Trade candidates at QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
So, what's available or who might you be interested in helping shore up the QB position from a trade position?

Zach Mettenberger - He looked like he could be an average starter in the NFL last season with no support from team, didn't do anything at all this season in spot starts for Mariota. Is there something there?

Chase Daniels - Andy Reid made him the highest paid backup QB in the NFL at one point, I thought. He's not a guy who's gonna win you games but he's a pretty good West-Coast-Offense type QB with good accuracy and athleticism to make something happen when the play breaks down (and with as conservative an offense as Fisher runs, you almost have to have a guy who can make plays with his legs to give the offense more opportunities). (Actually, Daniel's may be a FA this season).

Ryan Tannehill - they may not want to part with him and his contract looks large. He's got talent, is he worth reclaiming?

Jimmy Garopallo - Can't imagine the Pats parting with him for anything but more than what he's worth... but maybe. The guy seems like he's got some talent.

Matt Mcgloin - he's short, he made some noise in preseason. He did kinda meh when he spot started for Derek Carr. Is he worth a look?

Ryan Nassib - He's Eli's backup and Eli's career has a ticking clock attached to it now. He was all over draft boards a few years ago when he was coming out. Not much of a sample size in spot starts to judge him.

I didn't include Brees cause it just doesn't look like he's going anywhere.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Matthew Stafford, Detroit is in an interesting spot, he has 2 years let at high dollars. Probably wont resign. Would they take 2 firsts for him. Maybe the take foles back as part of the trade.

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Daniels or Mettenburg are the only ones that make any sense.

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
Jimmy Garofalo, I have to say, I was hoping we drafted him in 2014, the kid's got talent and the Patriots know it, they will never let him go. Landry Jones and Drew Stanton both make sense to me.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Is mettenberger really better than Keenum? I'd probably say yes but he's not a long term answer.

PartyKane

UDFA
Name
Alex Maldonado
Mettenberger is not a good QB. A team in Los Angeles is going to need a GREAT QB not somebody who is below average.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tannehill isn't going anywhere. But I'd totally trade for him if he's available. Daniel is a FA and I like him. Would replace Keenum with him. RGIII in FA is also a pretty interesting option.

But we'd still need a first round QB.

I don't like Jimmy Garoppolo.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I wonder if there's another guy. Maybe one where next year, the team he's currently with, would like to implement the head coach's offense which maybe the older guy isn't as suited for. But to be a care taker QB w/ his wealth of knowledge, a potential beast of a RB, a great defense and a brand new city to show off his HOF heading forehead might be the off season splash the front office would love and Mannion could learn to be "Herman Munster" from the man himself............. Can anyone say "Omaha"?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if there's another guy. Maybe one where next year, the team he's currently with, would like to implement the head coach's offense which maybe the older guy isn't as suited for. But to be a care taker QB w/ his wealth of knowledge, a potential beast of a RB, a great defense and a brand new city to show off his HOF heading forehead might be the off season splash the front office would love and Mannion could learn to be "Herman Munster" from the man himself............. Can anyone say "Omaha"?

I think it's best if he retires. He's not the same QB and it pains me to watch arguably the greatest QB of all time look the way he has this year.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Matthew Stafford, Detroit is in an interesting spot, he has 2 years let at high dollars. Probably wont resign. Would they take 2 firsts for him. Maybe the take foles back as part of the trade.

I don't know, but I would NOT offer 2 firsts for him, that's for sure.
JMHO

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
If there is QB worthy of our #1pick just draft him and roll with him and Mannion for the season. I just don't think there will be a viable option in a trade or free agency. I hear a lot about just getting a "game manager" but this offense sucks so much that we need more of a playmaker at the QB spot. Remember our TEs are below average and our WRs suck. This offense needs play makers to help Gurley, Austin and the Oline.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, that's the rub of life... needs and availability don't always go together. But I'm a fan, so I can't acknowledge that because that would mean I'd have to acknowledge the futility of us finding a good QB in the next year.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I would take a chance with RG3 but not at his current salary. His arm is above average and he can extend plays with his legs.I think this year he got a reality check and should be more of a team player now.And since Fisher is being retained he could help him become a better team player.With the defence we have and Gurley in the backfield RG3 won't feel that it all falls on him.Whatever way they decide to go one thing is clear we absolutely positively can't go in to next year with what we ended this year with.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Tannehill definitely not going anywhere. Stafford would be interesting, as would Daniel. Other than that.... Meh.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seem like bandaid fixes. Unfortunately we're better off drafting a guy and making him stick

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't like Jimmy Garoppolo.

Why? I love the kid and thought the Rams should have drafted him. And he's done nothing in New England to make me feel otherwise. Plus Rams would have to sell the farm IMO, to get him.

diggity

Rookie
The RAMS need to pair the teams move to LA, with a BOLD MOVE to acquire a TOP QB by trade or FA...or, pull the trigger on a franchise QB in the draft.
The names on everyone's "public" list doesn't mean anything. NFL GMs know who can be dealt for, and not all the names are in the news.
So, we'll just have to wait. Because the names listed here so far, basically...are nothing but back ups and question marks.
J.M.H.O.
GO RAMS!!!!