Time to stop blaming others.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The problem is that every team makes mistakes during a game - winning ones included. They also make plays to overcome those mistakes - unless the officials take those plays away either with a flag or a swallowed whistle.

If the officials don't swallow their whistle on the long TD from Romo to Dez, that play never happens. Langford MADE a play and was applying pressure right up the middle. Without an obvious and egregious hold by the Dallas OL, Langford either gets a sack or at least interferes with the throw. And if the official throws the flag like he should have, Dallas is backed up 10 yards and has 7 points taken off the board.

Later, Sims got a clean sack of Romo that would have put them in 3rd and long deep in their own territory, giving us a chance of getting the ball back with more time. Again, someone from the Rams DID make a play - and then the officials decided to take the play away with one of the most ridiculous defensive holding calls in the history of football.

You have a roughing the passer call that extended a drive that resulted in an eventual score by the Cowboys where we would have otherwise gotten the ball back as well. The Rams defense MADE a play and stopped the Cowboys ... only to have the play overruled again, to the Cowboys advantage.

Did the Rams make mistakes in the game? Sure. But they also played good enough and made enough plays to overcome those mistakes and win a fairly and evenly officiated game. Unfortunately, that's not what they got. They shouldn't have to also be required to overcome excessively biased officiating too.

No team can be perfect on every single play of the game. The Cowboys certainly weren't either, with a fumble and a pick six. But I guess you'll give them credit for overcoming those mistakes, never mind the fact that they had a lot of help from the men in stripes.

One of the best posts I've seen here.

Very well said.

V3

Hall of Fame
That's absolutely NOT what I said. I said, and I will repeat in all caps, THE RAMS DID ENOUGH TO OVERCOME THEIR MISTAKES AGAINST THE COWBOYS. In fact, I gave three specific examples of plays they made that, if the officials had made the correct calls, would have been game changing plays in the Rams favor.

Again, the Rams played well enough to win. They played well enough to overcome their own mistakes. But they couldn't overcome officials mistakes at critical junctures in the game where they had otherwise done what they needed to in order to make a positive play.

I guess you just don't see a problem with that and are perfectly fine with us being screwed by the officials when otherwise the team plays good enough to win.
I was talking about the refs mistakes. The old adage, "good teams can overcome bad officiating". I probably got it confused with what you were saying.

I was simply saying that the Rams didn't do enough to overcome the mistakes that refs make. Refs make mistakes in every game to every team. The good teams can overcome them. The Rams aren't a good team.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I was talking about the refs mistakes. The old adage, "good teams can overcome bad officiating". I probably got it confused with what you were saying.

I was simply saying that the Rams didn't do enough to overcome the mistakes that refs make. Refs make mistakes in every game. The good teams can overcome them. The Rams aren't a good team.

Yes, refs make mistakes in every game. But if they are even handed, those mistakes tend to even out. They were nothing even close to being evenhanded this past Sunday.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Yes, refs make mistakes in every game. But if they are even handed, those mistakes tend to even out. They were nothing even close to being evenhanded this past Sunday.

To the point that they were inventing calls against us (Sims defensive holding) and ignoring the calls for us right in front of their faces (Langford's non-holding).

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
We might be talking about different things here when I was referring to teams making mistakes. It seems like you're thinking I was talking about penalties. I'm talking about any kind of mistakes like bad snaps, dropped passes, missed tackles, and even penalties. When a team continues to make lots of mistakes(any kind), it doesn't matter what the refs do. If all the calls from here on out go the Rams' way, they still aren't going to win the Super Bowl because they're still a mediocre at best football team, which gets back to my initial point, the Rams need to fix THEIR crap first before anything else because that's the biggest thing that matters.

I see, well in that case I both agree and disagree with you.

Agree- yeah, self inflicted like you described need to be overcome. Rams made a key few last Sunday.

Disagree- The Rams did overcome them, but compounded with the refs it was too much. Considering all the mistakes, they were still in position to tie or even win. That should say something. Also I don't think they're mediocre, I think they are average to maybe above average, all things considered (injuries, refs, etc).

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
welcome to reality. glad to have u as part of our team.

the world will never be the same for u now. everything will be viewed thru different eyes.

the distress you'll feel is natural. don't worry, you'll be fine even as the curtain is drawn and more is revealed.

