To all you Asshole Face fans.........

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Payton hasn't proven anything without Brees, but he's still won a Super Bowl as a HC. Kyle Shanahan hasn't been a HC. Seems a little unfair to knock Payton for picking the right QB and helping develop him into a HOFer.

Even though I'd hope for more than one SB appearance (with a hof gb) during his long tenure, it's less a knock on Peyton and more a recognition that shanahan has taken several unheralded qbs and turned them into winners, and then Matt ryan tino the top offense in the league where as, we just don't know what Peyton would/could do with lesser qbs. I see Peyton as more of a speculation deal based on the circumstances.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even though I'd hope for more than one SB appearance (with a hof gb) during his long tenure, it's less a knock on Peyton and more a recognition that shanahan has taken several unheralded qbs and turned them into winners, and then Matt ryan tino the top offense in the league where as, we just don't know what Peyton would/could do with lesser qbs. I see Peyton as more of a speculation deal based on the circumstances.
Half of the QB's in the HoF haven't won a SB.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

The thing is, though, Brees was not a HOF QB when Payton got his hands on him. He had been slow to develop, but seemed to be coming around, then ended up with his shoulder injury. But even that injury notwithstanding, nobody thought of him at a HOF QB before his time under Payton. Nobody would have predicted he'd become the only QB to have multiple 5000 yard seasons - much less FIVE of them ... but he did that ... under Payton.

Basically, he built and offense and saw Brees coached up to the absolute peak of his potential. He wasn't merely good in Payton's system, he was HOF great in it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

When Payton was with the Giants, he took Kerry Collins from a bust and turned him into a solid QB. He also was Tony Romo's QB Coach in Dallas. He left to coach the Saints the year Romo became the starter.

Whether we hire Kyle Shanahan or Payton, it's going to be a speculative hire. We don't know if Kyle Shanahan can handle being a head coach. We don't know what Payton will do without Brees. I'll be happy with either because I believe both can bring the best out of Goff.

If I had my choice, it would be Payton because Goff is a perfect fit for his system and has a lot of traits in common with Drew Brees.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The thing is, though, Brees was not a HOF QB when Payton got his hands on him. He had been slow to develop, but seemed to be coming around, then ended up with his shoulder injury. But even that injury notwithstanding, nobody thought of him at a HOF QB before his time under Payton. Nobody would have predicted he'd become the only QB to have multiple 5000 yard seasons - much less FIVE of them ... but he did that ... under Payton.

Basically, he built and offense and saw Brees coached up to the absolute peak of his potential. He wasn't merely good in Payton's system, he was HOF great in it.
I'm not big on Payton but I believe the above is 100% true

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When Payton was with the Giants, he took Kerry Collins from a bust and turned him into a solid QB. He also was Tony Romo's QB Coach in Dallas. He left to coach the Saints the year Romo became the starter.

Whether we hire Kyle Shanahan or Payton, it's going to be a speculative hire. We don't know if Kyle Shanahan can handle being a head coach. We don't know what Payton will do without Brees. I'll be happy with either because I believe both can bring the best out of Goff.

If I had my choice, it would be Payton because Goff is a perfect fit for his system and has a lot of traits in common with Drew Brees.

I have a feeling Greg Williams will be back next season.
It makes sense Payton will be HC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a feeling Greg Williams will be back next season.
It makes sense Payton will be HC.

If Payton is HC, Gregg Williams won't be back. They hate each other. Payton running up the score against us was a middle finger at Williams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah I've been arguing that same point against the take many have that Brees was a slam dunk when the Saints got him. Lived in San Dog during those years and Drew had two poor seasons that trended downward before 2004 when the Chargers took Rivers, then miraculously had one of his best seasons ever. But the next year they dipped from 12 wins to 9 and the QB took a beating by the local press and fans.

Of course the Saints wanted a QB who had demonstrated he could play at a high level, but it was not some equation where the Saints scooped a Hall of Fame QB. Far from it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
NOLA.com

Rams set sights on Asshole Face; GM Mickey Loomis open to trade, source says
Updated on Jan 01, 2017 at 09:34 PM CST

-d2892076a107df14.jpg

The Rams are expected to pursue New Orleans Saints head coach Asshole Face.
(David Grunfeld, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)

• email_80x80.png
  • Payton and Loomis met for about an hour in the Georgia Dome after the Saints-Falcons game Sunday to discuss Payton's future, according to the source.

The source added it's still too early in the process to know the compensation the Saints would ask the Rams in return for Payton.

Reports of Payton's possible interest in L.A. surfaced less than a month ago after the Rams fired Jeff Fisher. Payton explored options last offseason to leave the Saints, as well, with Indianapolis and San Francisco as possible destinations.

