Titans GM: Trade interest is increasing for NFL Draft's No. 1 pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...terest-is-increasing-for-nfl-drafts-no-1-pick

Titans GM: Trade interest is increasing for NFL Draft's No. 1 pick
By Sean Wagner-McGough | Staff Writer
April 7, 2016 4:35 pm ET

Since January, Titans general manager Jon Robinson has remained open to the possibility of trading the No. 1 overall pick in this month's draft. In February, he admitted that teams were already calling him to discuss possible trades. A recent report, just earlier this week, even indicated that there's a 50-50 chance the Titans will end up dealing away that pick.

On Wednesday, Robinson continued to hint away at the possibility. Apparently, according to Robinson, trade interest is increasing.

"I would say that with each day we inch closer to the draft, the discussions probably become a little bit more serious, if you will," Robinson said, per USA Today. "That's something we're going back and forth with. Do we stay put with where we're at, or do we really entertain the thought of moving?

"I would say the interest has increased some. I wouldn't say there are 31 teams calling, but there are certainly teams that have interest in moving up."

Though Robinson's language about the possibility remains vague, he clearly stated that he won't shy away from executing a deal out of fear.

"I would say I'm not scared," Robinson said. "In the end, there will be several discussions with everyone in the organization. It ultimately falls upon me, but we will have several discussions.

"There will be valued input from a lot of people, but this is a decision the Tennessee Titans are making, not that I'm making."

titans_4716.jpg

Titans GM Jon Robinson continues to hint away at the possibility of trading down in the draft. (USATSI)
This could simply be a case of Robinson trying to generate some interest, but the decision to trade back would make sense. The Titans don't need a quarterback -- they already have Marcus Mariota -- and they could use the extra picks. The Titans do need a left tackle and Laremy Tunsil fits the billing of a first-overall pick, but the Titans also need a cornerback, a defensive end, and a (insert position other than quarterback). And it's quite possible the Titans could trade back a few picks and still snag someone like Jalen Ramsey.

Recently, CBS Sports' Dane Brugler ran through some hypothetical trade scenarios involving the Browns, Cowboys, 49ers, Eagles, and Rams. Of those teams, the Rams stand out, namely because they're sitting at No. 15 in the draft order, which should be long after Jared Goff and Carson Wentz are selected by other quarterback-needy teams, and because they're entering the season with Case Keenum as the starter. That's not exactly optimal. But, due to the Rams' current mid-round position, they'll likely need to overpay to convince the Titans to drop back that far.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25543745/nfl-draft-five-teams-five-trade-scenarios-for-titans-no-1-overall-pick
NFLDraftScout.com

NFL Draft: Five teams, five trade scenarios for Titans' No. 1 overall pick
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
April 6, 2016 12:10 am ET

As the owners of the first overall selection, the Tennessee Titans control the 2016 NFL Draft.

First-year general manager Jon Robinson and his staff will dictate how the top of this year's draft plays out, either drafting a player at No. 1 or dealing the pick and acquiring assets in the process. Most teams would love the opportunity to move back a few spots and still draft a quality player while adding extra draft picks, but it takes two to trade.

Is there a team willing to sacrifice valuable picks (or players) for the chance to acquire the top pick, presumably to draft a quarterback? Maybe. Since 2002, the No. 1 overall pick has been dealt just once (2004, Eli Manning) so it isn't a common occurrence. However, with the Cleveland Browns expected to draft a quarterback at No. 2, a team who has their heart set on a specific quarterback will need to leapfrog the Browns to ensure they can get their passer.

Odds are that the top pick won't be dealt this year, but here are several possible scenarios if there is a trade.

CLE.png

Cleveland Browns
Current pick: No. 2
What it would likely take to trade to No. 1:

• 2016 first round pick (No. 2)
  • 2016 third round pick (No. 65)
Why it makes sense: The Browns have to build a roster, but the priority is finding the right quarterback first and foremost. And if head coach Hue Jackson and the Cleveland front office identify a passer (likely Cal's Jared Goff or North Dakota State's Carson Wentz) in this class who they feel can be a long-term starter, then that is the pick at No. 2. However, moving up one spot to guarantee the pick could be justified. For the Titans, it would be a no-brainer move.

