Training Camp - Day 4 (Aug-01)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2D01F431-30EB-4E89-89D2-CC06D3C75337_zpsayd77it8.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Training-Camp-Report-Everything-You-Need-to-Know-From-Day-3/83204d26-3d40-4090-b651-be56326569a7

Training Camp Report: Everything You Need to Know From Day 3

On Monday afternoon, the players took the field once again for their third practice. The Rams worked without pads again and kept practice light, ending about fifteen minutes early. The first practice in full pads will be tomorrow afternoon.

Though it was a work day for many fans, the players did not let it bring them down, having fun and looking energetic throughout the practice. Here’s a look at Day 3 of Rams Camp:

TOP TAKEAWAYS
1. Vets day off

In preparation for the Rams first day in full pads tomorrow, a number of players received a veterans day off from practice. Offensive linemen Andrew Whitworth and Roger Saffold, as well as linebacker Connor Barwin were among those players.

But it wasn't completely a day off for these guys. Whitworth, Saffold, and Barwin could be seen on the sidelines coaching up many of the Rams’ younger players throughout the individual, 7-on-7, and 11-on-11 portions of the day.

The entire team took the time to focus on technique and fundamentals at today’s practice, a pointed effort by head coach Sean McVay in anticipation for tomorrow’s full pads.

“Going into training camp, Reggie Scott and Ted Rath — our strength and conditioning coach and then [Scott], obviously, our head athletic trainer — they did a great job setting up the plan where, we had targeted some guys just being mindful of their workload,” McVay said. “Especially with going into pads tomorrow, I wanted to be smart. We’re kind of in the three-day progression, so this was really our third day and then the fourth day, we’ll ramp it back up getting into the pads for the first time.”

2. Now it’s real football

Though there won’t be any live periods in tomorrow’s practice where players are tackling to the ground, McVay says the pads will give a better indication as to how the team is progressing overall.

“I think a lot of the things that occur especially at the line of scrimmage are definitely different based on just being able to get your hands inside and some of the fits and things that occur,” he said on the addition of full pads. “That’s how we play the game and that’s where really us as coaches get the best evaluation for what type of players that we do have and there’s a little bit more physicality, while also being smart protecting each other.”

This will be McVay’s first time seeing the team in full pads, as the players cannot practice with them in the offseason program. It will give many players on the roster the chance to fully compete in front of their new head coach and will be a necessary step in preparing them for preseason games coming up in August.

3. Goff looking better everyday:

Quarterback Jared Goff has continued to improve after three days of training camp. Though he described his first day of camp as “up and down,” Goff’s progression has been steady over the last two days. During Monday’s practice the quarterback looked sharp, connecting with a variety of receivers and appearing assertive as a leader.

In particular, Goff showcased his budding chemistry with wide receivers Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods. During the 7-on-7 portion, Goff connected with Kupp on a perfect pass up the middle hitting his receiver right in the numbers. Later in the day, Goff held his own in the pocket, connecting with Woods on a drive downfield.

In yesterday’s #RamsCamp Live, Goff described his growing confidence on field and his budding chemistry with the new receiving core.

“I felt good,” he said. “There’s some things you want back and there’s some things you feel good about, [and] I think always you’re trying to get better. Practice is the time to make some mistakes sometimes, but yeah I’m more comfortable with the setting. I have been here before and I understand my way around here.”

“It’s been a lot of fun. I think guys like Robert and guys like Cooper who are new, getting as much work as I can with them in the offseason has been huge,” he continued. “Where we are now is a really good spot.”

FIELD-LEVEL OBSERVATIONS
- Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was absent from the practice field dealing with a personal matter at home, according to McVay. He will return to camp tonight.

- Fans got the first glimpse at John Fassel’s special team’s unit with Johnny Hekker working on punts, Greg Zuerlein taking point-after kicks, and wide receiver Tavon Austin featured as the primary returner.

- Tight end Tyler Higbee also saw a lot of action today. Goff connected with Higbee multiple times during the 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 portions of practice. He should play a primary role in the offense throughout the upcoming season.

- Veteran linebacker Robert Quinn took the time to break it down on the field, with a few dance moves alongside defensive end Dominique Easley.

- In what is becoming a familiar trend, fullback Sam Rogers was the first player out on the field. His hard work before and after practice has paid off so far as he has impressed many with several juke moves in the last two days.

- Cornerback Dominique Hatfield had a productive practice, at one point recording a clean deflection off of a deep pass to Brandon Shippen.

PLAY OF THE DAY
The big play of the day came from cornerback E.J. Gaines who caught an interception from a ball that went off the hands of wiedeout Pharoh Cooper. Gaines in for a would-be pick six, exciting the crowd and eliciting a few chants from the defensive players on the sidelines.

After missing the entire 2015 season due to injury and being plagued by various lower body injuries last year, the cornerback is looking to stage a comeback this season. He will be competing for a starting role with newcomer Kayvon Webster.

PRESS POINTS
After practice coach McVay took the time to address the media and poked fun at his ability to protect in the pass rush. Catch up on his most interesting point after Day 3:

SEAN McVAY:

On how he would rate his performance covering receivers thus far: “Well, smart exit angles. That is about it. If I know the route beforehand I can run to the spot, so it’s very clear why I am a coach. It is just fun to move around out here with the guys and kind of be interactive and try to give them a look to where you are just trying to match and have somebody just running with you, but the guys have fun with it.”

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams Will Hold First Padded Practice on Tuesday

By Myles Simmons

For as many times as the words “Football is back” have been said, written, and tweeted going back to April, you’d think we might be in Week 7 by now. Of course, in reality players have only been in helmets, jerseys, and shorts since the start of Phase III in the offseason program.

