TJ McDonald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Fisher seems to think he can cover, he should know a few things about safety's.... I think he will be fine, I trust this group knows what they're doing, especially if he was who they were looking at the entire time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DR RAM said:
BonifayRam said:
My main question is who is going to play free deep safety?

This final comment by NFL <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/t.j.-mcdonald?id=2539309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539309</a> is this.....However, his lack of agility and instincts could limit his ability to be a reliable starting contributor in a league that is becoming more wide-open. He will probably be best served as a sub-package defender who plays near the line of scrimmage.

With Darian Stewart as the Rams Only bonified vet starter who is NO Free deep safety standing there just under 5-11 @ 215 to 220 & Matt Daniels who is 6-0 211 pounder himself is also a in the box safety....??????
He's a free, no worries. We will coach him up.

Not to many over 6-2 220 plus pound deep free safeties in the NFL...Fisher & the new DC may have spent more time looking deeper into his past 2010 & 2011 seasons than in 2012. After his 2011 season he was rated one of the better safeties in NCAA....things changed a bunch. TJ was basically playing LB'er in 2012.

In the interview @ the combine TJ mentioned many times the ball skills....that's very important to me..I think that's what HC & DC were looking at too. @ this time TJ looks to be a issue for QB's to throw over due to his ability to get high very high matter of fact..something that Mikell or Dahl could never do. We now have two TJ's & a JJ in the Ram secondary. Your right about the coaching up ...he has three good ones in Jeff Fisher, Tim Walton & Chuck Cecil.

Draft is still not done yet we have four selections yet and we may see another safety selected. Matter fact FS Josh Evans would be a dandy 6th round pick. I will add that I think the selection of Ogletree will also help the secondary a lot from this point on.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
BonifayRam said:
DR RAM said:
BonifayRam said:
My main question is who is going to play free deep safety?

This final comment by NFL <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/t.j.-mcdonald?id=2539309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539309</a> is this.....However, his lack of agility and instincts could limit his ability to be a reliable starting contributor in a league that is becoming more wide-open. He will probably be best served as a sub-package defender who plays near the line of scrimmage.

With Darian Stewart as the Rams Only bonified vet starter who is NO Free deep safety standing there just under 5-11 @ 215 to 220 & Matt Daniels who is 6-0 211 pounder himself is also a in the box safety....??????
He's a free, no worries. We will coach him up.

Not to many over 6-2 220 plus pound deep free safeties in the NFL...Fisher & the new DC may have spent more time looking deeper into his past 2010 & 2011 seasons than in 2012. After his 2011 season he was rated one of the better safeties in NCAA....things changed a bunch. TJ was basically playing LB'er in 2012.

In the interview @ the combine TJ mentioned many times the ball skills....that's very important to me..I think that's what HC & DC were looking at too. @ this time TJ looks to be a issue for QB's to throw over due to his ability to get high very high matter of fact..something that Mikell or Dahl could never do. We now have two TJ's & a JJ in the Ram secondary. Your right about the coaching up ...he has three good ones in Jeff Fisher, Tim Walton & Chuck Cecil.

Draft is still not done yet we have four selections yet and we may see another safety selected. Matter fact FS Josh Evans would be a dandy 6th round pick. I will add that I think the selection of Ogletree will also help the secondary a lot from this point on.

Throw Duke Williams name in the pot too.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Our coaching staff and front office had a much higher grade on TJ than any of those scouting agencies. So we obviously see a lot more in TJ than any of those writers did. Taking those reports as the bible is unwise.

I believe we had a second round grade on him. Fisher commented that they were worried he wouldn't fall to 71

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Holy shyte...he hits like a dump trunk. I don't think Crabree's going to like going over the middle anymore.

V3

Hall of Fame
After going back and watching tape on him(not highlights), I'm not sold on him. IMO, he's strictly a SS. I wasn't impressed with his coverage skills, instincts, or vision. He's a solid tackler that occasionally hits like a truck. He has very good size and athletic ability. I'm just concerned about his pass defense. I think he could be solid if use correctly but Fisher said he'd play half the field, not just SS. I hope they can coach him up for when he's playing FS.

That leads me to believe this next pick will be more of a FS. There's no way we can enter the season with our FS's and we can't wait any longer to address it. Rambo would be ideal but I'm not sure the Rams like him. Shamarco Thomas is a SS so I'm not sure about that one. That leaves Phillip Thomas. I think that might be the pick. If not, CB could be in play because we are VERY thin at the position.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
V3 said:
After going back and watching tape on him(not highlights), I'm not sold on him. IMO, he's strictly a SS. I wasn't impressed with his coverage skills, instincts, or vision. He's a solid tackler that occasionally hits like a truck. He has very good size and athletic ability. I'm just concerned about his pass defense. I think he could be solid if use correctly but Fisher said he'd play half the field, not just SS. I hope they can coach him up for when he's playing FS.

That leads me to believe this next pick will be more of a FS. There's no way we can enter the season with our FS's and we can't wait any longer to address it. Rambo would be ideal but I'm not sure the Rams like him. Shamarco Thomas is a SS so I'm not sure about that one. That leaves Phillip Thomas. I think that might be the pick. If not, CB could be in play because we are VERY thin at the position.

Can you post the link to the film. I'd like to take a look at it.

The youtube cut-ups are fine for some players, but S are hard to evaluate especially when playing deep, from those as the angle isnt wide enough.

V3

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:
V3 said:

Can you post the link to the film. I'd like to take a look at it.

The youtube cut-ups are fine for some players, but S are hard to evaluate especially when playing deep, from those as the angle isnt wide enough.

They're on YouTube. Just look for the ones that say TJ vs. "a team" and that it doesn't say highlights.

I'll agree with you that watching those aren't the best way to evaluate but you can get some decent views. You might have to rewind it several times to find him though.

It just seems like he was a little slow to diagnose and react and when it is a pass, he just seems to be late or behind. Perhaps with better video, I might adjust my opinion but i don't think it would be that much of a difference. I'm seeing many other sites giving similar opinions.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what I think. What do I know? It's just what I noticed. Even if I am correct in what I'm seeing, Fisher and staff might be able to coach him up to be a really good S.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's kind of why I don't really worry. The talent is there, they can coach him and made him good. Is he going to be multiple probowl hall of game good? Probably not. Is he going to be good enough to not get burned all the time and help us win games? You bet your ass he is.

We have McDonald and Olgetree last year, we win that final Seattle game.