The Undefeated: Are Jared Goff and Case Keenum that good, or was coach Jeff Fisher a QB killer?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I know some of you may be tired of the Fisher threads,but you read the title and clicked the link.:)

upload_2017-11-28_18-53-19.png

The term “coach killer” is football jargon used to label a player, normally a quarterback, whose on-field performance is so bad that it routinely undermines his coach’s game plan and eventually leads to the firing of the coaching staff. But there isn’t a term for when the opposite happens, when a coaching staff’s game plans are so insufficient that they undermine the skills of their quarterback. Until now …

FISHER
noun: fish·er \ ˈfi-shər \

1. A coach who makes his quarterback worse.
Origin: It is a derivative of Jeff Fisher, the former NFL coach.

After 22 seasons as an NFL head coach, five leading the Los Angeles Rams, Jeff Fisher and his staff were fired last season. Like many failed staffs, Fisher’s crew probably convinced themselves that they would have succeeded if they had only found a decent quarterback. By bubble-wrapping their egos in that theory, most coaches enjoy peace of mind for many years. But poor Fisher wasn’t even afforded a year of self-delusion because Jared Goff and Case Keenum became very good NFL quarterbacks almost immediately after being freed from his tutelage.

This season, Goff is 8-3 as the Rams’ starter under the guidance of 31-year-old rookie head coach Sean McVay. Goff was 0-7 a season ago. Keenum ended up in Minnesota with the Vikings, where he assumed the starting role after Sam Bradford, another former Fisher quarterback, got hurt. Keenum has gone 7-2 for his new team. He went 4-5 with Fisher in 2016. But their records aren’t the only evidence of improvement. With a Total QBR of 18.3 last season, rookie Goff was being called the worst quarterback of all time. So far this season, his QBR is 55.2. That places him right at the league average, which is promising for a player in his second season, his first as a Week 1 starter. At the beginning of last season, Goff was deemed unfit to even be a backup by Fisher and crew. He was third on the depth chart.

All quarterbacks should improve from their first season to their second. The average QBR increase from year one to year two is +5.6. But Goff’s QBR increase of 36.9 is enormous. If he sustains his current QBR, it will be the largest increase from first to second season since the stat has been kept. However, it might not be the biggest year-to-year QBR increase regardless of level of experience. That distinction could go to Keenum, Fisher’s other 2016 quarterback. If Keenum can sustain his 77.2 QBR (second-best in the league), he will have increased his QBR by nearly 40. The Vikings are Keenum’s third team in his five-year career. The first two seasons he spent in Houston, where his QBR was 48.6 and 39.3. Then he went to Fisher’s Rams for a couple of seasons, where he had the two lowest QBRs of his career (34.8 and 37.5).

To be fair to Fisher, he is a defensive-minded coach, so maybe the quarterback failures are not a result of his poor game plans. But hiring a complementary staff is one of the chief responsibilities of a head coach. And Fisher went through three offensive coordinators in his time with the Rams, so it doesn’t seem that he knows how to find the right guy. Goff and Keenum are surrounded by more talent than they had under Fisher, so that could account for some of the quarterbacks’ improvement. That explanation, though, isn’t strong enough to restore Fisher’s reputation. Only winning could do that, and no franchise is going to give the 59-year-old anti-quarterback whisperer a chance now. Which is probably for the best.

The stats show this season’s Rams offense under McVay is more productive. Watching the video of games shows why. This season the Rams are taking big shots down the field on early downs, when the defense is most susceptible. They are using receiver motion, tight splits and receiver stacks to keep defenders from pressing receivers at the line of scrimmage and to create mismatches and angles for the receivers to get open. And every week, they run a few unique route combinations that almost guarantee that a receiver will be open down the field.

In last week’s game against the New Orleans Saints, on one play the Rams overloaded the Saints’ zone coverage with four eligible pass catchers running routes to one side. Goff completed a pass to tight end Tyler Higbee for a gain of 38 yards.

McVay has taken the responsibility of scheming success for Goff. Fisher’s 2016 offense put the responsibility on Goff and the skill players to create success. The formations were traditional and stagnant, and the schemes were simple and predictable. On first down, they would run the ball or throw short, isolated passes. Fisher’s goal was probably to keep it simple for his rookie quarterback, but the game plan was obvious to the defenses. So opponents had a good idea of what the Rams were going to do, which meant that Goff had to be deadly accurate on every play or the receivers had to be spectacular. Fisher’s attempt to coddle Goff backfired.