I'm sufficiently unplugged from the matrix. Football was a vestige of my egoic mind. One that I've enjoyed. But it's just too in the world of duality for me to continue with the habit.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't think it is only Rams games. If you only watch the Rams I understand how it looks like a conspiracy against just our team but if you take a closer look at games throughout the league you can see how the refs try to control the games for one side or the other. It is as if they are supposed to keep them close and give the trailing team a chance to recover and possibly have a last minute win by someone in every game.

The refs in general are bad, maybe because of constantly changing rules and having to enforce rules that lead to judgement calls. If a play looks like a hand gets anywhere close to the head they throw a flag. It should be if you see it happen not if it looks like it MIGHT have happened.

For zero holding penalties in 1 game against Quinn to be true he would have to be on the bench. In 3 games leading to zero sacks for him, there is a problem.

V3

Hall of Fame
And my point is that it doesn't even matter if they were evenhanded last Sunday.

Think of it this way, if you had severe pain in your tooth and went to the dentist and he gave you novacaine, your pain would go away temporarily but the real issue would still persist. Fixing the refs would be nothing more than novocaine for a toothache. The Rams are still in need of a root canal.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And my point is that it doesn't even matter if they were evenhanded last Sunday.

Think of it this way, if you had severe pain in your tooth and went to the dentist and he gave you novacaine, your pain would go away temporarily but the real issue would still persist. Fixing the refs would be nothing more than novocaine for a toothache. The Rams are still in need of a root canal.

And I say bullsh!t.

Two can play the "think of it this way" game. So, think of it this way ... in the 1999 NFC championship game, the Rams made a lot of mistakes. But when the game was on the line, they made a huge play, the Warner TD pass to Proehl. By your logic, it would have been perfectly ok if the officials had thrown a flag for a phantom holding call at that point of the game, and you would have blamed the Rams for the loss, not the officials who got the call wrong at the critical juncture when the Rams made the play to win.

Even handed officiating matters. If it was evenhanded Sunday, the Rams win, even when their mistakes are factored in.

V3

Hall of Fame
And I say bullsh!t.

Two can play the "think of it this way" game. So, think of it this way ... in the 1999 NFC championship game, the Rams made a lot of mistakes. But when the game was on the line, they made a huge play, the Warner TD pass to Proehl. By your logic, it would have been perfectly ok if the officials had thrown a flag for a phantom holding call at that point of the game, and you would have blamed the Rams for the loss, not the officials who got the call wrong at the critical juncture when the Rams made the play to win.

Even handed officiating matters. If it was evenhanded Sunday, the Rams win, even when their mistakes are factored in.
You're ignoring what I've said in other posts. The 99 Rams WERE A GREAT TEAM! The 2014 Rams are not. The 99 Rams didn't screw themselves all that much, and when they did, they overcame it when it mattered. That's what great teams do. When there is a bad call on a great team, I can understand people bitching about it. I'm fine with people bitching about the officiating in the 2001 SB. Why? Because the Rams were a great team and for the most part did just about as much as they could do to not shoot themselves in the foot like the current Rams team does. No team is perfect but when you're a great team, that's about as close as you're going to get. At that point, if refs are still getting in the way, then fire away. If you're telling me this roster is a great team then I don't know what else to say.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You're ignoring what I've said in other posts. The 99 Rams WERE A GREAT TEAM! The 2014 Rams are not. The 99 Rams didn't screw themselves all that much, and when they did, they overcame it when it mattered. That's what great teams do. When there is a bad call on a great team, I can understand people bitching about it. I'm fine with people bitching about the officiating in the 2001 SB. Why? Because the Rams were a great team and for the most part did just about as much as they could do to not shoot themselves in the foot like the current Rams team does. No team is perfect but when you're a great team, that's about as close as you're going to get. At that point, if refs are still getting in the way, then fire away. If you're telling me this roster is a great team then I don't know what else to say.

Haven't ignored anything you said. And in using the example from the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl above, I've also shown that the distinction between being a great team and not a great team can be made irrelevant by bad officiating. The Seahawks that year were a great team and got robbed of a chance at a ring by officiating that was horribly biased. And neither the Rams or Cowboys now are great teams, both are struggling to rise into the upper echelon but not yet good enough to be there. In fact, they are pretty even in terms of talent overall, the Cowboys having more on offense, the Rams having more on defense.