Why it doesn't make sense: The Browns have to build a roster. And instead of giving up a premium draft pick (and potential starter) to move up one spot, the shrewd move is to stick at No. 2 and go with the odds that the top pick won't be dealt.

DAL.png

Dallas Cowboys
Current pick: No. 4

• 2016 first round pick (No. 4)
  • 2016 second round pick (No. 34)
  • 2016 sixth round pick (No. 189)
Why it makes sense: 36-year-old Tony Romo hasn't started all 16 games in a season since 2012, including only four starts last season. Jerry Jones and the Cowboys aren't planning on drafting in the top-five very often so the opportunity to secure the future of the position should be at least be a discussion in the war room.

Why it doesn't make sense: With a small window remaining with Romo at the helm, the Cowboys are in position to draft an impact player at No. 4 who can contribute from day one. And it would take Dallas' second rounder as well to move up, another potential starter in 2016. The NFC East is winnable division for the Cowboys right now.

SF.png

San Francisco 49ers
Current pick: No. 7

• 2016 first round pick (No. 7)
  • 2016 second round pick (No. 37)
  • 2016 third round pick (No. 68)
Why it makes sense: In Chip Kelly's three years in Philadelphia, the Eagles didn't draft a quarterback in the top-three rounds. If he has a chance to get “his” guy in year one in San Francisco, it wouldn't be a surprise to see the 49ers move up to the top spot. Goff is a bay-area native, but even more importantly, his quick mental processor as a passer is an ideal fit for Kelly's system.

Why it doesn't make sense: The haul of picks to trade up to No. 1 would likely take San Francisco out of the draft until day three, surrendering their top-three picks in the draft. The idea of securing the best quarterback is enticing, but there is still a chance Goff (or Wentz) could fall to them at No. 7.

PHI.png

Philadelphia Eagles
Current pick: No. 8

• 2016 first round pick (No. 8)
  • 2017 first round pick
  • 2016 third round pick (No. 79)
Why it makes sense: The Eagles are set in the short-term with Sam Bradford inked to a two-year deal, but need a long-term answer at the quarterback position. They have been doing their due diligence on the top quarterback prospects in this draft class and if they fall for one of them and don't want to risk it, a move to the top spot makes some sense.

Why it doesn't make sense: First of all, the price tag. Without a second round pick this year at their disposal, it would require a future first round selection to make the jump to No. 1. If one of the quarterbacks falls to pick No. 8, there is a good chance the Eagles would take advantage. But with the offseason signings of Bradford and Chase Daniel, Philadelphia has stopgaps and shouldn't feel pressured to sell the farm in order to trade up.

STL.png

Los Angeles Rams
Current pick: No. 15

• 2016 first round pick (No. 15)
  • 2017 first round pick
  • 2016 second round pick (No. 43)
  • 2016 third round pick (No. 76)
Why it makes sense: As the organization makes the move to Los Angeles, the Rams could use a new face of the franchise. There is a lot of talent on the roster, except at the quarterback spot, which continues to be the weak spot on the depth chart. With two second round picks in this draft, the Rams might be able to keep one of them, taking some of the sting out of giving up so many valuable picks. For the Titans, it would be a gutsy move. But the thought of pick No. 15 (let's say it is Jack Conklin) plus an extra second rounder, third rounder and future first rounder, that could be appealing for Tennessee.

Why it doesn't make sense: It's uncommon to see a team move from outside the top-five up to the top spot. So it's extremely rare to see a team at No. 15 trade up to No. 1, mostly because of the cost. It would cost St. Louis several premium picks and possibly a talented player to make the move worth it for Tennessee. There is obviously a large drop off in talent for the Titans, going from the top spot to pick No. 15, which might be a tough sell to ownership and fans unless the Rams vastly overpay.

