The Rams are not currently negotiating with Watkins or Joyner...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Hear me out.

Haven’t been for quite some time, actually.

They’ve been negotiating with the respective agents. The agents are committed to maximizing their clients contracts and neither is in a big rush. Time is certainly on their side.

I hope that we posters understand the distinction because it’s a huge one.

So, it behooves us to be patient right now because these wheels can grind very slowly.

Take Joyner, for example. He’s tagged so the whole world knows what he’s gonna earn until and unless he agrees to an extension. There are big advantages for him with an extension, not the least of which is the g-jack which provides injury insurance. There are others, as well, but what’s the rush? Camp isn’t until July same as his negotiation deadline. If it had been strictly up to Joyner I think that he would have signed long ago. But he was smart enough to listen to his agent. As a result, he will make millions more.

My larger point is that the respective agents for our various UFA’s have a different agenda than the Rams or we fans. Expect some time consuming and difficult negotiations over the next few months. They know that the Rams want to keep their core intact. And that the playoff window is now open and the Rams want to take full advantage. Lastly, they also know that Demoff has wisely maintained considerable cap room and each agent wants his fair share (and then some). All this will take time.

As an aside, this trend is more problematic on a team such as the Rams with so many talented UFA’s coming up every year. A nice problem to have, as McVay said, but still...

Excellent drafting is necessary to keep the pipeline full with incoming future starters that ensure inexpensive alternatives to these expensive FA auctions each year. Sigh...

tempests

Hall of Fame
"Locking up Joyner" is not a given either. Rams have not agreed to a second contract with any of their defensive backs since Ron Bartell.

jap

Legend
I am concerned about our future #1 receiver, whether it is Sammy or someone else. I would want any new receiver to spend as much time playing catch with Jared as possible to fully establish that all important rapport. I suppose the Horns will be prioritizing their player negotiation schedules. I just hope the business issues get settled as quickly as possible so the football preparation can commence, officially (training camp, etc.) and unofficially (Jared had his fly guys playing catch).

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am concerned about our future #1 receiver, whether it is Sammy or someone else. I would want any new receiver to spend as much time playing catch with Jared as possible to fully establish that all important rapport. I suppose the Horns will be prioritizing their player negotiation schedules. I just hope the business issues get settled as quickly as possible so the football preparation can commence, officially (training camp, etc.) and unofficially (Jared had his fly guys playing catch).
I hear you, but I am not sure the Rams truly need a #1 in McVay's offense. They need a deep threat for sure, which is what Sammy provided. Hopefully we can get him back, but I would imagine we end up shopping for someone cheaper in FA and bringing Reynolds along. I know Reynolds is not a burner, per se, but he is a long strider who I think will do pretty well at getting behind the defense and drawing coverage deep. Otherwise, they will shop for a cheaper veteran option I would think.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hear you, but I am not sure the Rams truly need a #1 in McVay's offense.

This is corect and several of us have been pointing it out..........this is not a typical offense it's predicated on going after the entire field with different types of WR's.

Green Bay has been doing this for many years and I think they were the first to really copy what the GSOT was doing. But with lesser talent at WR. Others have followed too of course.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is corect and several of us have been pointing it out..........this is not a typical offense it's predicated on going after the entire field with different types of WR's.

Green Bay has been doing this for many years and I think they were the first to really copy what the GSOT was doing. But with lesser talent at WR. Others have followed too of course.

And of course, when McVay was hired, it was expected that the Rams' offense would be a TE offense - and his first draft pick was a TE toy, who is still developing. Next season I do expect more throws to go to Everett especially, along with more two TE sets, with throws going to two receivers, two TEs or Gurley - or Gurley running instead.

It's not that the Rams wouldn't like somebody like Watkins back. It's that with limited resources tough decisions have to be made.

jap

Legend
I hear you, but I am not sure the Rams truly need a #1 in McVay's offense. They need a deep threat for sure, which is what Sammy provided. Hopefully we can get him back, but I would imagine we end up shopping for someone cheaper in FA and bringing Reynolds along. I know Reynolds is not a burner, per se, but he is a long strider who I think will do pretty well at getting behind the defense and drawing coverage deep. Otherwise, they will shop for a cheaper veteran option I would think.

I employed the generic term "#1 WR," but I really meant what you stated, a receiver dangerous enough to be a deep threat and consistently draw double coverage. That is how I saw Sammy, and (assuming he stays) I feel that establishing a solid rapport with Jared would help to elevate this offense another level or more. Josh is not a burner, no, but he seems to have an innate ability to adjust very well to the thrown ball, and he is willing to fight for the rock and make the tough catch. Allen definitely looks like he has the tools to provide a similar effect as a fully engaged Sammy who is in sync with Jared. If the Horns look to him as a starting prospect, I would expect them to have his knee medically cleared by their own medical personnel.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As it stands right now teams will line their best up over either Woods or Kupp and remove them. It's a significant issue to lose Watkins in terms of Jared's security blanket type number of options, as well as allowing the defense to roll it up tight. Not like the team cannot overcome it, though, they can IF they get improved play from Reynolds OR otherwise add someone who can be a deep threat teams need to acknowledge.

