They had Goff's coach on Sirius today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A coach's comments ofna player is all but meaningless. It's like havin' the kid's parents say nice stuff about him. It's not informative.....it's expected.

'But'....., had he said some not so pleasant things......that would be noteworthy.

"I'm glad he's somebody else's problem now."

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
A coach's comments ofna player is all but meaningless. It's like havin' the kid's parents say nice stuff about him. It's not informative.....it's expected.

'But'....., had he said some not so pleasant things......that would be noteworthy.

That coach has a program, his school, to sell.

He has a system, Air Raid, to sell.

I believe that a college coach is always recruiting, always.

Bret Bielema is constantly selling Russell Wilson because Wilson came out of Coach B's Pro Style system, not because of his accomplishments at a Wisky. Arkansas is one of the few college teams that have not turned to the Spread and the Bielema way gets you to the NFL.

QB's under center, I formation or single back RB's, two TE's (H Henry), Power man blocking schemes....all part of Bielema's system AND recruiting pitches.

tempests

Hall of Fame

The coach is also one of the few who know what they're talking about.

Rather hear from them than people who have never coached, played or met with these QBs but still speak in absolutes about what they can and can't do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The coach is also one of the few who know what they're talking about.

Rather hear from them than people who have never coached, played or met with these QBs but still speak in absolutes about what they can and can't do.

Yeah, and I think it's important to read between the lines with coaches. When they offer up information that is not the typical sales type stuff I feel it is valuable.

With Goff it was that note by his coach that he improved while away from the program. I am sure that's true, and it is a great thing to hear when the NFL now makes it so hard for young players to get reps particularly the young QBs that have to learn playbooks in and around the restrictions on practice time.

With Wentz I think it is valuable to hear that he tore up the championship defense every day in practice while he was on the scout team as a redshirt freshman. No reason for a coach to lie about that tbh, and given Wentz's ability I do not doubt it. Or for him to talk about his competitiveness and then note him leading the team to multiple 2 minute comeback wins down the stretch.

NFL teams deal with that stuff constantly, needing to separate the canned BS they hear from coaches from the truth.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think the stories about how opposing defenses were told to knock Brock Jensen on his butt...then pick him up because they did NOT want Carson Wentz in...also speaks volumes.

Opposing defenses really have zero incentive to talk up another QB, especially one that's not starting...