Payton, who has been coach of the Saints since 2006, wrapped up his third straight 7-9 season after the team's 38-32 loss in Atlanta on Sunday.

When asked if he planned on being the Saints coach in 2017 during his postgame press conference, Payton replied, "Next question."

The Saints' sub-.500 record of late coupled with Payton's pricy salary is one of the reasons the Saints are open to trading the coach, according to the source.

Payton received a five-year contract extension through 2020 worth $45 million last January after his flirtations with other teams.

Comments

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

© 2016 NOLA Media Group. All rights reserved (About Us).
    The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of NOLA Media Group.

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Contact interactivity management.

Ad Choices
Well. There are now 3 openings in CA. I could see SD and SF also showing interest in him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I've been arguing that same point against the take many have that Brees was a slam dunk when the Saints got him. Lived in San Dog during those years and Drew had two poor seasons that trended downward before 2004 when the Chargers took Rivers, then miraculously had one of his best seasons ever. But the next year they dipped from 12 wins to 9 and the QB took a beating by the local press and fans.

Of course the Saints wanted a QB who had demonstrated he could play at a high level, but it was not some equation where the Saints scooped a Hall of Fame QB. Far from it.

Exactly. As you said, Drew sat out almost his entire rookie year and then had underwhelming years in his second and third years. The Chargers drafted Eli Manning at #1 and then traded him for Philip Rivers with the plan of moving on from Brees.

However, Brees responded by playing like a top 3 QB in the NFL that year. The Chargers franchised him to decide whether to keep him and trade Rivers or let him walk in FA. He played out the next under the franchise tag, and his level of play regressed to fringe top 10 status. He also suffered a catastrophic shoulder injury at the end of the year. The Chargers let him walk in FA. Miami had a shot at him but chose Daunte Culpepper with a bum knee over him.

Asshole Face, who had originally tried to trade for Tony Romo (the QB he tutored in Dallas), helped convince Brees to join the Saints. Brees joined the Saints, Payton designed a system that fit Brees's game perfectly, and Brees went from being considered what is now basically a Kirk Cousins or Matt Ryan level QB (Matt Ryan before Kyle Shanahan came to town) to a first ballot HOFer. Brees certainly put in the work and earned it. But let's not downplay the role of Payton in this. Payton wasn't like Tony Dungy. He didn't join the Saints when they already had an established superstar QB.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Payton is an offensive genius. Might not be a brighter mind in the game. Do his defenses tend to struggle? Yeah, definitely. I don't think he's particularly great at building a defense. But our defense is already built for the most part. All he has to do is get a good DC, which he's more than capable of doing and has done before multiple times.

Put Payton in Goff's ear and he'll reach his potential. Our offense will reach its potential. Our D just needs to stay good, and they would. Imagine a fresh defense, Quinn and Donald and Easley and everyone else, getting to play with a lead, our offense making them one dimensional. They'll be vastly improved just because of that. We have more than enough talent there to dominate with a competent O.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Payton is HC, Gregg Williams won't be back. They hate each other. Payton running up the score against us was a middle finger at Williams.

Agree - they were going at it in the side lines.,They have to move on from bounty gate. It cost Payton a lot in money,games,& respect.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not to mention, look at the production Dallas got out of Quincy Freakin Carter when he was the QB

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Payton is an offensive genius. Might not be a brighter mind in the game. Do his defenses tend to struggle? Yeah, definitely. I don't think he's particularly great at building a defense. But our defense is already built for the most part. All he has to do is get a good DC, which he's more than capable of doing and has done before multiple times.

Put Payton in Goff's ear and he'll reach his potential. Our offense will reach its potential. Our D just needs to stay good, and they would. Imagine a fresh defense, Quinn and Donald and Easley and everyone else, getting to play with a lead, our offense making them one dimensional. They'll be vastly improved just because of that. We have more than enough talent there to dominate with a competent O.

He might be an offensive genius but he would be brought here to be HC not OC. How is he at hiring and managing coordinators? How is he at managing the overall team? He had the benefit of having Drew Brees (as has been stated ad nauseam).

*as a side note: he's not available without giving up draft picks anyway, so I doubt he's even in the running

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Why are we interviewing Doug Marone?

Due diligence is one reason. Another might be that he is a candidate to take the Saints job, so maybe this is to gain a little leverage in the Payton sweepstakes.

You'll hear a lot of names thrown out and many of them will be head scratchers ... that's just the way it is during a head coach search. But most of them you can safely ignore.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Off topic...at least we know who the Chargers should go after! I mean... if you are moving your team there's only one logical candidate right?? :LOL: