most pro ready QBs at that time, Goff came from a different system and would require time to acclimate himself to a "Pro Style" system. Manning played all 16 games of his rookie year, Goff played only 7 and some(here) still think of him as a rookie, and Manning had the same staff going into his 2nd season (Arians was his QB coach), Goff had the Fisher offense his first year and has to learn a whole new one. I think Goff will definitely improve this season, but I'm not expecting anything major from him. Year 3 I think will be his big leap.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
A lot of pessimism on this board these past few days vs Jared Goff. Some are blissfully unaware of the negativity they spread.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Out of how many passes ?

50 ?

100 ?

i think people freak out too much about interceptions during camp, especially when they're working on a new offense. that's what camp is for, you make mistakes and learn from them, hoping you don't make them again.