Tim Walton - The Problem?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
V3 said:
MTRamsFan said:
had said:
[hilite]It would be nice to see the Rams DBs jamming guys at the LOS, getting a little more aggressive, but as someone here has said, perhaps Fisher doesn't take that approach.[/hilite]

I think the only CB we have physical enough to jam big receivers is Tru. Jenkins and Finnegan are too small to try and re-route bigger receivers. What we need to do is play up and take away the shorter routes. I think these guys that can run with anyone, but just not physical enough to jam and re-route.

Jamming WR's at the line used to be Finnegan's strong suit. He's better playing man-D. He's horrible playing off-man.

Totally agree, but it seems Walton is using him exclusively to cover the slot in the nickel. I can't remember seeing him covering anyone on the outside today.

had

Rookie
Warner4Prez said:
Absolutely there is room for improvement, but we all knew there would be growing pains on either side of the ball, and we're still tied for 2nd in the division.

I think the Rams D might have jumped to a more prolific start, but you're absolutely right about growing pains. It's just that I think most guys thought the D was primed to take a step towards domination of the league. Myself included. Damned expectations. But it's not doom.

had

Rookie
MTRamsFan said:
had said:
[hilite]It would be nice to see the Rams DBs jamming guys at the LOS, getting a little more aggressive, but as someone here has said, perhaps Fisher doesn't take that approach.[/hilite]

I think the only CB we have physical enough to jam big receivers is Tru. Jenkins and Finnegan are too small to try and re-route bigger receivers. What we need to do is play up and take away the shorter routes. I think these guys that can run with anyone, but just not physical enough to jam and re-route.

I would disagree. But I love that woman in your signature. Is her name Suzie?

I think both Finnegan and Jenkins are strong enough to jam their man, and I think both have the temperament for it.

I'm curious about Laurinaitis. What does his body language in the first half show?

I think the Rams have the personnel to get after it a little more.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
A55VA6 said:
i just hate the defense. I loved watching this defense last year, but this year I can't stand watching it.
I gotta say, some of us must be forgetting their frustrations from last year.

The Detroit game, when they zipped down the field twice in the 4th quarter to tie and then win the game.

Green Bay -- Rodgers tore us up most of that game.

The game in London :sick:

The Jet game -- Sanchez had a good game?

The beginning of the Arizona game in Phoenix, when an UDFA QB was tearing us up.

The Minnesota game -- Williams called the wrong defense on the first long Peterson run.

Let's not go too much into revisionist history.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram Quixote said:
A55VA6 said:
i just hate the defense. I loved watching this defense last year, but this year I can't stand watching it.

The Detroit game, when they zipped down the field twice in the 4th quarter to tie and then win the game.

The beginning of the Arizona game in Phoenix, when an UDFA QB was tearing us up.

The Minnesota game -- Williams called the wrong defense on the first long Peterson run.

This is true. We gotta figure this thing out though. Otherwise it'll be a long season.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Im starting to believe the lack of finnys presence is how walton is using him. Maybe they were afraid of peneltys against the hawks outside receivers

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
CGI_Ram said:
Maybe we owe Walton some patience?

I mean, it's a new group for him. Besides; doesn't Fisher control the scheme?

I'm quite disappointed in our defense too, just throwing out something to consider.

This.

I was concerned that the Defense might regress a bit.....at least to start.
I was watching Walton in an interview during camp and someone asked him about the scheme he would be running.
He said it would be a bit different but that they would "retain some things and some terminology" - which is what started me worrying.

I think a "slight" scheme change with a new D coordinator might be some of the problem as well.

"Patients............young padawans.............patients........."

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The defense last year at least had some "umph" to it. This year so far they are letting teams go up and down the field. With ease.

Next up is Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Dez Bryant, and Miles Austin. Holy shit if they don't improve on what they're doing it'll be some major deep.

Graphicker

Starter
Cards are going thru some changes as well and I don't believe they have the talent we have other than PP.

Bowles Got It Done: Scheme Holds Potent Offense to 84 Yards on 25 Plays in 2nd Half and this is with the Cards going 1-11 on 3rd downs. Not like last week when they tore us up.. I'll keep faith.. He has had to deal with unfortunate events with 2 quick pick sixes.

RamsNation

Rookie
The cushion we are giving all WR's is annoying as crap.We are basically saying here take 5 yards and free release and we will tackle you after (maybe).Its stupid we need to starts pressing or at least not giving 5-10 yards cushion.If we disrupt the timing between the QB and WR's for 1 sec longer out D line gets their repeatedly.But if we give them the 5 yard throw everyday they will take it everyday and methodically drive the field on us.Its so obvious can the coaching staff really not see this,I think the staff is amaZing and light years ahead of what we've had in recent years.But they are not perfect and far from not being critiqued,but if us fans can see this problem they have to as we'll right??Idk it's frustrating,we were doing this last year and I thought it was a product of not having a true D Cord and not having a steady play caller all year on that side.I thought Walton would of fixed this but apparently he buys into this philosophy as well??It needs to be addressed,we have the corners to play bump and run lets do it.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I mean come on... is this coverage really necessary?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 2.27.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 2.27.43 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 140

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Ram Quixote said:
A55VA6 said:

I see what you're saying, but there is something different about this year compared to last year. It just seems like the defense was more active last year and gave up a lot more points because the offense was not very good.

