The RG3 Quandary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
[nfl]0ap2000000212735[/nfl]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213858/article/warren-moon-rgiii-should-keep-injury-talk-inhouse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... lk-inhouse</a>

Ranked #15?

I think he's a good player - potentially great. But, I am perplexed by the "love" that surrounds RG3. It feels like "more than has been earned".

I mean; what has he accomplished, really, in a 16 game career? (okay, I understand he was OROY... but that's not what I'm talking about)

I don't know if it's because of my loyalty to the Rams clouding my judgement?

I can't say I'm rooting against him. In that piece you have to love his attitude and how he connects with fans.

But; #15?

He missed one game and didn't finish another.

For me; the jury is still out... and a ranking of #15 feels like something more deserving than a guy with just 16 games under his belt.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know. Those lists are impossible to quantify or qualify. Who really determines where a player is ranked among 2800 of his peers? I find the whole idea of player rankings like that to be 100% subjective.

Was that enough of a cop-out? :lol:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Quite frankly, I find the idea of any rookie - or a player who has played as many games as one (Kaepernick) - being placed on those lists to be ludicrous and asinine. I don't care how good of a year they had; someone who's only played sixteen games shouldn't be anywhere near a list that features the best players in the league. Who says they won't drop off?

I live in the Show-Me State. They have to show me. Just my honest opinion.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Luck was better last year.... But RG3 is marketable... There's an obvious difference between him and Luck that the NFL is exploiting, and it's not the fact that he runs more.

I stopped caring about that top 100 list as soon as I heard about it a few years back. 100% crap.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They agree it's too high at Yahoo;

<a class="postlink" href="http://nfl.cpl.delvenetworks.com/player/popup/yahoo.html?channelId=de89a8aeb3e422bac4eb48567f10ebd0&channelListId&mediaId=3189334356eb4a409ee1adee24120465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nfl.cpl.delvenetworks.com/player ... ee24120465</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Washington was 30th in the league in passing attempts last year, and 3rd in rushing attempts while ranking 1st in rushing yards. That doesn't make him a good passer, but it does make him a good rusher - and by default - a good player. Now the ranking isn't based on top 100 QBs, so I can see how they can make a case for him as a high ranked *PLAYER*. He did do a lot for that offense - just not with his arm.

Fifteenth though? No idea. Again, I don't know how they're quantifying it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
bluecoconuts said:
Luck was better last year.... But RG3 is marketable... There's an obvious difference between him and Luck that the NFL is exploiting, and it's not the fact that he runs more.

I stopped caring about that top 100 list as soon as I heard about it a few years back. 100% crap.

And there we have it. Luck looks like he came in a close 2nd at the Geico caveman auditions and Griffin is a good looking kid with a million dollar smile.

Protect The Shield is just another way of saying Earn More Cheddar. Or Make The Pie Higher or whatever.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
LesBaker said:
bluecoconuts said:

And there we have it. Luck looks like he came in a close 2nd at the Geico caveman auditions and Griffin is a good looking kid with a million dollar smile.

Protect The Shield is just another way of saying Earn More Cheddar. Or Make The Pie Higher or whatever.
Let's not forget where he's playing. If Cleveland had won the #2 pick from us would he have even sniffed the top 50? If the Rams had taken him, would he have even been in the top 100?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Memento said:
Quite frankly, I find the idea of any rookie - or a player who has played as many games as one (Kaepernick) - being placed on those lists to be ludicrous and asinine. I don't care how good of a year they had; someone who's only played sixteen games shouldn't be anywhere near a list that features the best players in the league. Who says they won't drop off?

I live in the Show-Me State. They have to show me. Just my honest opinion.

This ^^^ And 15? Really?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I ain't interested in lists like that one, just fuel for arguments .
I guarantee Fisher isn't either.

jap

Legend
I'll tell you this much: we'll line up against the "15th ranked player" any damn time!!! :twisted: :lol:

A55VA6

Legend
RG3 shouldn't even be on the list. Overrated scumbag.

Put Chris Long on the list. Man, that list is junk.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I guess Timmy Smith should be considered for the Hall of Fame based on how this works.

wv

Rookie
I think rg3's one of the five or six best players in the NFL.

I dont factor 'longevity' into a 'best player' list. Longevity
would be a different list to me.

"Lists" are always silly, though, to state the obvious.
Its all subjective.

w
v

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Top 100 is possible and I can see that based on his potential if he doesn't get smashed to bits by the Shanahans. But not 15, thats a fools gambit. FFS I can name 5 or 6 guys at QB that are better than him, a handful of RBs including the guy on his team, several receivers, and that's not even bringing the defense and OL into the discussion.

It's the offseason and so we see articles with lists and other dumb azz topics. Writers still have to produce articles and accuracy was, is and never will be mission critical in that biz.

Top 100 and no Long means this list should be printed on TP.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'll say this and let's see what unfolds this year.

The NFL is a passing league. And that passing is getting easier to do.

So.....

How intelligent is it to give up the number of premium selections that Washington did for a QB who was best known for his running, and still is best known for his running?

If you were a shrewd GM would you want a guy under center who is wholly reliant on a fantastic RB behind him and his own running ability and doesn't have enough passing skills to be trusted to operate out of a trick offense?

Would you consider that to be a comfortable place? To have a guy as slight as Griffin, injured twice already, running around in the backfield and across the LOS?

It's a bad bet unless you are just looking to cash in on the last couple of years of your contract like the Shanahans probably are.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I rank bob as 0 - 1 against the Holiest of Holies.

I'll also add that I think his hair looks gay.

That Is All.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
On the other hand, he led them to their first appearance in the playoffs in many years. I think many of us would be singing a different tune if he was a Ram. Although like most of us, I'd rather have Sam.

lockdnram21

Legend
Imo hes that good and if can stay healthy will only get better. I wish we would have gotten Rg3 but i know our team wouldnt be as good as we are or have got all the players that we did. So im glad we didnt get him because we wouldn have all players we have

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lockdnram21 said:
Imo hes that good and if can stay healthy will only get better.

Agree.

But some guys always seem to get hit hard. Pettis. Amendola. RG3. etc.

Unless they make RG3 into a passer, he'll continue to expose himself to hits. And... I don't think his frame is suited for the hits.