Top 10 UFA Targets (internal and external)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not totally convinced that the organization really has to go out and spend big money on external talent during the 1st or maybe not even the 2nd wave of free agency.

At the moment, I sort of lean on them signing their key guys, drafting well, and picking up cheaper stopgap types like Demarcus Robinson, Ahkello Witherspoon & John Johnson III like they did in 2023. Or did they just get lucky?
I think you'd def want a veteran edge, maybe it ends up being non-first-wave FA guy. But I think this team needs a vet edge.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think you'd def want a veteran edge, maybe it ends up being non-first-wave FA guy. But I think this team needs a vet edge.
Leonard Floyd...can mentor Young and another draftee.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
If Tyron Smith hits free agency which there is an indication it might happen, he would be my primary target despite his age which might make him more affordable/acquirable. The only other pricey options they should look at are edge rusher and CB.
For the most part however, I hope they focus on retaining their own free agents, building through the draft, and finding the Bargain FA pickups. The Rams have proven that quality free agents can be found after the FA frenzy ends and they have a proven track record of finding those budget gems. I have faith that they can find the next group of unwanted under the radar players like Witherspoon, Dotson(low pick trade), Freeman. and Robinson without spending big money or premium draft picks.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Tyron Smith is a future Hall of Famer, and still a quality LT in my opinion but there are durability issues and I think he would be expensive.

Smith has missed multiple games for each of the past nine seasons; and has played just 30 games over the past four seasons. That’s like 37 missed games. That’s a lot. By comparison, Andrew Whitworth missed just 2 games total in the four seasons before signing with the Rams; and Big-Whit was two years older than Smith is right now.

As to money, Duane Brown has been paid $10M per-year the past two seasons. He was a long time quality LT before signing with the Jets but Brown was not as good as Tyron Smith; and he got that payday at the age of thirty-six.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not totally convinced that the organization really has to go out and spend big money on external talent during the 1st or maybe not even the 2nd wave of free agency.

At the moment, I sort of lean on them signing their key guys, drafting well, and picking up cheaper stopgap types like Demarcus Robinson, Ahkello Witherspoon & John Johnson III like they did in 2023. Or did they just get lucky?

Well If they do that there going to be sitting with 20 or 30 million extra in cap space if not more and I can't see the Rams not spending up to the cap limit especially since they want to make one more run with the Stafford, Donald, Kupp core. I think they go all in again this year.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Signing our own should be the priority. Continuity. Then delve into the second or third wave of free agency leaving some $ for after the draft. Have another productive draft and then spend a little fixing what holes/depth are left. These guys are smart and have done a great job. I think they are still getting better, Snead in particular. I'm fascinated by what they might do with that first round pick. Take it? Move down? Move up?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Byron Young outperformed Chase Young this season, I expect to see him grow more next year
Chase Young has been invisible for the 49ers, no thank you
Go big or go home here IMO
If they can land one of the big time FA's, that's one thing, but if they cant, move on to an upgrade of Hoecht. And they dont need to spend big $$ to replace him

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well If they do that there going to be sitting with 20 or 30 million extra in cap space if not more and I can't see the Rams not spending up to the cap limit especially since they want to make one more run with the Stafford, Donald, Kupp core. I think they go all in again this year.
That would depend upon who they signed during the late second or third wave.

Whatever amount would be cap space that could possibly benefit the team if there were a disgruntled franchise player or cap casualty a team finally decides to move on from late, or even a trade deadline deal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams can easily spend 20-30 million on re-signing some (not all) of their own free agents.
Wentz, Demarcus, Witherspoon, Dotson, Alaric Jackson etc are all guys who could be back and could eat away a lot of that cap space alone

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I’m sensing that the consensus ROD list does NOT include Chase Young. :sunglasses:

Psycho_X

Legend
That’s what they said about Dante Fowler and Leonard Floyd before “the Donald effect”!
So I’m sensing that the consensus ROD list does NOT include Chase Young. :sunglasses:
That's a no from me too. Hasn't lived up to the hype and while the Donald effect might be real unfortunately that is going away sooner than any of us want to admit sadly. If we're spending big money on a pass rusher I want someone who is going to be performing after AD is gone in another year or two.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hasn't lived up to the hype and while the Donald effect might be real unfortunately that is going away sooner than any of us want to admit sadly.
The Donald Effect may be real, but it also applies to guys that actually stay on the field. Floyd/Fowler missed a combined total of 6 games due to injury prior to joining the Rams. (6.5 seasons)
Young averages more missed games (6) per season than he does sacks (4)

muggmeister

Rookie
I would love to see Bryce Huff in horns. 10 sacks while playing a limited role (Jets defense is talented and deep) and he is young. I think he may come a little cheaper than Hunter who would also be a great addition. In no way do I even consider Chase Young, his coaches in Washington said he is uncoachable, just does his own thing in search of splash plays. As far as Allen and Burns go, they will be franchised and I would not pay up 2 1sts just to sign them to Donald type money. A Dotson resigning would be great but not at the expense of paying elite money for half season of great work. If he's looking for more than 8-10M a year let him walk but that would unfortunately change our draft plans. Sure wouldn't bother me though if we found another Avila with our second round pick this year. Does everybody hear understand that the MAIN reason for success this year was due to drastically improved and stellar o-line play after the bye week? NEVER underestimate the importance of a good o-line. Snead would be THE TARGET but at what price and I don't think Johnson makes it to free agency. Bears got money and will franchise him or just pay him, they would be stupid to let him walk, he's a building block of a good young defense there. If we could get Dotson, D. Robinson, Shelton (in addition to Huff) to sign somewhat team-friendly deals we could target CB in the 1st, D-line depth, ILB (I love some Payton Wilson), K, WR, RB in the later rounds. It's kind of nice going into the off-season with some real options without glaring needs. Hell, I wouldn't even complain about a Wentz resigning and push the future QB situation to next draft. I think Stafford has at least 2 more seasons if we keep him upright and who knows, maybe he turns in a Brady-like finish to his career if we can keep him upright. No matter what happens, we sure like we have a better future than what we were looking at last off-season. Go RAMS!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure wouldn't bother me though if we found another Avila with our second round pick this year. Does everybody hear understand that the MAIN reason for success this year was due to drastically improved and stellar o-line play after the bye week? NEVER underestimate the importance of a good o-line
Which is why re-signing Dotson is so important
Avila is great, Bruss was not
No guarantees with draft picks

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If we sign a pass rusher, I just want someone with a relentless motor. Those kinda guys put pressure on offenses and its exactly what we need. If we combine that with an upgrade to the secondary, our defense should be solid.