But the offense is much better so far this year. Furthermore in both the Az and Falcons game the defense played better in the second half when they pressed the WR more. The Falcons offense was almost completely shut down in the second half (save the one touch down).

I realize this team might be a "second half team" but it needs to play better in the first half if we're going to beat good teams. We could have beat the Falcons if we didn't come out like crap in the first half (and the defense looked like swiss cheese)

EastRam

Pro Bowler
I was watching Walton in an interview during camp and someone asked him about the scheme he would be running.
He said it would be a bit different but that they would "retain some things and some terminology"

If this is true...Why would Fish allow this?

If the D doesn't get better soon then this is Fishers first boo boo

62ramsfan

UDFA
I was worried about the defense the first time I saw an interview with Walton. They say that a team takes on the personality of its coach: he just did not seem to have the strong, fiery personality that would be ideal. I was wondering if that would translate into a "softer" mentality on defense.

All I can say is that I also have hated watching this defense so far after enjoying last year's a lot. I don't see the varied and successful blitzes we had last year. That was a big part of that team's success.

I'm still hoping that it will get better but this team is almost painful to watch.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What you see there is the base defense its the Nickle. With TJ & JJ covering the outside & Cortland with the slot. The Problem is the secondary I am not really concerned with the front 6 its the back 5 where we will loose games from.

Early Injuries to the Ram secondary may be hurting us more than I thought Rams went through TC & pre season without our two vets safeties Darian Stewart & Matt Giordano. Giordano finally cleared as the season began. Now we have a serious injury again to S Matt Daniels who will have ankle surgery and is done for the season. :nono:I really like Matt Daniels play so its a big downer for me. Not so sure that Fisher will go into game three with only 3 healthy safeties (McLeod-McDonald & Giordano) so we may see safety Cody Davis get upgraded this week. The Rams 4th CB Quinton Pointer continues to be out too he could play safety in a pinch but remains out. So this Ram secondary has performance & health issues currently.

I am so ticked off @ Cortland @ the moment that if Pointer was healthy I would bench Cortland or another cure would be if Stewart gets healthy enough I would insert him @ McLeod spot & let McLeod cover the slot instead of Weak Link Cortland Finnegan.

As far as JL body language ?? I did not see much of that but he is the one having to call those pathetic mush secondary instructions out...so he may be ticked off too.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Warner4Prez said:
had said:
Well, I think Chris Long is hurt, and playing at a significantly reduced effectiveness, and I think this may have a bigger impact than guys realize. Maybe this Walton guy thought his front 4 would wreck the league, and now, not so much. Or?

Rams go down 24-3 at the half. Come storming back. Lose by 7.

We're not so far removed from the abyss where this game feels pretty good. Personally, I'm kind of okay with it, just knowing that we're not getting buried by one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

I'm kind of thinking Atlanta might not be a top 3 team, though.

Too early to say.

It would be nice to see the Rams DBs jamming guys at the LOS, getting a little more aggressive, but as someone here has said, perhaps Fisher doesn't take that approach.

It would appear, to me, that the pre-season was not effectively utilized in preparing this defense.

But I'm wrong so often that I hardly trust my suhlf.

Spot on with the Long injury. It makes a huge difference, I'm kind of surprised we didn't see more Hayes to keep him fresh.

Given some time to decompress though, I've got to say that ALL defenses in the NFL are getting absolutely shredded. Only the Chiefs have given up less than 20 over the course of two games. (Of course those bitch Squak/Whiners and Bungle/Steelers still haven't played). [hilite]So to have given up 41 on defense, though not great, is definitely a symptom of the times in the over-juiced offense era.[/hilite]
Absolutely there is room for improvement, but we all knew there would be growing pains on either side of the ball, and we're still tied for 2nd in the division.

Ah but we must subtract 14 from that total considering 2 TD's are on the O.....so 27 through 2 while scoring 51....that sounds even better

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
A55VA6 said:
I mean come on... is this coverage really necessary?

Not necessarily, however you will find that most defense's in the NFL play soft on the long downs and tackle short of the marker....not saying I agree with it...just pointing out the trend.

iced

iBruce said:
No one's going to mention how great our Run D has been?

Our Run D has been stout as hell..

but completely off set and almost meaningless when we're giving them an 8 yard cushion. It's almost effectively replacing the running game.. why run for 2 when you can hit a slant for 6-8 before being tackled