Trade640.jpg

Should the Cowboys, 49ers or Rams trade up for the No. 1 pick? (USATSI)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Los Angeles Rams

• 2017 first round pick
JMHO But I think, considering all the other team needs, this would be too high a price. Maybe if we through in a Player, that might bring down the price! the titans and Rams have been friendly in the past!;)

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Do it! get a franchise QB in Goff or Wentz and lets turn this offense around, lets watch our ROTY HB teamed up with a bad ass QB for years to come.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Wentz and goff will go #1 and #2. Teams will be horrified by the amount of money the average qbs received in fa. If they can lock up one relatively cheaply for 5 years they will do it. So demand for the top spot will be fierce. I wouldn't rule out the browns if they like Wentz that much.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
STL.png

Los Angeles Rams

• 2017 first round pick

Seriously? Draft Went or Goff and still have a 2nd rd pick to grab a WR....
"Deal. Good job."
200.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's pegged the compensation pretty close.
You think so? Idk man, i would expect a higher price.
For what this guy is throwing out there i'd do that deal without hesitation. It's not like we're talking about the 2012 Rams roster here fellas. Quit fucking around and go get a QB to add to this talented roster.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I think Snead is going to gamble that one of those Qbs will be available at 5-8.If so then I would try to trade with Balt or maybe Dal.at a much cheaper cost.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Wentz and goff will go #1 and #2. Teams will be horrified by the amount of money the average qbs received in fa. If they can lock up one relatively cheaply for 5 years they will do it. So demand for the top spot will be fierce. I wouldn't rule out the browns if they like Wentz that much.

This makes a ton of sense and frankly I hadn't heard it put that way before. Nice work.
This off season already shows how teams will over pay for QB, the draft will be no different especially when they can "save" money on a rookie deal. Particularly being that it's been proven over and over that teams CAN win with a rookie/2nd year qb

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What is the Tenn GM gonna say? Nah, I'm surprised, no ones interested. There's less interest in this pick than getting syphilis from an ugly girl while sober.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
If we did the trade in this article I'd be really really disappointed. I want a QB too, but not at the cost of mortgaging the teams drafts for the next two years. No thanks. If that's the cost lets just draft offensive talent and lots of it. Next year go after a QB to work with all the new weapons.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Personally, I don't think any QB in this draft is worth giving up that much. I know how valuable the position is and sometimes you gotta just role the dice trying to find one. But its not like we're a set playoff team and deep everywhere else. Giving up the farm for a guy and he doesn't make it might set the franchise back further than they already are. I'd rather just trade down and grab a Lynch or Cook. Then get the best available WR.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Snead is going to gamble that one of those Qbs will be available at 5-8.If so then I would try to trade with Balt or maybe Dal.at a much cheaper cost.
I agree, I think 6 is our trade target and has been all along.

TexasRam

Legend
If we did the trade in this article I'd be really really disappointed. I want a QB too, but not at the cost of mortgaging the teams drafts for the next two years. No thanks. If that's the cost lets just draft offensive talent and lots of it. Next year go after a QB to work with all the new weapons.

That scenario we have a top Qb and top WR from this draft (rd2) and also our 4th round and later picks. And 2017 we have all our picks except Rd 1.

It's not mortgaging any draft.

It's basically saying I'll give you my extra 2nd and my 3rd and next years one to swap 1st round picks.

Would an Aaron Rodgers be worth a first and 3rd round? Of course.

I like Goff a lot and would definitely give up a 1st and 3rd to get him since My Qb is a journeyman.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I don't think any QB in this draft is worth giving up that much. I know how valuable the position is and sometimes you gotta just role the dice trying to find one. But its not like we're a set playoff team and deep everywhere else. Giving up the farm for a guy and he doesn't make it might set the franchise back further than they already are. I'd rather just trade down and grab a Lynch or Cook. Then get the best available WR.
You're not going to be able to trade down and get Lynch, trade up is more likely now. And why bother with Cook when you have Mannion from last year.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
You think so? Idk man, i would expect a higher price.
For what this guy is throwing out there i'd do that deal without hesitation. It's not like we're talking about the 2012 Rams roster here fellas. Quit freaking around and go get a QB to add to this talented roster.

It was overall evaluation not just the Rams.
Like you I think the Rams have have to kick more in. The other second this year and maybe a later pick next year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nobody anywhere thinks any of the QB's coming out are real "franchise" types so why would the Rams pay that kind of a price?