The Snead/Fisher dynamic is an interesting one, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Warning: This post might resemble the third rail to some. Especially those dug in on keeping Fisher.

There has been speculation that S&F will be fired after this season unless they finally produce a winning season. Maybe even a playoff season. I mean, isn't 5 years more than enough time for a test drive?

But I think that it will come down to two separate decisions. One on Snead. Another on Fisher.

Here's my thinking...

Fisher hired Snead, reportedly. At least had final say on the Snead hire. How's THAT for an unusual chain of command? Furthermore, Fisher reportedly has final say on draft picks, FA's, and trades. He has complete authority on hiring his asst coaches, training methods, game planning, mini camps (cough, cough), and just about everything else football related under the sun.

Snead's reported responsibility is to identify the best possible football players that fit the Fisher scheme parameters. Emphasis "Fisher scheme preferences". From 1st round through the last UDFA. Seeking possible trades, where appropriate, and evaluating possible FA's. But Fisher always retains final say.

So how's it been working? Well, our roster has had a huge surge in talent level under this regime, no question. But it's still looking for it's first winning season.

Who is gonna get the credit (or blame) for so many personnel decisions? Here are just a few of the highlights...

The RG3 trade
The Quick pick
The Jenkins pick
The TruJo pick
That last trade down in '12 that cost Bobby Wagner and resulted in Pead and Rok Watkins
The Tavon Austin trade up
The Ogletree trade down
The Barrett Jones miss
The Gaines HR
The Mason pick instead of Trai Turner
The TJ McDonald hit
The GRob pick
The Donald pick
The Gurley pick
The Goff trade up
Hayes in FA
Cook in FA
Finnegan in FA
The Barron trade
The Keenum trade
The Foles/Bradford trade
The Goff blockbuster trade up

And a whole slew of UDFA's over the 5 off seasons, including this year, apparently.

Lots of hits, obviously. Some were even HR's. But a few misses, too. Like every other FO in the league. No doubt some were on Snead and some were on Fisher. But which was which? You and I will probably never know.

But here's the thing. There was an executive that was always in the loop when it came to all of the draft meetings, trade meetings, and FA meetings. Kevin Demoff. He knows which person was most "right" and which person was most "wrong" on every single one of all those decisions over the course of the S&F regime. The ones I listed above and many, many more. All of them, really.

I'm sure he left the final decisions to Fisher, but I'm also very sure that he's kept careful track on his "scorecard", too. And of course will share that info with Kroenke.

So, it would not surprise me in the least if Snead were retained, even promoted to final personnel authority, while Fisher was released after a 5th losing season.

My bottom line if push comes to shove?

Snead is finding the players in the draft, in FA, and making the trades. Even late in the draft and well into UDFA.

Fisher's main responsibility is to win with talented players. But he hasn't been winning.

So far, Fisher and Snead have not been extended. Is this the "prove it" season for both? Or maybe just one?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
i say they just go out and win 10+ games and they both get extensions and eventually lead us to a SB win and we all live happily ever after

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Will Snead sign a new deal where he doesn't have personal control, regardless of the coaching situation? He's proved he knows what he's doing.

A55VA6

Legend
Yeah, I'm a huge Les Snead fan. Whether Fisher stays or goes after this season (contract year for both of them, I believe) - I really hope to see Snead stay. He's obviously got a great eye for talent, and he isn't afraid to take a big risk if he feels that player is a franchise changing player.

Just look at our team before Fisher/Snead got here.. What a mess. I think they are building something that can be special here in the next couple years.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Will Snead sign a new deal where he doesn't have personal control, regardless of the coaching situation? He's proved he knows what he's doing.
If employee ratings were to be complied by me. I would lean much more positive towards Snead than I am on Fisher based on the evidence since 2012. Snead would receive a above standard evaluation & Fisher would be rated below standards with some areas with major needs for improvements.

I also feel that both need each other & IMO much better with each other teamed as Duo than either would be alone @ this time. In a short time things could change in reference to Snead. I would say the future performance of the new QB Goff is going to be tied to both these top Ram administrator's. If Goff turns out to be close to what the Sam Bradford performance has been since 2010 they both will soon be out of their jobs with me stamping their Pink Slips with FAIL.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
We all have to remember how bad the Rams were when they took over. rams roster was worse than an expansion team. Expansion teams start WITHOUT having to re-do a roster. I've got no problem with the progress they've been making. When was the last time other teams picked up and signed Rams cuts? In the last 7 or 8 years, if you got cut by the Rams, you were out of football.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If employee ratings were to be complied by me. I would lean much more positive towards Snead than I am on Fisher based on the evidence since 2012. Snead would receive a above standard evaluation & Fisher would be rated below standards with some areas with major needs for improvements.

I also feel that both need each other & IMO much better with each other teamed as Duo than either would be alone @ this time. In a short time things could change in reference to Snead. I would say the future performance of the new QB Goff is going to be tied to both these top Ram administrator's. If Goff turns out to be close to what the Sam Bradford performance has been since 2010 they both will soon be out of their jobs with me stamping their Pink Slips with FAIL.

I don't see a scenario where Goff fails, outside of something catastrophic. And that's not going to happen because this is our time.

I agree that they are a dynamic pair.

We must make the playoffs this year or the development of the franchise will be set back years, which could hurt Goff. In fact I think the biggest risk Goff faces is what happens to the coaching staff if we miss the playoffs.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We all have to remember how bad the Rams were when they took over. rams roster was worse than an expansion team. Expansion teams start WITHOUT having to re-do a roster. I've got no problem with the progress they've been making. When was the last time other teams picked up and signed Rams cuts? In the last 7 or 8 years, if you got cut by the Rams, you were out of football.

We're no longer the "last stop" Rams. Now we're the reclamation project Rams. Hopeful soon we'll be the "winning program" Rams.

Time will tell.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Whoever pushed for Gurley keeps their job!

Seriously though, this has to be a prove it impressive season. Fisher has almost outlived his welcome with me. Nine wins with no playoffs or playoff wins would mean the guillotine if I were deciding. 10 wins minimum.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Seriously though, this has to be a prove it impressive season. Fisher has almost outlived his welcome with me. Nine wins with no playoffs or playoff wins would mean the guillotine if I were deciding. 10 wins minimum.
I agree, But the Question is mute because the Rams will Win 13 games and go deep in the Play-Offs at a minimum!!(y)(y):D:yay::yess::mrburnsevil:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Didnt Fisher and staff recieve 2 yr extensions? Or are they still negotiating?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Something we should consider in this as well, if we do get rid of Fisher, we should definitely keep Greg Williams, he has the defense playing very well, I'd hate to lose him. The only way I'm okay with getting rid of the fish is keeping Williams, and hiring an offensive minded HC. BUT, that would entail making Goff learn a new offense his second season, something that we put our last QB through several times. So all in all, I'm torn on it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I say that they are a tag team, a functional one at that, and after they do win, with a rookie QB, nonetheless, this point will be moot after the season.

Very thoughtful post. I appreciate it, and feel you are being fair, and make some good points.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

That was Fisher.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Warning: This post might resemble the third rail to some. Especially those dug in on keeping Fisher.

There has been speculation that S&F will be fired after this season unless they finally produce a winning season. Maybe even a playoff season. I mean, isn't 5 years more than enough time for a test drive?

Speculation? Where did it come from? No one knew Stan's intentions regarding moving to LA, but he's made it known that Fisher may be on the hot seat?

All of Kroneke's actions point to keeping Fisher, my opinion not withstanding.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's basically playoffs or bust this year. Can't still be losing more then you win 5 years later.