That’s why upon saying Tuesday will mark the Rams’ first practice in pads, head coach Sean McVay declared, “Now it’s real football.”

“I think a lot of the things that occur, especially at the line of scrimmage, are definitely different based on just being able to get your hands inside and some of the fits and things that occur,” McVay said. “That’s how we play the game and that’s where really us as coaches get the best evaluation for what type of players that we do have and how they play when we put the pads on. And there’s a little bit more physicality, while also being smart protecting each other. So, we’re looking forward to it and I think the players are as well.”

McVay alluded to it there, but part of the reason padded practices are closer to “real football” is because of how it affects both both the offensive and defensive lines. Without pads, players can improve their technique with their hands and feet. But there’s no substitute for those padded reps — both for player improvement as well as evaluation.

But McVay mentioned on Saturday that skill-position players also have to make adjustments when the pads come on.

“Being able to do some different things and carrying those pads especially when you’re throwing the football or catching it — it creates a different reaction and guys have to get comfortable doing that because that’s how we play on Sundays,” McVay said.

And so that’s what they will begin to do on Tuesday. But McVay said he and the rest of the coaching staff will be aware of players being amped up to put on pads for the first time in about eight months.

“Part of being a pro is knowing how to practice smart and be able to practice fast, but also still protecting your teammates and being mindful that we’re all on the same team,” McVay said. “Certain periods we’ll pick and choose where we turn it up a little bit, but our guys have done a nice job of competing without the pads and we expect the same tomorrow when we put them on.”

McVay said L.A. will not do anything that’s fully “live” with tackling during Tuesday’s practice. But even when they do, getting in good work while making sure players stay as safe as possible.

“I think it’s that ‘thud’ and being able to fit guys up and things like that and protecting your teammates, but you want to try to keep guys off the ground where, some of those piles and things like that can occur where guys get rolled up on,” McVay said. “So, we want to try to avoid that, but still get it as much as a game like atmosphere as we can.”

[www.therams.com]

Psycho_X

Legend
If Trujo really wants to stay in LA he's losing leverage with every play Gaines makes this season. I hope he can stay healthy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“Going into training camp, Reggie Scott and Ted Rath — our strength and conditioning coach and then [Scott], obviously, our head athletic trainer — they did a great job setting up the plan where, we had targeted some guys just being mindful of their workload,” McVay said. “Especially with going into pads tomorrow, I wanted to be smart. We’re kind of in the three-day progression, so this was really our third day and then the fourth day, we’ll ramp it back up getting into the pads for the first time.”
I like This ^^!! Todays going to be a Fun day!!:D

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I have baseball tonight, so I'll miss practice and won't be able to post tweet updates. Sorry guys. Next man up, mentality lol

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This will be McVay’s first time seeing the team in full pads, as the players cannot practice with them in the offseason program
This ^^ makes no sense to me, How are players supposed to get into Football shape with rules like this!!o_O:puke:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
SEAN McVAY:

On how he would rate his performance covering receivers thus far: “Well, smart exit angles. That is about it. If I know the route beforehand I can run to the spot, so it’s very clear why I am a coach.
I love this quote of how McVay analyzed his own play in practice!!:D " .. smart exit angles ..":rolllaugh:

KOWALSKI

Rookie
goff better every day?
wtf?
he looked like utter shit yesterday.
now they start lying for him. that's not a good sign.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
goff better every day?
wtf?
he looked like utter crap yesterday.
now they start lying for him. that's not a good sign.

Did you get to see practice?

According to all the reports from people there, and tweets from our own members, he was very good in the short to intermediate game, and bad on the long ball.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
3. Goff looking better everyday:

Quarterback Jared Goff has continued to improve after three days of training camp. Though he described his first day of camp as “up and down,” Goff’s progression has been steady over the last two days. During Monday’s practice the quarterback looked sharp, connecting with a variety of receivers and appearing assertive as a leader.

In particular, Goff showcased his budding chemistry with wide receivers Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods. During the 7-on-7 portion, Goff connected with Kupp on a perfect pass up the middle hitting his receiver right in the numbers. Later in the day, Goff held his own in the pocket, connecting with Woods on a drive downfield.
Thank_5e2100_1269471.gif

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
In what is becoming a familiar trend, fullback Sam Rogers was the first player out on the field. His hard work before and after practice has paid off so far as he has impressed many with several juke moves in the last two days.
Jeff Fisher favorite Corey Harkey = cut

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale

He did not look as good to me as he did on Sunday. Yes he connected on some short routes, but some were thrown behind receivers, low and away or too high. Not all were bad, but like I said. I thought he was much sharper on Sunday.

Ram65

Legend
Goff’s progression has been steady over the last two days. During Monday’s practice the quarterback looked sharp, connecting with a variety of receivers and appearing assertive as a leader.

In particular, Goff showcased his budding chemistry with wide receivers Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods. During the 7-on-7 portion, Goff connected with Kupp on a perfect pass up the middle hitting his receiver right in the numbers. Later in the day, Goff held his own in the pocket, connecting with Woods on a drive downfield

The big play of the day came from cornerback E.J. Gaines who caught an interception from a ball that went off the hands of wiedeout Pharoh Cooper. Gaines in for a would-be pick six, exciting the crowd and eliciting a few chants from the defensive players on the sidelines.

Did you get to see practice?

According to all the reports from people there, and tweets from our own members, he was very good in the short to intermediate game, and bad on the long ball.

I'll take that. It didn't read like he had a very good day yesterday. Didn't know the INT was off Cooper's hand so that's not Goff's fault. The missed long throws seem to get the most attention. A few dropped passes too. Glad it was a considered a good day for Goff.

Last edited: