Top Ten All Time Ram WIDE RECEIVERS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

You Have To Drive 80 yards In 2:00, You Pick 2 Receivers in Their Prime To Help You:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Here we go guys. Wide receivers. (I had a couple of areas in the RB post that needed proofreading. Sorry 'bout that. :whistle:)

WR. A position that we have been able to point to with pride over the years....until recently, of course. We have had a tough run recently.:unsure: But take heart! Good times are on the horizon. :)

Again, I believe many receivers, (Or Offensive Ends, as they used to be called) deserve mention. So I made a bunch of lists. :sneaky:
  • Ten Best Wide receivers of all time.
  • Ten Best #3,4 receivers. Not meant to be the top guy, but sure made some great 3rd down conversions, and key catches.
  • Ten Biggest draft disappointments. Surely I'll get some of these wrong.
  • Ten Free agent fails.
  • Ten guys who left too early, and performed well for other teams.
You will notice some guys make more than one list. (n)It's ok. It's within the rules and bylaws.(y)

The top Ten Rams Wide Receivers of All Time (1000 yard seasons in parenthesis)
  1. Isaac Bruce. (8)
  2. Torry Holt (8)
  3. Henry Ellard (4)
  4. Tom Fears (2)
  5. Jack Snow
  6. Willie "Flipper" Anderson (2) Still owns record for most yards in a game 336?
  7. Harold Jackson
  8. Bob Boyd (1)
  9. Ron Jessie
  10. Lance Renzel
Honorable Mention: Billy Waddy, Preston Dennard, Jim Benton, Willie Miller

The Top Ten #3,4 Ram Wide Receivers of All Time

1. Ricky Proehl. Ahh, the snow cone catch.
  2. Az Hakim
  3. Kevin Curtis
  4. Aaron Cox
  5. Shaun McDonald
  6. Danny Amendola
  7. Drew Hill
  8. Carrol Dale
  9. Tavon Austin
  10. Dane Looker
HM: Ron Brown, Todd Kinchen :boxing: , Austin Pettis

The Top Ten Disappointing High Ram Draft Picks and Fadeouts
  1. Donnie Avery
  2. Eddie Kennison
  3. Brian Quick(n)
  4. Mardy Gilyardo_O
  5. Dwight Scales
  6. Bob Carey
  7. Greg Salas:(
  8. Sean La Chapelle:rolleyes:
  9. Lovelle Pinkney:headexplosion:
  10. Chris Givens:(
Top Ten Free Agent Fails:
  1. Mike Sims-Walker. :puke:
  2. Steve Smith.:palm: Wait, so there are 2 Steve Smiths? Which one did we sign again?
  3. Drew Bennett:jerkoff:
  4. Bucky Pope
  5. Kevin House
  6. Torrance Small. We found our big Man! :huh:
  7. Brandon Lloyd. Had some success, midseason rental tease. Did he have to slide on EVERY catch?
  8. Troy Edwards
  9. Pat Studstill. Not a stud. Still
  10. Yo Murphy. :coach:"Yo. You suck!"
Dishonorable mention: Mark Clayton, Laurent Robinson, Ernie Jones

Finally, The Top Ten Receivers That We Let Go Too Early

1. Drew Hill. Multiple Big seasons with the Oilers
  2. Henry Ellard. Gave the Foreskins 3 more 1000 yd seasons
  3. Eddie Kennison. A real late bloomer with KC
  4. Harold Jackson. A few more good seasons with the Cheatriots...before they cheated.
  5. Az Hakim. Catching balls in Detroit.
  6. Ricky Proehl. Carolina on his mind.
  7. Shaun McDonald. Almost had 1000 yd year-also in Detroit.
  8. Mike Furrey. Caught like 300 balls one year, For... you guessed it: Detroit! Why didn't they take Mardy Gilyard?
  9. Denario Alexander. He was doing so well in San Diego. We were all rooting for him, then...:mrburnsevil:
  10. Danny Amendola. Cheatriots, yeah, I went there.:unsure:
There you have it. Thanks gentlemen. There was an old-timer named Jack Bighead that spent one year with the Rams in the '50s. Talented. It didn't quite work out though. Equipment issue.

What do you say we look at KICKERS next? (Said to the tune of: "How about a Fresca?"):cheers:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I wouldn't put Lloyd on the fails list. Nor Mark Clayton as honourable mention. From what I remember they did pretty well for the opportunity given. Lloyd was a stud for his short time, and Clayton was doing solid until his injury.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
The record has come close, but I believe Flipper Anderson still holds the record.
I'd flip Hakim and Proehl on the #3 - #4 list, but the rest of it is good. I'd also put Kevin Curtis on the Top Ten Receivers We Let Go Too Early list as well. Once he was out of Bruce's and Holt's shadow after the 2006 season, he had 1,110 yards and 6 TDs in 2007 with the Eagles. He played only 9 games in 2008 due to injuries, but the Eagles went 6-3-1 in games that he played in. In the 2008 NFC Championship Game against Arizona, he had 4 catches and led the team with 122 receiving yards.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It was tough not voting for Ellard.
Bruce and Holt were an incredible tandem.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Maybe my memory serves me wrong but didn't Kevin Curtis come in and break his leg right away? I don't remember him every producing like crazy. Like I say maybe my memory is wrong.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The record has come close, but I believe Flipper Anderson still holds the record.
I'd flip Hakim and Proehl on the #3 - #4 list, but the rest of it is good. I'd also put Kevin Curtis on the Top Ten Receivers We Let Go Too Early list as well. Once he was out of Bruce's and Holt's shadow after the 2006 season, he had 1,110 yards and 6 TDs in 2007 with the Eagles. He played only 9 games in 2008 due to injuries, but the Eagles went 6-3-1 in games that he played in. In the 2008 NFC Championship Game against Arizona, he had 4 catches and led the team with 122 receiving yards.

I know. I had Curtis in mind for that list but forgot. Let's all just mentally add him around #8, shall we?:snicker:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Great post

You can tell there are a lot of younger guys voting, Snow never gets the credit he deserves.

Snow and Ike

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Maybe my memory serves me wrong but didn't Kevin Curtis come in and break his leg right away? I don't remember him every producing like crazy. Like I say maybe my memory is wrong.

No. He had a few good productive seasons for us.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I wouldn't put Lloyd on the fails list. Nor Mark Clayton as honourable mention. From what I remember they did pretty well for the opportunity given. Lloyd was a stud for his short time, and Clayton was doing solid until his injury.

I know, Jack. As I qualified with Lloyd because of his brief tenure, same could be said of Clayton because of injury, it was an overall failed free agent experience for the Rams. But they did have some success. Didn't they? All the more frustrating.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Bruce and Ellard

But i gotta give some love to Willy while we're on the subject....
Still holds the NFL record for most receiving yards in a game
336 <------ Thats sexy

Then of course there's his classic New York "walk off" TD

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Great list, and I'm definitely on board with the top 3. Still can't believe Chuck Knox cut Henry Ellard loose so early, he had a ton of gas left in that tank. Of course, given that Knox's football mentality was formed in the horse-and-buggy era, I shouldn't have been surprised.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I loved Brandon Lloyd - he's the closest we've seen to a #1 receiver in years..

But I have to say @Roman Snow hats off to you for all this work in putting the lists together

BTW I went for Bruce and Amendola... I'm assuming these guys are fit, healthy and in their prime ;) I've got Bruce stretching the field, because why wouldn't I and Amendola on the inside - the guy just had guts and fight to gain the important yards....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hall of Famer Tommy Fears "Made-his-Bones", so to speak, When running was the name of the game vs Todays Pass-happy league!!
Just had to stand up for the "Old Guy!!"

Fears_Tom1.jpg
Fears2.jpg
Fears4.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A lot of you guys are too young to remember Harold Jackson...but he was the real deal....And I know Torry played with Bruce & Warner and his stats jump off the page....hell some of his games were phenomenal....but Henry Ellard was a far better player....He was probably as good as Bruce...

Bruce & Ellard best 2 Rams wr...Snow was no joke either....And Flipper....well, lets just say he'd be dangerous today...

And, I'm still not ready to give up on my man Quick....:sneaky:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A lot of you guys are too young to remember Harold Jackson...but he was the real deal....And I know Torry played with Bruce & Warner and his stats jump off the page....hell some of his games were phenomenal....but Henry Ellard was a far better player....He was probably as good as Bruce...

Bruce & Ellard best 2 Rams wr...Snow was no joke either....And Flipper....well, lets just say he'd be dangerous today...

And, I'm still not ready to give up on my man Quick....:sneaky:
The Rams have had a lot of Great WR's over the years!!!!

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Drew Bennett was far and away the worst FA pick up. But for 2 guys you could hang your hat on.......Ike and Torry...... (Even though my first Rams memories was Gabriel to SNOW.......). But we've produced some solid guys behind the top 2 but those guys were just head and shoulders ahead.
BTW....everyone you have listed on the "Free Agent" list, wasn't a Free agent. I know Lloyd was picked up in a midseason trade.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Great post

You can tell there are a lot of younger guys voting, Snow never gets the credit he deserves.

Snow and Ike
True and neither does Ellard or Flipper. The Rams were mostly run first teams and the receivers had to be really good to leave any kind of impression.

ohiorams

Rookie
Harold Jackson is no less 1 through 3 and you don't even have him to vote for?
Lol at even having Proehl on the list.
This is all in fun so don't take this as some serious rant bout if you guys are in your 50s and don't acknowledge that ,you aren't hardcover Rams fans...and I know I'm not a hard core Rams fan.
In all honesty I think one reason he isn't in the hall is because he was in the Peter Gent movie and the NFL is racist in certain areas/to certain degrees.
His numbers were just as good as Biletnikoff's and other great receivers of the time before or since and he was top 20 to 30 in multiple categories after he retired for years after.
Put him on the vote or I'm boycotting the thread......ok,not really but that was dramatic,wasn't it? LOL