Nobody will argue against the proposition that the Rams need to correct their mistakes. But your the only one here arguing that officials mistakes (or misconduct) is irrelevant, even though it was clearly and heavily slanted in favor of the Cowboys last Sunday. Your argument might hold water if the bad calls evened out or even if there was only one really bad one against the Rams with none against the Cowboys. But when there are at least four critical penalties called against the Rams that shouldn't have been and multiple instances of penalties that should have been called against the Cowboys, you are being willfully blind and as such, enabling the NFL to continue to put an inferior product on the field.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
TBH I'm quite sick of seeing posts blaming the refs for our woes. Im sorry if this seems negative but we done plenty to lose that game without the refs being a factor: Wells horrible fumble, Dez picking daisies out in the pasture by himself, Davis' pick six, letting D'Marco Murray run lose like he's the second coming of Walter Payton. Those blunders lead to 21 points by failing.

Yes there was horrible calls/no calls against us just like there was on the other side of the ball .... Jenkins tripping Murray that ended in a fumble? Haven't seen one post complaining about that.... Or any holds we committed that weren't called. Please, stop complaining and creating excuses to fix the problem. If 'OUR' players make excuses instead of taking ownership and 'correcting' the above mentioned issues we will be below a .500 team once again. Time to man the hell up and stop blaming everybody else for your woes, this goes for fans and the team.
If you think this was just another game with a few missed calls that lead to a loss then you are sadly someone that would rather pretend everything is roses and nothing is wrong with the NFL. you should watch the game and the well placed "penalties" and the DOZEN holding calls that Fisher said Dallas got away with on top of it.Watch his press conference. of course if we had been PERFECT we could've overcome it but no team is perfect. I just dont get how you can actually believe there is nothing going on after a performance like that.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

I was simply saying that the Rams didn't do enough to overcome the mistakes that refs make. Refs make mistakes in every game to every team. The good teams can overcome them. The Rams aren't a good team.
There was no "overcoming" the Sims holding call. It was too late in the game. The only thing the defense could do was make the Cowboys punt, which they did. But that doesn't excuse the butt fucking the Rams received on that penalty. 3rd and 21. SMDH

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think to sort of echo V3's sentiment here, and maybe I'm a bit off, but if I'm Jeff Fisher do I walk into the locker room and say, "Well hell guys, you'da won if not for the refs!" I sure as hell hope not. There were bad calls, absolutely. I won't deny that, but you also can't deny that the Rams themselves made mistakes to cost them this game.

I really like the growth I've seen the last couple weeks, and I think they'll continue to improve. But no, we're not talking about a team that is executing well enough to beat officiating.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I think to sort of echo V3's sentiment here, and maybe I'm a bit off, but if I'm Jeff Fisher do I walk into the locker room and say, "Well hell guys, you'da won if not for the refs!" I sure as hell hope not. There were bad calls, absolutely. I won't deny that, but you also can't deny that the Rams themselves made mistakes to cost them this game.

I really like the growth I've seen the last couple weeks, and I think they'll continue to improve. But no, we're not talking about a team that is executing well enough to beat officiating.

I think that's what Fisher tell's the team after that game, namely, we're not executing well enough yet to beat bad officiating.

I think that's a fair and honest comment that the player should hear. It recognizes the bad officiating without trying to shove it under the rug, and also recognizes the poor play on the field. The players need to know that they played well enough to win if the game was officiated fairly, but they also need to know that Rams games will never be officiated fairly, so they have to play at a higher level to win consistently.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I think that's what Fisher tell's the team after that game, namely, we're not executing well enough yet to beat bad officiating.

I think that's a fair and honest comment that the player should hear. It recognizes the bad officiating without trying to shove it under the rug, and also recognizes the poor play on the field. The players need to know that they played well enough to win if the game was officiated fairly, but they also need to know that Rams games will never be officiated fairly, so they have to play at a higher level to win consistently.
that's basically what Fisher was saying at the press conference. he made sure to call out all the bullshit but he always came back with a "we need to be better" statement to make sure it didn't sound like an excuse.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
that's basically what Fisher was saying at the press conference. he made sure to call out all the bullcrap but he always came back with a "we need to be better" statement to make sure it didn't sound like an excuse.
Good. Thx.