But either way if Watkins walks they're losing not only the function he provided last year, but the additional usage he would have gotten with McVay aligning things better around him. Because the truth is that he ran open all over the joint last year and after another camp with him I am certain teams won't be able to just show a pre-snap look to discourage Jared from going to him in certain situations. And I am certain he would be an early read on a lot more down/distance situations to ensure he is more involved.

So hope this gets done. But it is concerning to me that this front office seems to have a real problem retaining their good players. Gonna wait and see how this goes down, but meh.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I’m curious how these things work. For example, if Watkins didn’t mind taking a lower paycheck, but his agent doesn’t want him to do that, can’t he sign anyways? It’s ultimately his decision. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s not as black and white as that, but it’s interesting to see what the process is. From my perspective, I know I’m making millions regardless, and if I love where I’m playing, I wouldn’t have an issue not getting the best contract available. Some players obviously have different motivations.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Losing Sammy will be big. Unless you replace him. Um, how many years in recent history were we clammoring for a #1?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I hear you, but I am not sure the Rams truly need a #1 in McVay's offense.

We already have Woods, who's the go-to-guy and he's been locked up for a while, so I'd say that Woods is our #1 WR.

True, McVay does throw the ball around to all receivers and HBs, this in mind keeps opposing DCs honest and guessing who will be the 'main' target.

Watkins has that prototypical big receiver "#1" physique which demands the biggest and best opposing WR to be marking him, which is the biggest asset to this offense if you ask me, and I think that was made clear to him this past season by McVay, after he tweeted that thing about give me the ball or something. Would I be happy if we signed him to a length contract, hell yes is my answer - a trio of Watkins, Woods and Kupp could serve us well for years to come, all of whom would grow with Goff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’m curious how these things work. For example, if Watkins didn’t mind taking a lower paycheck, but his agent doesn’t want him to do that, can’t he sign anyways? It’s ultimately his decision. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s not as black and white as that, but it’s interesting to see what the process is. From my perspective, I know I’m making millions regardless, and if I love where I’m playing, I wouldn’t have an issue not getting the best contract available. Some players obviously have different motivations.

I think we can rule out Sammy taking a lower paycheck given that he's not signed yet. The Rams aren't the only place he can settle in with a good offensive staff, and tbh I am not sure he's smart enough to realize how important that is. He probably is going to do what a lot of players do (not judging here btw, as many of us take higher paying jobs regardless of other factors) and take the most money.

Rams might be able to offer him enough, but if the rumors of them going 1-2 years are true it means it ain't gonna happen. You're not gonna get him without going 3 years, as he'll get that or maybe more on the market.

Sammy comes with risk. But if the Rams want him they need to accept that they're going to have to offer something at least in that Jeffery range of contract length and cost IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And of course, when McVay was hired, it was expected that the Rams' offense would be a TE offense - and his first draft pick was a TE toy, who is still developing. Next season I do expect more throws to go to Everett especially, along with more two TE sets, with throws going to two receivers, two TEs or Gurley - or Gurley running instead.

It's not that the Rams wouldn't like somebody like Watkins back. It's that with limited resources tough decisions have to be made.

Limited Resources is key here...you have to look further than this moment in time on these big pay day big guaranteed $$$ contracts with the future prominent in the Orgs minds. Next year @ this same time the Rams Org will be facing even bigger problems :sadwalk:than they have now.

The Receiving units (TE/WR/SL/RB) are all very young & have some excellent talent most of it latent & cloaked during the 2017 season. Rams have invested heavy in these units in 2016/2017. I believe it would be a major mistake :huh: to under estimate the talent that Snead & McVay have @ their disposal already signed signed for 2018.

Contracts on the below will expire unless they can get something done during this year. The Rams will have EIGHT (8) Starters entering free agency & 5 RFA's unless they re-up their contracts:

DT Aaron Donald
RB Todd Gurley (5th yr option available)
LG Rodger Saffold
RG Jamon Brown
RT Rob Havenstein
NT Ethan Westbrooks
FS Lamarcus Joyner
CB Kayvon Webster

Most would have to agree there will be some serious cap funding issues next season. Most of these above are very important to this teams future & the chances to compete for a championship. I agree with @Akrasian some really tough decisions will have to be made (time to man up). I would add to this & say "with the future in mind ".
Well, there’s Cody Davis.
Cody played very well last season until his thigh injury. I believe he can be retained @ econo cap price. Having Cody here put a speed agent in the deep secondary & permits Wade to move Joyner to cover the slot. When we lost Webster it shifted NR-C out of the Nickle into full time outside corner. The vacant Nickle was covered by FS Joyner. The vacant FS post was then filled by Marqui Christian :palm: & Blake Countess. This domino effect caused the secondary to blow more than a few coverage's with those two back up safeties playing.

With the upcoming very big Joyner contract & the lack of talent :lifting: present in the reserve safety unit I would not be surprised to see a safety selected in this 2018 draft, just in case LJ does not want to be a Ram any longer after 2018.;)

Last edited:

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of my worries has been Watkins coming up here to play for SF. I wonder if our two new CB additions has influenced Sammy's thinking at all.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I love woods and Kupp but without a Sammy or a true number one, they cannot be running open all over the field. Watkins has to be brought back or someone like Richardson or my dream as you all know Allen Robinson. Yes this offense spreads the ball but you have to have a legit 1a to have it run smoothly maybe you can get away with a 1b but who is a 1b only dude I can think of with potential and with pieces around him is Richardson.