Although Fisher is out of the league, it doesn’t mean that his way of thinking left with him. Goff and Keenum were fortunate to find situations that suit them. Not all young quarterbacks are that lucky. They get labeled as a bad quarterback before ever getting the opportunity to play for a creative and resourceful coach. Instead, they get stuck with a coach who is searching for a superstar quarterback to ride to glory rather than getting the best out of the players he has.

Domonique Foxworth is a writer at The Undefeated. He is a recovering pro athlete and superficial intellectual.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Fisher saw the potential in both of them.
They weren't 'Fishered'.

They were 'Weinked' in the 'Bor-ass'.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think NEVER getting a good/great receiver during his whole tenure was probably a big contributing factor.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher was old school in the way he built his teams. He started from the line out then he tried to build on the offensive line and Running backs. I think the biggest factors that lead to his down fall was his choices in OC and the biggest one of all injuries to his starting QB. How many years did he have with his starting qb finish the year out??

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think NEVER getting a good/great receiver during his whole tenure was probably a big contributing factor.
Unfortunately, I think Britt was suppose to be that guy.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Wasn't that Jeff Fisher's job?

And don't forget that he did bring us
Brian Quick, Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Show me one quarterback that played well under Fisher as the Rams coach.

McVay is the quarterback elevator and Fisher is the quarterback destroyer.

Fisher couldn't build a O line for him to pass behind.
Fisher couldn't bring in any real receivers.
Fishers game plan was based on 1950s football.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which was also his fault since he had total control. In the end Fisher was likely his own worst enemy with his philosophy on how to win in the NFL and his biting off more than he can chew with running personnel.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man....I have never seen a fired HC get so dogged by the whole football world the next season after getting canned. He deserved firing, but he's gone from coaching forever, NFL...Let the guy go fish in Montana and forget him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Which was also his fault since he had total control. In the end Fisher was likely his own worst enemy with his philosophy on how to win in the NFL and his biting off more than he can chew with running personnel.
Yup. Some of it was getting dicked over by Bradford's unfortunate injury history, but he never really tried to build the offense around him either.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Exactly. It was Fisher who thought it was a great idea to take Brian Quick over Alshon Jeffrey.

His obsession with athletes also hurt him in taking GRob over Jake Matthews.

Fisher never really had a coherent view of the type of players he needed to implement a quality NFL passing game, he just wanted athletes, and then he failed to provide assistants that could adequately coach those guys into quality NFL players.

One thing I've mentioned on the board a number of times is how coaches have to re-evaluate themselves and change direction sometimes. And my favorite example of that is John Robinson in the 1980's. The Rams offense under Robinson basically started out as Dickerson left, Dickerson right, Dickerson up the middle, repeat if first down. Quality passing and QBing was almost an afterthought. But at some point, JRob looked in the mirror and realized they needed a top flight QB and a good passing game if they really wanted to have a potent offense. So the Rams got Jim Everett, and the next season, JRob went out and hired Ernie Zampese as OC. The results spoke for themselves, even after trading away Dickerson in 1987, the Rams offense became one of the most potent, high flying and (get this) fun offenses to watch. Eventually Robinson was sunk by John Shaw's horrible management of the team, but nevertheless, he adapted and installed a modern offense instead of simply sticking with the same old crap. Fisher would still be here and would have been successful with the Rams had he did what John Robinson did 30 years before.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
He lost me at QBR.........

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It was Fisher who thought it was a great idea to take Brian Quick over Alshon Jeffrey.

His obsession with athletes also hurt him in taking GRob over Jake Matthews.

Fisher never really had a coherent view of the type of players he needed to implement a quality NFL passing game, he just wanted athletes, and then he failed to provide assistants that could adequately coach those guys into quality NFL players.
And we have the quadruple Bingo here.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They weren't successful when they were healthy.

I think it's somewhat admirable to win as many games as he could with the carousel of Kellen Clemmons, Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, and Nick Foles.

I'm happy Case is doing well, but c'mon it's not like he was a star before starting for the Rams, when into oblivion, then re-emerged when he got out.

I think 2012 to 2013 (with Sam Bradford) was the improving team he wanted it to be. 10-12-1 in that range, really should've been 11-12. Not good but not the 6-10, 4-12 year either.

This is the guy that went 13-3 with Kerry freakin Collins...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup. Some of it was getting dicked over by Bradford's unfortunate injury history, but he never really tried to build the offense around him either.
He did for a minute though. Drafted TA, signed FA Cook. Sammy opened up with monster games against Arizona and Atlanta. Offense was a little wide open. Really thought we were on our way. Then after 2 sub par games, Fisher scrapped it, never to be seen again.
Ugh.
Glad we are where we are but I truly believe it could have been better back then.

On a side note, I can’t shake the idea that had fisher signed Woods, he would have looked like a jag too and Cooper Kupp would still be on the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.